Author Topic: [IC] GMK Indigo // Vendors, Date, 1st Round Quote Changes  (Read 15497 times)

Offline sourmk

• Formerly Sourdrop
Re: [IC] GMK Indigo // Rev. 1 - Latin Base
« Reply #100 on: Tue, 14 September 2021, 18:42:32 »
Agree with the few others about the original kitting. It's what attracted me to the set, low contrast looked so nice. Happy to see folks like the updates though! GL!
GMK Wasabi | GMK Pono | GMK Dandy

Discord - https://discord.gg/j3PxfJ4rBC | Instagram - https://instagram.com/sourmk | Web - https://www.sourmk.com/

Offline XiXora

« Reply #101 on: Tue, 14 September 2021, 18:46:41 »
The R4 <>ろ key is not needed since there is already a R4 \_ろ key (as circled in the image that Fredington posted).

I can see red circles, the original R4 [><ろ] key is still missing which is what I was hinting atÖ

Offline sup3r170va

« Reply #102 on: Tue, 14 September 2021, 19:17:20 »
I understand the reasoning, I just hope the Latin buyers will come through.

But from looking at recent sales for Japanese inspired sets that had 2 base kits, afaik the base kit with Japanese subs always did better:
Hazakura, Origami, A, Harvest, Awaken and some were fairly close like Fuji and Shashin but the sub legends kits still did better.

Anyways it is 100% your decision and I will respect it, but I feel it is also something to consider since not everybody participates in the polls.

I concur with this observation.

Offline Fredington

• Instagram
« Reply #103 on: Tue, 14 September 2021, 19:47:41 »
Agree with the few others about the original kitting. It's what attracted me to the set, low contrast looked so nice. Happy to see folks like the updates though! GL!

We will submit both versions for costing and see how it shakes out. Given the size of the kit, I would guess that it might be around $85-90 for doubleshot and possibly approaching $95-100 for UV printed, which is fairly undesirable to me and I'm sure to many others.

Offline sup3r170va

« Reply #104 on: Wed, 15 September 2021, 09:50:59 »

We will submit both versions for costing and see how it shakes out. Given the size of the kit, I would guess that it might be around $85-90 for doubleshot and possibly approaching $95-100 for UV printed, which is fairly undesirable to me and I'm sure to many others.

To be honest, I think dual base kits may be the most cost effective. And if itís definitely a JIS kit, between the two prices I would say if someone wants in it wonít make a difference to the decision process.

Offline dallman5

« Reply #105 on: Wed, 15 September 2021, 11:26:35 »
+1 low contrast, UV printed hiragana (why are people complaining about being able to read it? its not like most of y'all are typing in hiragana anyway. plus legends are superfluous, especially secondary ones)

+1 og icons or text+icon

+1 dual base kits (feels like it could be a good compromise, esp when youre talking about paying close to the price of a base kit for just the hiragana kit)
« Last Edit: Wed, 15 September 2021, 12:17:14 by dallman5 »
LF: OTD 356 Mini, Dalco 959 Mini, OG Cherry APL (lasered), IMSTO BoB, Artisans

Current collection:
More
Norbatouch (Galaxy Blue) | Mira SE (Lunar Grey, WKL) | HHKB Pro 1 (KB300BN) | Noxary X60 (Grey, HHKB) | KBDFans 5 Degree (Silver) | AEK64 (Grey) | Norbaforce (Tactical Black, WKL)) | Realforce 86U (White) | TGR 910 RE (Polycarbonate) | LZ-SQ (Black) | LZ-CLS (Grey, WKL) | Duck Orion v1 (Silver, WK)) | Nissho KB106DE | HHKB Pro 1 (KB300B) | LZ CLS-S (Blue, Poker) | Realforce 87U 10th Anniversary) | Realforce 104UK | TGR Alice (Grey on Pink) | Singa (Blue, WKL)  | Quantrik QXP (Blue Grey, WKL) | LZ-GH v2 (Black, WK) | KMAC Happy (Red, Poker)) | IBM Model M SSK (APL) | TGR 910 SE (Pink on Blue) | GSKT-00 (Silver, Poker) | OTD Koala (Silver, WKL) | Realforce R2 PFU Edition (Ivory) | IBM 3279 Beamspring (APL) | TGR Tris (Blue) | LZ-GH v2 (Blue, WKL)) | TGR Jane v2 (Blue-grey, WKL) | LZ-MP (Shine Grey, WKL)  | TGR x Singa Unikorn (Purple) | Justsystems x Realforce 108UG) | IBM Model F Unsaver (APL) | TGR Jane V2 CE (WKL) | Realforce 87U (Blank Black) | Lin Montage (Light Blue, WKL) | GSKT-00 R2 (Grey, HHKB) | Leopold FC660C (Blank Black) | Duck Viper v3 (Grey on Black) | Rama Works M6-C RWxRW | LZ-GH v1 (Black, WKL) | Gok 7v (Grey) | biso x beaming Kei (SS, HHKB) | zacheadams x bisoromi little z | Matrix Noah (Silver/Grey, WKL) | Lin Whale (Pink, WKL) | TGR Alice (Polycarbonate) | Rama Kara (Noct) | Lin Whale75 (Burgundy, F13) | Realforce 89 (Ivory) | Hand Engineering Haus (Bluegrey) | Haytco CAKE60_R1 (Pantone 4167C)

Italics = Incoming, Black = Gone

Offline loopaddiction

« Reply #106 on: Wed, 15 September 2021, 16:15:38 »
I think the changes are great, this went from an EZ-skip to a buy for me. I also think the sublegends look much better now.

Preference also goes towards text+icon but not a dealbreaker for me.

Going in all kits.

Offline vladimir108

« Reply #107 on: Tue, 21 September 2021, 12:58:14 »
Hello, in thread "GMK Beta" was published update of basic Latin/Hiragana GMK keycaps from Zambumon:
https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=108290.msg3009840#msg3009840
Zambumon_GMK_Hiragana_Latin_RFC.pdf  https://geekhack.org/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=108290.0;attach=261369

Offline Fredington

• Instagram
« Reply #108 on: Wed, 22 September 2021, 09:34:56 »
Today, I'm pleased to reveal the first artisan I have planned for this project. The following Kei Cap will be made from aluminum that is anodized, engraved, and infilled.

Offline alevyish

Re: [IC] GMK Indigo // Kei Cap Metal Artisan
« Reply #109 on: Wed, 22 September 2021, 10:25:48 »
Today, I'm pleased to reveal the first artisan I have planned for this project. The following Kei Cap will be made from aluminum that is anodized, engraved, and infilled.
That is, as they say, POGGERS

Offline jagger27

• ne 1.5U supers???
« Reply #110 on: Wed, 22 September 2021, 11:09:54 »
GMK Jeans

nice kitting

Offline Fredington

• Instagram
« Reply #111 on: Mon, 27 September 2021, 10:27:41 »
Hi all,

This set is slated for a February 2022 GB window with the following vendors:

Worldwide: KBDFans
US: Space Cables
CA: Desk[H]ero
UK: Proto[Typist]
EU: Salvun
SEA: iLumkb
OC: Daily Clack

We actually got a rather quick turnaround from GMK for the 1st round of quotes. I submitted several options, including JIS base and extension kits in both doubleshot and UV printing versions. Unfortunately, the costs were completely unworkable for full JIS support in any form other than in a base kit, and even then, the pricing would be pretty challenging for anything less than 1000 MOQ. Now, I have no intentions of going back on the poll results, so the choice that makes the most sense economically is to drop JIS support and just have ANSI Hiragana. I've also gone back to UV-printed sublegends, since without all the extra JIS keys, I think it could be workable and I prefer the look.

Below are the kits that will be affected by this change. Before I submitted for 2nd round quotes, I wanted to get your feedback on this, so please let me know what you think:

Hiragana

Extension

« Last Edit: Mon, 27 September 2021, 20:46:44 by Fredington »

Offline XiXora

Re: [IC] GMK Indigo // Vendors, Date, 1st Round Quote Changes
« Reply #112 on: Mon, 27 September 2021, 16:51:51 »
I'm looking forward to February!

Offline sudou915

« Reply #113 on: Mon, 27 September 2021, 19:38:07 »
Would you consider going back to the UV print low contrast white sublegends?  I think it adds to the theme of the set seeing the sublegends slowly fade away.

Offline sup3r170va

« Reply #114 on: Mon, 27 September 2021, 19:59:04 »
Thanks for reverting to low contrast UV sub legends. JIS was a good to have but not critical, so Iím happy with the change.

For the 40s kit, I think an additional R2 1u mod coloured Esc key would be nice. Itís not critical, but there arenít that many R2 1u keys to use, and since you are going beyond a 3 key 40s kit that would be a nice addition. If you need to take out the key, one way is to drop the R4 1u Alt key.

Iím looking forward to Feb!

Offline hiddensong

• this too shall pass
« Reply #115 on: Mon, 27 September 2021, 21:46:05 »
Personally I wont pay for kits this small. Whereas F13 is a nice add, newer kits have stepped control and Alice for under $100. I'm sure a GMK set wont be under $100 and with one of the smallest kits out recently. I feel if we as a group stop buying small kits then they will get either more robust or move to a more reasonable price.  GMK's $130 GB price for a base kit is just far behind in modern times. I love the color and the whole Japan denim scene idea. The kits have got to get better for me to spend my money. Either way, sincerely good luck!

Offline Mr Chrome

« Reply #116 on: Mon, 27 September 2021, 21:59:13 »
The changes to this set look good! Iím glad kit pricing is a big consideration of yours, especially since so many good sets have run.

Latin looks clean. Way I see it, sets that do better with sublegend base kits do so because they have less emphasis on the novelties, where Latin-only makes the set look empty. With novelties that take up the entire top of the cap, I think subs get a little noisy. ANSI Hiragana kit looks like a great compromise. GL with this one!
ďThis plastic rectangle is alright. The plastic rectangles on top of it, though...Ē

Offline MOON

« Reply #117 on: Mon, 18 October 2021, 01:07:10 »
I am freaking PUMPED that you brought back the UV subs. It is what makes the set unique in the first place. If they fade a bit over time, they will just fit the faded denim theme that much more. Excited for Feb. :)