Author Topic: [IC] The Sol Deskmat - GB LIVE! - Nov 15th-29th (extending to Dec 5 for some)  (Read 30972 times)

Offline Bobatype

• Discord ID: BobaSweatandTears#1659

GB thread

Greetings Geekhack!
This is an interest check for the “Sol” Deskmat Series; a stellar backdrop to complement your mechanical input interface.

Featuring mandalas (circular abstract geometric patterns that symbolise the cosmos), this design is a tribute to the Sun and planets of our Solar System.
This depiction of the Heavens doesn’t pretend to be scientifically accurate, but at least it’s the Heliocentric model (shout-out to my man Copernicus).
I’ll leave any New Age metaphysical interpretations to those with broader minds than mine. I for one, simply just like anything related to Space. Space is cool.

Renders

Colourways

Note the number of variations will reduced based on the feedback form and vendor discussions.
Prototypes will be produced based on the most voted for designs, then after QC prototype approval, pre-orders will proceed.

Umbra //Dark

Radiance //Light

Copernicus //Gold Light

Hypatia //Rose Gold

Newton //Navy

Celestial //Lavender

Solarized //Turquoise

Hydrogen //Blue

Gravity //Gray

Prototypes

Specifications
900x400x4mm
Stitched Edging
Rubber non-slip bottom
Smooth cloth surface

Several details are littered throughout such as:
- Floral elements for Earth's design
- Wave/water references for Neptune's design
- Hearts for Pluto
- Sunflower for the Sun
- The Big Dipper and Southern Cross constellations

Vendors
USSpace
CanadaAshkeebs
EuropeSalvun
UKProto[Typist]
OceaniaSwitchkeys
ChinazFrontier
SE AsiaiLumkb
South Asia/Middle EastStacksKB

Timeline
Groupbuy: Nov 13th-29th *note that some vendors like StacksKB and Space may keep their listings open for a further week to catch any stragglers.

Stay Up to Date

via Discord Server
(#sol-deskmats for updates) | DMs: BobaSweatandTears#1659

via Email
Drop your email address in our feedback form if you’d like to be sent a quick message about the GB date, reminders upon the commencement

https://www.instagram.com/boba.kinks/

Mitos’ SA Godspeed deskmat served as indirect inspiration. When I get time, I’d like to re-explore the original composition of having the Sun on the left. This design is also in fact a byproduct of designing the KAT Space Dust project, which featured other space themed deskmats such as Singularity & Aero-Sol:
More

Also thanks to Ramaworks and Bachoo (Nemui) for kindly permitting renders on their keyboard designs

See You Space Cowboy...
BobaSweatandTears

Previous desk mat designs I've done include: KAT Great Wave and KAT Space Dustas well!
More

If you’re still reading this. Thanks! Here’s an upcoming tease of other projects

More

« Last Edit: Wed, 01 December 2021, 17:10:51 by bobasweatandtears »

Offline SxM Designs

• * Esteemed Elder
  • https://sxmdesigns.com
    • Website
Re: [IC] Sol Deskmat
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 10 June 2021, 02:41:52 »
Wow these are amazing!
Great job as usual bobas.

P.S The link to the feedback form under Colorways section redirects to the wave deskmat IC. The other link is fine.
« Last Edit: Thu, 10 June 2021, 02:44:41 by SxM Designs »

Offline Chronicle

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 10 June 2021, 03:02:38 »
Such a beautiful design! I do wonder about the thickness of the lines for the center mandala. It seems intentionally bolded and at a higher opacity than the rest? Or is it just because of its size?

Offline AshF

« Reply #3 on: Thu, 10 June 2021, 03:03:13 »
This is super good, well done
Looking forward to GB

Sent from my ASUS_I003D using Tapatalk

Offline Donetes

« Reply #4 on: Thu, 10 June 2021, 03:26:29 »
Im in

Offline Boy_314

« Reply #5 on: Thu, 10 June 2021, 03:37:21 »
i like this design. keyboard in the middle is orbited by the planets. filled out the form and will be looking forward to purchasing one.

Offline Shiba1337

« Reply #6 on: Thu, 10 June 2021, 04:16:18 »
looks good! would go in on this if I used my board in the center of my desk, but great mat regardless. glwic.

Offline SirTimmyTimbit

« Reply #7 on: Thu, 10 June 2021, 05:24:06 »
Looking great man 😍

Offline Darth_munkee

« Reply #8 on: Thu, 10 June 2021, 05:25:17 »
I'm in for at least one

Offline Rocket

« Reply #9 on: Thu, 10 June 2021, 06:50:02 »
Navy and white just sits right with me

Offline afynyth

« Reply #10 on: Thu, 10 June 2021, 11:21:34 »
For the radiance/light colorway, is the light color more of a white or greyish color? The image shown is a white color, but when I click on the image for the magnified view a grey version pops up instead.

Offline TyPo.mk

« Reply #11 on: Thu, 10 June 2021, 11:24:21 »
Everything you post is good

Offline FullCryoPsychochomp

• Will fight for keyboards
« Reply #12 on: Thu, 10 June 2021, 20:41:41 »
Now this is the fit. Def getting at least two.

Offline Bobatype

« Reply #13 on: Fri, 11 June 2021, 03:17:02 »
Wow these are amazing!
Great job as usual bobas.
P.S The link to the feedback form under Colorways section redirects to the wave deskmat IC. The other link is fine.
looks good! would go in on this if I used my board in the center of my desk, but great mat regardless. glwic.
I'm in for at least one
Everything you post is good
Im in
Looking great man 😍
Now this is the fit. Def getting at least two.
Thank you all for the lovely comments/support!

Navy and white just sits right with me
Yes, I love how classy/sophisticated the Navy colourway looks.

Such a beautiful design! I do wonder about the thickness of the lines for the center mandala. It seems intentionally bolded and at a higher opacity than the rest? Or is it just because of its size?
The thickness is larger than the planets lines, but its relative to its sheer size difference. I contemplated thinner lines, but felt that it would then make the design a bit busier than what I wanted to fill up the space. Given that it is the Sun and is meant to be the centerpiece, I like keeping the current line width thickness as 'bold'

For the radiance/light colorway, is the light color more of a white or greyish color? The image shown is a white color, but when I click on the image for the magnified view a grey version pops up instead.
It's more very light-gray? I'm not going for bleach white (I think it would be too harsh on the eyes), but will aim to get prototype photo/samples if possible. If you want the CYMK Hexcode value, I can DM you that.

i like this design. keyboard in the middle is orbited by the planets. filled out the form and will be looking forward to purchasing one.
Thank you. I'm really happy with the composition of the design overall with how the planets frame the keyboard.

Offline doctooowned

« Reply #14 on: Fri, 11 June 2021, 08:43:35 »
Looks great! Nice job.  :thumb:

Offline TheWonderBubble

« Reply #15 on: Fri, 11 June 2021, 13:35:57 »
Definitely going to be watching this one, this would be a lovely setup for my work desk.
Shhhhh...my wallet doesn't know I'm here.

Offline IOVERCALLHISTIOCYTES

« Reply #16 on: Fri, 11 June 2021, 14:12:47 »
Get a buy multiples/ships free deal or something w your vendor. This’ll sell.

Offline Yuinth

« Reply #17 on: Sat, 12 June 2021, 21:27:41 »
Love mandalas & love space, great combination.
Really like the composition and specially the Quasar and Aether colorways.
Definitely buying them.

GLWIC & GB.

Offline Neely_12

« Reply #18 on: Sat, 12 June 2021, 23:08:14 »
Cool idea. I would prefer to just have the planets themselves, but I understand its part of the theme. GLWIC!

Offline Bobatype

« Reply #19 on: Sat, 12 June 2021, 23:21:25 »
Thanks for all the kind comments and feedback.
I've added a few more options for polling consideration:

Galileo //Green

Copernicus //Gold Light

Aristarchus //Gold Dark

Also I tweaked the Hydrogen (Blue) deskmat to be a touch less saturated and darker:

Thanks to those who have voted for their preferences in the IC form. It helps a lot when deciding the final range of colour options.
« Last Edit: Sun, 14 November 2021, 05:29:27 by bobasweatandtears »

Offline saber8689

« Reply #20 on: Sun, 13 June 2021, 11:28:18 »
I REALLY like the design but....Pluto is not a planet. You should revamp it with the 8 planets IMO.

Offline TheWonderBubble

« Reply #21 on: Sun, 13 June 2021, 12:23:00 »
I REALLY like the design but....Pluto is not a planet. You should revamp it with the 8 planets IMO.

It's been a long time since I've wanted to fight someone over a forum post but....
Shhhhh...my wallet doesn't know I'm here.

Offline saber8689

« Reply #22 on: Sun, 13 June 2021, 20:29:48 »

It's been a long time since I've wanted to fight someone over a forum post but....

Why? No one else finds it odd that the Matt is the sun, 8 planets, and 1 planetoid?

Offline Bobatype

« Reply #23 on: Sun, 13 June 2021, 21:20:06 »

Why? No one else finds it odd that the Matt is the sun, 8 planets, and 1 planetoid?
Well Pluto used to be considered a planet, until it was reclassified as a 'dwarf planet 'by the IAU in 2006, not without much controversy. Some argue that dwarf planets, should be still deemed true planets, and that the 'clearing your neighbourhood' criterion is problematic in itself.
Regardless of current definition, Pluto is a celestial body in our Solar System, that retains historical significance. Hence why Earth's moon is also included despite there being many other moons.
Furthermore, from a design perspective, having 9 in total, balances out the symmetry design as Jupiter looks better centered.
Science is about discovery and constantly changes with new knowledge. So who knows? There might actually turn out to be another 'true' 9th planet in the future too (https://www.space.com/31670-planet-nine-solar-system-discovery.html)

Thanks for listening to my TedX talk

Offline afynyth

« Reply #24 on: Tue, 15 June 2021, 13:46:24 »

It's more very light-gray? I'm not going for bleach white (I think it would be too harsh on the eyes), but will aim to get prototype photo/samples if possible. If you want the CYMK Hexcode value, I can DM you that.

Seems like my eyes are playing tricks on me with the shift between black and white backgrounds lol. I do think that making it a really light gray or a warm white is the move. Too grey and it looks dull, at least to me.

Offline cutegunz

« Reply #25 on: Wed, 16 June 2021, 12:08:14 »
Would love to see this without the flowery abstract figure at the bottom, and just the planets orbiting the keyboard placement; or at least an option to have just the orbiting planets? Would be an instant buy for me. But overall, love the concept and design, esp lavender <3.

Offline dtywill

« Reply #26 on: Wed, 16 June 2021, 20:53:25 »
Would love to see this without the flowery abstract figure at the bottom, and just the planets orbiting the keyboard placement; or at least an option to have just the orbiting planets? Would be an instant buy for me. But overall, love the concept and design, esp lavender <3.
I think that’s supposed to be the sun

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Bobatype

« Reply #27 on: Fri, 18 June 2021, 21:09:31 »
Thanks for the feedback thus far! 300 responses, so I have a decent sample size for preferences.
In terms of top popularity, it goes: Umbra (Dark), Hypatia (Rose Gold), Radiance (Light), Newton (Navy), Gravity (Gray), Solarized (Turquoise), Aristarchus (Gold Dark), Copernicus (Gold Light) then Celestial (Lavender).
I'm going to start the process of contacting vendors to organise samples now and deciding how many colourways to run. As I do want to run 9, but we'll have to see.

I think that’s supposed to be the sun

Yes, it is meant to represent the Sun. It's designed to be a bit like a sunflower, given that it is the source of life on Earth.
At this point in time, I don't intend to remove it as the Sun is the center piece of the design (and Solar System) and the empty space without it there would look odd I feel
« Last Edit: Wed, 10 November 2021, 05:58:56 by bobasweatandtears »

Offline Cache

« Reply #28 on: Sat, 19 June 2021, 00:19:47 »
100% in for the rose gold, but lots of the options here are stellar (heh)

Offline Bobatype

« Reply #29 on: Sat, 19 June 2021, 04:59:46 »
I've added a few more basic renders of the Aristarchus and Copernicus colourways

100% in for the rose gold, but lots of the options here are stellar (heh)
Thanks! It's my personal favourite too.
« Last Edit: Wed, 10 November 2021, 20:17:23 by bobasweatandtears »

Offline Bonta

« Reply #30 on: Tue, 22 June 2021, 10:50:08 »
What are you doing to me man, I swear I seem to be joining every GB you do  :eek:

Offline saber8689

« Reply #31 on: Thu, 24 June 2021, 18:36:11 »

Well Pluto used to be considered a planet, until it was reclassified as a 'dwarf planet 'by the IAU in 2006, not without much controversy. Some argue that dwarf planets, should be still deemed true planets, and that the 'clearing your neighbourhood' criterion is problematic in itself.
Regardless of current definition, Pluto is a celestial body in our Solar System, that retains historical significance. Hence why Earth's moon is also included despite there being many other moons.
Furthermore, from a design perspective, having 9 in total, balances out the symmetry design as Jupiter looks better centered.
Science is about discovery and constantly changes with new knowledge. So who knows? There might actually turn out to be another 'true' 9th planet in the future too (https://www.space.com/31670-planet-nine-solar-system-discovery.html)

Thanks for listening to my TedX talk

Fair enough. The symmetry is certainly better with 9. Good luck with the IC and I'll def be picking one up if it goes to GB.

Offline Bobatype

« Reply #32 on: Mon, 28 June 2021, 22:53:43 »
What are you doing to me man, I swear I seem to be joining every GB you do  :eek:

Fair enough. The symmetry is certainly better with 9. Good luck with the IC and I'll def be picking one up if it goes to GB.

Thanks for all those who have completed the IC form! It helps a lot with determining what the final selection of colours are.
Given this is a GB, I'm keen to run as many variants as possible, but I sadly can't run all 14 options. Aiming for 9 or 10.
I'm currently in discussion with the NA vendor on organising prototype samples for the most popular colourways so I can check them in person too!

Offline Vigrith

« Reply #33 on: Tue, 29 June 2021, 14:23:06 »
Love it, buying several if EU vendor is a thing.

Good luck!

Offline Bobatype

« Reply #34 on: Tue, 06 July 2021, 00:29:56 »
Prototypes have been manufactured and will be shipped shortly.
|

Above left is a screenshot of a video of one of the deskmat in a lightbox, and right is the render.
As always the renders are a best attempt representation of ultimately an additive colour mixing colour process (CYMK), and even videos aren't completely accurate of colour. Waiting to receive samples in hand and if it passes my eye test, I will have someone with more photography expertise than I too take some nice photos.

Love it, buying several if EU vendor is a thing.

Good luck!
Thanks! EU vendor is definitely a thing!

Offline WarlordGorguts

« Reply #35 on: Sun, 01 August 2021, 12:26:50 »
Damn, every color looks great, will be waiting for the GB.

Offline kuromi

• kuromi is typing...
« Reply #36 on: Mon, 13 September 2021, 10:06:45 »
I need copernicus in my life.

Offline WillyWortel

« Reply #37 on: Fri, 29 October 2021, 04:17:42 »
 :eek: These are truly beautiful. Interested; Patiently waiting for the GB

Offline Bobatype

« Reply #38 on: Wed, 10 November 2021, 20:16:39 »
Groupbuy starts 15th November 2021 (Next Monday).
The duration of this deskpad GB will be only 2 weeks!

Vendors
USA - Space (https://spaceholdings.net/products/sol-desk-pad)
Canada - Ashkeebs
Europe - Salvun (https://salvun.com/products/sol-desk-pad-pre-order)
UK - Prototypist
OCE - Switchkeys
China - zFrontier
SEA - iLumkb
South Asia/Middle East - StacksKB (https://stackskb.com/store/sol-deskmat/)

In case you missed it, I've included photographs of prototype samples in the top post.

Unedited phone photograph of Sol Hydrogen - complementing an Adelie with SA Mizu. Sunlight via window.

Unedited phone photograph of Sol Umbra - complementing a 7V with GMK Bleached.

Sol Newton

Unedited phone photograph of Sol Hypatia - complementing a 7V with GMK Olivia.

Final colourways
Umbra (Dark)
Radiance (Light)
Hypatia (Rose Gold)
Copernicus (Gold)
Newton (Navy)
Hydrogen (Blue)
Celestial (Lavender)
Solarized (Turquoise)
Gravity (Gray)
//9 in total for obvious symbolic reasons.

Two rounds of sample prototypes were done.
Unfortunately, Aristarchus (Gold on Black) was scrapped after the prototype samples for it didn't meet expectations of quality. It was one of my favourite colour combinations, but it somehow didn't look right in the end despite 2 different manufacturer's attempts.
The Turquoise on Black colourway has also been renamed as Solarized (originally titled 'Aether') as it has nothing in common with the IFK keycap set of that name.

Damn, every color looks great, will be waiting for the GB.
:eek: These are truly beautiful. Interested; Patiently waiting for the GB
Thanks! Starting next week!

I need copernicus in my life.
Mmm I'm really really happy with that colourway.

Unedited phone photograph of Sol Copernicus - complementing a 7V with JTK Suited Assassin
« Last Edit: Mon, 15 November 2021, 11:54:32 by bobasweatandtears »

Offline Bobatype

Re: [IC] Sol Deskmat - GB LIVE! - Nov 15th-29th
« Reply #39 on: Mon, 15 November 2021, 12:40:40 »
GB is now live!
It will last for 2 weeks from 15th November to 27th November.

Vendors
US - Space
Canada - Ashkeebs
Europe - Salvun
UK - Proto[Typist]
Oceania  - Switchkeys
China/East Asia - zFrontier
SE Asia - iLumkb
South Asia/Middle East - StacksKB

Groupbuy topic thread is awaiting mod approval.

Here are some unedited phone photographs of the Gravity edition (Dark Grey) prototype paired with the GMK Modo on a 7V

« Last Edit: Fri, 19 November 2021, 05:29:04 by bobasweatandtears »

Offline patpro

« Reply #40 on: Wed, 24 November 2021, 08:42:38 »
Damn. I've ordered 2! Too many great colors.

Offline Bobatype

« Reply #41 on: Fri, 26 November 2021, 02:53:15 »
Damn. I've ordered 2! Too many great colors.
Thanks for joining :), yeah I find it hard to pick my favourite, but I do have a soft spot for Copernicus colourway. It just matches well.

Oziiiobsessions took some more better professional grade photographs of the prototypes:  https://imgur.com/a/GebSryp

i.e.

« Last Edit: Fri, 26 November 2021, 05:07:02 by bobasweatandtears »

Offline Bobatype

Re: [IC] Sol Deskmat - GB Ending soon - Nov 15th-29th
« Reply #42 on: Sun, 28 November 2021, 06:51:38 »
The groupbuy for this deskpad series is coming to an end for most regions in the next 24 hours.
Thank you to all who've joined and/or have left lovely messages of support/feedback.
Cheers to Oziiiobsessions for the prototype sample shots.

I'll be locking this IC topic thread (sorry it's a bit late), and shift any further conversations regarding progress of production of these deskmats on the GB thread.

EDIT: Some vendor stores such as Spaceholdings.net and Stackskb.com have left their store page listings open for a few more days until the 5th/6th December for any last minute orders.
« Last Edit: Wed, 01 December 2021, 17:12:26 by bobasweatandtears »