Author Topic: Extreme custom keyboards I found in a clothing boutique in Memphis...  (Read 6458 times)

Offline blakespot

• My (modest) keyboard gallery
Not where one would expect to find such things...

We were taking my daughter to visit a college in Memphis, Tennessee, and during our stay we wandered about a cute little shopping area in which our hotel was situated, Overton Square in midtown, when we found this cute little clothing and knick knack boutique that my wife and daughter loved (the latter walked away with a few French dresses). Anyway, while they were trying on clothes I was poking about the place and saw these four amazing (to my eyes) custom keyboards sitting on a shelf with a stack of business cards. The son of the owner of the store puts custom boards together - he's @thatoldtoby on social media.

The top right board with brown switches, White Freebird, was $325 as I recall and the price ranged from there, the top right U80a was $1,000, as I recall. I really wanted to walk away with the Freebird, but my wife was not on board, sadly.

What an odd place to find such a display. Also, the guy's mom had an amazing looking keyboard he put together with vintage style keys at her POS system on the back desk. I'm told her son will do custom builds.

I thought I would share.

bp
:: Leopold FC660C (x2), FC660M (browns), Realforce 87U, Das Keyboard (blues), Matias Tactile Pro (v1), HHKBL2, Matias Quiet Pro, Unicomp Classic 101, Focus FK-2001, Corsair Vengeance K65 (reds), Steelseries Apex 7 TKL ("browns")
:: Modest photo gallery of my keyboards

Offline Coreda

Re: Extreme custom keyboards I found in a clothing boutique in Memphis...
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 06 August 2023, 02:45:04 »
Definitely unexpected   ^-^ I like the lead up to the reveal in the video for context.

Offline blakespot

• My (modest) keyboard gallery
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 06 August 2023, 09:52:09 »
Definitely unexpected   ^-^ I like the lead up to the reveal in the video for context.

Hah, yea I felt a photo alone would not really frame the bizarreness of the situation, walking in there with my wife and daughter and wandering about the store while they went nuts over some French dress (which we purchased). I've been chatting with the man behind the keyboards online, since -- nice fellow!

bp
:: Leopold FC660C (x2), FC660M (browns), Realforce 87U, Das Keyboard (blues), Matias Tactile Pro (v1), HHKBL2, Matias Quiet Pro, Unicomp Classic 101, Focus FK-2001, Corsair Vengeance K65 (reds), Steelseries Apex 7 TKL ("browns")
:: Modest photo gallery of my keyboards

Offline Mandan

« Reply #3 on: Sat, 12 August 2023, 21:59:40 »
The one in the foreground appears to be left-handed, too.

Offline phinix

• On a diet.. again.. don't ask...
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 16 August 2023, 17:37:00 »
That is very cool!
9100 | 3070 | 8TB SSD + 2x 1TB SSD | Z390 Aorus Pro ITX | 16GB RAM | SFX 600W | Sentry 2.0 | Ruark Audio MR1 Mark II | LG OLED 48CX
Realforce 87u55 | CM QuickFire Rapid MX Blacks | NCR-80 87g Gateron Oil Kings | Logitech Pro Superlight
SA: Retro Petscii, 7bit Round6 'Symbiosis', Filco, Carbon Bone Cherry: GMK Laser, OG double shot caps, CRP APL GSA: Retro High-light HSA: Hyperfuse

::: Phinix Cube ::: Phinix Nano Tower ::: Phinix Aurora ::: Phinix Chimera ::: Phinix Retro :::