Author Topic: Clueboard 66% PCB - Pre-soldered Underlight Available!  (Read 194805 times)

Offline JaccoW

• Fire Typer!!
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Keyboard is Lava!
Re: Clueboard 66% PCB
« Reply #50 on: Mon, 15 February 2016, 11:01:18 »
Shame I missed the first round but  I will definitely buy a pcb + plate for my FC660M.
It is my work board that I lug around in a custom case. Any chance of a carbon fiber plate? ;)
|||Daily driver: Duck Orion TKL
|||My other keyboards :
More
|||The Original|Home|Work|Numpad|Play|Endgame|Keycaps
x
|Déck Legend Frost|Keycool 87 LE|Leopold FC660M|FC 210TP|Raptor K1 Gaming|Duck Orion TKL|My keycaps & sets
|Pics|Pics|Pics|Pics|Pics|Pics

|||Want to know what Keycap stores there are? Check out my Keyboard Pearltree and my (FS/FT/WTB) thread

Offline skullydazed

• Had to turn PM's off. Email info@clueboard.co!
    • Clueboard
« Reply #51 on: Mon, 15 February 2016, 11:29:31 »
Shame I missed the first round but  I will definitely buy a pcb + plate for my FC660M.
It is my work board that I lug around in a custom case. Any chance of a carbon fiber plate? ;)

No plans for now but anything is possible. If there's enough interest we can do a group buy for one.

Offline JaccoW

• Fire Typer!!
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Keyboard is Lava!
« Reply #52 on: Mon, 15 February 2016, 14:17:57 »
No plans for now but anything is possible. If there's enough interest we can do a group buy for one.
Mostly looking for a way to make my work keyboard lighter. So either CF or titanium would work.
CF would need a redesigned plate and some extra work (see bazh's weaven GB) whereas titanium can be anodized in funky colors.
|||My other keyboards :
More
x
|Déck Legend Frost|Keycool 87 LE|Leopold FC660M|FC 210TP|Raptor K1 Gaming|Duck Orion TKL|My keycaps & sets

|||Want to know what Keycap stores there are? Check out my Keyboard Pearltree and my (FS/FT/WTB) thread

Offline FLFisherman

• * Elevated Elder
  • I'd rather be fishing.
« Reply #53 on: Thu, 18 February 2016, 20:07:44 »
I saw that you mentioned in December that a future version of this PCB would support LEDs. Is there any estimate on when this may be released? I am of course assuming that the 2.0 version does not support it, and I could be entirely mistaken.

Offline skullydazed

• Clueboard
« Reply #54 on: Thu, 18 February 2016, 20:59:04 »
I saw that you mentioned in December that a future version of this PCB would support LEDs. Is there any estimate on when this may be released? I am of course assuming that the 2.0 version does not support it, and I could be entirely mistaken.

Lighting is a continually evolving story. I don't want to commit to any specific timeline but I want to support most LED options.

Offline Tuntematon

« Reply #55 on: Sat, 20 February 2016, 15:13:27 »
A few questions:

1) When do we get to see the new PCB 2.0 layout options?
2) Will there be a new aluminum Alps plate that supports all the current and new options? I'd like to have Alps in a split space bar + split backspace layout.

Thanks!

Offline skullydazed

• Clueboard
« Reply #56 on: Sat, 20 February 2016, 17:52:33 »
A few questions:

1) When do we get to see the new PCB 2.0 layout options?
2) Will there be a new aluminum Alps plate that supports all the current and new options? I'd like to have Alps in a split space bar + split backspace layout.

Thanks!

I'm working on the layouts. I may be able to have that this weekend, but I have to finish some Nantucket Selectric work first.

It's harder to support multiple alps layouts due to the stabilizer situation. If you want a specific layout I can cut an acrylic board, but I don't know if there will ever be a generic alps aluminum plate available.

Offline vivalarevolución

• Keep it real b/c any other way is too stressful
« Reply #57 on: Mon, 22 February 2016, 20:46:46 »
Obviously, an Alps bottom row with split spacebar fits with existing modifier key sizes could be workable. But we all would have to go find ourselves some extra modifiers.
Wish I had some gif or quote for this space, but I got nothing

Offline derezzed

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #58 on: Thu, 25 February 2016, 23:02:02 »
Is there any possibility of a 1u or 1.25u key in the middle of the split spacebar for the version 2.0 PCB? 

Offline skullydazed

• Clueboard
« Reply #59 on: Fri, 26 February 2016, 02:08:39 »
Is there any possibility of a 1u or 1.25u key in the middle of the split spacebar for the version 2.0 PCB?

Not at this point, I've already ordered the 2.0. I will keep it in mind for the next revision of the PCB.

Offline JaccoW

• Fire Typer!!
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Keyboard is Lava!
« Reply #60 on: Fri, 26 February 2016, 04:11:00 »
Will this plate work in a standard FC660M case?
https://shop.clueboard.co/Clueboard-66-Aluminum-Plate-for-MX.html

Edit: I should learn how to read. The answer is yes.
« Last Edit: Fri, 26 February 2016, 04:31:48 by JaccoW »
|||My other keyboards :
More
x

Offline vivalarevolución

« Reply #61 on: Fri, 26 February 2016, 05:19:50 »
For anyone that ordered a PCB 2.0 with additional components, is the shipping delayed until all components arrive? I assume that's the case, but I just want to be sure.

Offline skullydazed

• Clueboard
« Reply #62 on: Fri, 26 February 2016, 09:27:13 »
For anyone that ordered a PCB 2.0 with additional components, is the shipping delayed until all components arrive? I assume that's the case, but I just want to be sure.

Yes, if you pre-ordered your whole order is being held until those come in.

Offline vivalarevolución

« Reply #63 on: Fri, 26 February 2016, 15:28:21 »

Yes, if you pre-ordered your whole order is being held until those come in.

Thanks, that's what I figured.

Offline derezzed

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #64 on: Fri, 26 February 2016, 19:54:40 »

Not at this point, I've already ordered the 2.0. I will keep it in mind for the next revision of the PCB.

That's only slightly disappointing.  But the way you designed the bottom row will still allow me to reach the keys next to the split space bar with minimal hand movement.  Clueboard is going to be my next keyboard and my first non-mass produced keyboard.  The version 1.0 PCB looks so clean, I'm eager to see how 2.0 turns out.  I already bought switches and a case.  I got the case from Massdrop (sorry, but $20 is $20), but I'm not sure about the angle.  I figure if I don't like it, maybe I can convert it into a planter or something, and buy one of your acrylic cases (so many options!).  Now, I'm just waiting for the 2.0 PCB and plate to become available.  Well, I had planned on waiting but I'm wondering if it's possible 2.0 will sell out before it even arrives.  Is 2.0 going to have a limited run or will it be available for a while? 

Offline skullydazed

• Clueboard
« Reply #65 on: Fri, 26 February 2016, 23:55:43 »
That's only slightly disappointing.  But the way you designed the bottom row will still allow me to reach the keys next to the split space bar with minimal hand movement.  Clueboard is going to be my next keyboard and my first non-mass produced keyboard.  The version 1.0 PCB looks so clean, I'm eager to see how 2.0 turns out.  I already bought switches and a case.  I got the case from Massdrop (sorry, but $20 is $20), but I'm not sure about the angle.  I figure if I don't like it, maybe I can convert it into a planter or something, and buy one of your acrylic cases (so many options!).  Now, I'm just waiting for the 2.0 PCB and plate to become available.  Well, I had planned on waiting but I'm wondering if it's possible 2.0 will sell out before it even arrives.  Is 2.0 going to have a limited run or will it be available for a while?

Don't be sorry about ordering the case from massdrop. The more people who order that the more it'll go up for sale. That's the only way I replenish that stock for now. :)

Assuming there are no issues to fix, I plan to keep rerunning 2.0 for a while. The initial order ships in just a few days and about 1/3rd of those have already been sold. I'll order more as soon as half of them have been sold. I can't think of anything I want to add to the current Clueboard, instead I plan to next work on things that compliment the Clueboard.

Offline vivalarevolución

« Reply #66 on: Sat, 27 February 2016, 11:23:01 »

That's only slightly disappointing.  But the way you designed the bottom row will still allow me to reach the keys next to the split space bar with minimal hand movement.  Clueboard is going to be my next keyboard and my first non-mass produced keyboard.

First non-mass produced keyboard?  Welcome to the club!

Offline cheddarbek

« Reply #67 on: Sat, 05 March 2016, 02:06:58 »
I'm so excited to get my clueboard. As with all custom boards, the wait is always agonizing, but so worth it for the awesomeness that the members of this community create.
The Alps cover 65% of Switzerland's surface area (41,285 km²), making it one of the most alpine countries. Despite the fact that Switzerland covers only 14% of the Alps total area (192,753 km²),[2][3] many alpine four-thousanders (48 of 82) are located in the Swiss Alps and practically all of the remaining few are within 20 km of the country's border.

Offline faxe

« Reply #68 on: Sat, 05 March 2016, 08:00:18 »
But the wait is only half as bad as waitung for some GB stuff that takes 6 months to a year to arrive :). Also can't wait  :p
ISO Clueboard V2 Zealio 78g -ISO Clueboard V1 MX Clear - ISO 60% MX Clear - ISO Filco MJ 2 MX Brown - ISO is life

Offline derezzed

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #69 on: Sat, 05 March 2016, 11:51:29 »
You think you have it bad.  At least you know your parts are going to arrive sometime.  I've got to wait for the parts to be available for order.  There's no option to preorder the plate.  And to twist the knife even more, my case already arrived.  Sure, I have to wait for my switches but those are already ordered so I know they're coming.

Offline skullydazed

• Clueboard
« Reply #70 on: Sat, 05 March 2016, 12:38:45 »
You think you have it bad.  At least you know your parts are going to arrive sometime.  I've got to wait for the parts to be available for order.  There's no option to preorder the plate.  And to twist the knife even more, my case already arrived.  Sure, I have to wait for my switches but those are already ordered so I know they're coming.

As soon as I have an order for plates underway I will open that up to pre-orders. This week has been a lot of work on Nantucket Selectric during my "not packing/shipping orders" time.

Offline derezzed

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #71 on: Sat, 05 March 2016, 13:13:49 »
As soon as that notification email hits my inbox, I will be ordering a plate (still going go have blue?), PCB, and stabilizers.  Will Alps ever support the same layout options as Cherry?  I don't plan on buying Alps any time soon, but was wondering if the option might be available in the future.

Offline skullydazed

• Clueboard
« Reply #72 on: Sat, 05 March 2016, 13:39:49 »
As soon as that notification email hits my inbox, I will be ordering a plate (still going go have blue?), PCB, and stabilizers.  Will Alps ever support the same layout options as Cherry?  I don't plan on buying Alps any time soon, but was wondering if the option might be available in the future.

A universal alps plate will be available as soon as someone develops PCB mount alps stabs. ;)

I can cut custom layouts from acrylic, or if there's enough demand we can do other layouts as well. I'd like to offer an ISO layout at minimum, but it'll be some time until I can afford to keep stock on less popular items.

Offline kuang2

« Reply #73 on: Mon, 07 March 2016, 23:33:41 »
Hi Skully,

I can not access to your shop. How can to order PCB?

Offline skullydazed

• Clueboard
« Reply #74 on: Wed, 09 March 2016, 00:02:18 »
Hi Skully,

I can not access to your shop. How can to order PCB?

Everyone should be able to access my shop. Do you know why you can't?

Offline skullydazed

• Clueboard
« Reply #75 on: Thu, 10 March 2016, 19:09:28 »
Pre-order update!

I have received word from the factory that the PCB's have been manufactured, but they did not have time to go through inspection today. Tomorrow they will go through inspection and then be shipped out. That means that I should have them in hand and ready to validate by early next week. I could be ready to ship PCB's as early as a week from tomorrow if everything looks good. (*knocks on wood*)

Offline faxe

« Reply #76 on: Sat, 12 March 2016, 05:54:56 »
Woohoo!
ISO Clueboard V2 Zealio 78g -ISO Clueboard V1 MX Clear - ISO 60% MX Clear - ISO Filco MJ 2 MX Brown - ISO is life

Offline JaccoW

• Fire Typer!!
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Keyboard is Lava!
« Reply #77 on: Mon, 14 March 2016, 08:43:37 »
Just waiting for the new PCBs and plates. :D
|||My other keyboards :
More
x

Offline JaccoW

• Fire Typer!!
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Keyboard is Lava!
« Reply #78 on: Wed, 16 March 2016, 13:03:13 »
Preordered an Alps kit. It's time to finally get my hands dirty and learn how to solder. :P
|||My other keyboards :
More
x

Offline pwade3

« Reply #79 on: Wed, 16 March 2016, 13:07:30 »
Preordered an Alps kit. It's time to finally get my hands dirty and learn how to solder. :P

I just ordered one of the Clueboard switch testers last week for a combination of actual switch testing and learning how to solder for if I want to pick up an actual Clueboard.

Offline faxe

« Reply #80 on: Thu, 17 March 2016, 12:06:13 »
Just to get my hype going even better, PCB V1 had in switch led for CapsLock, Insert and Arrow Keys and V2 will have these plus ESC?

Offline skullydazed

• Clueboard
« Reply #81 on: Thu, 17 March 2016, 14:16:11 »
Just to get my hype going even better, PCB V1 had in switch led for CapsLock, Insert and Arrow Keys and V2 will have these plus ESC?

Correct! And all the LED's spots are connected to PWM pins on the MCU, which means you get full brightness control.

As well, there's an LED on LCTRL for people who swap ctrl and capslock. This LED is tied to the capslock LED so you can't have both, but you can put an LED in one or the other.

Offline yinzer

• I'm new around here ... please don't notice.
« Reply #82 on: Sat, 19 March 2016, 08:20:18 »
Pre-order update!

I have received word from the factory that the PCB's have been manufactured, but they did not have time to go through inspection today. Tomorrow they will go through inspection and then be shipped out. That means that I should have them in hand and ready to validate by early next week. I could be ready to ship PCB's as early as a week from tomorrow if everything looks good. (*knocks on wood*)

Will there be any leftovers from this batch or are they all spoken for?

Offline StormyMonday

« Reply #83 on: Sat, 19 March 2016, 11:32:34 »
I'm looking forward to putting one of these together with Alps switches, so I've just requested another drop on the case. But, that only makes 43 requests; we need 200!

Offline skullydazed

• Clueboard
« Reply #84 on: Sat, 19 March 2016, 13:47:45 »

Only about half the current batch is spoken for, the rest will go up for sale soon.

I built a clueboard and two numpads last night, and so far every feature I've tested has worked great. Sometime this weekend you'll see pictures and maybe even some video, and then all the PCB pre-orders will go out on Monday or Tuesday this week.

Offline cheddarbek

« Reply #85 on: Sat, 19 March 2016, 14:19:25 »
Awesome! Can't wait to get mind. Now it's just up to Massdrop to get the case out soon.
The Alps cover 65% of Switzerland's surface area (41,285 km²), making it one of the most alpine countries. Despite the fact that Switzerland covers only 14% of the Alps total area (192,753 km²),[2][3] many alpine four-thousanders (48 of 82) are located in the Swiss Alps and practically all of the remaining few are within 20 km of the country's border.

Offline derezzed

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #86 on: Sun, 20 March 2016, 02:11:40 »
Do you expect to have Cherry MX aluminum plates available for purchase/preorder before the current batch of v2 PCBs sells out?  If not, can you estimate when the next batch of PCBs will become available?

Offline yinzer

• I'm new around here ... please don't notice.
« Reply #87 on: Sun, 20 March 2016, 10:06:40 »

Only about half the current batch is spoken for, the rest will go up for sale soon.

I built a clueboard and two numpads last night, and so far every feature I've tested has worked great. Sometime this weekend you'll see pictures and maybe even some video, and then all the PCB pre-orders will go out on Monday or Tuesday this week.

Nice! I have a few questions -

If I order today, can I get in on that batch? Or do you ship pretty regularly?

Is there a default layout flashed on the PCBs? If not, is the firmware guide mentioned on the support page going to be available soon? I've only built boards from InputClub and their configurator makes the firmware process pretty painless.

Also, while not a PCB related question, I don't know where else to ask - you offer the option to skip out on the top layer of the case. Have you ever had anyone do a build like this to get that sort of Lolita Spyder 'floating keys look? and would that make the screws too long?

Thanks for any help!  :D

Offline skullydazed

• Clueboard
« Reply #88 on: Sun, 20 March 2016, 12:25:17 »
Do you expect to have Cherry MX aluminum plates available for purchase/preorder before the current batch of v2 PCBs sells out?  If not, can you estimate when the next batch of PCBs will become available?

I'm working on ordering another round of aluminum plates. If I don't have those in before the current batch sells out the next batch of PCB's should be here in early April. I'm working to always have PCB's in stock.

Offline skullydazed

• Clueboard
« Reply #89 on: Sun, 20 March 2016, 12:32:04 »

Nice! I have a few questions -

If I order today, can I get in on that batch? Or do you ship pretty regularly?

Is there a default layout flashed on the PCBs? If not, is the firmware guide mentioned on the support page going to be available soon? I've only built boards from InputClub and their configurator makes the firmware process pretty painless.

Also, while not a PCB related question, I don't know where else to ask - you offer the option to skip out on the top layer of the case. Have you ever had anyone do a build like this to get that sort of Lolita Spyder 'floating keys look? and would that make the screws too long?

Thanks for any help!  :D

Yes, if you order today you'll be shipped from the stock I have right now. Once I have packaged up all the PCB's and packed the pre-orders I will be putting the remaining stock up on the store.

The PCB ships with a default layout (updated version to be published soon) that is pretty similar to the fc660m. You can also flash it using QMK if you want to customize the layout. I'm working on my own web based configurator for the clueboard but it is not ready yet.

It's totally doable to leave the top layer off! You will have to source your own screws (M5 or 3/16") or move the top layer to the bottom to accommodate the screws, as you note. I'm working on a better solution for that problem, but have not yet licked it.

Offline kuang2

« Reply #90 on: Tue, 22 March 2016, 03:20:37 »
Hi,

I have a question that does your PCB support AEKII layout? I have some AEK keyboard which in very good condition (both switch and keycap), and I want to use 660 layout.

Best,

Offline skullydazed

• Clueboard
« Reply #91 on: Wed, 23 March 2016, 03:02:09 »
Hi,

I have a question that does your PCB support AEKII layout? I have some AEK keyboard which in very good condition (both switch and keycap), and I want to use 660 layout.

Best,

You can use the 6.5u spacebar and the 1.25 mods (and 1u mods if you get ahold of an Apple Standard Keyboard or two) but you won't be able to do anything with the 1.5u mods without some weird spacing on the bottom row.

Offline skullydazed

• Clueboard
Re: Clueboard 66% PCB - New version 2.0!
« Reply #92 on: Wed, 23 March 2016, 03:09:47 »
The Clueboard 2.0 is here!

In addition to the previously announced features (new LED locations/control, more bottom row options, i2c support) there's a very exciting addition: RGB Underlight!

All pre-orders are ready to be fulfilled and you can expect to receive your tracking number tomorrow. The remaining stock will be available in the store shortly after.

Offline faxe

« Reply #93 on: Wed, 23 March 2016, 04:04:51 »
What? How? Why? Yeah! eh, presoldered? This is getting better every time :)

Offline skullydazed

• Clueboard
« Reply #94 on: Wed, 23 March 2016, 04:11:54 »
What? How? Why? Yeah! eh, presoldered? This is getting better every time :)

Not pre-soldered, but these are pretty easy as SMD components go. I've been able to do all of them with my soldering iron. You can pick up the proper LED's here:

https://www.sparkfun.com/products/13667

Offline pwade3

« Reply #95 on: Wed, 23 March 2016, 07:44:42 »
Oh man, that white case looks amazing with the LEDs, I've been debating case colors and that might just be it.

So am I correct in understanding that you can do a standard bottom row? So that the only nonstandard keys would either be a short or split shift on the right?

Offline skullydazed

• Clueboard
« Reply #96 on: Wed, 23 March 2016, 08:08:20 »
Oh man, that white case looks amazing with the LEDs, I've been debating case colors and that might just be it.

So am I correct in understanding that you can do a standard bottom row? So that the only nonstandard keys would either be a short or split shift on the right?

You can do mostly standard. If you have a 6.25u spacebar you will have to have a 1u mod somewhere on the bottom row (or leave a blank spot there.) If you go with a 6U spacebar you can have all 1.25u mods on the bottom, but a 6u spacebar isn't standard.

Offline pwade3

« Reply #97 on: Wed, 23 March 2016, 08:23:04 »

You can do mostly standard. If you have a 6.25u spacebar you will have to have a 1u mod somewhere on the bottom row (or leave a blank spot there.) If you go with a 6U spacebar you can have all 1.25u mods on the bottom, but a 6u spacebar isn't standard.

Ohh okay, thanks Skully, I'll keep that in mind. I was wondering how I'd seen a few out there with all 1.25u mods. I'm just not good at eyeballing spacebars haha.

Offline merlin64

• MechMerlin
« Reply #98 on: Wed, 23 March 2016, 09:45:23 »
Do the Acrylic case metal plate also fit the regular FC660m/Varmillo case
« Last Edit: Wed, 23 March 2016, 09:56:48 by merlin64 »

Offline Wannabe

• Independent Adjudicator
« Reply #99 on: Wed, 23 March 2016, 10:31:11 »
Oh man I might have to get in on another one of these now that there's purple case colors and underlighting support...will go perfect with purple JTK and zealios. How many RGB LEDs need to be soldered on? Are resistors needed too?
I liek keyboards