Author Topic: Vote for Trump  (Read 165324 times)

Offline fanpeople

Re: Vote for Trump
« Reply #350 on: Mon, 14 November 2016, 05:12:39 »

Calling non-voters stupid or apathetic does not help.

Calling non-voters stupid may possibly be out of line. Calling them apathetic is absolutely accurate.

I have never, in my entire lifetime, heard any reason whatsoever for not voting that was rational, much less valid.

There is no member of society who is not deeply affected by the government under which they live, every minute of their lives, and it is impossible to fabricate an imaginary scenario in which the current and future direction of that government is inconsequential to the individual and to the society in which he lives.

Not voting is a pouting tantrum of a 2-year-old.
Just wondering, is it possible to vote blank in the US?

Are you talking about donkey voting? As in drawing a **** on the ballot instead of picking between a dooche and a turd?
No, it's an option where I'm from that just allows you to vote for no party at all. It means you're engaged with the elections, and appreciate your right to vote, but don't like any of the available options.

It's a much better way of doing a "protect vote" than just staying at home watching TV I think.

Oh ok, in Australia you get fined if you dont vote (like 20 dollars). But your not monitored when you scribble on the paper so your free not to select anyone one. But there is no choose to not select anyone option. Local elections piss me off the most and seem to carry a harsher fine so i generally dont take them seriously. Interestingly enough, last local election i voted trump.....

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #351 on: Mon, 14 November 2016, 08:00:52 »

that just allows you to vote for no party at all.

We don't vote for parties in the US.

In each separate race there is a slate of candidates and you choose one (sometimes it is "vote for 3 from this list" or something like that).

Just like a multiple choice test in school, you can skip the question and/or not mark anyone.

And, last, in the holdover from the pre-Industrial age, the Electoral College, although it looks like you are voting for a presidential candidate, you are actually voting for your state's "electors" who are "pledged" to vote for that candidate later. In some states they are required by law to do so, in others they could vote their personal conscience with impunity (although that is rare).
"It turns out that for a decade, whenever Trump wanted to get a loan, or make a deal, he would inflate the value of his real estate. For instance, suggesting that his 11,000-square foot penthouse was a 30,000-square foot penthouse.
And the attorney general of New York knew that Trump's property values were inflated because when it came time to pay taxes, Trump undervalued the very same properties.
It was all part of a very sophisticated real estate practice known as “lying.”
- Jon Stewart 2024-03-28

Offline chuckdee

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #352 on: Mon, 14 November 2016, 08:03:44 »

Calling non-voters stupid or apathetic does not help.

Calling non-voters stupid may possibly be out of line. Calling them apathetic is absolutely accurate.

I have never, in my entire lifetime, heard any reason whatsoever for not voting that was rational, much less valid.

There is no member of society who is not deeply affected by the government under which they live, every minute of their lives, and it is impossible to fabricate an imaginary scenario in which the current and future direction of that government is inconsequential to the individual and to the society in which he lives.

Not voting is a pouting tantrum of a 2-year-old.
Just wondering, is it possible to vote blank in the US?

Are you talking about donkey voting? As in drawing a **** on the ballot instead of picking between a dooche and a turd?
No, it's an option where I'm from that just allows you to vote for no party at all. It means you're engaged with the elections, and appreciate your right to vote, but don't like any of the available options.

It's a much better way of doing a "protect vote" than just staying at home watching TV I think.

They've made that less and less an option in many municipalities- supposedly to combat voter fraud and voter mistakes.

Offline Coreda

« Reply #353 on: Mon, 14 November 2016, 08:06:03 »
tp spoke and the people listened. Who knew he had such a far-reaching influence.

Offline Air tree

• Better late than never ^-^
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • Formerly not demik
« Reply #354 on: Mon, 14 November 2016, 09:54:10 »
tp spoke and the people listened. Who knew he had such a far-reaching influence.
I think that the pundits are really overlooking the weight of tp4's endorsement this year..

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #355 on: Mon, 14 November 2016, 10:25:58 »
I think that the pundits are really overlooking the weight of tp4's endorsement this year..

Strength in Unity...  A Better America for ALL...

The majority of PEOPLE  ,  have a job, they have kids, they're not hungry, they got steady income.

BUT,  that does not mean these people understand Politics/ Economics/ Humans

The greater number of people will always only see the world relative to themselves..   That is not to say they are selfish, only that their perspective is narrow..   They are truly only equipped to handle their own interests, it ends there..

Their opinion / ideology / BELIEF   are wholly inadequate to model or judge the ROLE of the Social-Planner..

Trump is just as good a president as any old guy/girl of that age..

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #356 on: Mon, 14 November 2016, 10:41:54 »

Seriously. I doubt this thread had enough weight to sway a US presidential election

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #357 on: Mon, 14 November 2016, 10:44:07 »

Seriously. I doubt this thread had enough weight to sway a US presidential election

Hahahahahah..  Tp4 also doubt it..  If anything it probably cost him votes..

I'd prolly guess that the bulk of Geekhackers are young kids who don't know nething about nething..    So, they actually got off their butts and voted in the first place,    and,   prolly voted hillary because they're so used to getting picked on in School by people like Trump..

--- IN FACT,  am quite certain,  that this psychological scarring had been the deciding factor for the majority of  the ---EDucated voters---

Logically,  All of Trump's behaviors / beliefs makes him a Great President,    No one is going to Bully Trump, NO ONE CAN...

AND,  Being a Bully should be in the Job description//

Trump might be a TERRIBLE PERSON,     but that's EXACTLY who should be President..

Offline Air tree

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Formerly not demik
« Reply #358 on: Mon, 14 November 2016, 12:29:37 »

I don't know what more I could do to make it more clear that it was a joke, besides directly saying it is a joke.  :p

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #359 on: Mon, 14 November 2016, 13:00:21 »

I don't know what more I could do to make it more clear that it was a joke, besides directly saying it is a joke.  :p

I'm pretty sure tp started this thread as a joke. But somewhere amongst the chaos jokes became facts that erupted all over America into protests. So it's difficult for me to see who is actually joking in this thread and who is actually being srs. Ok, my bad :-[

Offline Air tree

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Formerly not demik
« Reply #360 on: Mon, 14 November 2016, 13:06:45 »

I'm pretty sure tp started this thread as a joke. But somewhere amongst the chaos jokes became facts that erupted all over America into protests. So it's difficult for me to see who is actually joking in this thread and who is actually being srs. Ok, my bad :-[
I can't tell when tp4 is joking or not, so it's alright.  :))

Offline chuckdee

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #361 on: Mon, 14 November 2016, 13:53:34 »
^ I remember tp4 looking for a new nickname.  I think Nero is appropriate.  Except, with a post, instead of a lyre.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #362 on: Mon, 14 November 2016, 16:52:15 »

But somewhere amongst the chaos jokes became facts that erupted all over America

Quoted for truth.
"It turns out that for a decade, whenever Trump wanted to get a loan, or make a deal, he would inflate the value of his real estate. For instance, suggesting that his 11,000-square foot penthouse was a 30,000-square foot penthouse.
And the attorney general of New York knew that Trump's property values were inflated because when it came time to pay taxes, Trump undervalued the very same properties.
- Jon Stewart 2024-03-28

Offline alienman82

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #363 on: Mon, 14 November 2016, 17:07:16 »
removed.
« Last Edit: Thu, 01 March 2018, 13:41:15 by alienman82 »

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
- Jon Stewart 2024-03-28

Offline hashbaz

• Grand Ancient One
  • * Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #365 on: Mon, 14 November 2016, 17:13:44 »

Science and logic says otherwise. I seriously doubt that it didn't sway things in Trump's favor. You just have to open your eyes.

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #366 on: Mon, 14 November 2016, 17:17:11 »

Science and logic says otherwise. I seriously doubt that it didn't sway things in Trump's favor. You just have to open your eyes.

But if I open my eyes that means I'll have to wake up :( I've been asleep for the past eight years..

Offline kurplop

• THE HERO WE DON'T DESERVE
« Reply #367 on: Mon, 14 November 2016, 18:47:26 »

I agree it's our duty to vote, but if we can't be informed voters, it's probably our best alternate duty to not vote. Truth is, I'd rather have someone like Fohat, whose vote has probably canceled out every one I've made in the last 20 years, vote instead of an ill informed voter who accidentally presses the same buttons as I do.

That's illogical..   How and why something happens is disconnected from your logical DESIRED outcome..

My greater, "logical desired outcome" is for democracy to work.

I think that overall our system was pretty well thought out. A system which respects the points of views of all of its constituents, while still having safeguards to prevent abuses by factions. As unlikely as it may seem to most of us, other people may have different but valid perspectives which should be, at least, considered. Therefore, in general, a well developed argument, even if it's wrong, is more important to the system than a volume of input with no substance; the latter simply clouding the results.

Being only minimally utilitarian in my philosophy of right and wrong, I don't generally agree with the Machiavellian concept that the ends justify the means. I think we should trust the system and try to work within it, accept it, and fight it only as a last resort. That includes voter fraud, coercion as well as suppression, and equally important—accepting the results.

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #368 on: Mon, 14 November 2016, 19:20:46 »

Being only minimally utilitarian in my philosophy of right and wrong, I don't generally agree with the Machiavellian concept that the ends justify the means. I think we should trust the system and try to work within it, accept it, and fight it only as a last resort. That includes voter fraud, coercion as well as suppression, and equally important—accepting the results.

Totally agree.

It's extremely unsettling that when the PEOPLE voted for someone the Establishment dispises suddenly Democracy has Failed.  This is where you really need it despite what the Mass Media is saying.  Currently a lot of HATE is being distributed via the media today to not trust your democratic system and in fact instill some kind of sick overthrow like that will instill confidence and stability within your nation.

So funny that back when Obama got elected the system worked Perfectly but now when the mainstream parties and media working hand in hand can not stomach the people making their choice, it's now unbearable and wrong.  You can't pick and choose what you want, especially by the current corrupt swampies on the hill who want to desperately maintain the Status Quo of funding wars and oppression.

This is a unique time where the majority didn't believe the lies distributed daily by the mass media so I applaud their strength in choosing the right person here.  Trump isn't another swampie gearing up for WW3 but he wants to cut back expenditure which Obama has ramped up consistently, during his term in office.

Maybe for the first time in 8 years we actually might have a more peaceful world as all the terrorist regimes/groups get no more weapons and money to maintain their misery across the globe.
« Last Edit: Mon, 14 November 2016, 19:23:56 by Elrick »

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #369 on: Mon, 14 November 2016, 19:38:28 »
Elrick, do you think media is equally bad around the world or just in the US? Also, how do you know that the reports that are delivered to you in Craptown are the accurate accounts? I am not challenging your information but instead trying to understand the assurance that you have in your sources.

With the current media in the West applauding and singing from the same cheat sheets.  They are all in unison when it comes to reporting everything concerning the EU, Western and Eastern societies and that alone raises suspicion that you can't have an objective media when every newspaper and media source is quoting the very same sources, delivered via Washington on a daily basis.

RT seems to be the only source providing another view point in what's happening in Libya, Middle East, Western Europe and Eastern Europe which all the western media has ignored.  So that alone raises extreme distrust in the current status quo within main stream media only reporting lacklustre rubbish.  That has disenfranchised whole populations within Europe that do not believe in the mass media anymore because they failed them in every way.

Also that delivered a Trump win which the mass media has totally misread the public and failed to accurately report reality.  The mass media chose to ignore middle america's plight and in fact make's fun of them calling them in bred and ignorant even today.  So we now have the moronic media attacking the people instead of the inept leadership which has delivered a failed state to the majority of the middle class.

When the mass media fails to report what is actually happening it's all of us that miss out in having an informed democratic system.
« Last Edit: Mon, 14 November 2016, 20:49:16 by Elrick »

Offline chuckdee

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #370 on: Mon, 14 November 2016, 20:32:27 »

Totally agree.

It's extremely unsettling that when the PEOPLE voted for someone the Establishment dispises suddenly Democracy has Failed.  This is where you really need it despite what the Mass Media is saying.  Currently a lot of HATE is being distributed via the media today to not trust your democratic system and in fact instill some kind of sick overthrow like that will instill confidence and stability within your nation.

So funny that back when Obama got elected the system worked Perfectly but now when the mainstream parties and media working hand in hand can not stomach the people making their choice, it's now unbearable and wrong.  You can't pick and choose what you want, especially by the current corrupt swampies on the hill who want to desperately maintain the Status Quo of funding wars and oppression.

This is a unique time where the majority didn't believe the lies distributed daily by the mass media so I applaud their strength in choosing the right person here.  Trump isn't another swampie gearing up for WW3 but he wants to cut back expenditure which Obama has ramped up consistently, during his term in office.

Maybe for the first time in 8 years we actually might have a more peaceful world as all the terrorist regimes/groups get no more weapons and money to maintain their misery across the globe.

Many said the same thing about the elections then.  This is not a liberal/conservative nor a republic/democrat thing.  It's human nature, especially when you don't want to shine the light on your party's particular failures.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #371 on: Mon, 14 November 2016, 21:43:41 »

the PEOPLE voted for someone

The Founding Fathers depended on an informed and engaged electorate and a free press to disseminate reliable information.

Read the publications surrounding the establishment and ratification of the Constitution, in particular "The Federalist Papers" and it is clear what the intent and assumptions were for the health and maintenance of the system.

Today those components have broken down to the point that we have a controlled partisan press monopoly promoting an incompetent and unqualified bozo about to be installed based on the vote of 26% of the qualified population of the country.
- Jon Stewart 2024-03-28

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #372 on: Mon, 14 November 2016, 21:49:48 »
It's stupid to think we really get a say in who becomes president. If America had any say at all neither Hillary nor Trump would have been in the running, yet we had no choice but to choose one of two unlikable people who paid to win. The entire idea of democracy in America is a goddamn sham.

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #373 on: Mon, 14 November 2016, 22:45:04 »
The Founding Fathers depended on an informed and engaged electorate and a free press to disseminate reliable information.

Read the publications surrounding the establishment and ratification of the Constitution, in particular "The Federalist Papers" and it is clear what the intent and assumptions were for the health and maintenance of the system.

Today those components have broken down to the point that we have a controlled partisan press monopoly promoting an incompetent and unqualified bozo about to be installed based on the vote of 26% of the qualified population of the country.

Exactly, the BIG mistake for the United States but mostly every other Western Nation is allowing Conglomerates to buy out all the information services.

Now you have only ONE agenda, the complete support of the current status quo which is what is really hurting not just the middle class within America but on a whole Global stage as well.  Hi-jacking news and purposely ignoring the real issues has shown in this election how the people of this country and around the globe where grossly misinformed.

What is truly disgusting with all these Corporate News Media is instead of admitting their mistakes they start attacking everyone else and that to me is the first time I've seen such deplorable behaviour from News Services which were suppose to be independent from the regime and not remain as it's lapdog, to attack anyone who questions their motives or intentions.

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #374 on: Mon, 14 November 2016, 22:57:46 »
It's stupid to think we really get a say in who becomes president. If America had any say at all neither Hillary nor Trump would have been in the running, yet we had no choice but to choose one of two unlikable people who paid to win. The entire idea of democracy in America is a goddamn sham.

It's a bit of both.

YES, there were only two candidates despite being another two more which were ignored by the Mass Media   Hardly heard anything from Jill Stein or Gary Johnson.  Then there was also Evan McMullin or Darrell Castle so basically there were a lot of others vying for the Presidency but the TWO party system made sure that they never got within a million miles of winning.

All we heard for more than 2 years, was Hillary Clinton (98% popularity by all the Mass Media) and Donald Trump (everyone and his dog would never vote for, again from the Mass Media).

BUT we didn't get the future foretold by the idiotic/blind Mass Media and that is what really hurts their credibility today.  Never trust garbage pretending to be the Absolute Truth by any Corporate Media because 98% of the time, it's guaranteed to be an Absolute Lie.
« Last Edit: Mon, 14 November 2016, 23:00:43 by Elrick »

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #375 on: Tue, 15 November 2016, 08:09:48 »

If America had any say at all neither Hillary nor Trump would have been in the running,

It all comes back to people's apathy at not voting. I have made it a point to vote in EVERY election throughout my adult life, even down to off-year runoff elections for dog-catcher (sarcasm there).

The primary system is particularly susceptible to that problem (even though we had a couple of important county ballot measures piggy-backing on last spring) and provides us with all these bad choices.

Trump was nominated on the vote of under 6% of the eligible voters in the country, and Clinton by less than 8%.

- Jon Stewart 2024-03-28

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #376 on: Wed, 16 November 2016, 04:38:23 »

If America had any say at all neither Hillary nor Trump would have been in the running,

It all comes back to people's apathy at not voting. I have made it a point to vote in EVERY election throughout my adult life, even down to off-year runoff elections for dog-catcher (sarcasm there).

The primary system is particularly susceptible to that problem (even though we had a couple of important county ballot measures piggy-backing on last spring) and provides us with all these bad choices.

Trump was nominated on the vote of under 6% of the eligible voters in the country, and Clinton by less than 8%.

Apathy would be harsh in this instance mainly because vast numbers still turned out to vote.  What really hurt Obama/Clinton was the entrenchment of Wall Street within their cabinet for the last 8 years.

Eight long years of slaughtering American Manufacturing because those greedy tossers in Wall Street, made money for multi-nationals to move all of their operations into 3rd world countries to build the very same items that were once made on US soil.  Hence the unemployment of all those people and families that got retrenched and dumped like refuse in the march for record growth through a broken and corrupted economy.

They were the ones that never benefited in the so-called GREAT FREE-MARKET system which was exclusively geared towards Huge Multi-Nationals to enjoy and pay next to no tax whatsoever.  Meanwhile millions of Americans now enjoy no future at all and for their children as well so they came out to make a difference through voting.  They are the ones that are living the American Nightmare whilst all the Mass media kept saying they never had it so good under Obama and Co.

All the so-called experts that said they knew what America wanted and got it so wrong, so next time you switch on your TV in the heart land of the United States and another boring tosser starts talking about what will happen in the future, remember that these same morons never picked Trump's win and for me they've lost all credibility.  How can you take advice from 'EXPERTS" who can't see anything around them or even see what is actually happening?
« Last Edit: Wed, 16 November 2016, 04:49:09 by Elrick »

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #377 on: Wed, 16 November 2016, 07:38:12 »

long years of slaughtering American Manufacturing because those greedy tossers in Wall Street

Manufacturing started leaving the US in earnest in the 1970s, and accelerated dramatically under Reagan.

As our manufacturing base, coming out of WW2 at an all-time strength, was wearing down, the next-generation capabilities of our former foes, Germany and Japan, financed by the Marshall Plan, was peaking. Today, the Third World may not be so advanced mechanically, but the near-infinite supply of ultra-cheap labor makes that now the cheapest place to manufacture.

I get sick of people falsely attributing NAFTA to Bill Clinton. Look it up.
It was Bush Sr's pet project for much of his term, and he signed before leaving office.

- Jon Stewart 2024-03-28

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #378 on: Thu, 17 November 2016, 22:37:56 »
Hillary is really letting herself go now that the election is over...

Offline alienman82

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #379 on: Thu, 17 November 2016, 22:43:25 »
removed.
« Last Edit: Thu, 01 March 2018, 13:38:49 by alienman82 »

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #380 on: Fri, 18 November 2016, 21:33:41 »

long years of slaughtering American Manufacturing because those greedy tossers in Wall Street

Manufacturing started leaving the US in earnest in the 1970s, and accelerated dramatically under Reagan.

As our manufacturing base, coming out of WW2 at an all-time strength, was wearing down, the next-generation capabilities of our former foes, Germany and Japan, financed by the Marshall Plan, was peaking. Today, the Third World may not be so advanced mechanically, but the near-infinite supply of ultra-cheap labor makes that now the cheapest place to manufacture.

I get sick of people falsely attributing NAFTA to Bill Clinton. Look it up.
It was Bush Sr's pet project for much of his term, and he signed before leaving office.

Pssh. Reagan's trickle down golden shower helped lift so many people out of poverty man.  Don't you even know?

Offline Air tree

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Formerly not demik
« Reply #381 on: Sat, 19 November 2016, 02:06:18 »
If Clinton wasn't surrounded by so much scandal, artificial or genuine, she would be great candidate

I mean, she is among the most qualified people to run for office, and shes beat by a man who has never held office of any kind in his whole life, it's a shame. I would have voted for her enthusiastically.

I can vote in the 2018 mid terms, at least.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #382 on: Sat, 19 November 2016, 02:22:28 »
If Clinton wasn't surrounded by so much scandal, artificial or genuine, she would be great candidate

I mean, she is among the most qualified people to run for office, and shes beat by a man who has never held office of any kind in his whole life, it's a shame. I would have voted for her enthusiastically.

No she would not have been a good president.

For one, she's on psychoactive medication just to stay upright.

The stress has already gotten to her and deteriorated her physical condition..

And the type of meds she's on, well, they greatly alter neural firings.

Though logic may not be compromised, there's no telling what type of polarization may occur..

Offline ANightOnCloudNine

« Reply #383 on: Sat, 19 November 2016, 02:26:24 »

Offline ygor

• eat a butt, monkey lord
« Reply #384 on: Sat, 19 November 2016, 02:44:48 »
This thread is like Alex Jones' wet dream.
« Last Edit: Sat, 19 November 2016, 02:46:37 by ygor »
I generally hate all keycaps. Keycaps are for poofs. Real men touchtype on stems. Non-functional artisans are awesome, I use them for the ESC key ... escape is for cowards anyways, real men go frontal assault.

Offline ANightOnCloudNine

« Reply #385 on: Sat, 19 November 2016, 02:55:20 »
both candidates suck but i prefer trump over hillary. thats how i view it.

Offline fanpeople

« Reply #386 on: Sat, 19 November 2016, 03:08:09 »

I respect your view

Offline fanpeople

« Reply #387 on: Sat, 19 November 2016, 03:08:43 »

I respect your view

Offline fanpeople

« Reply #388 on: Sat, 19 November 2016, 03:09:27 »

Though logic may not be compromised, there's no telling what type of polarization may occur..

I respect your view

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #389 on: Sat, 19 November 2016, 04:05:50 »

From a relatively uninformed outside perspective you were given the choice of voting for two unacceptable 'famous' candidates and two with no advertising budget.

I liken this choice to having to chose between being shot in the right leg, left leg, or shot at by one of two people who've been blindfolded and spun around so will probably do less damage.  A huge majority of those who voted wanted to get shot...
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #390 on: Sat, 19 November 2016, 08:17:29 »
Sometimes you have to read between the lines.
- Jon Stewart 2024-03-28

Offline chuckdee

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #391 on: Sat, 19 November 2016, 09:49:45 »

Links?

Offline derezzed

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #392 on: Sat, 19 November 2016, 10:51:31 »
Sometimes you have to read between the lines.

(Attachment Link)

Why did I look in this thread?  :(

I've never seen that quote before but that is exactly what I started thinking about when I woke up this morning.  The Republican party has been working for decades to enact laws that diminish or restrict the ability of minorities and poor people to vote.  They successfully conspired (project REDMAP) to gain control of state legislatures in 2010 for the express purpose of redrawing voting districts to consolidate non-conservative voters into fewer voting districts, increase the number of Republican voting districts, and give the Republican party more power and control.  In 2017, the Republican party will control all three branches of the federal government.  Imagine what they can do with the NSA's surveillance programs.  They will have the capability to direct surveillance to specific political opponents.  I'm not talking about Democrats in Congress.  I'm talking about journalists and activists, or really, anyone who is critical of them.  It's no secret how Trump feels about the media.  He might be tempted to have people use information gathered from NSA surveillance of American citizens to interfere with the press or to punish people who have been openly critical of him.  Many corporations have used methods like ALEC to get people in Congress to propose and enact legislation written by the corporations for the corporations.  Imagine people in Trump's administration using surveillance information to blackmail vulnerable journalists into publishing "news" stories fabricated by people in Trump's administration.   

I'm not saying that this will happen, but it seems a lot less far-fetched now.  The government's surveillance programs have always had the potential to be used this way (and in far worse ways).  If they have already been used this way, how would we know?  The potential and temptation for abuse of the system of spying on American citizens is why so many people are opposed to it.  Will the Republican party prove that their fears are founded?  Any abuse of the system normalizes that behavior and sets a precedent.  It undermines the very foundation of our country.  Is Trump the kind of person who could recognize that?  Is he the kind of person who would prioritize the long-term security of the nation above his short-term political and financial ambitions?  What about the people he appoints to his administration?

That quote posted by Fohat doesn't give me confidence in Trump's administration.
« Last Edit: Sat, 19 November 2016, 10:54:17 by derezzed »

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #393 on: Sat, 19 November 2016, 13:01:38 »

From a relatively uninformed outside perspective you were given the choice of voting for two unacceptable 'famous' candidates and two with no advertising budget.

I liken this choice to having to chose between being shot in the right leg, left leg, or shot at by one of two people who've been blindfolded and spun around so will probably do less damage.  A huge majority of those who voted wanted to get shot...

Then you misunderstand Modern Democracy in the first place..

WE DON"T have a Democracy..

That's rule #1 of the 21st century..

It's an Oligarchy through and through.. It has ALWAYS been an Oligarchy..

Even between  bands of 2 people.. the stronger person has more power..

Democracy assumes equal decision rights (at some level),  but that is impossible, because you only have as much rights as your ability to enforce/enact them.

The problem is not with the world as it is.. the problem is with ^^^^ That^^^^ assumption which form their primary benchmark for democracy.. which is plain WRONG.

Offline dantan

« Reply #394 on: Mon, 21 November 2016, 13:47:01 »
I think Americans are about to get what they deserve.

it is a pity the rest of the world will be affected.

Hillary would not have made a good president either. She was even more in hock to established banks than Obama was.

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #395 on: Wed, 23 November 2016, 11:31:55 »
Nice to know that Trump is like all other politicians and completely bull****s during his campaign before not actually doing anything he said he would.
Can we get them to build the Alps ten feet higher and get Cherry to pay for it?
Katushkin's Clearout | Twitter | Steam | Instagram| Discord - katushkin

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #396 on: Wed, 23 November 2016, 14:08:46 »
Nice to know that Trump is like all other politicians and completely bull****s during his campaign before not actually doing anything he said he would.

Seems that way. Transparency is going to be shot to hell and back, though. The US President doesn't want to live in the White House, wtf is that about?

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #397 on: Wed, 23 November 2016, 15:52:52 »
He wants to rent it out like a function room of a hotel :))
Can we get them to build the Alps ten feet higher and get Cherry to pay for it?
Katushkin's Clearout | Twitter | Steam | Instagram| Discord - katushkin

Offline fanpeople

« Reply #398 on: Wed, 23 November 2016, 16:24:45 »
K guys, threads closed. See you all here again in 4 years.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #399 on: Wed, 23 November 2016, 16:35:54 »
Ultimately who cares. Does anyone really believe their day to day is going to change in any way? Coming to the realization that the job of President is very controlled, and mostly a figure head position.