Author Topic: [GB] Alpine Winter (Shipping Replacements)  (Read 2272465 times)

Offline engicoder

Re: [GB] Alpine Winter (Shipping Now)
« Reply #850 on: Fri, 25 March 2016, 08:37:24 »
Thanks for the update.

Offline vivalarevolución

• Keep it real b/c any other way is too stressful
« Reply #851 on: Fri, 25 March 2016, 10:18:48 »
Regarding international shipping prices, not sure if retail or commercial applies here:  http://pe.usps.gov/text/dmm300/Notice123.htm#2521047
I think you would want Priority mail (not First Class) for tracking numbers, right?

(Three weeks later)

I suppose.  Although anything I have shipped First Class International has arrived to where it was supposed to go.  The other factor is what the buyer is willing to pay (unless you have accounted for those costs already).  Priority Mail can be twice as much as First Class for lower weight international packages.

Just because the weight may double if two sets are in the same box, it does not necessarily mean that international shipping will double.  For example, last time I checked the USPS website, for First Class International retail it was $22.50 for up to 2 lbs. to most countries, and $34.50 for 2-3 lbs. (these vary depending on country and size of package, so don't take them as gospel).  With the new USPS international pricing structure, anything over 3 lbs. is more logical to ship Priority.  Priority has a completely different pricing structure that increases at lower intervals as the weigh increases.

In the end, I guess it depends on the final shipping weight and what the buyer is willing to pay.  Fyi, I'm not trying to take over the shipping of this buy, just sharing my recent experiences with international shipping.

« Last Edit: Fri, 25 March 2016, 10:24:53 by vivalarevolución »
Wish I had some gif or quote for this space, but I got nothing

Offline luckynet

« Reply #852 on: Sat, 26 March 2016, 22:40:52 »
Hey all, just a quick non-update update. Nothing new to report. My last correspondence with SP was exactly one month ago (Feb. 24), which means based on a six-week lead time we've still got a couple of weeks to wait before the replacement keycaps arrive.

Just to be clear, everybody is getting a replacement set, no questions asked. Everyone will be re-invoiced for shipping costs. If you are an international buyer, since you have not received your caps yet I will present you with two options: 1) pay shipping for both sets (correct & defective), or just pay shipping for the corrected sets. The choice is totally up to you.

If I have any defective sets left over, I can try to piece together some complete sets from those, and sell them in the classifieds with 100% of the proceeds going back to Geekhack.

So let's all hang tight, and thanks as always for your patience!

well put me in for shipping for both sets. yay! 2 sets for the price of one!
Realforce 104U - HHKB Pro 2 dental band - HHKB Pro 2 Hasu's bluetooth controller - CM novatouch silent mod - Royal Kludge Topre clones
Filco Magestouch 2 Brown - Duckyshine 9008s Brown - QFR white - Plum MX 96 Blue - KBT Race Red - SS 7G Black - Poker blue - ducky shine 69
IBM Model M SSK
Matias quiet pro - V60 matias clicky

Offline exitfire401

• * Global Moderator
  • The Force is Re/\l
« Reply #853 on: Sat, 26 March 2016, 22:49:18 »
If a complete set can be put together from the rejects, put me down for one. This is one GB I totally regret not joining
Boards: Kingsaver Complicated Blue Alps |Sprit 60% Transparent MX Clears in Gateron housings with 62g gold Sprit springs lubed and RGB color shifting LEDs | Ducky Shine Zone MX Black with Blue LEDs | Realforce 10AE Variable Silenced

B/S/T thread: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=55351.0

Past projects: KBT Race 2 L.E.
Past Boards: Ducky Shine 2 | KBT Pure | LZ Aluminum Skin| HHKB | Realforce 23u |

Offline StormyMonday

« Reply #854 on: Sat, 26 March 2016, 22:56:16 »
 I REALLY should have purchased more than one set!  :(

What are the chances that this will run again, either with this, or a different colorway?

Offline njbair

• I love the Powerglove. It's so bad.
    • nickbair.net
« Reply #855 on: Sat, 26 March 2016, 23:32:27 »

What are the chances that this will run again, either with this, or a different colorway?
I don't intend to run another GB any time soon. But I hope to see more Alps sets come up.

Alpine Winter GB | My Personal TMK Firmware Repo
IBM Rubber Band "Floss" Mod | Click Modding Alps 101 | Flame-Polishing Cherry MX Stems
Review: hasu's USB to USB converter
My boards:
More
AEKII 60% | Alps64 HHKB | Ducky Shine 3, MX Blues | IBM Model M #1391401, Nov. 1990 | IBM SSK #1391472, Nov. 1987, screw modded, rubber-band modded | Noppoo EC108-Pro, 45g | Infinity 60% v2 Hacker, Matias Quiet Pros | Infinity 60% v2 Standard, MX Browns | Cherry G80-1800LPCEU-2, MX Blacks | Cherry G80-1813 (Dolch), MX Blues | Unicomp M-122, ANSI-modded | Unicomp M-122 (Unsaver mod in progress) | 2x Unitek K-258, White Alps | Apple boards (IIGS, AEKII) | Varmilo VA87MR, Gateron Blacks | Filco Zero TKL, Fukka White Alps | Planck, Gateron Browns | Monarch, click-modded Cream Alps

Offline StormyMonday

« Reply #856 on: Sun, 27 March 2016, 00:27:30 »

I don't intend to run another GB any time soon. But I hope to see more Alps sets come up.

I can't say that I blame you.

Perhaps it's just wishful thinking, but Alps-type switches do seem to be getting more love these days. With more love, comes more vendor support.

Offline infurnum

« Reply #857 on: Mon, 28 March 2016, 02:16:05 »
Any spare full sets I would love to get in on!

Offline sean

• Mechanical newb
« Reply #858 on: Mon, 28 March 2016, 13:36:04 »

Stay tuned! There's a chance there may be some extra sets depending on if some international orders only want one set; and of course it'll depend on what njbair wants to do.

Offline cheddarbek

« Reply #859 on: Mon, 28 March 2016, 22:35:26 »
I finally got a chance to get my board assembled this weekend. Blue tex case, blue painted HHKB layout plate, blue alps, and this lovely keycap set.

Timelapse of the build:

Thanks njbair! You rock!  :thumb:
The Alps cover 65% of Switzerland's surface area (41,285 km˛), making it one of the most alpine countries. Despite the fact that Switzerland covers only 14% of the Alps total area (192,753 km˛),[2][3] many alpine four-thousanders (48 of 82) are located in the Swiss Alps and practically all of the remaining few are within 20 km of the country's border.

Offline spanyam

• Enjoy the gift of life!
« Reply #860 on: Tue, 29 March 2016, 00:36:02 »

Stay tuned! There's a chance there may be some extra sets depending on if some international orders only want one set; and of course it'll depend on what njbair wants to do.

I would totally be up for buying one leftover set too. By the time I discovered ALPS switches, this GB was already closed =/
« Last Edit: Tue, 29 March 2016, 00:37:50 by spanyam »
SKCM Orange ALPS on Infinity 60% bent-metal case w/ hasu ALPS64 PCB and PBT blank DSA caps | KBP V60 w/ Matias Quiet Linears | IBM Model M | QFR w/ MX Blues

Offline StormyMonday

« Reply #861 on: Tue, 29 March 2016, 00:46:34 »
I finally got a chance to get my board assembled this weekend. Blue tex case, blue painted HHKB layout plate, blue alps, and this lovely keycap set.

Timelapse of the build:

That's the dog's bollocks, there!

Great job!

Offline nathanrosspowell

• * Destiny Supporter
    • nathanrosspowell.com
« Reply #862 on: Tue, 29 March 2016, 19:36:57 »

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Timelapse of the build:

Props for the video - VERY cool  :thumb:

Offline infurnum

« Reply #863 on: Thu, 31 March 2016, 04:43:46 »

Really hope so!

Offline luckynet

« Reply #864 on: Thu, 07 April 2016, 09:48:48 »
for those looking for extra sets or missed the gb, there'll most likely be other custom sets coming for alps,as this gb have paved the way for other custom sets to be made with the already calibrated tooling. all thats need is someone to manage the group buys LOL
Realforce 104U - HHKB Pro 2 dental band - HHKB Pro 2 Hasu's bluetooth controller - CM novatouch silent mod - Royal Kludge Topre clones
Filco Magestouch 2 Brown - Duckyshine 9008s Brown - QFR white - Plum MX 96 Blue - KBT Race Red - SS 7G Black - Poker blue - ducky shine 69
IBM Model M SSK

Offline vivalarevolución

« Reply #865 on: Thu, 07 April 2016, 15:16:23 »
for those looking for extra sets or missed the gb, there'll most likely be other custom sets coming for alps,as this gb have paved the way for other custom sets to be made with the already calibrated tooling. all thats need is someone to manage the group buys LOL

Yea, that's the hard part.

Offline njbair

• nickbair.net
« Reply #866 on: Thu, 07 April 2016, 20:42:06 »

I happen to know for a fact that there are one or more parties interested in leading another Alps GB.

Cryptic enough?

(Hint: it's not me)

IBM Rubber Band "Floss" Mod | Click Modding Alps 101 | Flame-Polishing Cherry MX Stems
My boards:
More
AEKII 60% | Alps64 HHKB | Ducky Shine 3, MX Blues | IBM Model M #1391401, Nov. 1990 | IBM SSK #1391472, Nov. 1987, screw modded, rubber-band modded | Noppoo EC108-Pro, 45g | Infinity 60% v2 Hacker, Matias Quiet Pros | Infinity 60% v2 Standard, MX Browns | Cherry G80-1800LPCEU-2, MX Blacks | Cherry G80-1813 (Dolch), MX Blues | Unicomp M-122, ANSI-modded | Unicomp M-122 (Unsaver mod in progress) | 2x Unitek K-258, White Alps | Apple boards (IIGS, AEKII) | Varmilo VA87MR, Gateron Blacks | Filco Zero TKL, Fukka White Alps | Planck, Gateron Browns | Monarch, click-modded Cream Alps

Offline beehatch

• baehatch
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #867 on: Thu, 07 April 2016, 20:50:57 »

I happen to know for a fact that there are one or more parties interested in leading another Alps GB.

Cryptic enough?

I was just wondering about this.

OuO yesh plox

Offline cheddarbek

« Reply #868 on: Thu, 07 April 2016, 20:53:11 »

Cryptic enough?

Nooooo! My poor wallet can't take much more.
The Alps cover 65% of Switzerland's surface area (41,285 km˛), making it one of the most alpine countries. Despite the fact that Switzerland covers only 14% of the Alps total area (192,753 km˛),[2][3] many alpine four-thousanders (48 of 82) are located in the Swiss Alps and practically all of the remaining few are within 20 km of the country's border.

Offline sean

• Mechanical newb
« Reply #869 on: Thu, 07 April 2016, 22:39:41 »
I hope it's a dark colorway. Definitely something Alps is lacking!

Offline vivalarevolución

« Reply #870 on: Thu, 07 April 2016, 22:49:33 »

Cryptic enough?

I would do it, but do not think it is the best use of my time at the moment.

Offline nathanrosspowell

• * Destiny Supporter
    • nathanrosspowell.com
« Reply #871 on: Thu, 07 April 2016, 23:22:39 »
BTW did all of the nubbinator already make it out to their new homes? Is there even a slim chance one could be heading up to Canada?!  :p

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #872 on: Thu, 07 April 2016, 23:40:18 »
BTW did all of the nubbinator already make it out to their new homes? Is there even a slim chance one could be heading up to Canada?!  :p

So few Dolly pics  :( :(

Offline kinglukas38

• Do you even tactile?
« Reply #873 on: Thu, 07 April 2016, 23:52:56 »

One can dream :D
I've never done it before, but I'm pretty sure I'm good at it

Offline njbair

• nickbair.net
« Reply #874 on: Fri, 08 April 2016, 00:03:40 »
BTW did all of the nubbinator already make it out to their new homes? Is there even a slim chance one could be heading up to Canada?!
As it happens, all 5 nubs raffle winners were US-based. Just how the odds fell.

Nubbinator did send me some extras because that's what a great guy he is. Not sure how I'm going to distribute those yet.
« Last Edit: Sat, 09 April 2016, 14:48:59 by njbair »

My boards:
More

Offline nathanrosspowell

• * Destiny Supporter
    • nathanrosspowell.com
« Reply #875 on: Fri, 08 April 2016, 00:12:32 »
BTW did all of the nubbinator already make it out to their new homes? Is there even a slim chance one could be heading up to Canada?!
As it happens, all 5 nubs raffle winners were US-based. Just how the odds fell.

Nubbinator did send me some extras because that's what a great guy he is. Not sure how I'm going to distribute those yet.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk
International only first 50 raffle ;)  cmon, plz!

Offline rand77

« Reply #876 on: Fri, 08 April 2016, 01:37:26 »
I for one will welcome another Alps group buy.    I have a Matias infinity sitting in my office waiting for a proper set of keycaps, I'm having a bit of trouble with sourcing an appropriate right shift. 

Might end up just putting the stock blanks on their but I hate DSA profile  :'(

Offline luckynet

« Reply #877 on: Fri, 08 April 2016, 21:00:39 »

Cryptic enough?

OuO yesh plox

omg OMG OMG. maybe they could do one on massdrop. so they could offer all sort of kits for it

also something like this would be super awesome, with RGBY or cmyk, either baige or something like the hyperfuse

http://imgur.com/a/FMtwY

also if anyone knows of a kingsaver for sale, please tell me, ive been looking for one, since like forever
« Last Edit: Fri, 08 April 2016, 21:02:31 by luckynet »
IBM Model M SSK

Offline kinglukas38

• Do you even tactile?
« Reply #878 on: Fri, 08 April 2016, 21:40:35 »

Cryptic enough?

OuO yesh plox

omg OMG OMG. maybe they could do one on massdrop. so they could offer all sort of kits for it

also something like this would be super awesome, with RGBY or cmyk, either baige or something like the hyperfuse

http://imgur.com/a/FMtwY

also if anyone knows of a kingsaver for sale, please tell me, ive been looking for one, since like forever

Massdrop would be last place I go to get a set like this
I've never done it before, but I'm pretty sure I'm good at it

Offline atectatifern

« Reply #879 on: Fri, 08 April 2016, 22:33:51 »
Concur. Lately, it seems MassDrop could fsck up a wet dream with delays, promises, then more delays. Best to run without them.

Offline monotagary

• Keycaps > Rent
« Reply #880 on: Mon, 11 April 2016, 21:30:04 »
Is there any good info someone might have on bending stab wires to work with this keycap set?

I just got my build done the other day and am absolutely loving the colorway and the feel of these caps on my blue alps, but I don't have any stabs! So the spacebar, left shift, and enter are all feeling quite off. I'd love if someone had some good details on getting the right wire and the proper measurements for a 2.25u wire and a 7u wire.

Offline BlueNalgene

« Reply #881 on: Mon, 11 April 2016, 21:32:24 »
Is there any good info someone might have on bending stab wires to work with this keycap set?

I just got my build done the other day and am absolutely loving the colorway and the feel of these caps on my blue alps, but I don't have any stabs! So the spacebar, left shift, and enter are all feeling quite off. I'd love if someone had some good details on getting the right wire and the proper measurements for a 2.25u wire and a 7u wire.

Previously in this thread: a tutorial.

Offline StormyMonday

« Reply #882 on: Mon, 11 April 2016, 21:41:12 »

I used K&S #502 music wire and it worked like a champ. The only challenge is keeping all of the bends in the same plane.

Offline monotagary

• Keycaps > Rent
« Reply #883 on: Mon, 11 April 2016, 21:52:40 »

I used K&S #502 music wire and it worked like a champ. The only challenge is keeping all of the bends in the same plane.

Thanks! I'll have to check that stuff out, and I will probably just use a bending jig and a lot of measuring to make sure everything goes smooth.

Offline njbair

• nickbair.net
« Reply #884 on: Mon, 11 April 2016, 21:53:44 »

Thanks! I'll have to check that stuff out, and I will probably just use a bending jig and a lot of measuring to make sure everything goes smooth.
Bending jig is definitely worth the investment. Even for one board's worth of bending.

My boards:
More

Offline StormyMonday

« Reply #885 on: Tue, 12 April 2016, 05:16:52 »

Bending jig is definitely worth the investment. Even for one board's worth of bending.

No question, it was the best $20 that I've spent in a long time.

I think I spent an hour measuring and bending my first three test springs. Once I figured it out and documented the dimensions, I bent all of the springs that I needed in 20 minutes. Just be careful about keeping all of the bends in the same plane. A small error on a long spacebar spring, for instance, gets magnified, due to the length. There is nothing difficult about it it just takes patience and attention to detail.

Offline Pikly

« Reply #886 on: Mon, 18 April 2016, 09:19:40 »

I think I spent an hour measuring and bending my first three test springs. Once I figured it out and documented the dimensions, I bent all of the springs that I needed in 20 minutes. Just be careful about keeping all of the bends in the same plane. A small error on a long spacebar spring, for instance, gets magnified, due to the length. There is nothing difficult about it it just takes patience and attention to detail.

What bending jig do you have? I'm needing to make some stabilizers, and I can't seem to find one that would work well for the small diameter wires.

Offline StormyMonday

« Reply #887 on: Mon, 18 April 2016, 09:27:03 »

What bending jig do you have? I'm needing to make some stabilizers, and I can't seem to find one that would work well for the small diameter wires.

It's a Du-Bro #480. They can be found in hobby shops as they are commonly used for bending control rods and landing gear for model airplanes. I got mine from that "Big River" store.

The music wire that you want is from K&S Precision Metals, #502.

Offline Pikly

« Reply #888 on: Mon, 18 April 2016, 10:31:39 »
It's a Du-Bro #480. They can be found in hobby shops as they are commonly used for bending control rods and landing gear for model airplanes. I got mine from that "Big River" store.

Thank you! I have come across that tool before in my searching, but I wasn't sure if it was strong enough to bend music wire. Good to know that it will work for this application.

Offline StormyMonday

« Reply #889 on: Mon, 18 April 2016, 10:56:53 »

Thank you! I have come across that tool before in my searching, but I wasn't sure if it was strong enough to bend music wire. Good to know that it will work for this application.

The tool is plastic, therefore if you are so inclined, I'm sure that you could break it if you were to put your mind to it. This small gauge K&S music wire bends really easily, though, so if you use the tool as intended you shouldn't have any issues, whatsoever.

Offline Tyr

« Reply #890 on: Thu, 21 April 2016, 04:34:38 »
Hey all, just a quick non-update update. Nothing new to report. My last correspondence with SP was exactly one month ago (Feb. 24), which means based on a six-week lead time we've still got a couple of weeks to wait before the replacement keycaps arrive.

So any update on the SP front ?

Offline njbair

• nickbair.net
« Reply #891 on: Thu, 21 April 2016, 07:12:33 »

Not yet. I'm going to email them this week and ask for an ETA. Thanks for your patience, everyone.

My boards:
More

Offline StormyMonday

« Reply #892 on: Thu, 21 April 2016, 07:16:30 »

Not yet. I'm going to email them this week and ask for an ETA. Thanks for your patience, everyone.

I'm sure that we all recognize that you have no control over SP's production schedule.

Thanks for sticking with this!

Offline Tyr

« Reply #893 on: Fri, 22 April 2016, 11:54:34 »
date on the SP front ?

Ok thanks  :thumb:. I don't mean to come off as impatient, it's just that as an "international" I have a beautiful board here but no keycaps to put on it  :'( not even crooked ones lol.

Offline vivalarevolución

« Reply #894 on: Fri, 22 April 2016, 22:34:16 »
Hey guys, I'm going to buy some of the K&S Precision Metal music wire #502 to make some Alps stabilizer wire.  Let me know if anyone else wants any.  I will have way too much for myself. 

http://www.hobbylinc.com/htm/k+s/k+s502.htm

Offline engicoder

« Reply #895 on: Fri, 22 April 2016, 23:30:03 »
Hey guys, I'm going to buy some of the K&S Precision Metal music wire #502 to make some Alps stabilizer wire.  Let me know if anyone else wants any.  I will have way too much for myself. 

If anyone is looking for shorter lengths or an alternate source for music wire, everyones favorites supply shop has it in 1 ft lengths

http://www.mcmaster.com/#8907k52/=123nnf2

Offline vivalarevolución

« Reply #896 on: Sat, 23 April 2016, 07:46:30 »

If anyone is looking for shorter lengths or an alternate source for music wire, everyones favorites supply shop has it in 1 ft lengths

THanks.  Yea, per foot cost is cheaper with McMaster.  Higher costs shipped, though, if you are just buying for yourself.

Offline BlueNalgene

« Reply #897 on: Sat, 23 April 2016, 12:11:43 »

THanks.  Yea, per foot cost is cheaper with McMaster.  Higher costs shipped, though, if you are just buying for yourself.

In my experience, McMaster shipping is superfast though.  I usually get it the next day. 

Offline vivalarevolución

« Reply #898 on: Sat, 23 April 2016, 13:44:42 »
Yea, I usually get it next day from McMaster-Carr because I am close to their Chicago warehouse.  I ended up making a purchase from McMaster-Carr.  I don't need 100 ft of this stuff by any means, so if anyone is interested, please let me know through PM and I can send some to you.

Offline swimmingbird

• * Elevated Elder
  • keyset hoarder
« Reply #899 on: Mon, 02 May 2016, 23:00:53 »
Sooo any news on the SP front?