Author Topic: IBM Keyboard Collection [UPDATE 12/29/2013]  (Read 22528 times)

Offline 127001

IBM Keyboard Collection [UPDATE 12/29/2013]
« on: Fri, 04 October 2013, 18:33:30 »
Updated my IBM Keyboard collection:

Left display case:

Top-down:
More

Right display case:

Top-down:
More

I need to get another display case as I have a bunch of other boards that I can't display right now. I plan is to eventually have a fact sheet accompanying all of these and have it be a little personal museum. All of that is a few years off though...
« Last Edit: Sun, 29 December 2013, 08:51:09 by 127001 »

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
Re: IBM Model M & F Collection
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 04 October 2013, 18:48:31 »
All I need to complete it is some foam to replace the old stuff (it was complete rotten; Please recommend some stuff to use),

and I need to convert some of the rust that's on the galvanized bit still trying to figure out how to preserve the sticker on the plate though.

I went through a process for making a new foam mat in my guide. I like the thicker art store foam (@ about 1/16" or 1.5mm) but other people like a much thinner neoprene. Obviously, the thinner the foam the easier the plates go back together. The XTs are the easiest, in general, anyway.

http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=48786.msg1048948#msg1048948

I have had good luck masking stickers with clear plastic and masking tape, just be careful and don't expect it to stand up to too much abuse.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline 127001

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 04 October 2013, 18:52:15 »
Nice, thanks for the info :D. I've only gone to the art store once looking for it and they really didn't seem to have anything that would work. I'm going to search amazon to find something I think.

BTW: That is one of the walk through I used for my process. It's very well done :D.
« Last Edit: Fri, 04 October 2013, 18:54:14 by 127001 »

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 04 October 2013, 19:10:42 »
That's a happy family photo :D

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 04 October 2013, 19:16:43 »
My goal is to have EVERY part number, which will be difficult/expensive/time consuming, but I think it will be worth it in the end.

That is indeed ambitious. One look at clickykeyboards.com or the Model M wikipedia entry would dissuade me in a hurry.

The Model M has scarce and pricey variants (eg industrial SSKs and M15s), while there were a lot of weird Fs from the early days that will be just crazy rare.

As with coin collecting, I recommend that you start with a "type set" and collect a good example of each major type, before drilling down into things like part numbers.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #5 on: Fri, 04 October 2013, 20:10:36 »
Always brings a tear to the eye to see a nice collection like that.

Back in the day these keyboards would like lined up and no-one would have given them a second look.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline 127001

« Reply #6 on: Fri, 04 October 2013, 20:26:45 »
Always brings a tear to the eye to see a nice collection like that.

Back in the day these keyboards would like lined up and no-one would have given them a second look.

I'm glad someone else like them :P. I just like what they represent overall I guess.
In addition to these I also have a Das Keyboard (<rage>...) and I'm thinking of picking up an HHKB (<YeahIGetWhatThatDoesHere>...)as a present to myself for my birthday.

That is indeed ambitious. One look at clickykeyboards.com or the Model M wikipedia entry would dissuade me in a hurry.

The Model M has scarce and pricey variants (eg industrial SSKs and M15s), while there were a lot of weird Fs from the early days that will be just crazy rare.

As with coin collecting, I recommend that you start with a "type set" and collect a good example of each major type, before drilling down into things like part numbers.

I'm only focused on the BS, non-Lexmark, non-industrial, non-security harden, Model M's right now. I think a regular SSK is an achievable goal at present, it's gonna cost a pretty penny though.

Don't get me wrong, I want all of those, but I see them at a different price point and would be a more justifiable purchase when they're completing a substantial collection. As for the Model F's, those are complimentary to the collection I would say. Mostly, I've been buying them from recycling centers, yard sales, and craigs list; ebay inflates stuff quite a bit :P.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #7 on: Fri, 04 October 2013, 20:33:11 »
As for the Model F's, those are complimentary to the collection I would say.

Aha. So you want a collection for the sake of collecting. If you were actually using them, you would discover, at some point, that the Model F makes the Model M seem like a plastic toy.

Offline 127001

« Reply #8 on: Fri, 04 October 2013, 20:42:41 »
As for the Model F's, those are complimentary to the collection I would say.

Aha. So you want a collection for the sake of collecting. If you were actually using them, you would discover, at some point, that the Model F makes the Model M seem like a plastic toy.

Well...
When the F I have was completely assembled I have to say that it was more satisfying to use. That said, I haven't really been able to use it properly as of yet. The layout is my only issue; I like F11-12. I'm going to make an F24 a priority of my collection that's for sure.
Also I plan to have the collection ready so that I can swap out keyboards at will; they have to be used to be appreciated of course.

Offline sprit

•  Post Editing Timeout
  • Location: The Geek Symphosion :::::: Mechanical Engineering ::: Alta Magna Uniforma :::::: 哀吾生之須臾羨長江之無窮 ::
« Reply #9 on: Tue, 08 October 2013, 04:25:07 »
Nice Collection!  I love F series

Offline 127001

« Reply #10 on: Mon, 14 October 2013, 18:39:45 »
Added another keyboard to the collection:

IBM F AT

I've yet to clean it up. Probably going to disassemble it in the next couple of weeks, assess it for rust, and fix up whatever needs to fixed. It'll give me a reason to finish my other IBM Model F.

I have another addition coming in later this week. I'll update again then.
« Last Edit: Mon, 14 October 2013, 18:41:18 by 127001 »

Offline 127001

« Reply #11 on: Fri, 18 October 2013, 20:02:49 »
Updated the original post with some better potatoes. Also add a photo of the new SSK addition.

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #12 on: Fri, 18 October 2013, 22:21:49 »
The F AT is the one IBM keyboard I'm sad to have sold.  My Model M felt like a toy compared to it.

Offline 127001

« Reply #13 on: Wed, 13 November 2013, 19:44:02 »
Added some new boards. Still have to take some non-potatoes.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #14 on: Thu, 14 November 2013, 09:24:00 »
Man that beam spring board looks awesome. I can't wait to try out a beam spring board. Like I said before, your collection is pretty awesome 127001. :D

Offline 127001

« Reply #15 on: Thu, 14 November 2013, 10:56:39 »
Man that beam spring board looks awesome. I can't wait to try out a beam spring board. Like I said before, your collection is pretty awesome 127001. :D

I'm glad people like it. I need to get them properly displayed though. Might have to wait until I get a different place though.

Offline Alessandro

• * Vendor
  • The Price Is Right
    • Alessandro's Sweet Shop
« Reply #16 on: Fri, 15 November 2013, 16:23:06 »
Nice collection! And PMd regarding.
KBC Poker | MX Reds | Beige Doubleshots
Goldtouch 10Key Pad | MX Browns | Beige Doubleshots
IBM Model M-122 Terminal (Bolt modded) | Buckling Springs | Beige Dyesubs

Alessandro's Sweet Shop- "I never said they were art."

Offline 127001

Re: IBM Model M & F Collection NOW ON DISPLAY
« Reply #17 on: Sun, 17 November 2013, 20:50:47 »
Put together a temporary display made from cheap shelving from Walmart. I can't hang selves in my apt due to the CMU's and apt. rules so I'm settling for this setup for the time being. I'm probably going to grab another one next week if I can and add more of my boards to the display.

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
  • sorry if i was ever an ******* to you
« Reply #18 on: Sun, 17 November 2013, 20:53:53 »
That display looks absolutely amazing. Such a nice collection.
https://kbdarchive.org/
github
discord: hi mum#5710

Offline 127001

« Reply #19 on: Sun, 17 November 2013, 20:58:58 »

I'm acutally pretty happy with the way it looks. Cost me like only $50 too.

Offline Dubsgalore

• Banned
  • Location: 75% You have received a warning for attempting to circumvent the classifieds rules
    • Dubs - Sneakers, Keyboards, and Life
« Reply #20 on: Sun, 17 November 2013, 20:59:39 »
Wow that looks really awesome

I'd like that someday for my own keyboards....

that beamspring too... wow

Offline 127001

« Reply #21 on: Sun, 17 November 2013, 21:21:24 »
I tried to begin and end with a bang :P

Offline Michael

• Formerly Bro Caps
  • * Maker
  • REEEeeeeEEEEEEEEeeeeeeeeeeeEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEeeeee
« Reply #22 on: Sun, 17 November 2013, 21:22:18 »
Really amazing collection, sir. I am considering building up a collection myself.

I had a few really nice SSK's that I sold, regrettably.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #23 on: Mon, 18 November 2013, 03:34:56 »
Put together a temporary display made from cheap shelving from Walmart. I can't hang selves in my apt due to the CMU's and apt. rules so I'm settling for this setup for the time being. I'm probably going to grab another one next week if I can and add more of my boards to the display.
Show Image

Fantastic effect with the lighting.

LEDs?

Where did you run the wires?
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline snoopy

• The Flying Ace
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Gone with the Wind
« Reply #24 on: Mon, 18 November 2013, 03:43:34 »
Nice collection. From top to bottom its like the evolution of the ibm keyboard. Too bad there is no place for a ssk in your display. Don't know what kind of light you use, but make sure it doesn't harm the keyboards if it will be switched on for long time and so directly over the keyboards

Offline calavera

« Reply #25 on: Mon, 18 November 2013, 03:57:49 »
M15 should be on top. Just sayin'

Offline 127001

« Reply #26 on: Mon, 18 November 2013, 05:01:18 »

It think you're right from a structural standpoint... That thing is heavy. I'm probably going to swap the whole thing around later. Ideally though I'm going to have this whole thing run horizontally, not vertically.

LEDs?

Nice collection. From top to bottom its like the evolution of the ibm keyboard. Too bad there is no place for a ssk in your display. Don't know what kind of light you use, but make sure it doesn't harm the keyboards if it will be switched on for long time and so directly over the keyboards

I got these cheap Xeon lights from Homedepot. I know that's probably not the best but it's a short term solution right now. The lights are all able to be attached together at a dimmer switch which I only every leave on low; it doesn't seem to put off too much heat at that setting so I think the keyboards will be perfectly fine. The shelves are just cheap flat-pack stuff so I Just cut a whole in the cardboard in the back to run the wire through.

I'd have put my SSK in there but I'm using it right now :P

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #27 on: Tue, 19 November 2013, 03:57:51 »

It think you're right from a structural standpoint... That thing is heavy. I'm probably going to swap the whole thing around later. Ideally though I'm going to have this whole thing run horizontally, not vertically.

LEDs?

I got these cheap Xeon lights from Homedepot. I know that's probably not the best but it's a short term solution right now. The lights are all able to be attached together at a dimmer switch which I only every leave on low; it doesn't seem to put off too much heat at that setting so I think the keyboards will be perfectly fine. The shelves are just cheap flat-pack stuff so I Just cut a whole in the cardboard in the back to run the wire through.

I'd have put my SSK in there but I'm using it right now :P

A neat solution - thanks for that!

Offline 127001

Re: IBM Model M & F Collection NEW DISPLAY
« Reply #28 on: Sat, 23 November 2013, 19:27:52 »
Added more shelving and improved the display:

Offline Michael

• Formerly Bro Caps
  • * Maker
  • REEEeeeeEEEEEEEEeeeeeeeeeeeEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEeeeee
« Reply #29 on: Sat, 23 November 2013, 19:29:45 »
Really slick setup. I just got my M15. Looks like some retr0brite will be needed :(

Offline berserkfan

• changing diapers is more fun than model f assembly
Re: IBM Model M & F Collection NOW ON DISPLAY
« Reply #30 on: Sun, 24 November 2013, 11:41:24 »
if the beam spring shelf collapses it will be disaster all the way down, heh

poor M15, death by beam spring squashing

Show Image

Most of the modding can be done on your own once you break through the psychological barriers.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #31 on: Sun, 24 November 2013, 11:43:40 »
Damn that looks good. I should do that with my collection

Offline sprit

•  Post Editing Timeout
  • Location: The Geek Symphosion :::::: Mechanical Engineering ::: Alta Magna Uniforma :::::: 哀吾生之須臾羨長江之無窮 ::
« Reply #32 on: Sun, 24 November 2013, 23:59:35 »
Added more shelving and improved the display:
Show Image

Offline MKULTRA

• telling it how it is
« Reply #33 on: Tue, 10 December 2013, 17:55:34 »
Needs a kishsaver!

Offline 127001

« Reply #34 on: Tue, 10 December 2013, 17:59:46 »
Needs a kishsaver!

En route. Along with a German Language beam spring :D

Offline BlueBär

« Reply #35 on: Tue, 10 December 2013, 18:21:59 »
En route. Along with a German Language beam spring :D

Ah that was you! Nice get :thumb:

Offline Creizai

« Reply #36 on: Sat, 14 December 2013, 16:19:21 »
Mega awesome

Offline 127001

« Reply #37 on: Mon, 16 December 2013, 19:48:40 »
NEW KEYBOARD:

Kishsaver:

And finally... what's probably the sexiest photo I've ever taken...

Offline 127001

Re: IBM Keyboard Collection [UPDATE 12/29/2013]
« Reply #38 on: Sun, 29 December 2013, 08:50:23 »
Updated my display and added a new beamspring to the collection  :)

Offline mapple

« Reply #39 on: Thu, 16 January 2014, 01:03:39 »
dammmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, i'm so jealous.....................
In God We Trust

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #40 on: Wed, 05 February 2014, 22:57:11 »
*fap fap fap
IV KWK Info Thread & KBK Info Thread IV (out of date)

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"

Offline ZSYStriker

« Reply #41 on: Thu, 05 June 2014, 08:15:18 »
That beam spring board on the bottom right -- can that be used with some sort of adapter with modern computers?

Offline Frenir

• HHKB Viking
« Reply #42 on: Thu, 05 June 2014, 08:16:39 »
NEW KEYBOARD:

Kishsaver:
Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

And finally... what's probably the sexiest photo I've ever taken...
Show Image

Woah, that is sexy - nice collection you have there.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #43 on: Thu, 05 June 2014, 08:17:13 »
That beam spring board on the bottom right -- can that be used with some sort of adapter with modern computers?

Thank's to xwhatsit, yes.. I don't think that the controller works with the displaywriter boards but I don't think that's a display writer.

Offline Phenix

« Reply #44 on: Fri, 29 April 2016, 17:00:30 »
You make me really jealous
nice collection, badly I cant find an M15 anywhere :p
Winter is coming.

Offline menuhin

« Reply #45 on: Sun, 15 May 2016, 14:27:55 »
You are approaching the rank of IBM rare keyboard museum curator!  :thumb:
Wishlist: 1) nice thick Alps caps; 2) Cherry profile POM;
More
Wishful-list: 1) We order from keyboard-layout-editor.com; 2) usable Trackpoint module for all keyboards
IBM M13 black
NeXT non-ADB keyboard (AAE)
HHKB Pro 2 HasuBT
[~90WPM, in love with Emacs, and Lisp]