Author Topic: [IC] Eclipse - 70% gasket mount keyboard (moved to GB)  (Read 233727 times)

Offline chits

Re: [IC] Eclipse - a "TKL" 60% Keyboard
« Reply #200 on: Fri, 24 April 2020, 11:02:45 »
bezels on the proto look much larger than in the renders. is this just my imagination?

Offline snurrebassen

• mechanical keyboard designer and enthusiast
    • Linktree
« Reply #201 on: Fri, 24 April 2020, 12:53:41 »

Looks great! What is the generally agreed on dimension between caps and case sidewalls? Or PCB switch footprint and case sidewalls?

It should be very small, maybe close to just 1mm or so. I had accounted too much for extra room, and so 2mm extra on the overall width of the holes were added, which is about 1mm extra on each side. When I put together a bunch of renders with other keyboard cases I saw that the Eclipse had a little bit of extra room. I made the adjustment but sadly didn't make it for the factory before they were done milling. :/

That said, it will definitely be fixed and perfected for the final cases!

bezels on the proto look much larger than in the renders. is this just my imagination?

I did a few minor edits here and there when working on the cases, so there might be some changes. But the bezels should be about the same from the render to the prototype.
The inner fillets (rounded corners) will however be smaller, because it simply isn't possible to have rounder corners, because the keycaps would collide with the edges :/

Offline beekey

« Reply #202 on: Fri, 24 April 2020, 14:39:36 »
Looks nice! HHKB top and hotswap would be great. :)

Offline powahause

« Reply #203 on: Fri, 24 April 2020, 21:11:12 »
Love the layout. I kind of like the Chonk bezels of the prototype haha

Offline nathanchere

« Reply #204 on: Sat, 25 April 2020, 04:39:25 »

Not at all interested in hot swap but yeah, HHKB blockers would make this killer

Offline phinix

• On a diet.. again.. don't ask...
« Reply #205 on: Sat, 25 April 2020, 18:04:35 »

Not at all interested in hot swap but yeah, HHKB blockers would make this killer

HHKB blockers don't make sense on this board.
9100 | 3070 | 8TB SSD + 2x 1TB SSD | Z390 Aorus Pro ITX | 16GB RAM | SFX 600W | Sentry 2.0 | Ruark Audio MR1 Mark II | LG OLED 48CX
Realforce 87u55 | CM QuickFire Rapid MX Blacks | NCR-80 87g Gateron Oil Kings | Logitech Pro Superlight
SA: Retro Petscii, 7bit Round6 'Symbiosis', Filco, Carbon Bone Cherry: GMK Laser, OG double shot caps, CRP APL GSA: Retro High-light HSA: Hyperfuse

::: Phinix Cube ::: Phinix Nano Tower ::: Phinix Aurora ::: Phinix Chimera ::: Phinix Retro :::

Offline breh

« Reply #206 on: Sat, 25 April 2020, 22:01:26 »
Looks great, +1 interest.
Do you know if the PCB will have ESD protection?

Offline snurrebassen

• Linktree
« Reply #207 on: Sun, 26 April 2020, 10:04:45 »
thank you!!
Yes, PCB will have ESD protection from what I know, I’m sure w3bb0 can answer more in detail!

Offline w3bb0

• Keyboard Moment
    • Breakpoint
« Reply #208 on: Sun, 26 April 2020, 12:28:55 »
Hi there the pcb uses a daughter board created by AI03 which has esd protection built in!

Offline vaf1en

« Reply #209 on: Mon, 27 April 2020, 01:28:18 »
First of all, let me preface this post by saying that the board looks amazing and that the layout may actually be my favourite to date.

What are the chances of an option of
* a metal top
* polycarbonate/acrylic bottom half
* and the PCB supporting underglow?

That would put this board over the top.

The bottom part does have a 1-2 mm clearance in height and I think it would not cheapen the look/detract from the overall aesthetics of the board.
It could add a really cool look and the feeling of the board just ever so slightly hovering on a pillow of subtle, warm white light.

Just a thought - I am aware it is probably not going to materialize.

Offline snurrebassen

• Linktree
« Reply #210 on: Mon, 27 April 2020, 15:33:34 »
 :D

Offline enjoidis

« Reply #211 on: Mon, 27 April 2020, 16:01:24 »
Yep, I just really need this layout in my life. It's decided. ;)

Offline kevchigga

« Reply #212 on: Mon, 27 April 2020, 16:25:07 »
Show Image

THIS WKL LOOKS FREAKING AMAZING!

Offline elmo

• Hello I like keyboards
    • Elmo's keyboards
« Reply #213 on: Wed, 29 April 2020, 04:06:07 »
Show Image

Not a fan of those thick bezels tbh...

Offline phinix

« Reply #214 on: Wed, 29 April 2020, 04:13:52 »
Show Image

Not a fan of those thick bezels tbh...

I am a fan of those thick bezels.
What's the point of having a keyboard, when all you can see is just caps? Thin bezels disappear and you cannot even see a bit of keyboard, which in most of the cases is pretty expensive item.
Thick bezels add character to keyboard as a whole, IMO.
9100 | 3070 | 8TB SSD + 2x 1TB SSD | Z390 Aorus Pro ITX | 16GB RAM | SFX 600W | Sentry 2.0 | Ruark Audio MR1 Mark II | LG OLED 48CX
Realforce 87u55 | CM QuickFire Rapid MX Blacks | NCR-80 87g Gateron Oil Kings | Logitech Pro Superlight
SA: Retro Petscii, 7bit Round6 'Symbiosis', Filco, Carbon Bone Cherry: GMK Laser, OG double shot caps, CRP APL GSA: Retro High-light HSA: Hyperfuse

::: Phinix Cube ::: Phinix Nano Tower ::: Phinix Aurora ::: Phinix Chimera ::: Phinix Retro :::

Offline omegarex555

« Reply #215 on: Fri, 01 May 2020, 01:46:27 »
noob question, could those 6 keys above arrows set be changed into macro keys?

Offline Shutter_Shock

« Reply #216 on: Fri, 01 May 2020, 02:44:06 »

Yep. You can pretty much program any key to do whatever you want. You can also put your macros on a second layer. The key that’s Fn in the render to the right of the space bar (or any other key really) could be programmed so that when pressed or held, a subsequent layer of functionality is accessed. You can program keys to do something else on that layer. Default is layer 0. You could put your macros on layer 1 on whatever keys you want. Moral of the story is you can basically program the board to do whatever you want. If you want every key to register as left shift, you could.

Offline azzipa

« Reply #217 on: Fri, 01 May 2020, 10:22:35 »
Interested. Like the layout, would be a (functional) change from my std 60. Watching and curious about colors, weight, etc.

Offline phinix

« Reply #218 on: Fri, 01 May 2020, 10:44:07 »

Yep. You can pretty much program any key to do whatever you want. You can also put your macros on a second layer. The key that’s Fn in the render to the right of the space bar (or any other key really) could be programmed so that when pressed or held, a subsequent layer of functionality is accessed. You can program keys to do something else on that layer. Default is layer 0. You could put your macros on layer 1 on whatever keys you want. Moral of the story is you can basically program the board to do whatever you want. If you want every key to register as left shift, you could.

Does it mean that for example if I'm going to use ANSI keyboard, I could program it to have £ symbol under Pause key?
That would be registered in the keyboard and no matter what system I would be using, or what language set in OS, it would work?

Offline iaman

« Reply #219 on: Fri, 01 May 2020, 11:29:02 »
Does it mean that for example if I'm going to use ANSI keyboard, I could program it to have £ symbol under Pause key?
That would be registered in the keyboard and no matter what system I would be using, or what language set in OS, it would work?
yes, that is how programmable keyboards built on QMK work. The layout is stored on the board

Offline McMack04

« Reply #220 on: Fri, 01 May 2020, 16:11:15 »
Any chance for a brass plate?

Offline phinix

« Reply #221 on: Sat, 02 May 2020, 14:16:27 »
yes, that is how programmable keyboards built on QMK work. The layout is stored on the board

Cool, thanks. I never used QMK boards, so wanted to confirm.
I'm ANSI user in UK, so you see my dilemma  :D

Offline kaisn

« Reply #222 on: Sat, 02 May 2020, 14:48:54 »
Show Image

Yeah split backspace and WKL my cup of tea. if this is available Ill join for sure
tsangan layout is out of the question?

« Last Edit: Sat, 02 May 2020, 14:51:39 by kaisn »

Offline Codezilla

« Reply #223 on: Sat, 02 May 2020, 15:18:07 »
Hotswap board please... So much interested in the board. Looks amazing.

Offline DoItForTheThocks

« Reply #224 on: Sat, 02 May 2020, 20:08:01 »
Love the form factor. Made an account to say that I'd be in for 1.

Offline Neostoic

« Reply #225 on: Mon, 04 May 2020, 14:32:50 »
100% in if I can snag one.
TGR Alice - Heavy-6 - HHKB Pro 2 stock - TGR 910 RE - HBCP - TMO V2 - Luna HHKB - HHKB Hybrid - Keycult 1/60 Rev01. - 45-ATS - KFE OG - Petrichor - Norbaforce - F1-8X - Whale SE - Kei - Clarabelle - Prophet - Unikorn - FLX Virgo - 7V - M60 A - Keycult 1/65 Rev01 - Keycult No.2 TKL Commission -Haus - Pneuma Rev1. - KFE CE - Frog - 2No. Haus - Adelie - Whale 75

Incoming - Dalco Mini 959 GT - Sagittarius - Box 75  - Keycult No.2/65 Commission - Campsite - HHKB Heavy Grail  - Iron 180 - Iron 165 - Kaze FnF

Notable Previously Owned - TGR Jane V2 - Infinitum

Offline akaceejaye

« Reply #226 on: Mon, 04 May 2020, 15:17:43 »
Looks great!

Offline azzipa

« Reply #227 on: Mon, 04 May 2020, 15:55:01 »
Amazing how many new accounts (post count <10) responding to this thread... Looks like you've really tapped into something here, snurrebassen! Definitely looking forward to this hitting GB. Please keep us posted on PCB prototype. I'm waiting for the 'check mark' on OP :)))

Offline ponchofreedo

• it me
« Reply #228 on: Mon, 04 May 2020, 18:23:46 »
I sincerely hope this gb happens...soooooooooo nice. this is basically the layout ive been hoping would come along.

Offline enjoidis

« Reply #229 on: Tue, 05 May 2020, 00:36:19 »
Can you list or show renders of the color choices? I know there are some color option listed on IC form, but would be easier to check out if they were listed on IC page. Also, would you think about adding grey to the list? I really want to see this board get made and if it came in grey it'd be an instant no hesitation purchase for me. Any idea when GB might go down if it happens?

Offline snurrebassen

• Linktree
« Reply #230 on: Wed, 06 May 2020, 04:59:24 »
Can you list or show renders of the color choices? I know there are some color option listed on IC form, but would be easier to check out if they were listed on IC page. Also, would you think about adding grey to the list? I really want to see this board get made and if it came in grey it'd be an instant no hesitation purchase for me. Any idea when GB might go down if it happens?
Hey!
Colors are not yet determined. I want to try keep as few colors as I can, while covering the most desired colors, to make sure the quality of the colors are as good as they can be. However I can give a rundown of the colors we're looking at:
- Black
- Lilac
- Pink
- Dark Blue
- Grey
- White

I've prototyped the cases in lilac, pink and dark blue, which are the colors I assume are the hardest to get right.

As of right now I can't estimate when a GB might happen. I can tell you however I love working on this, and I'm as eager as you to get this case running!

Offline snurrebassen

• Linktree
« Reply #231 on: Wed, 06 May 2020, 05:02:03 »
UPDATE:
Cases are shipped from factory!

Some quick photos:

(Light) Pink with brass weight

Pink case with dark blue bottom (weightless)

Pink case with stainless steel weight

Plates: Aluminum, brass and polycarbonate

Those with keen eyes might spot that I forgot to add holes on the plates for the LEDs :confused:
An embarrassing mistake from my side. I'm gonna try get it sorted though, so I can test how the indicator LEDs work out properly.

Again, thanks for all the kind comments and support!  ;)
« Last Edit: Wed, 06 May 2020, 05:07:17 by snurrebassen »

Offline Erigorin

« Reply #232 on: Wed, 06 May 2020, 06:06:01 »
Looks really great! Any pictures of the tops as well?

Offline azzipa

« Reply #233 on: Wed, 06 May 2020, 07:13:58 »
I’m going to have a hard time picking a color... Did you decide to offer a mix and match option for top and bottom colors? Or maybe we can by an ‘extra’ base so we could have weighted and unweighted if we want? Nice work with weights, by the way.  :thumb:

Offline phinix

« Reply #234 on: Wed, 06 May 2020, 08:42:36 »
Sweeeet:)

Offline Starston3

Re: [IC] Eclipse - a &quot;TKL&quot; 60% Keyboard
« Reply #235 on: Wed, 06 May 2020, 08:49:40 »
UPDATE:

Some quick photos:
Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Those with keen eyes might spot that I forgot to add holes on the plates for the LEDs :confused:
An embarrassing mistake from my side. I'm gonna try get it sorted though, so I can test how the indicator LEDs work out properly.

Great photos... hope during the gb there will be an option for fixed ansi plate rather than universal. If not, please release the plate file.

Not a fan of universal plates nowadays.

Offline snurrebassen

• Linktree
« Reply #236 on: Wed, 06 May 2020, 08:52:44 »
Looks really great! Any pictures of the tops as well?
It sadly wasn't provided as far as I know. Factory pictures usually aren't the best  :-X

Great photos... hope during the gb there will be an option for fixed ansi plate rather than universal. If not, please release the plate file.

Not a fan of universal plates nowadays.

Will definitely prepare alternative plate files like this and release them, if we're not offering them in the GB itself. :) We want people to customize their keyboard to their preference.

Offline Shutter_Shock

« Reply #237 on: Wed, 06 May 2020, 11:42:25 »
UPDATE:

Some quick photos:
Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Looks great! Out of curiosity, how much thickness is left when the screw holes are drilled so close to the edge of the bottom piece?

Offline NOLA

« Reply #238 on: Wed, 06 May 2020, 12:18:21 »
UPDATE:

Some quick photos:
Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Looks great! Out of curiosity, how much thickness is left when the screw holes are drilled so close to the edge of the bottom piece?
Looks like just half of the tap is the larger opening (countersunk). The lower cut through diameter is smaller giving more thickness to the hole.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Offline snurrebassen

• Linktree
« Reply #239 on: Wed, 06 May 2020, 13:29:50 »

Looks like just half of the tap is the larger opening (countersunk). The lower cut through diameter is smaller giving more thickness to the hole.

Yeah that is right. I'm not very comfortable having them that close but if i remember right i kind of had to, to balance everything out. I'll see if i can change it for the next rev!

Offline switchnollie

• sleever supreme
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • greyhat co-leader
« Reply #240 on: Wed, 06 May 2020, 15:46:06 »
Like the layout, will be watching for different bottom row layouts :thumb:

Keyboards: HHKB Pro 1 & OTD 356CL Dark Greyhat Edition, baybee!

Offline azzipa

« Reply #241 on: Thu, 07 May 2020, 19:08:21 »
Please keep us posted on PCB prototype. I'm waiting for the 'check mark' on OP :)))

ordered... check!     :thumb:

Offline phinix

« Reply #242 on: Fri, 08 May 2020, 05:50:26 »

Yeah that is right. I'm not very comfortable having them that close but if i remember right i kind of had to, to balance everything out. I'll see if i can change it for the next rev!

Design is awesome, but yes, those very thin edges of srew holes are a bit too thin, a bit worrying. I understad that few mm below it gets smaller, so that top hole is just for srew head, but still, I wouldn't like to break that thin edge at some point.

WHat would be the weight of this case - weightless version and with weight?
« Last Edit: Fri, 08 May 2020, 05:53:14 by phinix »

Offline snurrebassen

• Linktree
Re: [IC] Eclipse - a 70% gasket mount keyboard
« Reply #243 on: Fri, 08 May 2020, 06:30:41 »

Design is awesome, but yes, those very thin edges of srew holes are a bit too thin, a bit worrying. I understad that few mm below it gets smaller, so that top hole is just for srew head, but still, I wouldn't like to break that thin edge at some point.

Yeah. I'm definitely gonna have a look at that. Maybe try looking into countersunk screws if I can't do anything about their closeness to the edge. It's not looking too good either, aesthetically.

By measuring the mass and material in Fusion, the three parts should amount to around 2.1kg, so it's looking to be a heavy guy :)

Offline phinix

« Reply #244 on: Fri, 08 May 2020, 06:44:42 »

Yeah. I'm definitely gonna have a look at that. Maybe try looking into countersunk screws if I can't do anything about their closeness to the edge. It's not looking too good either, aesthetically.

By measuring the mass and material in Fusion, the three parts should amount to around 2.1kg, so it's looking to be a heavy guy :)

Cool:)
2.1kg - thats including weight, right? How heavy is the weight itself?

Offline Shutter_Shock

« Reply #245 on: Fri, 08 May 2020, 16:31:53 »

To clarify what I meant when I first brought it up, I wasn't concerned about the structure. I'm not worried the thin edge will accidentally get broken, I just think it looks sub-optimal, aesthetically speaking. That being said, the looks of the undersides of boards aren't generally my primary concern, which is why I generally don't have much input for the aesthetics of weights and stuff. If re-working the screws is a huge headache, leaving them as they are isn't the end of the world. I just thought it was worth bringing up. Thanks for all your hard work and responsiveness to feedback! Hope you're safe, healthy, and doing well!
« Last Edit: Fri, 08 May 2020, 16:33:56 by Shutter_Shock »

Offline snurrebassen

• Linktree
Re: [IC] Eclipse - 70% gasket mount keyboard
« Reply #246 on: Tue, 19 May 2020, 07:17:53 »
Hello everyone!

Prototype and gasket samples have arrived!

This is only a quick assembly I did before the gaskets arrived. With makeshift gaskets to mimic the thickness and function of the actual silicone gaskets the feel and sound was surprisingly tight already, even without a PCB.

The distance from keycaps to inner edges is something that definitely will be fixed and tightened up. I honestly expected it to look worse than it does now. The gap looked way bigger virtually.
Still I will make it fit tighter, by adjusting it a tiny bit, so the caps will be fit better in the case.

During this week, the prototypes of the PCB will be assembled by W3bb0, one of which will be shipped to me.

Hopefully sometime next week I'm able to set up a live stream and of course, videos of the final result for those who can't make the livestream.
Mind you I'm not too familiar or used to live streaming so don't expect the best of quality and entertainment  :-X

Full album of photos here:
https://imgur.com/a/zNPqAF9

Overall I'm very excited about this keyboard and more so about making it as good as it can be for all those who are interested in it.

FAQ:
- Colors are not yet 100% decided, but I'm pretty sure we'll keep Pink and Lilac, as the samples looks really good.
- QTY, first round will most likely be limited to 150 units FCFS. This is simply to make sure the quality can be met to match the samples on all units.
- No confirmed GB date yet, but things are moving along smoothly now.
- Total weight is about 2kg, including the weight.

Offline iaman

Re: [IC] Eclipse - 70% gasket mount keyboard (Prototype finished!)
« Reply #247 on: Tue, 19 May 2020, 07:28:44 »
Oh gosh that prototype is lookin good! Excited about this one 🤩

Offline SolidCactus

« Reply #248 on: Tue, 19 May 2020, 07:31:37 »
The prototype is looking awesome.

Very tidy work and I will be following!

Offline Erigorin

« Reply #249 on: Tue, 19 May 2020, 07:39:18 »
Will e-white still be a colour option?