Author Topic: Puzzle Keyboard  (Read 2332 times)

Offline bebuxe

Puzzle Keyboard
« on: Tue, 02 April 2013, 06:28:52 »
Sorry I am late, and MIA. Just SOOOO Busy at work. Forgot to update on this:
http://www.red-dot.sg/en/online-exhibition/concept/?code=665&y=2012&c=16&a=0

Still, ergoDox is better. I love linear/matrix typing.

Offline berserkfan

• changing diapers is more fun than model f assembly
Re: Puzzle Keyboard
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 02 April 2013, 09:43:30 »
this is a very good idea, but it misses out on one thing: the typing experience.

with this kind of keyboard you are pressing on flat buttons with no feedback.

I'm wondering. Is there any way to take cherry key stems and nestle them in cradles, then hook up the cradles so that the keys can be rearranged as you please?

This could be very good for creating your own small/ compact keyboard with the correct design elements.

For instance, I really hate the KBT Poker because of their non-standard arrow, delete and esc keys.
Most of the modding can be done on your own once you break through the psychological barriers.

Offline bebuxe

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 02 April 2013, 15:21:46 »
@berserkfan
You are correct on the feedback, since they are chicklet buttons.

I dunno if mod'ing the chicklet KB is possible for cherry MX buttons. It could be possible indeed, just harder to hack. I think the magnet one, you can really layout as you please (but requires a Windows OS) is more appropriate for cherry MX buttons. Even then, laser KBs beat this KB any day.

This was just a Late news post, a very late one indeed.
« Last Edit: Tue, 02 April 2013, 19:01:38 by bebuxe »

Offline FoxWolf1

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 02 April 2013, 18:41:32 »
What holds the keys together? Looks like it might be prone to coming apart during intense gaming usage.

And, of course, it's one of these horrid low-profile things, too.
Oberhofer Model 1101 | PadTech Hall Effect (Prototype) | RK RC930-104 v2 | IBM Model M | Noppoo TANK | Keycool Hero 104

Offline bebuxe

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 02 April 2013, 19:05:41 »
@FoxWolf1
I assume those stubs on the sides. What I am really wondering is, how is it electronically configured, or have I been scammed.

This also reminds me of the glass-label/sticker keyboard that uses a camera to read the input. Completely configurable layouts, requires Windows OS. To sleep now!

Offline berserkfan

• changing diapers is more fun than model f assembly
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 03 April 2013, 09:25:59 »
The date of the original post online probably is a clue. If you posted on April2, probably you saw something posted on April1...  :D :D :D :D :D

@FoxWolf1
I assume those stubs on the sides. What I am really wondering is, how is it electronically configured, or have I been scammed.

This also reminds me of the glass-label/sticker keyboard that uses a camera to read the input. Completely configurable layouts, requires Windows OS. To sleep now!
Most of the modding can be done on your own once you break through the psychological barriers.

Offline bebuxe

« Reply #6 on: Wed, 03 April 2013, 15:20:26 »
@berserkfan
I do not think it was a prank. This is a winner in the red-dot design contest of 2012. Why I said it was old news (6 months old to be exact):
http://www.red-dot.sg/en/participate/competition-process/
http://www.red-dot.sg/en/participate/dates/

And if a prototype is a requirement I assume it works:
http://www.red-dot.sg/participate/delivery-and-collection/

I'd rather not press the winner.

PS
   Warning, I am hard to prank. I generally counter prank.