Author Topic: [GB] Alpine Winter (Shipping Replacements)  (Read 2272090 times)

Offline Tyr

Re: [GB] Alpine Winter (Shipping Replacements)
« Reply #1050 on: Sun, 09 October 2016, 18:08:06 »
No invoice here, but I'm still not complaining. **** happens.

I'll just patiently wait until more details unfold. I don't think nj would bail on us.

My main annoyance is that some people have had keycaps in hand for 8 months now, US people started getting their replacement sets 4 months ago, and some of us are still haven't seen one keycap. Feels like the forum regulars got theirs and international casual users can go suck a lemon. Frankly I could have bought one of several sets I saw on /r/mechmarket by now.

Offline nathanrosspowell

• * Destiny Supporter
    • nathanrosspowell.com
« Reply #1051 on: Sun, 09 October 2016, 22:18:56 »
No invoice here, but I'm still not complaining. **** happens.

I'll just patiently wait until more details unfold. I don't think nj would bail on us.

My main annoyance is that some people have had keycaps in hand for 8 months now, US people started getting their replacement sets 4 months ago, and some of us are still haven't seen one keycap. Feels like the forum regulars got theirs and international casual users can go suck a lemon. Frankly I could have bought one of several sets I saw on /r/mechmarket by now.

Ditto.

When the GB leader hasn't posted anywhere on the forum for a month, it's a bit of a slap in the face after a year long GB with no keys to INTL buyers who supported from the start   :'(

I was in the first 50. Not seen a key yet.

Offline E3E

« Reply #1052 on: Sun, 09 October 2016, 22:24:28 »
Good point. I apologize for my ignorance regarding that issue concerning the international buyers still waiting on receiving anything at all. I entirely forgot that njbair waited on shipping those until the replacements arrived.

Yeah, I don't know what's going on here. NJ should at least post SOME kind of update, but I know how it can be when the guilt train hits you hard and you feel like you can't show your face until you have something to speak of (and I know it could be any number of reasons, not just guilt).

Still, we don't need another SethK or Ivan incident here.

I have received my original orders, but I didn't receive the replacement sets as I put in a large blank order so that puts me at the end of the priority list. Anyone in the US still not have replacement sets?

Offline skullydazed

• * Vendor
  • Had to turn PM's off. Email info@clueboard.co!
    • Clueboard
« Reply #1053 on: Sun, 09 October 2016, 22:35:50 »
I emailed njbair last week to see if I could offer any help with this stuff. I built a lot of machinery with Nantucket Selectric that could help him. I don't want to say anything on his behalf, but we had a couple back and forths and it sounds like he's still plugging away. He said his biggest headache is pulling shipping quotes for everything.

I'm still waiting on my own order too, and since mine was larger I got lumped in with the international orders. I'm confident we'll get everything sooner or later.

Offline scubaste

« Reply #1054 on: Wed, 19 October 2016, 13:33:20 »
Good point. I apologize for my ignorance regarding that issue concerning the international buyers still waiting on receiving anything at all. I entirely forgot that njbair waited on shipping those until the replacements arrived.

Yeah, I don't know what's going on here. NJ should at least post SOME kind of update, but I know how it can be when the guilt train hits you hard and you feel like you can't show your face until you have something to speak of (and I know it could be any number of reasons, not just guilt).

Still, we don't need another SethK or Ivan incident here.

I have received my original orders, but I didn't receive the replacement sets as I put in a large blank order so that puts me at the end of the priority list. Anyone in the US still not have replacement sets?

I'm in the US and still don't have a replacement set. I will keep waiting as patiently as possible, but would love to see some kind of communication at this point.

Offline SpikeBolt

• √(4) != -2
« Reply #1055 on: Fri, 21 October 2016, 08:35:29 »
I'm still waiting for an invoice... I have a keyboard fully ready for a year now with a wooden case and Matias Reds that I'm dying to try. No Alps keys, though...
« Last Edit: Fri, 21 October 2016, 08:40:24 by SpikeBolt »

Offline nathanrosspowell

• * Destiny Supporter
    • nathanrosspowell.com
« Reply #1056 on: Fri, 21 October 2016, 09:05:57 »
I'm still waiting for an invoice... I have a keyboard fully ready for a year now with a wooden case and Matias Reds that I'm dying to try. No Alps keys, though...

Same. Feel extremely foolish that I took apart my MX Infinity to build up my parts from the Crossing The Alps GB... Still yet to enjoy alps  :-[

Offline Den441

« Reply #1057 on: Sun, 23 October 2016, 14:17:06 »
Still waiting as well. I originally bought a bunch of blanks to put on some alps numpads to try to get more people into ALPS. The numpads don't look great on their own, but with these caps and a couple adjustments, they look pretty nice. The clicky cream ALPS on them are great as well. Plus they output the numpad codes and not the number row like some mechanical numpads. Whenever I get my order here, i'm planning on selling them for around $40 if anyone is interested.
Custom Wrist Rests, Artisan Keycaps, and more - http://battlestation.io

Sales Thread - https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=74835.0

Offline MudoLabudovo

« Reply #1058 on: Sun, 23 October 2016, 14:51:49 »
I hope I can put this juicy set on my orange alps build .. in not so distant future. The customisation is amazing!

Offline tofgerl

« Reply #1059 on: Mon, 24 October 2016, 07:16:50 »
So here's what's pissing me off: This thread starting out by njbair offering to do us a huge favour. Then, it turns out that GMK ****ed up, and njbair's huge favor is now SUPERHUGE.

And you're complaining... I know no one is blaming njbair as yet, but I've seen threads go off track REAL FAST before! And it's SO TOXIC!

Also, Massdrop has a much better reputation now than it did a year ago... BECAUSE they charge for doing what njbair is probably tearing his hair out trying to for free right now.

So remember this: njbair is trying really hard to do a job he didn't really even volunteer for! Yes, it takes longer. Suck it up, brother mechheads - suck it up and be glad :)

And next time, suggest to the runner that you'd rather pay a little more to do the run through Massdrop than having it all fall on one pair of shoulders!

Offline nathanrosspowell

• * Destiny Supporter
    • nathanrosspowell.com
« Reply #1060 on: Mon, 24 October 2016, 07:36:51 »
So here's what's pissing me off: This thread starting out by njbair offering to do us a huge favour. Then, it turns out that GMK ****ed up, and njbair's huge favor is now SUPERHUGE.

And you're complaining... I know no one is blaming njbair as yet, but I've seen threads go off track REAL FAST before! And it's SO TOXIC!

Also, Massdrop has a much better reputation now than it did a year ago... BECAUSE they charge for doing what njbair is probably tearing his hair out trying to for free right now.

So remember this: njbair is trying really hard to do a job he didn't really even volunteer for! Yes, it takes longer. Suck it up, brother mechheads - suck it up and be glad :)

And next time, suggest to the runner that you'd rather pay a little more to do the run through Massdrop than having it all fall on one pair of shoulders!

I don't mind the wait. It's the 47 days without an update, on a product that we paid for over a year ago, that grinds my gears.

If njbair is 'trying really hard' then surely logging into GH shouldn't be so hard ;)

Offline Tyr

« Reply #1061 on: Mon, 24 October 2016, 15:34:23 »
I don't mind the wait. It's the 47 days without an update, on a product that we paid for over a year ago, that grinds my gears.

Bingo. I would settle for a "X number of packages to go" once a week, or even two. And if you can't meet goals you've set yourself, then at least tell people why.

Offline luckynet

« Reply #1062 on: Thu, 27 October 2016, 08:08:52 »
has anyone pm njbair personally? what is the current update? if he feels tired from shorting and shipping and want to take a break i don't really mind, but i need some sort of update so that i don't feel cheated.
Realforce 104U - HHKB Pro 2 dental band - HHKB Pro 2 Hasu's bluetooth controller - CM novatouch silent mod - Royal Kludge Topre clones
Filco Magestouch 2 Brown - Duckyshine 9008s Brown - QFR white - Plum MX 96 Blue - KBT Race Red - SS 7G Black - Poker blue - ducky shine 69
IBM Model M SSK
Matias quiet pro - V60 matias clicky

Offline swimmingbird

• * Elevated Elder
  • keyset hoarder
« Reply #1063 on: Fri, 28 October 2016, 03:17:09 »
has anyone pm njbair personally? what is the current update? if he feels tired from shorting and shipping and want to take a break i don't really mind, but i need some sort of update so that i don't feel cheated.

Skullydazed reached out to him ~2 weeks ago

Offline SpikeBolt

• √(4) != -2
« Reply #1064 on: Fri, 28 October 2016, 07:32:03 »

Toxicity begins when a random guy shows up tell people their frustration is meaningless and they should just STFU. People are asking for an update, a feedback and that's totally justified. My PM is unanswered since July so of course I'm worried. But I guess it's my bad because I didn't tell him to use Massdrop instead /s

**** happens, we all understood the delays and the problems that occurred. I was okay with it because he was giving feedback and updates and I was expecting to get my stuff soon TM. At this point I have very little hope of getting the keycaps and that saddens me. I feel like I have every right to express it.
« Last Edit: Fri, 28 October 2016, 07:33:43 by SpikeBolt »

Offline tofgerl

« Reply #1065 on: Fri, 28 October 2016, 07:32:42 »

Toxicity begins when a random guy shows up tell people their frustration is meaningless and they should just STFU. People are asking for an update, a feedback and that's totally justified. My PM is unanswered since July so of course I'm worried. But I guess it's my bad because I didn't tell him to use Massdrop instead /s

**** happens, we all understood the delays and the problems that occurred. I was okay with it because he was giving feedback and updates and I was expecting to get my stuff soon TM. At this point I have very little hope of getting the keycaps and that saddens me. I feel like I have the right to express it.
MOD edit:  Attacks on users will not be tolerated

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: Mon, 07 November 2016, 00:10:43 by ghostjuggernaut »

Offline kinglukas38

• Do you even tactile?
« Reply #1066 on: Fri, 28 October 2016, 08:09:20 »

**** happens, we all understood the delays and the problems that occurred. I was okay with it because he was giving feedback and updates and I was expecting to get my stuff soon TM. At this point I have very little hope of getting the keycaps and that saddens me. I feel like I have the right to express it.

do we not have a right to complain when we haven't received a product we paid for over a year ago? If ignorance is bliss for you then keep going with it but no need to bad mouth someone else for valid concerns
« Last Edit: Mon, 07 November 2016, 00:11:07 by ghostjuggernaut »
I've never done it before, but I'm pretty sure I'm good at it

Offline Tyr

« Reply #1067 on: Fri, 28 October 2016, 08:09:58 »

That's uncalled for. Let's at least keep it civil.
« Last Edit: Mon, 07 November 2016, 00:11:16 by ghostjuggernaut »

Offline tofgerl

« Reply #1068 on: Fri, 28 October 2016, 08:10:58 »

do we not have a right to complain when we haven't received a product we paid for over a year ago?
You don't have a right to speak to me that way. Period. And if that's the way you complain, then no you do not have that right.

« Last Edit: Mon, 07 November 2016, 00:11:27 by ghostjuggernaut »

Offline kinglukas38

• Do you even tactile?
« Reply #1069 on: Fri, 28 October 2016, 08:13:00 »

Go **** yourself

do we not have a right to complain when we haven't received a product we paid for over a year ago?
You don't have a right to speak to me that way. Period. And if that's the way you complain, then no you do not have that right.

and what gives you the right to tell another user to f himself
« Last Edit: Fri, 28 October 2016, 08:15:09 by kinglukas38 »

Offline joey

« Reply #1070 on: Fri, 28 October 2016, 08:14:18 »
I think you read into SpikeBolt's post with a much different tone, than the rest of us.

Offline nathanrosspowell

• * Destiny Supporter
    • nathanrosspowell.com
« Reply #1071 on: Fri, 28 October 2016, 16:02:04 »

Totally uncalled for. But, hilariously, proving SpikeBolt's theory to be correct.  :))
« Last Edit: Mon, 07 November 2016, 00:11:43 by ghostjuggernaut »

Offline SpikeBolt

• √(4) != -2
« Reply #1072 on: Fri, 28 October 2016, 18:58:28 »
The irony is truly strong on this one :blank:

Offline E3E

« Reply #1073 on: Fri, 28 October 2016, 23:35:48 »
Sans the slight drama up there, njbair really should publicly comment to help reassure us here. I'm still waiting for my replacement sets.

Offline swimmingbird

• * Elevated Elder
  • keyset hoarder
« Reply #1074 on: Sat, 29 October 2016, 02:45:31 »
Sans the slight drama up there, njbair really should publicly comment to help reassure us here. I'm still waiting for my replacement sets.

us international folk haven't received anything yet

Offline E3E

« Reply #1075 on: Sat, 29 October 2016, 02:47:44 »
Yeah, that's even worse. C'mon nj. No need to avoid things. If you've got some kind of life issues going on or are feeling down in the dumps and need some motivation, let us know, dude! Showing us you haven't just forgotten about our orders and actually care will do heaps.

This is reminding me a little of how SethK ditched his LED order. :-\

Offline swimmingbird

• * Elevated Elder
  • keyset hoarder
« Reply #1076 on: Sat, 29 October 2016, 04:13:43 »
Yeah, that's even worse. C'mon nj. No need to avoid things. If you've got some kind of life issues going on or are feeling down in the dumps and need some motivation, let us know, dude! Showing us you haven't just forgotten about our orders and actually care will do heaps.

This is reminding me a little of how SethK ditched his LED order. :-\

Despite several bad experiences in this community like Ivan's PBT and Miami Nights buy I don't have doubts about nj's commitment to this buy

Just a little visibility would be good

Offline luckynet

« Reply #1077 on: Sun, 30 October 2016, 11:25:05 »
and the wait continues... kemon njbair, give us an update. if you have problems the community is here to help. :)
Realforce 104U - HHKB Pro 2 dental band - HHKB Pro 2 Hasu's bluetooth controller - CM novatouch silent mod - Royal Kludge Topre clones
Filco Magestouch 2 Brown - Duckyshine 9008s Brown - QFR white - Plum MX 96 Blue - KBT Race Red - SS 7G Black - Poker blue - ducky shine 69
IBM Model M SSK

Offline menuhin

« Reply #1078 on: Thu, 03 November 2016, 10:13:40 »
Dang, how did I missed this GB??
One of the greatest savors for ALPS builds.
Wishlist: 1) nice thick Alps caps; 2) Cherry profile POM;
More
Wishful-list: 1) We order from keyboard-layout-editor.com; 2) usable Trackpoint module for all keyboards
IBM M13 black
NeXT non-ADB keyboard (AAE)
HHKB Pro 2 HasuBT
[~90WPM, in love with Emacs, and Lisp]

Offline Tyr

« Reply #1079 on: Sun, 13 November 2016, 16:16:33 »
I would like to get my caps before California secedes and plunges the US into a second civil war :confused: ... Please ?  :p

Offline infodroid

« Reply #1080 on: Sun, 20 November 2016, 10:47:31 »
There are many participants here that have never even received the mistaken originals.

The last update in this thread from njbair was early September. He has not logged in to Geekhack since early October.

The last time anybody heard from him was when skullydazed reached out to him personally in mid-October.

Since then, nobody has heard from him and he does not even have the courtesy to provide an update in the thread about what is going on.

I can understand having to work long hours or going through personal difficulties, and not having any time left over to do anything else.

But let's put this in perspective: There is no excuse for not providing any update after more than two months.

I am getting mad at this point  >:D >:D >:D and I feel we have crossed the line of unacceptability.

In my view, he is throwing away his reputation and whatever good will he has gathered in the community.

Offline U47

« Reply #1081 on: Sun, 20 November 2016, 11:40:53 »
I am getting mad at this point  >:D >:D >:D and I feel we have crossed the line of unacceptability.
Everyone here needs to come to terms that it's highly unlikely any further orders will be fulfilled. It's an extra kick in the balls to us international buyers who are left with zilch for our efforts (in my case $146). That's the risk you take with these group buys. Caveat emptor.

Offline E3E

« Reply #1082 on: Sun, 20 November 2016, 12:57:22 »
I mean, what is he going to do with all those caps if the orders go unfulfilled?

Offline kinglukas38

• Do you even tactile?
« Reply #1083 on: Sun, 20 November 2016, 13:27:10 »
I've written this gb off at this point :/

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek
« Reply #1084 on: Sun, 20 November 2016, 13:29:57 »

Didn't know GMK was making Alps sets now, that's sick! :))

Offline nathanrosspowell

• * Destiny Supporter
    • nathanrosspowell.com
« Reply #1085 on: Sun, 20 November 2016, 15:58:04 »
I'm guessing njbair isn't going to show his face on GH again after this.

Does anyone have a personal relationship with him? skullydazed maybe? I think our only hope is someone convincing him to ship the items in bulk to another member.

I'm willing to pay for a chunk of the bulk shipping and pay the shipping fees again to the person who'd dispatch them. Hell, I'd even offer to do the re-distribution myself if we could get an idea of the numbers which are still left to fulfill.

Offline Tyr

« Reply #1086 on: Sun, 20 November 2016, 16:32:47 »

Why ? There's nothing broken that can't be mended (yet). And the dude is running his account under basically his real name, he isn't very hard to track down. Maybe he just needs a kick in the pants to stop procrastinating.

Offline infodroid

« Reply #1087 on: Sun, 20 November 2016, 16:36:50 »
I'm willing to pay for a chunk of the bulk shipping and pay the shipping fees again to the person who'd dispatch them. Hell, I'd even offer to do the re-distribution myself if we could get an idea of the numbers which are still left to fulfill.

If njbair needs some help getting through the international orders, then bulk shipping may help.

If there are any European buyers who are interested, I can pay EU customs and import taxes on their behalf, and then ship the items to them from the UK.

Offline nathanrosspowell

• * Destiny Supporter
    • nathanrosspowell.com
« Reply #1088 on: Sun, 20 November 2016, 16:38:20 »

Why ? There's nothing broken that can't be mended (yet). And the dude is running his account under basically his real name, he isn't very hard to track down. Maybe he just needs a kick in the pants to stop procrastinating.

Well, I take that statement back if he actually has a health issue, family crisis, etc. But from Skullys report it just sounds like lack of enthusiasm.

Offline U47

« Reply #1089 on: Sun, 20 November 2016, 23:30:47 »

I'd be more than willing to finish the rest too. If it's that simple, I'd be willing to have him ship whatever is left as is to my condo in Phoenix at my expense and I'd retrieve it and deal with completing the rest of the orders. And I'd have no problem paying a bit more for someone else willing to do the same.

I mean, so it got away from you. That's fine. Let someone else finish it up then. There are lots here willing to help. Stiffing us is far less acceptable than admitting defeat and passing the torch.

Offline skullydazed

• * Vendor
  • Had to turn PM's off. Email info@clueboard.co!
    • Clueboard
« Reply #1090 on: Mon, 21 November 2016, 11:13:27 »
Does anyone have a personal relationship with him? skullydazed maybe? I think our only hope is someone convincing him to ship the items in bulk to another member.

I reached out again over the weekend. I don't really have more of a personal connection than anyone else here, I just have a largish order I'm also waiting on. My last email exchange with him was in September and at that time I offered to help him in any way I can. That offer still stands if he needs help to finish up.

Offline nathanrosspowell

• * Destiny Supporter
    • nathanrosspowell.com
« Reply #1091 on: Mon, 21 November 2016, 12:02:44 »

I reached out again over the weekend. I don't really have more of a personal connection than anyone else here, I just have a largish order I'm also waiting on. My last email exchange with him was in September and at that time I offered to help him in any way I can. That offer still stands if he needs help to finish up.

Understood. Thanks for reaching out again, we all appreciate it dude.

Offline swimmingbird

• * Elevated Elder
  • keyset hoarder
« Reply #1092 on: Mon, 21 November 2016, 18:29:36 »

Offline stoic-lemon

« Reply #1093 on: Mon, 21 November 2016, 23:10:09 »
Thanks for trying to get in touch and for offering to help, skullydazed. I'm losing hope of good news ever coming from this buy, but I have been in more than a few that came back from the dead, so I haven't given up hope yet.

Offline luckynet

« Reply #1094 on: Sat, 26 November 2016, 08:03:50 »
so, does this mean we need to report njbair for something?? to the fp of r/mk ?? also, anyone checked if these sets have surfaced on ebay or r/mechmarket?
IBM Model M SSK

Offline nathanrosspowell

• * Destiny Supporter
    • nathanrosspowell.com
« Reply #1095 on: Sun, 27 November 2016, 12:27:21 »
Maybe njbair has been inspired by Sean Murray?

Offline Tyr

« Reply #1096 on: Sun, 27 November 2016, 13:34:58 »
So I messaged @njbair on Twitter. We'll see if anything comes out of that, it's not particularly active either.

Offline derpingit

« Reply #1097 on: Wed, 30 November 2016, 19:11:09 »
if he had the replacement keys already, how does one just disappear? i mean.. is not like there is some other market where he could sell those and profit. something happened to the guy. i hope he's ok. sadly, we lost our cash it appears.

Offline Tyr

« Reply #1098 on: Thu, 01 December 2016, 05:42:23 »
if he had the replacement keys already, how does one just disappear? i mean.. is not like there is some other market where he could sell those and profit. something happened to the guy. i hope he's ok. sadly, we lost our cash it appears.

The guy posted on Twitter a week ago, so he's fine. Maybe things got away from him, or he's procrastinating,... All that is fine, those are things that happen. What I can't stand is not even taking the 2 minutes it would take to own up to it and respond to an email, or even a tweet. I mean this guy is a web developer, are we supposed to believe he didn't see the tweets or mails ?

Edit: OK I've decided to be that guy and spammed 3 email addresses of his I could find. I feel like a bozo, but there it is. If there's no response to any of those I'm going to assume I just got scammed (again!).
« Last Edit: Thu, 01 December 2016, 06:48:40 by Tyr »

Offline nathanrosspowell

• * Destiny Supporter
    • nathanrosspowell.com
« Reply #1099 on: Thu, 01 December 2016, 10:24:54 »

The guy posted on Twitter a week ago, so he's fine. Maybe things got away from him, or he's procrastinating,... All that is fine, those are things that happen. What I can't stand is not even taking the 2 minutes it would take to own up to it and respond to an email, or even a tweet. I mean this guy is a web developer, are we supposed to believe he didn't see the tweets or mails ?

Edit: OK I've decided to be that guy and spammed 3 email addresses of his I could find. I feel like a bozo, but there it is. If there's no response to any of those I'm going to assume I just got scammed (again!).

Thanks for doing that.

We've seen every form of scam and failed GB here. The community has rallied together to get stuff fixed almost every time. The only time we can't make progress is when the organiser says nothing.

He tweeted and re-tweeted things in November, yet he didn't even log into geekhack. I will not be giving him any benefit of the doubt - he's causing this situation.

Here's a throwback post from the Badwrench modifier GB from when he actually cared about our community  :p

Why get in on this group buy? One word: freedom.

You're here reading this because you have an Alps board of some kind, or at the very least, some interest in Alps/Matias switches. You probably also have one or more Cherry MX boards as well. Those Cherry boards probably all have different keycaps. But what kind of keycaps do you have on your Alps board? My money says they're stock. Because a good set of aftermarket Alps caps is hard to come by.

Those aftermarket caps on your Cherry board represent one kind of freedom. Freedom to choose. Freedom to express yourself with your color choices, unique layouts and combinations. But ironically, that desire for freedom of expression has enslaved you to the Cherry MX world. Meanwhile, your Alps boards remain faithful and reliable, like a Model T Ford. And just like a Model T Ford, you can have any color as long as it's black.

NOT ANYMORE.

This group buy also comes in one color: BX Teal Blue. But behind that BX blue stands a legion of color choices waiting to heed the call--the call of Alps group buy success. Will you step up and do your part? Will you rise before the world of Cherry MX oppression, proudly fly the Alps flag and join us? Will you risk your wallet to open the doors to a wide world of switch and keycap options for generations to come?

If we succeed, we do so together. And we may emerge with thin wallets, but we emerge with SP DCS Alps modifier keycap sets in our hands. And then, they may take our stock keycaps away, but they will never take...

(Attachment Link)

OUR FREEDOM!

Well, njbair, I'm looking down at my Alps build (from BlueNalgene's awesome GB) and I have NO keycaps. Thanks a lot.

The irony of the call for "Alps group buy success"....  :rolleyes: