Author Topic: Stepped Caps Lock — question about mounting  (Read 8944 times)

Offline benfrain

• benfrain.com
Stepped Caps Lock — question about mounting
« on: Fri, 10 January 2020, 12:21:46 »
I’m curious. It seems most key sets come with a stepped caps lock and offset stem mount.

However, most keyboards *seem* to have a centered switch for the caps lock key.

If you’re someone who wants a stepped caps lock do you need to look for boards with a specific plate/PCB or just look out for key sets with a center stem stepped caps lock?

Offline Riverman

Re: Stepped Caps Lock — question about mounting
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 10 January 2020, 12:23:58 »
Stepped caps lock key caps are generally only there for Cherry G80-3000 series keyboards.  If you want to use those, you'll have to get one of those boards.  I'm not aware of any other keyboards that use off-center caps lock switches that require a stepped caps lock key cap, but they probably do exist.

Offline mountainblocks

• mountainblocks.com
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 10 January 2020, 12:34:00 »
I’m curious. It seems most key sets come with a stepped caps lock and offset stem mount.

However, most keyboards *seem* to have a centered switch for the caps lock key.

If you’re someone who wants a stepped caps lock do you need to look for boards with a specific plate/PCB or just look out for key sets with a center stem stepped caps lock?

A lot of modern PCB's for custom boards give you the option of using stepped caps lock by having footprints placed for both stepped and non-stepped. I prefer the aesthetic and practicality of stepped caps lock and always go with that when I have the option.

Offline Tactile

« Reply #3 on: Fri, 10 January 2020, 13:02:46 »
As mountainblocks said, some PCBs have two choices for that switch location. This is my GH60:
233349-0

And here on the PCB you can see how you are given a choice where to put that switch:
233351-1
« Last Edit: Fri, 10 January 2020, 13:13:52 by Tactile »
REΛLFORCE

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #4 on: Fri, 10 January 2020, 15:31:08 »
Some Leopold keyboards come with a stepped, centre-stemmed keycap with the legend "Control" instead of "Caps Lock". The area that you can press is 1.5u, not 1.25u like original Cherry/GMK stepped keys.

Pad-printed or blank Leopold keycap sets that included that key used to be available to buy separately, but I have not found them for some time. New Leopold keyboards don't have keys with pad-printing: it has been replaced with higher-quality dye-sub or double-shot moulding.