Author Topic: [IC] Southpaw Split IC #2  (Read 6503 times)

Offline Gondolindrim

• My GitHub
[IC] Southpaw Split IC #2
« on: Mon, 06 January 2020, 09:13:18 »
Hey guys, Jake from P3D and Gondo here!

It has been around a month since we first posted the first IC for the Southpaw split here.

You may know Jake from his 3D printed cases he's been selling though his new website, or from before as /u/skyybaby. We are excited to announce the 2nd Interest Check for the Southpaw Split PCB and Case that will be coming!

The Southpaw Split PCB

For those of you that don't know me I'm Gondolindrim, a brazilian PCB designer best known for the Acheron Project, which encompasses the SharkPCB, Doddle60, ElongatePCB and the AustinPCB.

Our idea for the PCB is a southpaw split keyboard featuring a number pad on attached on the left side, and a typical 65% right side. We are still in the early stages of the project, and I’d love to gather some interest and feedback to help influence how things will proceed.

Please submit your feedback on the google form, it is much appreciated. Here is the proposed layout of the PCB:

PCB Features (so far) determined from IC #1:

- Hotswap
- RGB Underglow
- USB-C main connection and for the split connections
- Encoder support, placement still not determined though.
- F-row and Number pad areas will be detachable to allow for PCB flexibility.
- F-Row and Number pad will have un-soldered hotswap sockets to save cost if the customer plans to toss this section anyway. However, the hotswap sockets are easy to solder, and I will be offering soldering services for a very reasonable fee for people that don’t care to solder those sockets on.
- If we can’t quite make the layout options shown above work with the hot swap, they will also not be soldered from the factory, and allows for more customization. Again, I will be offering soldering services for those that don’t care to solder the sockets on.

What we can’t change about the PCB is mainly the microprocessor. As of today QMK does not support split layouts on the newer ARM MCUs so we are stuck with Atmega for this. This is not a downside per se, just clearing up the design choice. Also USBC is almost a requirement for PCBs these days, so we want to stick with that. Unfortunately, ISO support will also not be available as we didn't have much ISO voters on the first IC.

I will load the PCB with my latest features from Acheron, such as:

- Overcurrent and overvoltage protections;
- ESD (Electrostatic Discharge) protection on data lines;
- TVS (Transient Voltage Suppressor) on the bus voltage power feed;
- Isolation from MCU and bus power rails by means of a pi-filter;
- PCB will be open-sourced and released under the Acheron Project.
- The Southpaw Split Case

Jake's idea is to make a PCB to sell alongside a 3D printed case. The goal is to offer an “end game” and a unique layout without the high price tag a full aluminum case would run. Case Features (so far) determined from IC #1:

- Plate will be FR4 material
- High Profile case option
- Low Profile case option
- Number pad section will have a small (0.25-0.5u spacing) bezel separating it from the main left half keys.
- 0.5u Blocker option to the left of the arrow cluster.
- Translucent clear plastic section to show off underglow optional
- 5 degree incline option
- 5 degree decline option
- Flat bottom option
- Tenting option will be tested, but due to the size of the board, it might not be beneficial.

Aside from the case options, we also want to offer a “sandwich-mount” option, made of PCB, switch and base plates made of FR4. This way we can offer an affordable option for those that want to test the layout and, if you feel inclined, you can buy the case and simply drop the PCB and switch plates into the case!

The GB

Depending on feedback I may run the PCB and Case GB style. If I get enough interest, I will most likely just stock this in my store to be made available right away.

Please fill out the Google Form to help us out. In the form you have the option of giving feedback and suggestions. We are thrilled to hear what you guys have to say!

Thanks!

-Jake, P3D LLC and Gondo

A pessimist will tell you the cup is half empty. An optimist will tell you the cup is half full. An engineer will tell you it's exactly twice the size it needs to be.

Offline Koatl

• Kozahtli on reddit, etc.
Re: [IC] Southpaw Split IC #2
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 06 January 2020, 10:34:03 »
Sick. Would love to hop on an F-rowless version of this.
☷☴☲☱☶☵☳☰

Offline Gondolindrim

• My GitHub
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 06 January 2020, 11:03:56 »
Sick. Would love to hop on an F-rowless version of this.

The F-Row will be detachable, so when you receive your PCB you will have the option of either keeping it or removing it. We are making the PCB as universal as possible so as to not have to make many versions at the same time as having the most compatibility possible.
A pessimist will tell you the cup is half empty. An optimist will tell you the cup is half full. An engineer will tell you it's exactly twice the size it needs to be.

Offline Darth_munkee

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 06 January 2020, 20:41:00 »
Yeah, I have been looking for something like this for a while now. The wife has been asking for a southpaw set up for a while now and split is life.

Offline Gondolindrim

• My GitHub
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 06 January 2020, 21:35:47 »
Yeah, I have been looking for something like this for a while now. The wife has been asking for a southpaw set up for a while now and split is life.

Then look no further :D
I'll post here once the GB is up!

Offline whomad1215

« Reply #5 on: Tue, 07 January 2020, 10:21:36 »
For the Numpad, would it be possible to have all 1u keys as an option?

Offline yrneh

« Reply #6 on: Thu, 06 February 2020, 00:29:07 »
Hey, when can we expect an update on this? This is definitely my end-game layout.

Offline Gondolindrim

• My GitHub
« Reply #7 on: Thu, 06 February 2020, 08:25:47 »
Hey, when can we expect an update on this? This is definitely my end-game layout.

PCB is under design. Should finish in a week or so

Offline Serious salamander

« Reply #8 on: Thu, 06 February 2020, 13:38:15 »

PCB is under design. Should finish in a week or so

Very interested! Look forward to any updates.

Offline quake4mhg

« Reply #9 on: Thu, 06 February 2020, 23:45:21 »
I've been using these setup like 8 years. https://imgur.com/IbtmZve
Not left handed but small shoulder width and gamer's right hand never leave the mouse.
Hard to find a new southpaw toy with function keys I need for work/game.
Hopefully I can afford this.

Offline Ahrimofnor

« Reply #10 on: Thu, 06 February 2020, 23:55:54 »
Cool look. Its like a slightly more compact version of the SP-111 that supports underglow.

Offline Gondolindrim

• My GitHub
« Reply #11 on: Fri, 07 February 2020, 13:46:26 »
Not left handed but small shoulder width and gamer's right hand never leave the mouse.

It is supposed to be an affordable kit, so you can test and futurely buy a high end case!

Offline Zeelobby

« Reply #12 on: Fri, 07 February 2020, 14:52:47 »

It is supposed to be an affordable kit, so you can test and futurely buy a high end case!
Music to my ears. I'm really excited about this. And appreciate affordability. Especially if it lets me try cool new layouts!

Offline Gondolindrim

• My GitHub
« Reply #13 on: Fri, 07 February 2020, 14:59:01 »
Cool look. Its like a slightly more compact version of the SP-111 that supports underglow.

Yeah, it was supposed to be a inspired-by but not clone of SP111

Offline Zeelobby

« Reply #14 on: Mon, 17 February 2020, 09:41:43 »
Still coming back and checking this thread like an addict. As someone who missed sp111, I'd love a chance to build a cheaper version.

Offline yrneh

« Reply #15 on: Mon, 17 February 2020, 09:57:35 »
Still coming back and checking this thread like an addict. As someone who missed sp111, I'd love a chance to build a cheaper version.

Same

Offline Gondolindrim

• My GitHub
« Reply #16 on: Mon, 17 February 2020, 12:38:16 »

Yeah, unfortunately I had some life issues happen to me and I'm working as I can

Feel free to PM me on Disc for specific updates. We will post here and on a future GB page when the PCB is done

Sorry for this, I'm doing what I can

Offline Zeelobby

« Reply #17 on: Mon, 17 February 2020, 12:42:51 »

Yeah, unfortunately I had some life issues happen to me and I'm working as I can

Feel free to PM me on Disc for specific updates. We will post here and on a future GB page when the PCB is done

Sorry for this, I'm doing what I can

Oh man, no worries, take care of yourself first. There's no massive rush, just excited for your cool design!

Offline baysic

« Reply #18 on: Wed, 01 July 2020, 08:05:30 »
I'm soo looking forward to this.
Hope things turn out nicely for you Gondolindrim.