Author Topic: [GB] Custom CNC Aluminum Cases for Cooler Master TKL boards (SHIPPED)  (Read 139959 times)

Offline norbauer

• Plz email shop@norbauer.com; I miss PMs sometimes
    • Ryan Norbauer's personal site
Re: [GB] Custom CNC Aluminum Cases for Cooler Master TKL boards (MANUFACTURING)
« Reply #200 on: Sun, 08 January 2017, 20:56:25 »
Really clean design. Wish I could see it myself in the next meetup in the Bay Area.

I'd be happy to bring one along. Are there regular meet-ups? If so, know where I can find info on them? I moved here recently from Boston and so am not quite hooked into the keyboard scene here, but surely there must be one. ;)
« Last Edit: Mon, 09 January 2017, 10:12:54 by norbauer »

Offline Slash Emperor

• Lust for life lost, keyboards acquired.
« Reply #201 on: Sun, 08 January 2017, 21:13:02 »
Really clean design. Wish I could see it myself in the next meetup in the Bay Area.

I'd be happy to bring one along. Are there regular meet-ups? If so, know where I can find info on them? I moved here recently from Boston and so am not quiet hooked into the keyboard scene here, but surely there must be one. ;)

Damn, I could've met you at a Boston meetup, but not anymore.

Offline eksuen

• Ambassador of explosions.
« Reply #202 on: Mon, 09 January 2017, 03:41:15 »

I'd be happy to bring one along. Are there regular meet-ups? If so, know where I can find info on them? I moved here recently from Boston and so am not quiet hooked into the keyboard scene here, but surely there must be one. ;)

There's one at WASD Keyboards in Fremont on the 21st, but I don't think these cases will be on hand by then.

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=86371.0

Offline norbauer

« Reply #203 on: Mon, 09 January 2017, 13:03:10 »

There's one at WASD Keyboards in Fremont on the 21st, but I don't think these cases will be on hand by then.

Oh cool. I just ordered something from WASD yesterday and noticed that they're in Fremont! There is a chance the keyboard cases might just have arrived that same week. If so, I'll certainly bring a few along, including yours, eksuen. :)

Offline JDragon

« Reply #204 on: Mon, 09 January 2017, 14:15:37 »

Oh cool. I just ordered something from WASD yesterday and noticed that they're in Fremont! There is a chance the keyboard cases might just have arrived that same week. If so, I'll certainly bring a few along, including yours, eksuen. :)

Could you bring mine as well if it makes it in on time? :D

Offline norbauer

« Reply #205 on: Mon, 09 January 2017, 15:25:41 »

Of course!

Offline JDragon

« Reply #206 on: Mon, 09 January 2017, 15:27:09 »

Of course!

Thanks, much appreciated. Crossing my fingers that the rest of the manufacturing process goes quickly.  :thumb:

Offline eksuen

« Reply #207 on: Mon, 09 January 2017, 16:00:26 »

Ooh that'd be sweet. Much excite!

Offline poolside

« Reply #208 on: Mon, 09 January 2017, 16:26:07 »
Good news: the CNC machining is now all complete and the finishes are currently being applied (including bead blasting before pigments are added), with anodizing being the one that takes longest. The factory will get the anodized cases back on 13 January, and then the cases will be quality checked and packed (adding a few more days) and then sent to me in the USA for individual shipment to group buy participants. So I think we're roughly on track for everything. It'll be a bit of a scramble for me to get everything out the door by the end of January, but I think I can do it, or thereabouts. (Hopefully there will be no hold-ups at customs coming into the US.) Exciting stuff!

Show Image

Thanks for this update. It is always interesting to see the raw material being transformed.

Only a few more days. I am hoping for an extra picture of that wall of anodized cases before they start off their (hopefully not so) long journey across the oceans.

Offline madhias

• BS TORPE
    • Madhias' Flickr
« Reply #209 on: Tue, 17 January 2017, 04:13:51 »
Being late, but registered for another round, I wanted to ask if this case is compatible with a Rapid-Si keyboard?
... ...

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #210 on: Tue, 17 January 2017, 10:12:00 »
Being late, but registered for another round, I wanted to ask if this case is compatible with a Rapid-Si keyboard?

It's not.  Only compatible with Novatouch and Masterkeys S

Offline wodan

« Reply #211 on: Tue, 17 January 2017, 10:18:12 »

It's not.  Only compatible with Novatouch and Masterkeys S

... a group buy for custom CNC aluminum cases for CoolerMaster Novatouch, Rapid-i, and Masterkeys TKL boards (and only those).

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #212 on: Tue, 17 January 2017, 10:20:27 »
Ooops, I am indeed wrong :(

If you didn't read it in this forum it's also on the product page: https://shop.norbauer.com/products/custom-cnc-aluminum-case-for-coolermaster-novatouch-rapid-i-and-masterkeys-keyboards

These cases are custom designed to fit only the following Cooler Master "tenkeyless" models:

Novatouch TKL
Rapid-i ("small" model)
MasterKeys Pro S ("small"/"80%" layout)

Offline madhias

• BS TORPE
    • Madhias' Flickr
« Reply #213 on: Tue, 17 January 2017, 10:40:03 »
Hmm, I read that, but was not sure. Rapid-Si means just 'stealth', so I thought it is an Rapid-i but with other caps. Confused.
... ...

Offline norbauer

« Reply #214 on: Tue, 17 January 2017, 12:29:25 »
Hmm, I read that, but was not sure. Rapid-Si means just 'stealth', so I thought it is an Rapid-i but with other caps. Confused.

Based on photos of the keyboard, I think it would probably fit, as all the CM cases I've seen that have that chassis design also use the same plate, but I'd have to test it to be sure. The list that reececonrad posted above are the only ones where I'm confident that the plate fits inside the case because I actually tested those.

Offline JDragon

« Reply #215 on: Tue, 17 January 2017, 12:39:22 »
How's production looking? Any hope at getting it at the NorCal meetup this weekend?

Offline madhias

• BS TORPE
    • Madhias' Flickr
« Reply #216 on: Tue, 17 January 2017, 12:47:33 »

Based on photos of the keyboard, I think it would probably fit, as all the CM cases I've seen that have that chassis design also use the same plate, but I'd have to test it to be sure. The list that reececonrad posted above are the only ones where I'm confident that the plate fits inside the case because I actually tested those.

Indeed, the case looks like the same, and I remember when I had a Novatouch it was similar if not the same with other logos.

When I measure the plate or other parts could you say that it could fit? If absolutely not I have one item less on my most wanted list :)
... ...

Offline norbauer

« Reply #217 on: Tue, 17 January 2017, 13:02:29 »
How's production looking? Any hope at getting it at the NorCal meetup this weekend?

I'm told that the cases are being quality checked right now and should ship before the Chinese New Year (i.e., this week). However, unless they ship tomorrow and have zero holdup at customs, they probably will just narrowly miss the meet-up, unfortunately. =\ Most probably, they'll arrive to me early or middle of next week.

Offline norbauer

« Reply #218 on: Tue, 17 January 2017, 13:03:44 »
When I measure the plate or other parts could you say that it could fit?

Could you maybe post a pic of the underside of the plate and the USB cable that lives on the interior of the case? That should probably be enough for me to be able to say.

Offline eksuen

« Reply #219 on: Tue, 17 January 2017, 13:44:38 »

I'm told that the cases are being quality checked right now and should ship before the Chinese New Year (i.e., this week). However, unless they ship tomorrow and have zero holdup at customs, they probably will just narrowly miss the meet-up, unfortunately. =\ Most probably, they'll arrive to me early or middle of next week.

Oh well. There will be more meetups to be had so there's always next time.

Offline JDragon

« Reply #220 on: Tue, 17 January 2017, 13:49:18 »

Ah darn, good to hear we're clearing CNY though. Will just have to be patient a little while longer. :)

Offline MMKB

« Reply #221 on: Tue, 17 January 2017, 20:21:35 »

Would love to see even just the prototype in the meet-up. ;D

Offline norbauer

« Reply #222 on: Wed, 18 January 2017, 13:32:04 »
Would love to see even just the prototype in the meet-up. ;D

Absolutely. I'll bring everything I have. :)

Offline ramnes

• T fou, mec?
« Reply #223 on: Thu, 19 January 2017, 14:13:16 »
Each day without you posting, Ryan, is a very tough day.
23h18 - photekq: hhkb with silenced realforce sliders and lubricated well is
23h18 - photekq: the best switch i've used

Offline norbauer

« Reply #224 on: Thu, 19 January 2017, 14:30:24 »
Each day without you posting, Ryan, is a very tough day.

Ha. Well, I'm happy to report that the cases are done as of yesterday and are being sent to the freight forwarder for shipment to me via courier, most likely departing today or tomorrow.

The phone-camera photos the factory sent aren't exactly fine photography, but as a teaser here is what a bunch of riser feet looks like. :)

I'll take better photos of the huge pile of cases (a concept that for some reason I find satisfying) when it arrives to me.

Offline LechnerDE

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #225 on: Thu, 19 January 2017, 14:31:47 »
 :eek: :eek: :eek:

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #226 on: Thu, 19 January 2017, 16:05:24 »
OOhhh, dat BLUE one!  Someone has a sexy case on the way.  And maybe brown above it?

Mine is white and I don't see any, but I suppose white is white, right?

Thanks for the update.

So we're still looking at maybe getting these around the first week of Feb (around my birthday)?  You remembered to mark my birthday on your calendar, right?

P.S.  Don't forget to include that liberated Masterkeys I bought.  Even though I would totally pretend to type on it for hours even if it was just a beautiful empty case :)
« Last Edit: Thu, 19 January 2017, 16:10:41 by reececonrad »

Offline K

• stop trying to reset my password... use a VPN
« Reply #227 on: Thu, 19 January 2017, 18:50:03 »
Oh there are gonna be 50 of these with the Novatouch on Originative for sale and the pricing is pretty decent at $375 so if any of you guys missed out I would spam check their website tomorrow https://www.reddit.com/r/MechanicalKeyboards/comments/5p0dff/novatouch_tkl_cnc_alu_case/. Wondering how they are gonna manage to modify and ship all the keyboards out by next week if these cases haven't even arrived at Norbauer's.  :confused:

Offline norbauer

« Reply #228 on: Thu, 19 January 2017, 21:18:49 »
Oh there are gonna be 50 of these with the Novatouch on Originative for sale and the pricing is pretty decent at $375 so if any of you guys missed out I would spam check their website tomorrow https://www.reddit.com/r/MechanicalKeyboards/comments/5p0dff/novatouch_tkl_cnc_alu_case/. Wondering how they are gonna manage to modify and ship all the keyboards out by next week if these cases haven't even arrived at Norbauer's.  :confused:

I'm not sure what their plans are exactly, but it's actually possible in terms of timeline because I had Originative's order of cases sent directly to them in LA, bypassing me entirely. ;D

As I've discussed with many of you via PM and email, for those who missed out and don't necessarily want to buy a Novatouch with it as part of the Originative deal, I'll very likely be doing a second run if everything comes off well when this one is done. My idea is I can maybe do a new Realforce case design and batch the two together to help us get a good price again even if the r2 numbers aren't as big as the r1, which they almost certainly wouldn't be. But, again, my focus for the moment is just getting these to me and then out the door again.

But, anyway, yeah, if you missed r1 and want a ready-built case with keyboard—and fast—Originative is definitely the place to go. :)

Offline consolelog

« Reply #229 on: Thu, 19 January 2017, 21:22:33 »
So excited! What did the color breakdown end up being?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline norbauer

« Reply #230 on: Thu, 19 January 2017, 21:31:42 »

I'm not in front of my spreadsheet at the moment, but I know warm gray was the big winner, followed closely by black, with white a very distant third. :) A surprisingly large number of people also opted for custom colors: blue, green, and silver/clear. For my part, I decided to splurge to and got one in faux copper finish; I'm very eager to show how that turned out—will post pics. :cool:

Offline davisthegreat

• 3DKeebs
« Reply #231 on: Thu, 19 January 2017, 21:35:18 »
Please put me on the list for R2.. i have a Zealio filled QFR-i and a metal case would make it perfect. Maybe even Endgame... maybe

Offline norbauer

« Reply #232 on: Thu, 19 January 2017, 22:47:04 »
Please put me on the list for R2.. i have a Zealio filled QFR-i and a metal case would make it perfect. Maybe even Endgame... maybe

The list can be joined here:
http://norbauer.us7.list-manage.com/subscribe?u=03bd2d8a9d2480d7fda4743d1&id=c4bbb079d4

:D

Offline clickstops

« Reply #233 on: Fri, 20 January 2017, 00:39:39 »
For my part, I decided to splurge to and got one in faux copper finish; I'm very eager to show how that turned out—will post pics. :cool:

That sounds excellent. Can't wait to see all of them.

Offline K

• stop trying to reset my password... use a VPN
« Reply #234 on: Fri, 20 January 2017, 05:12:15 »

I'm not in front of my spreadsheet at the moment, but I know warm gray was the big winner, followed closely by black, with white a very distant third. :) A surprisingly large number of people also opted for custom colors: blue, green, and silver/clear. For my part, I decided to splurge to and got one in faux copper finish; I'm very eager to show how that turned out—will post pics. :cool:

However that would be very skewed because of Originative's orders right as they did 50 in warm grey which was pretty much half of the entire groupbuy if I remember right? I reckon for R2 it would be a good idea to get the most popular custom colour (silver probably) and replace maybe white or black as a standard option as if lots of people are willing to pay the premium for the custom colour in R1 it makes sense that it would be more popular as a standard cheaper colour and encourage some people who skipped the R1 because of the lack of the color they wanted. Might help a round 2 reach MOQ as i'd imagine with Novatouches being out of production that much of the demand has died down.
« Last Edit: Fri, 20 January 2017, 05:21:03 by K »

Offline Phenix

« Reply #235 on: Fri, 20 January 2017, 07:58:40 »
the masterkeys is still sold..
Eager on seeing green (please let it be an dark green) and Blue case (Mopar blue could look nice)
Winter is coming.

Offline Slash Emperor

• Lust for life lost, keyboards acquired.
« Reply #236 on: Fri, 20 January 2017, 09:02:57 »
Are the Enigma Black orders still on track to be fulfilled a month after the other orders?

Offline norbauer

« Reply #237 on: Fri, 20 January 2017, 11:11:58 »
However that would be very skewed because of Originative's orders right as they did 50 in warm grey which was pretty much half of the entire groupbuy if I remember right? I reckon for R2 it would be a good idea to get the most popular custom colour (silver probably) and replace maybe white or black as a standard option as if lots of people are willing to pay the premium for the custom colour in R1 it makes sense that it would be more popular as a standard cheaper colour and encourage some people who skipped the R1 because of the lack of the color they wanted. Might help a round 2 reach MOQ as i'd imagine with Novatouches being out of production that much of the demand has died down.

Valid points, but still too much for me to think about right now. :rolleyes: For whatever it's worth, however, Originative got its own custom color of gray. It is less warm and darker than the warm gray, sort of like a dark gunmetal. I imagine they'll have photos up soon once the cases arrive.

Offline norbauer

« Reply #238 on: Fri, 20 January 2017, 11:14:45 »
Are the Enigma Black orders still on track to be fulfilled a month after the other orders?

Since I haven't quite yet started the hard part on those, on track would perhaps not be the most accurate word to use, but that rough timeline is still my goal. Basically, for the wrinkle coat customs I just ordered raw unfinished cases from the manufacturer. Once those arrive to me here I'm going to drive them around to various powder coating places in the Bay Area until I find one willing to do them with a wrinkle black finish. So at this point I can't really promise a specific lead time, but hopefully it won't take more than a month or so. It depends on 1) how long it takes me to get quotes and 2) what the lead times are at the various powder shops.

Offline poolside

« Reply #239 on: Fri, 20 January 2017, 13:51:35 »

Their listing says "DIY" and the newsletter mentioned the inclusion of the original NT packaging. Seems like they will save some time not doing the case swap.

Offline sherryton

• * Vendor
  • Kībōdo
    • Originative
« Reply #240 on: Fri, 20 January 2017, 13:57:03 »

Valid points, but still too much for me to think about right now. :rolleyes: For whatever it's worth, however, Originative got its own custom color of gray. It is less warm and darker than the warm gray, sort of like a dark gunmetal. I imagine they'll have photos up soon once the cases arrive.

This was my mistake. People were asking me if we had warm grey coming in. We have a dark grey coming in, and it will not be the same one offered through this group buy.

Offline testplsignore

• I am one with the Cup Rubber...
« Reply #241 on: Sun, 22 January 2017, 03:15:44 »
Hey Norbauer, have you considered doing an FC660C case for R2?

Unlike the HHKB it's plate mounted like the NT and other Realforce boards so it should be the same difficulty in terms of manufacturing.

An FC980C case would be awesome too but as it was just released there might not be enough in the wild yet.

Realforce 10AE 45g Type-S & 55g    HHKB BT & Type-S    Realforce RGB Hype-S    FC980C    FC660C    Filco BT TKL

Offline superpiya

« Reply #242 on: Sun, 22 January 2017, 04:24:58 »
Any picture for the blue case ?
Joined the mailing list btw, count me in for R2  :thumb:

Offline poolside

« Reply #243 on: Sun, 22 January 2017, 13:35:21 »
Hey Norbauer, have you considered doing an FC660C case for R2?

Unlike the HHKB it's plate mounted like the NT and other Realforce boards so it should be the same difficulty in terms of manufacturing.

I second that, a 660C case would be great. There might currently be more 87U Realforces than 660C boards out there, though.

Offline JDragon

« Reply #244 on: Mon, 23 January 2017, 12:36:37 »
Got to see the midnight blue case at the NorCal meetup and it looks excellent. The case feels sturdy and the anodization is really smooth. Excited to hopefully get mine soon!

Offline eksuen

« Reply #245 on: Mon, 23 January 2017, 12:43:29 »
The blue case is really nice in person. I couldn't quite capture the beauty of the case in a photo, but here's a pic for what it's worth. This not 100% color accurate.

EDIT: added a second photo.

« Last Edit: Mon, 23 January 2017, 12:48:50 by eksuen »

Offline dead_pixel_design

• IIIV is not a Roman Numeral. Positive Vibes.
« Reply #246 on: Mon, 23 January 2017, 12:57:23 »
Show Image

What is that open switch board with the blue arrow keys? That looks sexy

Offline eksuen

« Reply #247 on: Mon, 23 January 2017, 12:59:15 »
Show Image

What is that open switch board with the blue arrow keys? That looks sexy

That's a WhiteFox with DSA Granite. https://input.club/whitefox/ https://www.massdrop.com/buy/the-whitefox-keyboard

Offline norbauer

« Reply #248 on: Mon, 23 January 2017, 13:04:10 »
Thanks, guys. The meet-up was a lot of fun, and it was nice getting so much positive feedback form folks both about the case and how I've been running the buy. Going just based on conversations in the thread and orders on Shopify, the process can be a bit impersonal and detached. As a result, I never know quite what people think of what I've been doing, so it's nice to get some in-person feedback, especially since it was positive. :)

The latest news is that the cases have cleared customs in China and were last seen in Hong Kong, presumably ready for the trans-Atlantic flight. I expect to get them in the next couple of days—barring any hold-up on the US customs side. There is a literal mountain of packing materials in my guest room waiting for them.  :rolleyes:

Offline Phenix

« Reply #249 on: Mon, 23 January 2017, 13:41:27 »
quiet a few could be interested in an SSK case, considering the recent M/F-SSK-GB
Winter is coming.