Author Topic: I made a wooden case for my QFR.  (Read 24664 times)

Offline Bandit

• Ask no questions, get no answers.
I made a wooden case for my QFR.
« on: Wed, 18 February 2015, 22:52:37 »
I decided that the regular Quickfire Rapid case wasn't gonna cut it for me. I'm a woodworker by blood, dammit! I will have no generic plastic TKL on my desk.

Boy howdy was this project harder than I thought it was going to be. Finding the right wood, making it thin enough, marking the holes correctly, almost ruining the whole project with my reckless dremeling a number of times, but it was all worth it in the end for one of the prettiest keyboards I've ever seen, even if I am a little biased :P

And so, after all that rambling, pictures!

Ain't she a beaut?

Yep, it's definitely hand-made. Remember when I mentioned reckless dremeling?

Hooray for hot glue!

It's "rustic"

Offline Moralless

Re: I made a wooden case for my QFR.
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 18 February 2015, 22:55:19 »
That looks great Bandit  :thumb:

Do you plan to put any coating over it in order to preserve the wood?

Offline Bandit

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 18 February 2015, 22:57:15 »

I probably should have, but it's a bit late now since it's sort of glued shut forever. I guess I'll just sort of not spill anything on it hopefully.

Offline MythicalWagyu

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Poor Impulse Control
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 18 February 2015, 23:00:56 »
Seems like replacement TKL cases are not all that common, so I was interested in how you got all the pieces made - any steps from conception to completion that you might be willing & able to share?

Ron Swanson avatar, very appropriate :thumb:

KEYBOARDS >>
More
More
OG Blackwidow | Rosewill RK-9000BRI | QuickFire Rapid | Choc Mini | Apple M0110 (soon) | Leopold FC660C | 60% Pure | Poker II | Keycool 22
MICE >>
More
Logitech G5 | Corsair M65 | Logitech G400
COMPUTER >>
More
i5-3570K @ 4.2GHz, 12GB DDR3, 2GB GTX 670, 64GB SSD, ~4TB HDD, 2x Dell S2240M IPS, Corsair HX650 80 Plus Silver, Win7 Ultimate
  [WTS/WTB/WTT]  Heatware evaluation

too busy being on aol chatrooms/yahoo chatrooms acting like a lesbian with other guys pretending to be lesbians.

Offline Moralless

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 18 February 2015, 23:01:23 »

I probably should have, but it's a bit late now since it's sort of glued shut forever. I guess I'll just sort of not spill anything on it hopefully.

Is there a reason you glued it together instead of using screws? Seems like it would be doable.

Also you should really consider coating it, wouldn't want that good looking case to deteriorate

Offline Bandit

« Reply #5 on: Wed, 18 February 2015, 23:09:31 »
Seems like replacement TKL cases are not all that common, so I was interested in how you got all the pieces made - any steps from conception to completion that you might be willing & able to share?

Ron Swanson avatar, very appropriate :thumb:

Unfortunately I forgot to take pictures during the process. It went something like this

Cut 1x8" wood to the size of the case. I forgot what the dimensions are. something like 14" by 5.5" maybe?
Send it upright through my extended bandsaw 1/8" thick. Do this 3 times.
Sand & make it pretty.
Trace pattern from the old plastic case onto one of the pieces of wood.
Drill holes through all of the places where there will be holes.
Here comes the fun part. Use a slew of dremel bits to carve out by hand each hole precisely. Lol I think I skipped the precisely part.
Cut all of the side pieces from the third slice of wood. I marked how high I thought the top plate should be at the front and back and cut sides accordingly. The left and right side pieces will have a slight angle to them.
Stain everything real pretty.
Slap the bare keyboard in there and get gluing. We used hot glue but I recommend wood glue. Also I guess we should have put some sort of epoxy or something on there to make it stronger/less susceptible to warping.
Wait for pretty keycaps to come in the mail.
Take glamour shots and post them to GH and Reddit.
Profit!

Offline Bandit

« Reply #6 on: Wed, 18 February 2015, 23:11:00 »

Is there a reason you glued it together instead of using screws? Seems like it would be doable.

Also you should really consider coating it, wouldn't want that good looking case to deteriorate

The reason we used glue is because the side pieces are 1/8th of an inch thick. Screws would either be too thin to be stable or crack the wood.

Offline DrHubblePhD

• I am star stuff
  • Location: Observable Universe, Virgo Supercluster, Local Group, Milky Way Galaxy, Solar System, Planet Earth
« Reply #7 on: Wed, 18 February 2015, 23:20:32 »

The reason we used glue is because the side pieces are 1/8th of an inch thick. Screws would either be too thin to be stable or crack the wood.

Honestly bro, love the design, but when that starts getting moldy you are going to want to open it up. Perhaps if you really wanted to reverse it you could hold the board over bowling water, loosen up the glue and pry it apart. Dry it out with a hair dryer and rice baths, then lacquer it.

Offline Bandit

« Reply #8 on: Wed, 18 February 2015, 23:28:16 »

Honestly bro, love the design, but when that starts getting moldy you are going to want to open it up. Perhaps if you really wanted to reverse it you could hold the board over bowling water, loosen up the glue and pry it apart. Dry it out with a hair dryer and rice baths, then lacquer it.

I'll keep that in mind for sure, but for now it looks and feels great. Since this was my first real keyboard mod, I'm really happy with the way it turned out. Maybe if/when it does get gross, I'll make a whole new one with wood glue instead of hot glue and some more precise cuts. Hopefully I will soon have access to a laser cutter (going off to college soon) so we'll see what happens.

Offline Kira

• <3 <3 <3 <3
« Reply #9 on: Tue, 24 February 2015, 05:25:04 »
:O that is one BEAUTIFUL work of art!

Offline tjweir

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #10 on: Wed, 25 February 2015, 09:38:35 »
Looks great, awesome stuff!

Offline jellowiggler

« Reply #11 on: Sat, 14 March 2015, 12:32:05 »
Tell me you have PDFs of the templates so that other people can use your experience.
Mike -jellowiggler-
Filco MJ2 Tenkeyless / Rosewill RK-9000 / IBM Model M 1391401 / Logitech DiNovo Edge / MS Sidewinder X4

Offline Bandit

« Reply #12 on: Sat, 14 March 2015, 12:33:45 »
Tell me you have PDFs of the templates so that other people can use your experience.
Unfortunately, I did all of the template stuff by hand, so there's nothing to share.  Sorry

Offline shiver905

« Reply #13 on: Wed, 01 April 2015, 17:03:34 »
Would you mind sharing the internals of the case,
I am a wood worker myself.
Iv been thinking about doing something similar.

Offline burn1nsun

• My stupid YouTube Channel
« Reply #14 on: Sat, 02 May 2015, 14:14:17 »
Nice
HHKB Pro 2 l Pok3r Gateron Blacks

Offline bcredbottle

« Reply #15 on: Thu, 07 May 2015, 11:33:06 »
How does the wood case affect the sound?

Offline Bandit

« Reply #16 on: Thu, 07 May 2015, 20:03:38 »
How does the wood case affect the sound?
I don't notice a difference but I am unable to do a side by side comparison.

Offline Lain1911

• God of the Wired
« Reply #17 on: Thu, 07 May 2015, 20:06:40 »
impressive. I also like working with wood. (no pun intended) I took a full year of woodshop.

Offline nightdriver

• life is like t. rex
« Reply #18 on: Thu, 07 May 2015, 20:15:29 »
needs wooden keycaps!

Offline YoshiCaps

• yes, oh god no.
« Reply #19 on: Sat, 22 October 2016, 11:54:38 »
Dude, you must be mavis beacon's son. Those blank caps  :)
hi.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #20 on: Sun, 23 October 2016, 04:45:52 »
OP MIA since June last year (more than 16 months ago).
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ