Author Topic: [Project] Adventures in CNC  (Read 6197 times)

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
[Project] Adventures in CNC
« on: Tue, 18 April 2023, 14:54:42 »
Wyfster and I recently purchased a CNC router for our "shop" (garage), and started assembling it last night. I wanted to document the process and what we will eventually be doing with it, so here is that thread!

The CNC router in question is the new Shapeoko 5 Pro 4x4 - a 3-axis machine. This won't be as well-suited to milling out complex keyboard cases as an industrial 5-axis machine, so we probably won't be going down that path any time soon. Simple "KMAC-like" cases and other accessories are definitely on the table though. :finger_guns:

First step was building up a work surface for the router. It's an absolute unit of a unit, with a footprint of 5'x5' (152cm for those of us on the right side of history (though this will be the last metric conversion here, sorry folks)).

Kreg table, with locking casters. Over-specced center supports for the plywood top, ripped down to height on the table saw.

3/4" plywood work surface, two pieces at 34"x68" for a total surface of 68"x68" (a couple inch overhang on each side).

The goods, spread out on the other work table.

This thing goes together quick - extrusions for the hybrid table installed.

And the MDF for hybrid table installed shortly after.

I can't not give a shoutout to our good good assistant, Luna ^-^

More to come! We've got a few more steps to finish putting everything together, then we will start making some test carvings and see how it works!

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
Re: [Project] Adventures in CNC
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 28 April 2023, 18:02:47 »
Bring back 2014 GH and make wooden wristrests like The_Beast  :-*. Also I want to pet Luna!

Excited to see what you make!

Offline azhdar

• Praise the AZERTY god
  • 65% Enlightened
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 29 April 2023, 04:57:24 »
Will be following this !
Azerty Propagandiste

Offline EdgeOfInfinity

« Reply #3 on: Thu, 15 June 2023, 13:15:08 »
that is one dope setup!