Author Topic: [IC] Alps DCS Infinity mods kit  (Read 56450 times)

Offline Badwrench

• * Destiny Supporter
  • ummmm.....I forgot
Re: [IC] Alps DCS Infinity mods kit
« Reply #100 on: Wed, 04 March 2015, 18:59:48 »
Ok, guys, what do you think about this for a final?

BX/RCU  all with NN legends.  Spacebars still need to be finalized for colors (anyone with a color ring that can chime in?)

92774-0

wut. i'd buy a ****ty IBM board for that green V2

Offline potatochip

« Reply #101 on: Wed, 04 March 2015, 20:41:35 »
Is it a longshot to get some keys for Mac users?

Offline Applet

« Reply #102 on: Thu, 05 March 2015, 01:13:30 »
I think it looks good, but no possibility to get a 1.25 shift for ISO-users? :) I understand if ISO-users are not prioritized, especially if it is considered a Infinity mod kid, since it doesn't even have ISO-support. I would also love a ISO-enter, but I just assume that is not really feasible, right?

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #103 on: Thu, 05 March 2015, 08:39:43 »
I think it looks good, but no possibility to get a 1.25 shift for ISO-users? :) I understand if ISO-users are not prioritized, especially if it is considered a Infinity mod kid, since it doesn't even have ISO-support. I would also love a ISO-enter, but I just assume that is not really feasible, right?

Actually, this needs a 1.25 Shift, as well as a 1.75 Return, a 1.25 Tab (Row 3), and a Row 2 Esc. ;)

Yes, it supports Alps.

No, none of the keys pictured require stabilizers.
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #104 on: Thu, 05 March 2015, 08:42:15 »
Ok, guys, what do you think about this for a final?

BX/RCU  all with NN legends.  Spacebars still need to be finalized for colors (anyone with a color ring that can chime in?)

(Attachment Link)

Show Image

Actually, this needs a 1.25 Shift, as well as a 1.75 Return, a 1.25 Tab (Row 3), and a Row 2 Esc. ;)

Show Image

Yes, it supports Alps.

I approve of both of these things.

Ignorant question incoming: Are there any boards that support ISO layout and are Alps? I'm 100% sure there are but none come to mind at the moment :(.

Offline geniekid

« Reply #105 on: Thu, 05 March 2015, 09:40:42 »
I've been looking at pictures of the old 5k177 caps on the Siig Minitouch and I don't really see a profile difference.  Were those caps made by someone other than SP?  Or is the Minitouch DCS profile?  Or is there a profile difference that I just can't pick out?

Offline Applet

« Reply #106 on: Thu, 05 March 2015, 15:03:11 »
Ignorant question incoming: Are there any boards that support ISO layout and are Alps? I'm 100% sure there are but none come to mind at the moment :(.
Matias has ISO "alps" keyboards, and there are plenty of old boards. Personally I'm making my own custom 60% (no PCB). There have also been some talk of GON making the Nerd60 alps compatible here (I still hope for that :) ). But yes, the choices of ISO Alps boards is very limited.

Show Image

Yes, it supports Alps.

The JD45 looks great :)

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #107 on: Thu, 05 March 2015, 15:16:21 »

I believe there are some Dell AT101s and Apple keyboards that are, but they're very uncommon.  That abd when you do fund them, I believe the stabilizers and stem placement are inconsistent.

Anyways, ISO is a fools errand.  You always have a small handful crying for it and almost no one bud it.  In this case, it would drive up the price for no real reason and make targets even harder to hit. 

Offline Badwrench

• * Destiny Supporter
  • ummmm.....I forgot
« Reply #108 on: Thu, 05 March 2015, 18:06:48 »

Show Image

Yes, it supports Alps.

So, would this work?  I switched the Return for enter and the full spelling of Function for Fn as SP doesn't have legends for either. 
92850-0

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #109 on: Thu, 05 March 2015, 18:31:55 »

Show Image

Yes, it supports Alps.

So, would this work?  I switched the Return for enter and the full spelling of Function for Fn as SP doesn't have legends for either. 
(Attachment Link)
Looks like a winner to me. :)
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline geniekid

« Reply #110 on: Thu, 05 March 2015, 19:08:41 »
Looks good to me, but of course price is a consideration!

Offline Badwrench

• * Destiny Supporter
  • ummmm.....I forgot
« Reply #111 on: Thu, 05 March 2015, 19:24:08 »

Show Image

Yes, it supports Alps.

(Attachment Link)
Looks like a winner to me. :)
Thanks.  What were you planning for the spacebars?

Looks good to me, but of course price is a consideration!

Yeah, it's gonna be expensive.  I just got tentative pricing back on the previous kit:

25 sets                   $80.25 per set
50 sets                   $57.78 per set
75 sets                   $50.29 per set
100 sets                 $46.55 per set

Adding the 4 keys will add a few dollars to that, but removing the space bars will drop it back down a bit.  Note that the prices above would include 2 spacebars in one common color (still to be decided).  Also, this price does not include shipping to me/tax/paypal fees/shipping to you.  I would do the buy as follows:
Infinity/color kit
6.25x space bar in color x
6.25x space bar in color y
6x space bar in color x
6x space bar in color y

Offline geniekid

« Reply #112 on: Thu, 05 March 2015, 19:36:24 »
That is a hard price to swallow. 

My personal opinion is to exclude spacebars altogether since SP/PMK sells DSA spacebars separately.

Also, while I love Geekhack I think all the GH specific keys could be dropped as well or made into a separate kit (which I would buy for sure). 

The above is my opinion and I don't speak for anyone else.

Offline mr.squishy

• I like beer and keebs
« Reply #113 on: Thu, 05 March 2015, 19:45:21 »
This keyset has grown a lot larger and more expensive than it originally promised and with the price recently given I'm going to have to back out. I'd love to support this but I don't have that type of money. I do wish you luck though and I hope you can find a way to make this set succeed!

Offline Badwrench

• * Destiny Supporter
  • ummmm.....I forgot
« Reply #114 on: Thu, 05 March 2015, 19:49:35 »
That is a hard price to swallow. 

My personal opinion is to exclude spacebars altogether since SP/PMK sells DSA spacebars separately.

Also, while I love Geekhack I think all the GH specific keys could be dropped as well or made into a separate kit (which I would buy for sure). 

The above is my opinion and I don't speak for anyone else.

Yeah, I am planning on removing the spacebars.   As far as the GH keys, I want to get more feedback before trimming what was originally the starting point (a GH color pack). 

This keyset has grown a lot larger and more expensive than it originally promised and with the price recently given I'm going to have to back out. I'd love to support this but I don't have that type of money. I do wish you luck though and I hope you can find a way to make this set succeed!

No worries, I appreciate the support.  I will continue to refine this and hopefully make some compromises that appeal to more people and help get the final design to a more attractive price point. 

Offline Badwrench

• * Destiny Supporter
  • ummmm.....I forgot
« Reply #115 on: Fri, 06 March 2015, 19:19:20 »
I have been doing some thinking and asking around.  The direction I feel this buy should move to is just a basic set of modifiers that are for the Infinity board (and happen to fit some other existing alps boards as accents). 

There are a few blank keys in the mockup and I would like feedback from the community on what designs should go in each.  Nubbinator suggested doing something similar the the "GH60" logo, but different for this set.  I am also looking for sponsors that would like to "purchase" a logo for the set ($25 for a custom logo and should be an SVG file).  PM me if you are interested or just post here if you want to share. 

Here is the current mockup:
92993-0

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #116 on: Fri, 06 March 2015, 19:41:55 »
I'm still down to sponsor a legend at $25 for this.  It'd be kind of hypocritical of me not to after the PM.

I still wonder if we should add a one unit \| key for the top row since I know that can be a hard cap to find otherwise. And probably keep a blue Esc, just in case someone wants symmetry.  Otherwise I think the huge slimming down is a good thing.

We might even be able to drop two more keys if we can agree on a new legend for Ctrl and Alt and people are willing to sponsor them....or if we can reuse something from another buy.

For the windows key, since it's for Alps, something like this could be cool:

Offline Badwrench

• * Destiny Supporter
  • ummmm.....I forgot
« Reply #117 on: Fri, 06 March 2015, 20:43:28 »
I'm still down to sponsor a legend at $25 for this.  It'd be kind of hypocritical of me not to after the PM.

I still wonder if we should add a one unit \| key for the top row since I know that can be a hard cap to find otherwise. And probably keep a blue Esc, just in case someone wants symmetry.  Otherwise I think the huge slimming down is a good thing.

We might even be able to drop two more keys if we can agree on a new legend for Ctrl and Alt and people are willing to sponsor them....or if we can reuse something from another buy.

For the windows key, since it's for Alps, something like this could be cool:

Show Image

Not at all buddy, I really like your ideas.  I completely forgot to put the 1x R4 \| key.  I will add that and the blue esc.  I think we should keep the one off-color key though.  I like the pop of color. 

As for your design, that is awesome.  It has a nice clean design to it. 

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #118 on: Fri, 06 March 2015, 20:58:36 »
If you'll do a Glider for the OS (or context menu) key instead of a blank, I'll pay for the legend. I can send you an SVG.

in memoriam

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #119 on: Fri, 06 March 2015, 21:02:36 »
If you'll do a Glider for the OS (or context menu) key instead of a blank, I'll pay for the legend. I can send you an SVG.

Do we know who owns the glider legend at SP?  We might be able to use it for free instead of cutting a new one if we can figure out who owns it.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #120 on: Fri, 06 March 2015, 21:06:19 »

Do we know who owns the glider legend at SP?  We might be able to use it for free instead of cutting a new one if we can figure out who owns it.
I didn't know it had been done as a double shot. I think it was done as a dyesub maybe?

in memoriam

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #121 on: Fri, 06 March 2015, 21:09:14 »

I didn't know it had been done as a double shot. I think it was done as a dyesub maybe?

The 2013 crap bags had several doubleshot gliders

More

so I think they should still have the legend if the owner is willing to let others use it.  If you want a more stylized glider, that would definitely need to be cut.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #122 on: Fri, 06 March 2015, 21:12:12 »
Do you know if you have to pay the legend fee for new profiles? I.e. if there was a glider legend cut for SA, do you have to pay for it in DCS?

in memoriam

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #123 on: Fri, 06 March 2015, 21:15:19 »
I think you do since I know I was told you can't use the Cherry legends on DCS.  It may have to do with legend location.  Centered legends might be more versatile.  You'd have to ask Melissa.

Offline Badwrench

• * Destiny Supporter
  • ummmm.....I forgot
« Reply #124 on: Fri, 06 March 2015, 23:22:25 »
Yeah, unless we can find the owner of that legend, it will need the cutting fee even if we know the owner in another profile. 

93004-0

I removed the RCU esc key, it just adds too much to the cost.  I am really trying to trim this one down. 

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #125 on: Fri, 06 March 2015, 23:24:53 »
I'd love to see this logo:

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #126 on: Fri, 06 March 2015, 23:27:14 »
Yeah, unless we can find the owner of that legend, it will need the cutting fee even if we know the owner in another profile. 

(Attachment Link)

I removed the RCU esc key, it just adds too much to the cost.  I am really trying to trim this one down. 

That looks beyond awesome.

Show Image

Can they do that legend or is it too detailed?  I thought about that too, but didn't know if it would work.

Offline Badwrench

• * Destiny Supporter
  • ummmm.....I forgot
« Reply #127 on: Fri, 06 March 2015, 23:29:43 »

(Attachment Link)

That looks beyond awesome.

Show Image

Can they do that legend or is it too detailed?  I thought about that too, but didn't know if it would work.

Thanks, I think it looks pretty sharp.  I like the logo CPT posted but was curious about the complexity as well.  No harm in asking, but if it is doable, my guess is on one of the 1.5x mods. 

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #128 on: Fri, 06 March 2015, 23:30:03 »
Yeah, I don't mind at all paying for the glider legend. I'll send you an SVG of what I have for one.

in memoriam

Offline Badwrench

• * Destiny Supporter
  • ummmm.....I forgot
« Reply #129 on: Fri, 06 March 2015, 23:35:44 »
Yeah, I don't mind at all paying for the glider legend. I'll send you an SVG of what I have for one.

You can hold it for now.  I am going to add a list of contributors to the op, and if we get enough buyers to get this through, then I will get a hold of you and figure things out from there. 

Also, do you like the placement, or would you rather have it on a matching pair in the "hacker" set of mods?  Oh, and what does this key actually represent? 

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #130 on: Fri, 06 March 2015, 23:38:05 »

Offline Badwrench

• * Destiny Supporter
  • ummmm.....I forgot
« Reply #131 on: Fri, 06 March 2015, 23:41:04 »
Info on the history of the Glider

I knew it looked familiar, thanks.  Perfect key for this set. 

Offline geniekid

« Reply #132 on: Sat, 07 March 2015, 18:17:42 »
I like everything I'm seeing!

Offline zombimuncha

« Reply #133 on: Sun, 08 March 2015, 10:05:03 »
I love the Alps mountain img on the blue colour. Can it be on a 1.5u key too?

Offline rsadek

• raging keyboard monkey
« Reply #134 on: Mon, 09 March 2015, 08:25:55 »

The 2013 crap bags had several doubleshot gliders

More
Show Image

I've been dreaming of that apple key since nubbinator posted it :eek:
How can I get my hands on one?
❤️Keeboardz
---------------

Offline Badwrench

• * Destiny Supporter
  • ummmm.....I forgot
« Reply #135 on: Thu, 12 March 2015, 13:12:41 »
I got some pricing on a simplified set.  This is basically for the Infinity, but I decided to include a 2.75x right shift so that it could be used for some other boards as well. 

Pricing is below:
25 sets                   $56.09 per set
50 sets                   $40.26 per set
75 sets                   $34.98 per set
100 sets                 $32.34 per set

Note that this is a starting point before adding the custom logos which have yet to be completely determined.  This also does not include shipping to me/tax/paypal fees/shipping to you. 

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #136 on: Thu, 12 March 2015, 13:41:54 »
Have you seen hasu's group buy for the 60% Alps PCB?

in memoriam

Offline Hypersphere

« Reply #137 on: Thu, 12 March 2015, 13:42:19 »
I'd be fine with blanks for mods. With blanks, we might have a better chance of going with PBT instead of ABS. I like a stepped profile like DCS. I've discovered I don't like the DSA profile. As for color -- black, pebble (sand), or blue would be fine. I'm not fond of some blue variants such as teal. Layout: standard for the KBP V60 Matias, standard and hacker for the Infinity 60 Matias.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #138 on: Thu, 12 March 2015, 17:12:58 »
I can't see the picture you just posted badwrench :(. I'm going to assume that the kit looks like the one in the OP. I'm conflicted about the pricing. CMYK and the purple mods from GMK was about $60 I think. So it's about the same but we're getting, in my opinion, not as good caps. Not that I'm against this buy just saying I wish it were a little less...or GMK ABS doubleshots.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #139 on: Thu, 12 March 2015, 17:50:08 »
I can't see the picture you just posted badwrench :(. I'm going to assume that the kit looks like the one in the OP. I'm conflicted about the pricing. CMYK and the purple mods from GMK was about $60 I think. So it's about the same but we're getting, in my opinion, not as good caps. Not that I'm against this buy just saying I wish it were a little less...or GMK ABS doubleshots.
You have to look at that 75 tier. That's the number to set as MOQ when the buy starts. If it doesn't hit that, no point in doing it.

in memoriam

Offline geniekid

« Reply #140 on: Thu, 12 March 2015, 18:39:10 »
Price at 50 isn't so bad.  Second round of Infinity just closed so maybe we'll get an influx of prospective Alps users or something.

Offline Badwrench

• * Destiny Supporter
  • ummmm.....I forgot
« Reply #141 on: Thu, 12 March 2015, 19:10:27 »

Hmm, linking it directly.

93891-0

I am with JD about the pricing as well.  I know it doesn't feel like we are getting much for the $$, but if you compare it to a standard SP mx set, it is roughly a 15% to 20% premium.   So far, that is the price to play with Alps. 

I am hopeful that the second round of Infinity yields more Alps users so that we can actually attain the higher MOQ.  I am planning on putting together a google sheet similar to what enigcoder used for his buy that will act similar to Massdrops technique - allowing people to commit to purchasing at a certain MOQ, and once that number is reached, I will collect and get moving. 

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #142 on: Thu, 12 March 2015, 19:22:35 »
That is nice and tight. I think it does need a 2u R1 Backspace to round out a standard ANSI. And a 6.25u and 7u spacebar. Then it would work with the Infinity and any upcoming standard ANSI Alps keyboards, be they 60% or TKL or whatever. We need the stabilized keys with the stems for Costar or Cherry stabs.

in memoriam

Offline sethk_

• Grand Master Wizard Pizza
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • www.kbdhub.com
    • My webstore
« Reply #143 on: Thu, 12 March 2015, 19:23:58 »
I know its a little late for my 2 cents, but I personally really liked the salmon color, so maybe a salmon color GH key or G and H keys?

Offline geniekid

« Reply #144 on: Thu, 12 March 2015, 19:41:02 »
Oh I have no idea what I was thinking before when I said drop the spacebars since the ones SP sells separately are definitely not Alps.  Yea we need those Alps spacebars :))

Offline njbair

• I love the Powerglove. It's so bad.
    • nickbair.net
« Reply #145 on: Sat, 14 March 2015, 01:49:40 »
So I just got on the Infinity train with this most recent Massdrop, and one of the two I ordered will have Matias Quiet Pros in the Hacker layout. This will be my first ALPS board. I'm already thinking about replacing the DSA black blanks that are coming with it. But if I were to pick up this set, what would I use to match the DCS profile for all the alphas & spacebar?

Alpine Winter GB | My Personal TMK Firmware Repo
IBM Rubber Band "Floss" Mod | Click Modding Alps 101 | Flame-Polishing Cherry MX Stems
Review: hasu's USB to USB converter
My boards:
More
AEKII 60% | Alps64 HHKB | Ducky Shine 3, MX Blues | IBM Model M #1391401, Nov. 1990 | IBM SSK #1391472, Nov. 1987, screw modded, rubber-band modded | Noppoo EC108-Pro, 45g | Infinity 60% v2 Hacker, Matias Quiet Pros | Infinity 60% v2 Standard, MX Browns | Cherry G80-1800LPCEU-2, MX Blacks | Cherry G80-1813 (Dolch), MX Blues | Unicomp M-122, ANSI-modded | Unicomp M-122 (Unsaver mod in progress) | 2x Unitek K-258, White Alps | Apple boards (IIGS, AEKII) | Varmilo VA87MR, Gateron Blacks | Filco Zero TKL, Fukka White Alps | Planck, Gateron Browns | Monarch, click-modded Cream Alps

Offline Badwrench

• * Destiny Supporter
  • ummmm.....I forgot
« Reply #146 on: Sat, 14 March 2015, 02:15:40 »
So I just got on the Infinity train with this most recent Massdrop, and one of the two I ordered will have Matias Quiet Pros in the Hacker layout. This will be my first ALPS board. I'm already thinking about replacing the DSA black blanks that are coming with it. But if I were to pick up this set, what would I use to match the DCS profile for all the alphas & spacebar?

The space bar is still an issue, but there are a couple options.  First is to get a black or white one from Matias.  Their space bars are very close to DCS profile but with a more rounded front edge.  The other option is to add a DSA spacebar to this buy (maybe as a completely separate MOQ?) done in either beige or grey to match the common sets of alphas or in the BX so that it at least matches the mods. 

Offline njbair

• I love the Powerglove. It's so bad.
    • nickbair.net
« Reply #147 on: Sat, 14 March 2015, 12:22:35 »

The space bar is still an issue, but there are a couple options.  First is to get a black or white one from Matias.  Their space bars are very close to DCS profile but with a more rounded front edge.  The other option is to add a DSA spacebar to this buy (maybe as a completely separate MOQ?) done in either beige or grey to match the common sets of alphas or in the BX so that it at least matches the mods.

But what about Alphas? Are you basically saying the only option is to buy a sacrificial Matias board?

Alpine Winter GB | My Personal TMK Firmware Repo
IBM Rubber Band "Floss" Mod | Click Modding Alps 101 | Flame-Polishing Cherry MX Stems
Review: hasu's USB to USB converter
My boards:
More
AEKII 60% | Alps64 HHKB | Ducky Shine 3, MX Blues | IBM Model M #1391401, Nov. 1990 | IBM SSK #1391472, Nov. 1987, screw modded, rubber-band modded | Noppoo EC108-Pro, 45g | Infinity 60% v2 Hacker, Matias Quiet Pros | Infinity 60% v2 Standard, MX Browns | Cherry G80-1800LPCEU-2, MX Blacks | Cherry G80-1813 (Dolch), MX Blues | Unicomp M-122, ANSI-modded | Unicomp M-122 (Unsaver mod in progress) | 2x Unitek K-258, White Alps | Apple boards (IIGS, AEKII) | Varmilo VA87MR, Gateron Blacks | Filco Zero TKL, Fukka White Alps | Planck, Gateron Browns | Monarch, click-modded Cream Alps

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #148 on: Sat, 14 March 2015, 13:06:34 »
This has been a mod pack since the beginning.  A full set was tried, but it didn't tip.  This is meant to go with the cheap dime a dozen beige and cream and plain black Alps sets out there.  You can but a Matias set or an AT101 or whatever.
« Last Edit: Sat, 14 March 2015, 15:56:32 by nubbinator »

Offline rsadek

• raging keyboard monkey
« Reply #149 on: Sat, 14 March 2015, 13:37:53 »

But what about Alphas? Are you basically saying the only option is to buy a sacrificial Matias board?

Matias sells keycaps alone, no need to sacrifice a board. I believe you have to email them, bc it's not on the site yet. From another thread the answer was to email barb@matias.
❤️Keeboardz
---------------