Author Topic: Looking for good quiet matrix layout keyboard.  (Read 8407 times)

Offline Inf3rn0_44

Looking for good quiet matrix layout keyboard.
« on: Sun, 14 August 2011, 23:34:40 »
I have the 2030 in mind, because the layout looks great and is a fairly good price. The Truly Ergonomic is not out yet and looks to be too expensive for me. Are there any other matrix keyboards out there? And about the 2030, if I do end up getting the 2030, should I get the skin to cover it?

Here it is, click "buy now" too see the skins.
http://www.typematrix.com/2030/features.php
« Last Edit: Sun, 14 August 2011, 23:39:07 by Inf3rn0_44 »
|IMO 1.0 Frankenmouse WMO Internals |
|Access-IS AKC090 Ghetto Reds w/ O-Rings |

Offline hyperq

« Reply #1 on: Sun, 14 August 2011, 23:56:12 »
The layout looks interesting, and I would really like to try it.  

On the other had, the keys are too flat and too close together, so there will be more typos.  Typing over a keyboard skin doesn't appeal to me.  Finally, the $110-$120 price is a bit high for a rubber-dome keyboard.
Office: Filco Majestouch 2 Brown (FKBN104M/EB2) | Logitech Wireless Trackball M570
Home: Thinkpad X200\'s built-in keyboard | Logitech Wireless Laser V550 Nano
HTPC: Logitech Wireless Keyboard K270 | Logitech Anywhere Mouse MX

Want to buy: A mechanical keyboard with following features.

Offline Inf3rn0_44

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 15 August 2011, 00:02:40 »
The keys look large enough and my fingers are medium sized. I actually prefer the closeness of the keys.
Any cheap matrix designs out there? If not, I would still be happy to pay for the 2030.

Offline REVENGE

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 15 August 2011, 00:18:50 »
There are many modern matrix layout point of sale keyboards from Cherry, Access-IS, Preh, and others. Some are purpose built for typing, some are not, but almost all are fully programmable, so you can use whatever layout you want.
◕ ‿ ◕

Offline Inf3rn0_44

« Reply #4 on: Mon, 15 August 2011, 00:36:15 »
Thank you revenge for mentioning that the only things I have found that resemble something I might use are these.. http://www.prehkeytec.com/mc_80_wx.html?&L=1 and the IS Access AKC090 http://www.access-is.com/custom-keyboard-base-layout.php Even still the 2030 looks more practical to me.. Not to be an annoying troll its just that I want to get a decent keyboard that I will enjoy using. Its just that I have always wanted a type of keyboard that has straight vertical columns and one that is quiet. The problem is that I don't know enough about the mechanics of keyboards, but I do understand overall ergonomics.

Offline sordna

« Reply #5 on: Mon, 15 August 2011, 00:40:03 »
@Revenge, is it possible to find a couple of Access-IS AKC048 or similar in the USA for cheap?

@Inf3rn0_44 you can try a used Kinesis Contoured or Advantage, it has straight columns, however it isn't flat like the TypeMatrix is. It also has much better switches (cherry brows or reds).
« Last Edit: Mon, 15 August 2011, 00:42:14 by sordna »
Kinesis Contoured Advantage & Advantage2 LF with Cherry MX Red switches / Extra keys mod / O-ring dampening mod / Dvorak layout. ErgoDox with buzzer and LED mod.
Also: Kinesis Advantage Classic, Kinesis Advantage2, Data911 TG3, Fingerworks Touchstream LP, IBM SSK (Buckling spring), Goldtouch GTU-0077 keyboard

Offline Inf3rn0_44

« Reply #6 on: Mon, 15 August 2011, 00:46:12 »
I have just come to fully realize that I want a small keyboard with quiet keystrokes. That is also in matrix format, I feel the 2030 suits me perfectly. I have just ordered and they have a 100% refund guarantee incase I am not happy with it. Which is unlikely. Thanks for your help hyperq, revenge, and sordna.

Offline siouxscout

« Reply #7 on: Thu, 15 September 2011, 13:43:10 »
I really like that 2030 but like already said, is it worth the $?

Any update from Inf2rn0_44?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Offline Lanx

« Reply #8 on: Thu, 15 September 2011, 16:02:24 »
well if your asking how it was to go from staggered to matrix, it took me only 2 days to get really comfortable with the kinesis (we're talking about the matrix layout, not the thumb typing).

Offline Inf3rn0_44

« Reply #9 on: Thu, 15 September 2011, 18:08:31 »
So quick update on the keyboard.
Its been wonderful so far I do enjoy using more than the previous G15 I used.

Pro's
-Layout is non staggered which is amazing. Took me a week and a half to fully get used to it. The transition was not hard at all. Just play a game like Z Type for a half hour every day and it will come even faster.
 -Once I got the hang of the keyboard it let me really get in touch will my fingers for typing. I began learning my mistakes and learning more and more keys. Then after understanding the functions and finger placement, I learned QWERTY so well that I could actually use a regular staggered keyboard at my school even better. (Just gotta slide your staggered keyboard to the left. Helps me a ton.)
-SMALL DESIGN\No dedicated numpad. This feature is literally just a good as the fact it's not staggered. I can use my mouse so much closer, feels much more natural to use in general.
-Appearance and typing aesthetics. It felt odd using a low travel keyboard at first, after I got used to it I wanted it to become a slight bit softer, but I hate wobbly keys so I am still happy. I didn't get a skin for it. Well cause you don't need it and it will only annoy who ever uses it. unless they need it very much ofc. Good looking keyboard imo. The grid/matrix/non staggered layout looks sexy in white. The keyboard is very thin too. A great help since I don't want to use a tall a** keyboard and get wrist pains.
-Center Backspace and Enter: Took the longest to get used to. This was a pain since I was never used to doing that with my pointer finger before, but after a while my pointer fingers became much more nimble in typing in general. Also this helps to break bad typing habits. Like I had one with me typing T some times with my right hand. Or Y with my left.
-Heavy for its size which is good cause its very grippy on a xtrac ripper xxl desktop mat.
-Coupons! http://www.retailmenot.com/view/typematrix.com I just used "LBC" and got a lot off my purchase.
-Traveling It seems to be a great traveler due to its small length and thin size. Fits over a laptop keyboard perfectly.
-No Drivers! Great cause plug and play is always good to use.
-Less typing fatigue I typed all this out for fun. But with my old keyboard I would have raged and quit.
-Cool shortcuts that actually are use full.
-Refund ability/Warranty
-Fast shipping
-Good build quality.

Cons
-Gaming: Probably the biggest problem is that its a max of only 3 key presses. That is a very large hinderance for FPS gamers. I suggest typing for school/work with the typematrix and gaming on a G13.
 -Another small problem is the position of the how long the left shift is. Its hard to crouch/prone with ctrl now.. another little issue.
-Not backlit like I am used to, but who really cares anyway. I don't have to look at the keys anymore.
-Price at 100+ thats pretty fricken steep for a non mechanical keyboard.
-Not mechanical, uses a small membrane.
-Might forget how to use a non staggered keyboard, just practice with the staggered once every 2 weeks not to forget.

I probably missed some things but over all this keyboard is 100% worth it & shipping is crazy fast too.(Just use the promo LBC that gave me like 30 bucks back right away.) I want to get a G13 for only gaming purposes, and use the type matrix for everything else.

Offline sordna

« Reply #10 on: Fri, 16 September 2011, 00:56:34 »
Cool! Straight column layouts are definitely the way to go.
Kinesis Contoured Advantage & Advantage2 LF with Cherry MX Red switches / Extra keys mod / O-ring dampening mod / Dvorak layout. ErgoDox with buzzer and LED mod.
Also: Kinesis Advantage Classic, Kinesis Advantage2, Data911 TG3, Fingerworks Touchstream LP, IBM SSK (Buckling spring), Goldtouch GTU-0077 keyboard

Offline uzoc

Re: Looking for good quiet matrix layout keyboard.
« Reply #11 on: Thu, 28 February 2013, 01:30:08 »
So quick update on the keyboard.
Its been wonderful so far I do enjoy using more than the previous G15 I used.

Pro's
-Layout is non staggered which is amazing. Took me a week and a half to fully get used to it. The transition was not hard at all. Just play a game like Z Type for a half hour every day and it will come even faster.
 -Once I got the hang of the keyboard it let me really get in touch will my fingers for typing. I began learning my mistakes and learning more and more keys. Then after understanding the functions and finger placement, I learned QWERTY so well that I could actually use a regular staggered keyboard at my school even better. (Just gotta slide your staggered keyboard to the left. Helps me a ton.)
-SMALL DESIGN\No dedicated numpad. This feature is literally just a good as the fact it's not staggered. I can use my mouse so much closer, feels much more natural to use in general.
-Appearance and typing aesthetics. It felt odd using a low travel keyboard at first, after I got used to it I wanted it to become a slight bit softer, but I hate wobbly keys so I am still happy. I didn't get a skin for it. Well cause you don't need it and it will only annoy who ever uses it. unless they need it very much ofc. Good looking keyboard imo. The grid/matrix/non staggered layout looks sexy in white. The keyboard is very thin too. A great help since I don't want to use a tall a** keyboard and get wrist pains.
-Center Backspace and Enter: Took the longest to get used to. This was a pain since I was never used to doing that with my pointer finger before, but after a while my pointer fingers became much more nimble in typing in general. Also this helps to break bad typing habits. Like I had one with me typing T some times with my right hand. Or Y with my left.
-Heavy for its size which is good cause its very grippy on a xtrac ripper xxl desktop mat.
-Coupons! http://www.retailmenot.com/view/typematrix.com I just used "LBC" and got a lot off my purchase.
-Traveling It seems to be a great traveler due to its small length and thin size. Fits over a laptop keyboard perfectly.
-No Drivers! Great cause plug and play is always good to use.
-Less typing fatigue I typed all this out for fun. But with my old keyboard I would have raged and quit.
-Cool shortcuts that actually are use full.
-Refund ability/Warranty
-Fast shipping
-Good build quality.

Cons
-Gaming: Probably the biggest problem is that its a max of only 3 key presses. That is a very large hinderance for FPS gamers. I suggest typing for school/work with the typematrix and gaming on a G13.
 -Another small problem is the position of the how long the left shift is. Its hard to crouch/prone with ctrl now.. another little issue.
-Not backlit like I am used to, but who really cares anyway. I don't have to look at the keys anymore.
-Price at 100+ thats pretty fricken steep for a non mechanical keyboard.
-Not mechanical, uses a small membrane.
-Might forget how to use a non staggered keyboard, just practice with the staggered once every 2 weeks not to forget.

I probably missed some things but over all this keyboard is 100% worth it & shipping is crazy fast too.(Just use the promo LBC that gave me like 30 bucks back right away.) I want to get a G13 for only gaming purposes, and use the type matrix for everything else.

Great review, I ordered mine (a 2020) cause its cheaper and might disappear soon. If I like it, I'll also get the 2030.
And post a review!

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #12 on: Thu, 28 February 2013, 05:39:48 »
I'm not sure if the 2020 is worth getting. The worst thing about it is that some keys are too stiff.

Offline uzoc

« Reply #13 on: Wed, 20 March 2013, 16:12:51 »
Got the 2030, definitely worth it.
What it feels like is like a longer travel, mix of scissor/switch membrane + light MX Blue click at the end.
Standard spacing, added large letter stickers: white, grey and yellow for visibility and contrast.
Four fingers and shifts in white, index and others in grey and enter, backspace, delete, arrows, windows and ALT in yellow.
I'll probably change it, but this is what I have planned, once I get the grays:

16307-0