Author Topic: [IC] Hubble Mira Custom TKL (GB is 3... 2... 1... launched!)  (Read 578036 times)

Offline nsmechkb

Re: [IC] Hubble Mira Custom TKL (Searching for New Resources)
« Reply #2300 on: Fri, 13 January 2017, 11:07:19 »
I also wonder about the pink. Is it a hot pink like kin's boards or a more muted pink like the Jane (and by the looks of it the Mech27)?

Interested to learn this, too.  I'm picturing a color similar to that of the TGR Jane in pink.  At first I wondered how well pink fits the space theme, but after playing with the colors in some prototype pictures, I think pink would look great.
« Last Edit: Fri, 13 January 2017, 11:09:24 by nsmechkb »

Offline roostrc0gburn

• * Esteemed Elder
  • its just plastic
« Reply #2301 on: Fri, 13 January 2017, 11:23:38 »
i have seen very few shops that can get a decent pink, and even fewer who can do so consistently. imo, it is better to get powder-coat / cerakote in your favorite pink hue than to try to anodize

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #2302 on: Fri, 13 January 2017, 11:26:49 »
I've asked, and looks like the plan is to do a light pink sort of like 456 GT.  From the Matrix-lab forum, photo of 456 GT:  https://static.matrix-lab.cn/attachment/forum/201611/23/000845u792z349zpdy8yoy.jpg
« Last Edit: Fri, 13 January 2017, 11:32:45 by Photoelectric »
- Keyboards: LZ-GH (Jailhouse Blues)M65-a, MIRA SE, E8-V1, MOON TKL, CA66
- Keyboard Case Painting Tips -
- Join Mechanical Keyboards photography group on Flickr -

Offline nsmechkb

« Reply #2303 on: Fri, 13 January 2017, 11:29:23 »
i have seen very few shops that can get a decent pink, and even fewer who can do so consistently. imo, it is better to get powder-coat / cerakote in your favorite pink hue than to try to anodize

Damn... I hadn't thought of that. But that would be amazing!

I've asked, and looks like the plan is to do a light pink sort of like 456 GT.  From the Matrix-lab forum:  https://static.matrix-lab.cn/attachment/forum/201611/23/000845u792z349zpdy8yoy.jpg

Thanks for this!

Offline tuba section

« Reply #2304 on: Fri, 13 January 2017, 11:52:17 »
Awesome, thanks for the info. Definitely into the lighter pink. Was so close to having my Jane reanodized

Offline ninjadoc

« Reply #2305 on: Fri, 13 January 2017, 12:08:54 »
any updated word on pricing for this? Saw in the beginning it said from $350-400, just wondering if that was still the zone or if its raised/lowered?

Hubble's pricing of $350 to $400 was made without him ever investigating the cost of production which is not a good way of doing things. If my calculations are correct - and in all honesty my meds from all three surgeries are messing with my head - The cost should range between $400 - $425 depending on which weight and plate you get because the stainless steel is costing me more due to machining costs.

Offline breusch91

• * Maker
« Reply #2306 on: Sat, 14 January 2017, 00:46:27 »
I've asked, and looks like the plan is to do a light pink sort of like 456 GT.  From the Matrix-lab forum, photo of 456 GT:  https://static.matrix-lab.cn/attachment/forum/201611/23/000845u792z349zpdy8yoy.jpg

Is there any chance of getting an orange color, or at the very least a really dark grey? I really like this look of this board and have really wanted to pinck up a tkl but none of these colors would work well with my sa carbon set. And I know it's not all about me, but even if you think orange would be more unpopular then pink im sure youd get a good turnout for the dark grey.

edit: just saw ninja doc stating grey and black would be colors a page or so back, so now i look dumb haha. would still love an orange but at least i have a fall back now. Is there any way to get that first page op updated with the more current info?
« Last Edit: Sat, 14 January 2017, 00:49:31 by breusch91 »

Offline Mr_BeastQuake

• Reddit
Re: Mira update
« Reply #2307 on: Sun, 15 January 2017, 12:26:22 »

Colors offered: silver, black, grey, blue/cyan, pink

http://imgur.com/a/pOa6F

On the imgur link, after the cyan colors, there's a pic of a darker blue on top of black. Will that darker blue be offered? I am trying to make this an R2 Penumbra board for myself but the colors offered on the post is a bit ambiguous (blue/cyan).

Offline E3E

« Reply #2308 on: Sun, 15 January 2017, 15:25:25 »

Colors offered: silver, black, grey, blue/cyan, pink

http://imgur.com/a/pOa6F

On the imgur link, after the cyan colors, there's a pic of a darker blue on top of black. Will that darker blue be offered? I am trying to make this an R2 Penumbra board for myself but the colors offered on the post is a bit ambiguous (blue/cyan).

I'd think so. Originally Cyan seemed to be offered, but it seems like Ninjadoc got down the most popular colors. He said blue, grey, silver, pink, and black. I'd bet the blue shown there is probably what will be offered. We'll have to wait to hear from ND.

Offline Gajible

« Reply #2309 on: Sun, 15 January 2017, 15:31:07 »
I am way too hyped for this board!

I didn't win a Fjell :( , so its full steam ahead for this one!

Offline alienman82

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #2310 on: Sun, 15 January 2017, 15:36:58 »

T_T

Offline rabbitfire

« Reply #2311 on: Mon, 16 January 2017, 08:36:43 »

haha...same here! Actually I want both Fjell and Mira. Will join Fjell again.

Offline Gajible

« Reply #2312 on: Mon, 16 January 2017, 09:19:40 »

haha...same here! Actually I want both Fjell and Mira. Will join Fjell again.

I'll join Fjell again too, this is just my way of mentally justifying this to myself.. Who am I trying to kid?

Offline flopix

• Laur
« Reply #2313 on: Tue, 17 January 2017, 01:18:33 »
I wonder... would it be possible to modify the OP (or the second post) with the current status/pics/details (like a changelog)? it'd be good to have a fixed reference for the summary imho.

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #2314 on: Tue, 17 January 2017, 01:19:50 »
I've offered assistance with adding up-to-date information to the OP.  Hopefully soon, when Ninjadoc is ready.

Offline flopix

• Laur
« Reply #2315 on: Tue, 17 January 2017, 01:39:34 »
I've offered assistance with adding up-to-date information to the OP.  Hopefully soon, when Ninjadoc is ready.
Excellent! Thank you

Offline ninjadoc

Brief update
« Reply #2316 on: Tue, 17 January 2017, 07:20:16 »
I will try to list the prices of the options today so everyone is forewarned. If I recall correctly without the sheet in hand they range from $375 - $420 at the maximum cost.

There should be a brief color poll running through Saturday or Sunday.

If possible I will start the GB on Monday or Tuesday depending on my assurance of starting it by the factory and by the colors. The GB will be open to all and I will probably leave it open for two weeks.

The first 57 will be numbered, the others will not. Production may have to go in waves, beginning with 57 then 60, then 60 but that is only a possibility. Items will be shipped directly from China to avoid duty fees,two shipping, and me going crazier. The estimate is around $40 - $50 but could be a little less or a little more along the Duck or TGR prices.

QA - the boxes is expected to prevent damage in shipment and my understanding is boards with major damage will be replaced.

The Chinese New Year Begins on the 20th so I'm verifying available colors prior to then and prior to the poll. The Chinese New Year is quite an event and there is a lot of information about it here - http://www.chinahighlights.com/travelguide/festivals/chinese-new-year-celebration.htm
Our celebration pales in comparison.

I will limit the colors to 5, a cyan is available and a pink is available. The poll will be about the blue/cyan and the shade of pink. If you want your opinion to count, please vote. Black, silver, and grey are set.

Thank you for your patience, unless something really goes bad this GB should occur and start within the next 7 days. Thank all of you that have helped in this project.

Future - keypad, design has been discuses but not started. 75% - design also has been discussed. 65% will be a shrinkage of the 75% and probably a few modifications and the HHKB option will be available. A Full size is possible but a poll would be done prior to that beginning. IC would be done on all of the above.

Offline breusch91

• * Maker
« Reply #2317 on: Tue, 17 January 2017, 10:36:19 »
Can't wait, really hope I make it in this early. My first two builds are going to be the ramabae65 and this :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Mr_BeastQuake

• Reddit
« Reply #2318 on: Tue, 17 January 2017, 12:36:53 »
If the pole is about whether to have that dark blue or a cyan case... vote blue for Penumbra! Cyan is being overworked :(

Offline poolside

Re: Brief update
« Reply #2319 on: Tue, 17 January 2017, 16:57:25 »
Future - keypad, design has been discuses but not started. 75% - design also has been discussed. 65% will be a shrinkage of the 75% and probably a few modifications and the HHKB option will be available. A Full size is possible but a poll would be done prior to that beginning. IC would be done on all of the above.

A whole line of Mira keyboards, exciting! :)
And this makes picking a color for this one easier, as one could still get different colors later for the other boards. If those are to come alive, of course.

Offline FrostyToast

• Litshoard
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #2320 on: Tue, 17 January 2017, 17:25:04 »
I would personally love the navy/dark blue that the Janes used. Really a much more unique color than cyan now that many of the new boards have it as an option.
This is the best picture I can find:
Quote from: elton5354
I don't need anymore keyboards

Offline ninjadoc

« Reply #2321 on: Tue, 17 January 2017, 21:07:39 »

That sounds great. Have you ever had cerakote applied to a keyboard?
The shop doing cerakote uses a sandblasting gun and goes back and forth over the aluminum. It looks great until you apply cerakote. Then you have lines, uneven color, and any area that they stopped briefly with the gun ( second or two) appears as a glaring patch. How do I know? I tool one of my keyboards to the best shop in this area that does custom cerakoting. He did it five times, and refused to have me bring a different board in to try.

Powder coating is another issue. For mass quantity of boards you have to use a big shop. They throw things around like a the recycle guys. They hang them up on wires and if you don't have a screw hole on it you have a blank, unpainted area. Yes, I explored that option too. You can use a private small custom shop - my keyboard was there for three months and was never done. It is difficult to get those options done but powder coating can be done in small quantity. Talk to Meiosis or JD Carpe if you one a one off powder coated.

Offline ninjadoc

Pricing
« Reply #2322 on: Tue, 17 January 2017, 21:14:34 »
Sorry about the delay - I had a family function and was delayed.
These are the approximate prices, they might be lower but they certainly shouldn't be higher.

Mira SE
Stainless weight and aluminum plate             $ 400
Brass weight and aluminum plate                  $ 385
Steel weight and steel plate                          $ 420
Brass weight and steel plate                          $ 400

That is as close to the stated goal of $400 as I can get.

Thanks again for your patience with me.

Offline ninjadoc

Color differences due to lighting
« Reply #2323 on: Tue, 17 January 2017, 21:23:47 »
I suspect we've all taken pictures of our keyboards, looked at the result, and asked ourselves " What the *&%# happened?"
Well, probably like most of you I keep saying I'm going to read this thread https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=43865.0
and never do. That is on keycap and keyboard photography. I mention this to demonstrate two pictures of the same keyboard color so you keep that in mind when you review the upcoming color poll.

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #2324 on: Tue, 17 January 2017, 21:25:07 »
OP updated to include the latest information with links to relevant source posts.  If I've missed anything, or if you have a suggestion to simplify some part to make it more legible, please let me know!!
« Last Edit: Tue, 17 January 2017, 21:29:06 by Photoelectric »

Offline ninjadoc

« Reply #2325 on: Tue, 17 January 2017, 21:25:36 »

A whole line of Mira keyboards, exciting! :)
And this makes picking a color for this one easier, as one could still get different colors later for the other boards. If those are to come alive, of course.

They will only be IC if I have the design and a price - just so everyone knows that. I don't want to flail around again.

Offline nmur

• ಠ_ಠ
« Reply #2326 on: Tue, 17 January 2017, 21:42:12 »
sorry if it's been stated but i don't see the answer in the new OP, but is this winkeyless only?

i see the prototype is winkeyless, but i also see some renders with the winkey as well (although they may not be relevant anymore)

Offline Mr_BeastQuake

• Reddit
Re: Pricing
« Reply #2327 on: Tue, 17 January 2017, 21:43:41 »
Sorry about the delay - I had a family function and was delayed.
These are the approximate prices, they might be lower but they certainly shouldn't be higher.

Mira SE
Stainless weight and aluminum plate             $ 400
Brass weight and aluminum plate                  $ 385
Steel weight and steel plate                          $ 420
Brass weight and steel plate                          $ 400

That is as close to the stated goal of $400 as I can get.

Thanks again for your patience with me.

Refreshing to have my ideal selection be the lowest price. Will there be an extra plate and PCB option? Bring on the GB!

Offline roostrc0gburn

• * Esteemed Elder
  • its just plastic
« Reply #2328 on: Tue, 17 January 2017, 22:26:36 »

The shop doing cerakote uses a sandblasting gun and goes back and forth over the aluminum. It looks great until you apply cerakote. Then you have lines, uneven color, and any area that they stopped briefly with the gun ( second or two) appears as a glaring patch. How do I know? I tool one of my keyboards to the best shop in this area that does custom cerakoting. He did it five times, and refused to have me bring a different board in to try.

Powder coating is another issue. For mass quantity of boards you have to use a big shop. They throw things around like a the recycle guys. They hang them up on wires and if you don't have a screw hole on it you have a blank, unpainted area. Yes, I explored that option too. You can use a private small custom shop - my keyboard was there for three months and was never done. It is difficult to get those options done but powder coating can be done in small quantity. Talk to Meiosis or JD Carpe if you one a one off powder coated.

very valid points, ninja. the intent of my comments were to steer those looking for a particular color to get it done themselves at a shop they trust. eg. that should not be on your shoulders along with all you are doing.

thanks again for the tremendous effort!

Offline ninjadoc

Questions answered
« Reply #2329 on: Tue, 17 January 2017, 22:31:41 »
Winkey and winkeyless will be offered

Extra PCB's, plates, and weights will be offered.

The top and bottom can be ordered in different colors - for example silver top, black base.

In the future I hope to offer a GB for plates of different materials and maybe with a different PCB - not now though.

Offline ninjadoc

« Reply #2330 on: Tue, 17 January 2017, 22:36:30 »

very valid points, ninja. the intent of my comments were to steer those looking for a particular color to get it done themselves at a shop they trust. eg. that should not be on your shoulders along with all you are doing.

My point was to choose carefully and for some reason cerakote did not like my keyboard and he wouldn't try another so I have to say try cerakote at your own risk - it can look really cool on other items but I don't know if it will work on a keyboard.

Offline alienman82

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #2331 on: Tue, 17 January 2017, 22:40:41 »

My point was to choose carefully and for some reason cerakote did not like my keyboard and he wouldn't try another so I have to say try cerakote at your own risk - it can look really cool on other items but I don't know if it will work on a keyboard.

oh damn, do you mean the particular shop wouldn't do more?  There are hundreds of cerakoting shops around, probably multiple in Cincinnati

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #2332 on: Tue, 17 January 2017, 22:44:28 »

oh damn, do you mean the particular shop wouldn't do more?  There are hundreds of cerakoting shops around, probably multiple in Cincinnati

I think what he tried to say was that the shop really tried to make it work, and the results were not good. " I tool one of my keyboards to the best shop in this area that does custom cerakoting. "  So there was no point in trying to do more tests, according to that shop.

Offline roostrc0gburn

• * Esteemed Elder
  • its just plastic
« Reply #2333 on: Tue, 17 January 2017, 23:02:06 »
YMMV

Offline zzyjayfree

« Reply #2334 on: Tue, 17 January 2017, 23:40:01 »
It's sure good to see NinjaDoc to come back and be active.

Sit tight, Mira is happening!
OTD 360 Corsa w/ Nixdorf, OTD 356.2 DGE, Matrix 1.2, Matrix 2.0, Matrix Abel, Skog, Dolphin, EM7, Lynn Pad, Plank, LZ-RE, EqualZ, Orion v2, Octagon v2, Viper v2, Tank, Mira, Mira SE, Moon, Camp 225, Let's Split, HHKB, RealForce, Infinity Ergo, Cherry 3700, DolchPac, Nixdorf, Model M, Filcos.

Offline Unforgivable

Re: Questions answered
« Reply #2335 on: Tue, 17 January 2017, 23:48:53 »
Winkey and winkeyless will be offered

Extra PCB's, plates, and weights will be offered.

The top and bottom can be ordered in different colors - for example silver top, black base.

In the future I hope to offer a GB for plates of different materials and maybe with a different PCB - not now though.

Edit: I hope everyone votes Navy Blue on the polls this weekend. It looks amazing! 

Thanks again for running this, can't wait to see it go live!
« Last Edit: Tue, 17 January 2017, 23:52:45 by Unforgivable »

Offline E3E

« Reply #2336 on: Wed, 18 January 2017, 00:20:02 »
sorry if it's been stated but i don't see the answer in the new OP, but is this winkeyless only?

i see the prototype is winkeyless, but i also see some renders with the winkey as well (although they may not be relevant anymore)

Yeah, winkey and winkeyless are supposed to be offered, and the plate is designed for both.

Offline meiosis

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Time
« Reply #2337 on: Wed, 18 January 2017, 01:50:54 »
When the GB thread is opened I hope ninjadoc can be the creator :). Sucks to have to wait for someone who has abandoned this project (and taken the funds)
Keyboards:
Filco Majestouch 2 - Sakura Edition [MX Blue]
Filco Majestouch 2 - Lotus Edition [MX Brown]
Realforce 23ub - Modded with 55g Domes.
Aripeko TKL

Offline Mr_BeastQuake

• Reddit
« Reply #2338 on: Wed, 18 January 2017, 02:47:41 »

I will only offer Leeku boards which will be soldered except for the bottom RGB LED’s. Leeku might be able to offer those soldered for $5 a board. The plates are designed to use both Leeku’s board and the NERD. YukTsi has been working on a TKL board that should fit and Winkeyless has a TKL board that I think will fit.

So, a few pages back the Leeku PCB was identified as the one being offered but it was said the bottom RGB LED's will not be pre-soldered. I'm just curious if the option to pay $5 more and get the SMD LED's soldered is a reality at this point.

Offline Unforgivable

« Reply #2339 on: Wed, 18 January 2017, 07:24:34 »

I will only offer Leeku boards which will be soldered except for the bottom RGB LED’s. Leeku might be able to offer those soldered for $5 a board. The plates are designed to use both Leeku’s board and the NERD. YukTsi has been working on a TKL board that should fit and Winkeyless has a TKL board that I think will fit.

So, a few pages back the Leeku PCB was identified as the one being offered but it was said the bottom RGB LED's will not be pre-soldered. I'm just curious if the option to pay $5 more and get the SMD LED's soldered is a reality at this point.

Yeah, I think if this board has an acrylic layer, LED's should be included by default. Maybe have people who opt out get a $5 discount? Basically on the form, 'No LED?' -$5

Offline flopix

• Laur
« Reply #2340 on: Wed, 18 January 2017, 14:34:35 »

Yeah, I think if this board has an acrylic layer, LED's should be included by default. Maybe have people who opt out get a $5 discount? Basically on the form, 'No LED?' -$5
You mean "no soldered LEDs" = -5$, of course :)

Offline ninjadoc

Colors
« Reply #2341 on: Wed, 18 January 2017, 17:31:35 »
colors have been submitted to Photoelectric for posting of a poll.

Since English seems to be hard for me at the end of the day for whatever reason - the Mira will be offered in black, silver,grey,blue,pink.

Poll is to decide which version of pink and which version of blue.

Thank you

Offline ninjadoc

« Reply #2342 on: Wed, 18 January 2017, 17:32:46 »

To the best of my knowledge it is but I will clarify that with Leeku. I can only offer what I am given the opportunity to purchase.
« Last Edit: Wed, 18 January 2017, 17:36:52 by ninjadoc »

Offline ninjadoc

« Reply #2343 on: Wed, 18 January 2017, 17:37:50 »
When the GB thread is opened I hope ninjadoc can be the creator :). Sucks to have to wait for someone who has abandoned this project (and taken the funds)

I will be the creator of the GB.

Offline roostrc0gburn

• * Esteemed Elder
  • its just plastic
« Reply #2344 on: Wed, 18 January 2017, 18:53:58 »
just to confirm, those of the first 57 that have stuck around so far still have our numbers reserved?

Offline techmattr

Re: Colors
« Reply #2345 on: Wed, 18 January 2017, 19:12:30 »
colors have been submitted to Photoelectric for posting of a poll.

Since English seems to be hard for me at the end of the day for whatever reason - the Mira will be offered in black, silver,grey,blue,pink.

Poll is to decide which version of pink and which version of blue.

Thank you

Unless an extra $400 sprouts out of my butt in the next couple days allowing me to purchase two.... I think I'm going to have to play this conservative and go with Black or Silver.... or Grey...

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #2346 on: Wed, 18 January 2017, 19:25:08 »
The color poll will be added tomorrow, as per ninjadoc's request.

Offline ninjadoc

Update
« Reply #2347 on: Wed, 18 January 2017, 19:55:04 »
Leeku TX-87 PCB's with presoldered RGB LED's will be available. I assume given there is a diffuser plate that most if not all will want these so that is all that will be ordered to make Leeku and my life simpler. Please add $5 to my previous costs of the Mira just so you have it in mind.

Plan: poll from this Friday to next Friday, GB buy to start on January 28th and run through till February 11. Billing will only begin when I know the factory is ready to begin production.

Offline ninjadoc

« Reply #2348 on: Wed, 18 January 2017, 19:57:01 »
just to confirm, those of the first 57 that have stuck around so far still have our numbers reserved?

Correct - unless you've sold or traded it. Those sales have been kept up with. The numbers will be asked for on your order and if there is a discrepancy I or Frosty will PM you and ask about it.

Offline ninjadoc

« Reply #2349 on: Wed, 18 January 2017, 19:57:32 »
The color poll will be added tomorrow, as per ninjadoc's request.

Thank you for all of your help