Author Topic: Spare switches  (Read 1350 times)

Offline PsychoGurl96

Spare switches
« on: Thu, 22 July 2021, 22:14:25 »
I just got a new keyboard, and it came with a few spare mechanical switches (the keyboard allows them to be hot-swapped and includes the tools required).

I was wondering; would it be possible to wire them together to a USB controller to make a button box? If so, could you give an example of how it should be wired?

The switches in question are Outemu Red switches (pictured below) from a Tecware Phantom RGB, and I already have a solder station and some experience with soldering basic circuits.

TIA

272811-0

Offline Leopard223

Re: Spare switches
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 23 July 2021, 09:13:36 »
I just got a new keyboard, and it came with a few spare mechanical switches (the keyboard allows them to be hot-swapped and includes the tools required).

I was wondering; would it be possible to wire them together to a USB controller to make a button box? If so, could you give an example of how it should be wired?

The switches in question are Outemu Red switches (pictured below) from a Tecware Phantom RGB, and I already have a solder station and some experience with soldering basic circuits.

TIA

(Attachment Link)
Yup it will definitly be possible, you just need a case to hold them together. 
You can get a Arduino Pro Micro or Teensy 2.0 and flash it with QMK, you can wire it in a matrix form (you'll need diodes) or you can wire them separately. 

It all depends on the size, this is a great guide for using the matrix method, it's for a full keyboard but the idea stays the same. 
Here's another guide, without diodes.