Author Topic: Halp me find something to solder here!  (Read 2272 times)

Offline Awful

• Don't Topre.
Halp me find something to solder here!
« on: Thu, 15 September 2022, 22:01:52 »
I ordered 1 5057B+ and it came in, and this broke… got a 2nd, and it came in already broken here. I’m confident enough in my soldering ability to know I could replace it and would rather replace it with something beefier even if I have to Dremel the case to be able to access it. I could just return it, but I’d rather just keep it.

Just to clarify I know the 2nd pictue’s switch wouldn’t work. I’m just giving an example of which I’d like to replace it with.

I’m just not sure what “specs” I need, but something like this would be an improvement to what is there even if I had to run some short jumpers to the post then mount the switch into the bottom of the case. I can also cut a hole in the case and route it etc. I’m very crafty haha

Edit: I don’t mind to run small jumper wires to a toggle either and leave this broken piece where it is etc. I just need something I know will work.

(Posted this to Reddit with no help, haven’t posted since 2014 holy **** boys!)

« Last Edit: Thu, 15 September 2022, 22:09:14 by Awful »
I hate everything.

Offline granola bar enthusiast

Re: Halp me find something to solder here!
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 16 September 2022, 15:31:55 »
you see that funny thing on the PCB? you solder it

Offline Awful

• Don't Topre.
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 17 September 2022, 06:56:56 »
Wut? I’m saying I need to desolder this and find something to replace it 😅
I hate everything.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 17 September 2022, 15:51:32 »
Looks to me like the switch is at least partially still intact, and just the selector nub broke off. Not sure if there's a cover missing.
The dent in top may be the spring or could be damage, but if everything functions as expected and you don't need to change any settings, this may work as it is. It may need some cleanup at the legs but I wouldn't be surprised if it works.

As for replacing it, this is possibly not an easy switch to replace due to the design, probably easy to damage. However it looks like an Alps Alpine or Wurth switch. Check your favorite electronic supplier for those two brands for an SMD 3 position slide switch... But, I would see if you can get away with leaving it as is first.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline Awful

• Don't Topre.
« Reply #4 on: Sat, 24 September 2022, 05:40:20 »
Looks to me like the switch is at least partially still intact, and just the selector nub broke off. Not sure if there's a cover missing.
The dent in top may be the spring or could be damage, but if everything functions as expected and you don't need to change any settings, this may work as it is. It may need some cleanup at the legs but I wouldn't be surprised if it works.

As for replacing it, this is possibly not an easy switch to replace due to the design, probably easy to damage. However it looks like an Alps Alpine or Wurth switch. Check your favorite electronic supplier for those two brands for an SMD 3 position slide switch... But, I would see if you can get away with leaving it as is first.

Yeah it’s a broken off nub. It definitely still works, and I can use a small instrument to slide it back and forth. I liked being able to use the slider so when I’m sitting on my couch I can use it with Bluetooth on my iPad and when I’m on PC I have to swap it back to the center position for wired mode. Thanks for the info I’ll start diggin’ online for a slide. I don’t have any electronic supply stores anywhere near me. I’ll probably just use it by sliding it with something sharp until it gives out then replace.
I hate everything.

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: Sat, 24 September 2022, 06:21:01 »
A switch is a switch, the "specs" you need to worry about are voltage but as it's small enough to snap that's assumedly low and any "beefier" switch will handle it.  You also need the number of positions and whether any of the positions are NC (not connected), I think I see vias attached to the middle and right pins on the near edge so looks like it's an On-On-On but you would need to check with a continuity tester.  Depending where you mount it you may be better off using a rocker switch so it doesn't have a bit sticking out to snap off again, or you could use a rotary switch to add an industrial looking knob...

As to wiring you would need to remove the old switch or the device will get confused when two options are selected at the same time, if you have any hesitation desoldering it (harder than soldering with lots of legs and probably lead free factory solder) it looks like the legs are raised up from the PCB before entering the plastic so you could carefully cut them off with a thin cutting disk in your dremel then clean up the pads.
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod