Author Topic: [Updated] Wireless GH60  (Read 154842 times)

Offline agodinhost

• Soylent green is people ...
    • Dr Ian O Xaman
Re: [Updated] Wireless GH60
« Reply #150 on: Tue, 09 April 2013, 12:09:45 »
how do you passthrough data to the USB (to program the arduino/teensy)?
When on 5v only two simple wires.
I need to finish the post where I was supposed to show this wiring but I'm still waiting for these modules.
As soon as they arrive I'll be able to post the wiring pictures and to test the 3,3v wiring before pushing to you guys.

Take a look at my USB Header ...
Building one square I2C keyboard with those 1200 switches (thanks JDCarpe)
GH60 |GH60-Alps |GH60-BT |GHPad/GHPad Alps |GH60-Case |Alps TKL |EL Wire |OS Controller, Round 2 |My Custom Keyboard |WTT/WTB

Offline agodinhost

• Dr Ian O Xaman
« Reply #151 on: Tue, 09 April 2013, 12:40:22 »
Reading the Sparkfun's forum I saw that they sell two RN-42 "versions" there: one without the HID firmware pre-installed by 16 bucks and another one that come with the HID firmware by 20 bucks.
Be careful when buying then because the modules are the same, there is no way to identify then visually, only the firmware is different ...

The cheapest price I've found for the RN-42 HID version until so far is 20 bucks (plus US$ 9 shipping)
Please, anyone got it for less?
GH60 |GH60-Alps |GH60-BT |GHPad/GHPad Alps |GH60-Case |Alps TKL |EL Wire |OS Controller, Round 2 |My Custom Keyboard |WTT/WTB

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #152 on: Tue, 09 April 2013, 12:58:55 »
mouser has them for 17 or 18/ea in qs of 1 to 40. i'm guessing this is the hid not installed version. if you have the hid installed/uninstalled part numbers, you can look the prices..

to all the brilliant friends who have left us, and all the students who climb on their shoulders.

Offline hasu

• @tmk
    • tmk keyboard firmware project
« Reply #153 on: Tue, 09 April 2013, 18:54:08 »
Firmware version of RN-42 is more important and you should sure it has latest version, IMO.

Because Roving module cannot be updated by consumers as I posted.
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=40514.msg840307#msg840307

Offline tlt

« Reply #154 on: Wed, 10 April 2013, 16:33:12 »
Hi, I have been planing to make a custom wireless keyboard and have done some experiments with the Bluetooth & LiPo Add-On for Makey Makey and a Atmega32u4 breakout also from Sparkfun. With this board you get HID Bluetooth, battery charging and powering of BT module and controller on the same board. I'm running the controller at 16Mhz on 3,7 volt and that seems to work fine. Sparkfun is doing the same thing with the Makey Makey. Atmega32u4 breakout have a 3,3 volt jumper and It is suppose to run fine att 16Mhz even thought it's overclocking it.

I haven't found the schematics for the GH60 but It wound be good to have the UART, I2C on the expansion port.

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #155 on: Wed, 10 April 2013, 16:56:43 »
that BT module is killer, tlt! gotta try it!

Offline agodinhost

• Dr Ian O Xaman
« Reply #156 on: Wed, 10 April 2013, 18:00:53 »
I haven't found the schematics for the GH60 but It wound be good to have the UART, I2C on the expansion port.
Yup, it would be good for expansions ...

Offline hasu

• @tmk
« Reply #157 on: Sat, 20 April 2013, 02:15:12 »
I updated my WT12 to iWRAP5 and fixed my code to support both vertical and horizontal mouse wheels. iWRAP5 can accept custom report descriptor now this will allow you to implement various functions. I guess NKRO over BT is possible :p

And key lagging seems to get slightly better than iWRAP4. It is still noticeable and will be annoying to some people.
I connect the module to controller with software UART at 38400. I couldn't increase its speed to 115200bps with my code. If UART speed is important for lagging it may need hardware USART engine.

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #158 on: Sat, 20 April 2013, 02:17:30 »
thanks hasu, your code has been really inspirational for my custom projects. I'll be soon working on the BT module, I hope I could help you improve it.

Offline komar007

• komar's blog
« Reply #159 on: Sat, 04 May 2013, 10:28:24 »
Guys, here's how rev B currently looks. This is very close to production version. The view is on the bottom layer, but from the top (so it's mirrored).
20877-0
Could you check if the expansion port's position makes sense and if your wireless module will easily fit the case in this position?
GH60 rev. B w/ ali's case|Cherry G80-3000 HFU/05|IBM Model M (51G8572)
Check out the GH60 project! | How to make a keyboard

Offline Strelok

« Reply #160 on: Sat, 04 May 2013, 16:53:13 »
Guys, here's how rev B currently looks. This is very close to production version. The view is on the bottom layer, but from the top (so it's mirrored).
(Attachment Link)
Could you check if the expansion port's position makes sense and if your wireless module will easily fit the case in this position?

Assuming the expansion port is the 6 pins near the chip, we can most likely work with that, but moving them closer to either top corner of the board would most likely be preferable. Most of the cases we are trying to take into consideration are thicker towards the top, so that's where the expansion boards will have to reside. We can get wires anywhere, but if the ports are at the top, we could add angled pins to them so expansion boards would be truly "plug and play".

Offline agodinhost

• Dr Ian O Xaman
« Reply #161 on: Thu, 06 June 2013, 20:21:31 »
Finally I got in my hands that dammed RN-42 HID module.
I'm going to design a small shield to plug in this guy into my 8u4 this weekend and as soon as I got anything solid I'll be back at here to "report" my whereabouts to you fellas.

I didn't got the WT module yet - sorry. I'm kinda short of money building one 3d printer and my wife is squeezing my pockets to keep our finances in order at here (she does miracles ohh she does).

So, yes, this thread is still alive too! (I warned that I'm slow - not my fault right?)

Offline Strelok

« Reply #162 on: Thu, 06 June 2013, 20:33:39 »
Awesome!

Offline agodinhost

• Dr Ian O Xaman
« Reply #163 on: Thu, 06 June 2013, 23:48:17 »
For the coders that are not sleeping yet I just found some code that I think will help us.

Arduino + RN-42 Bluetooth module HID, the guy is trying to build one keyboard using arduino+rn-42 and at the end of the thread another guy points to his work at the github.

And I'm going to design one shield for our RN-42 based on this video (mostly) ...

I'm going to use Sparkfun's BlueSMiRF HID schematic to get the basic stuff we need and then I'll add anything else required ...

« Last Edit: Fri, 07 June 2013, 00:34:37 by agodinhost »

Offline madderoftime

« Reply #164 on: Sat, 29 June 2013, 10:56:44 »
I think the work you are doing here is great. Wanted to pipe up but most of this is above me atm since I am learning yet.
My thoughts just to get them somewhere: After reading through the thread I didn't see anyone give pause to the fact of having the transmitter inside a metal case with the only semi clear transmit out the switch placements. It has been semi-constant to try to put it in the case but I think it might be a good idea for the transmitter to at least be in plastic outside the case. Module style that could fasten to the outside of any case. I was imagining a hole made in the bottom of the case as a pass-through for wires then a contoured plate mounted between the feet holding the battery and circuitry and then a right-angle small acrylic part with transmitter mounted to the back of the case. Double stick tape or 2 screws. Just an idea. Thanks. Keep up awesome work!
GH60 Nevermore

Offline agodinhost

• Dr Ian O Xaman
« Reply #165 on: Sat, 29 June 2013, 12:30:50 »
After reading through the thread I didn't see anyone give pause to the fact of having the transmitter inside a metal case with the only semi clear transmit out the switch placements...
Good point man, and it's true!
However, for those whom, just like me, are going to use an acrylic or plastic case this is not a concern.
I'm poor and married so I'm not going to spend money on a metallic expensive case (at least not before I win in the lottery or get a divorce).  :D

We don't know where the BT module will be placed exactly yet. ATM we are only reserving "room space" to fit our module and battery. Definitely we will need some help into this matter to figure out the best possible position to avoid any interference in the radio signal for those rich bastards guys that are going to use the metallic case.

I would try to use the case itself as an antenna but I know ahead that antenna is a tough subject (out of my humble IQ limits right now).

I'm taking note of this "possible issue" for the future.
Thanks man!

Offline gnubag

Offline agodinhost

• Dr Ian O Xaman
« Reply #167 on: Tue, 02 July 2013, 07:45:22 »
would this be useful/usable?
It uses ATmega32u4 and it's pretty cool and small.
I don't know this BLE Bluetooth module - I'm not sure IF it has HID support.
I'm right now doing some research on it.

There is the Arduino Fio too - but, IMHO, it's kinda expensive (almost 40 bucks).
This one you pointed seems to be cheaper. Assuming it gets the minimum number of bakers it will cost something like US$ 34 (plus US$ 5 for shipping outside US).
Thanks by the hint man!
« Last Edit: Tue, 02 July 2013, 08:02:38 by agodinhost »

Offline agodinhost

• Dr Ian O Xaman
« Reply #168 on: Tue, 02 July 2013, 07:55:13 »
There is no mention to the Bluettoth module ...
Silly me - BLE means "Bluetooth Low Energy", it's not the module/vendor name.

I added one question there regarding the HID support.
Let's wait and see.

We do have two scenarios at here:
1) It does have HID support:
    Definitively it would make our lives easier.
    We would have only to attach the LiPo+Booster/charger and we would be good to go.

2) It doesn't have HID support:
    I'll continue doing what I'm doing using the teensy/Arduino micro.
    (unless someone else came with a new idea)

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #169 on: Tue, 02 July 2013, 08:01:17 »
they say it doesn't have HID at the moment but they might add it in the final version.

Offline agodinhost

• Dr Ian O Xaman
« Reply #170 on: Tue, 02 July 2013, 08:09:38 »
they say it doesn't have HID at the moment but they might add it in the final version.
Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
It was soooooo cool.

Anyway they are planning to release it only after nov/2013 (by theirs published schedule)

Gosh!
What's the point in having another arduino BT module without HID?

Offline agodinhost

• Dr Ian O Xaman
« Reply #171 on: Wed, 03 July 2013, 11:20:09 »
 Kytelabs says:

Hello Woody! Right now the BLEduino uses a custom profile, but we're still working on supporting more types of profiles, like HID. Let us know if you have any other questions. Thank you!

Offline hasu

• @tmk
« Reply #172 on: Sun, 28 July 2013, 11:48:27 »
I found this mod with RN-42HID on twitter. The post written in Jpanese but you guys may be interested. He uses Arduino Pro, Roving module and some components for battery power supply.

http://addsict.hatenablog.com/entry/2013/07/27/164647
https://github.com/addsict/YetAnotherHHKBController

Offline xiaokucha

• Singing in the rain
« Reply #173 on: Mon, 29 July 2013, 11:57:22 »
Still prefer the usb host way, which doesn't need to open the keyboard case, no damage to the keyboard :D

Trying to build an usb host bluetooth adapter using the USB3300 USB HS Board to act as both host and slave.  With this usb physical board plus mcu and bluetooth, it should work.

Now I don't know which mcu to use, cortex-m0 m3 m4 or any other mcu.  I am a software dev, totally blind in hardware...  Any expert in this field?
B4DD00D5

Offline agodinhost

• Dr Ian O Xaman
« Reply #174 on: Mon, 29 July 2013, 14:57:46 »
Still prefer the usb host way, which doesn't need to open the keyboard case, no damage to the keyboard :D

Trying to build an usb host bluetooth adapter using the USB3300 USB HS Board to act as both host and slave.  With this usb physical board plus mcu and bluetooth, it should work.

Now I don't know which mcu to use, cortex-m0 m3 m4 or any other mcu.  I am a software dev, totally blind in hardware...  Any expert in this field?
One Arm uC seems way too much for this kinda of application. IMHO it's one sledgehammer to kill one ant, you know. Why not keep up with what the GHs are already using? atmega8u4 is one awesome uC (for it`s price range and for a keyboard it seems to be more than enough).

Offline xiaokucha

• Singing in the rain
« Reply #175 on: Mon, 29 July 2013, 16:14:18 »

One Arm uC seems way too much for this kinda of application. IMHO it's one sledgehammer to kill one ant, you know. Why not keep up with what the GHs are already using? atmega8u4 is one awesome uC (for it`s price range and for a keyboard it seems to be more than enough).

The problem is that it needs the USB link layer, I am not sure it is related to the SoC usb controller inside cortex-m or it can be written in code, need more study :D
B4DD00D5

Offline agodinhost

• Dr Ian O Xaman
« Reply #176 on: Mon, 29 July 2013, 19:07:40 »

The problem is that it needs the USB link layer, I am not sure it is related to the SoC usb controller inside cortex-m or it can be written in code, need more study :D
Have you already saw LUFA, V-USB and Oleg's USB Library? (oleg is the guy behind the Google ADK, the Androidk Development Kit is based on his awesome work).

I'm no USB expert, far from that, but this is the material that I'm using to learn all this stuff (and, sure, the USB specs) and it's a lot of stuff ...

Hasu is the USB master around here, try to talk a bit with him. There are a few others but, honestly, I can't recall - my memory today is low ...

Offline xiaokucha

• Singing in the rain
« Reply #177 on: Mon, 29 July 2013, 22:58:38 »
just ordered the cortex-m3 with bluetooth and usb otg module, I will do some hands-on while learning the usb otg host and slave mode switch.

What I want is that while connecting to pc, the keyboard works in slave mode, while disconnected, it works with bluetooth.  Or the mcu could receive some special combination key code like alt+f8, to switch from bluetooth to usb slave mode, vice versa.
B4DD00D5

Offline agodinhost

• Dr Ian O Xaman
« Reply #178 on: Tue, 30 July 2013, 09:14:24 »
just ordered the cortex-m3 with bluetooth and usb otg module, I will do some hands-on while learning the usb otg host and slave mode switch.

What I want is that while connecting to pc, the keyboard works in slave mode, while disconnected, it works with bluetooth.  Or the mcu could receive some special combination key code like alt+f8, to switch from bluetooth to usb slave mode, vice versa.
Hmm, as far as I understood it is more related to the way you did connected your power source. I wrote something regarding this switching mode into my blog. No big deal. The hardest part for me is enveloping the USB info through HID ...

For the GH60 BT, I think I did finished the hardware wiring and right now I'm still working into BT firmware ...

Offline JonasDK

• Let me poo on you
« Reply #179 on: Fri, 23 August 2013, 14:53:41 »
Have this been dropped, or is it on some kind of pause or what?

Offline gnubag

« Reply #180 on: Fri, 23 August 2013, 15:09:40 »

most likely waiting for prototype pcb for testing.

Offline Strelok

« Reply #181 on: Fri, 23 August 2013, 20:17:48 »

We're just waiting for Agodinhost's prototype to be completed, from there we'll move on to refinements and production.

Offline debt4lyfe

• time puts a gun in every hand
« Reply #182 on: Fri, 30 August 2013, 19:27:39 »
just have to say, this board is exciting, i hope it all goes well

Offline JonasDK

• Let me poo on you
« Reply #183 on: Tue, 17 September 2013, 09:45:13 »
Any news? Haven't the prototypes been shipped a long time ago?

Offline Strelok

« Reply #184 on: Tue, 17 September 2013, 10:05:30 »
Any news? Haven't the prototypes been shipped a long time ago?

The GH60 prototypes, this is a separate, related project.

Offline agodinhost

• Dr Ian O Xaman
« Reply #185 on: Tue, 17 September 2013, 15:22:26 »
Vacation mode active.
So I'll have some time to finish this project ...

Offline aggiejy

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #186 on: Tue, 17 September 2013, 20:53:23 »
1+

Offline madderoftime

« Reply #187 on: Fri, 20 September 2013, 11:34:35 »
The GH60 has the ability for a complete LED set so we would need to keep that in mind and the power requirements for the battery pack. Or a way to separate that so that the full set of lights would not be available for wireless operation.
GH60 Nevermore

Offline Strelok

« Reply #188 on: Fri, 20 September 2013, 11:54:00 »
The GH60 has the ability for a complete LED set so we would need to keep that in mind and the power requirements for the battery pack. Or a way to separate that so that the full set of lights would not be available for wireless operation.

You would have to simply not install LEDS.

Offline gnubag

« Reply #189 on: Fri, 20 September 2013, 11:57:38 »

You would have to simply not install LEDS.

maybe there is a possibility that leds can be enabled when the GH60 is running off USB instead of the battery.
(or just do it manually)

Offline Lugoues

« Reply #190 on: Fri, 20 September 2013, 14:21:50 »

I thought the GH60 wasn't getting LED support at all?

Offline Strelok

« Reply #191 on: Fri, 20 September 2013, 15:24:28 »

I haven't checked up on it in a while, but If I recall correctly the holes and pads for LEDs are there, they just don't trace to anything, so you would have to wire them yourself.

Offline JonasDK

• Let me poo on you
« Reply #192 on: Fri, 20 September 2013, 15:37:27 »

I haven't checked up on it in a while, but If I recall correctly the holes and pads for LEDs are there, they just don't trace to anything, so you would have to wire them yourself.

AsI'm aware of, you'll need a module for it. The matrix is already there.

Offline agodinhost

• Dr Ian O Xaman
« Reply #193 on: Sat, 21 September 2013, 15:39:57 »

Me too however I think that komar007 changed his mind in the REdesign process ...

Offline Lugoues

« Reply #194 on: Sat, 21 September 2013, 16:17:28 »

Me too however I think that komar007 changed his mind in the REdesign process ...

Been out of the loop for the past few months, looked up Rev B and it seems you are correct. ^^

Offline Strelok

« Reply #195 on: Thu, 26 September 2013, 23:00:00 »

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #196 on: Fri, 27 September 2013, 11:55:56 »
Not much in the way of technical details, huh? Interesting though.

Offline aggiejy

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #197 on: Sat, 28 September 2013, 17:19:15 »
That looks great!  Certainly going to order one to play with.

Offline yicaoyimu

« Reply #198 on: Sat, 28 September 2013, 20:35:16 »
Just reply to register my interest.
KMAC2 - Matrix Lab 8XV2.0 - TGR Jane v2 CE - KBD8X MKII - Meridian - Matrix Lab Noah - Fallacy x2 - MGA Standard - Geon Frog mini - Amano - Ciel60 - Prime_Elise - Matrix Lab 6XV3.0 aka Corsa

Offline hasu

• @tmk
« Reply #199 on: Sun, 06 October 2013, 18:27:40 »
Just a question to someone working with RN-42. What version is your module?
I got RN-42-EK from local store and it has the latest 6.15.