Author Topic: [GB] Southpaw Full Size - Shipping and remanufacturing  (Read 106118 times)

Offline forumusername

Re: [GB] Southpaw Full Size - In Production
« Reply #100 on: Wed, 19 September 2018, 16:12:57 »
In case anyone didn't get it, there was an email update stating that machining has begun.
nice

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #101 on: Mon, 15 October 2018, 22:58:02 »
been a month, what's good
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline reconsiderit

• I'm actually not left handed www.switchplate.co
« Reply #102 on: Tue, 16 October 2018, 21:59:37 »
I haven't checked with the factory lately but they should be well done with CNC. I know that they haven't been finished yet since they're backed up on the finishing stage of things. From my rep, it sounds like they have a backlog of things since the SP65 cases that were CNCed two weeks ago still haven't been polished and deburred when I checked in with them yesterday. 

As far as PCBs go, I'm paying for them tonight and it shouldn't be long before they're done.

And on the packaging side of things, I need to grab quotes from a few places for foam. Will most likely be using standard double walled mailers.

And yes, we're still on track for the Q4 2018 / Q1 2019 ship date.
Southpaw 65 || Southpaw Full Size || Trinity XT TKL || TGR Jane V2 || TGR 910 RE || Duck Jetfire || Matrix Lab 1.2 OG || Jubi || Lunar || Lunar II || g80-1800 HEU

switchplate.co

Offline HappyCatFish

« Reply #103 on: Tue, 16 October 2018, 22:25:09 »
Excited to put this keyboard together! I just got a set of C3 Tangerine switches that I am thinking about tuning up for this board. I really like the idea of this becoming my work board!

Thanks for the update!

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #104 on: Tue, 16 October 2018, 22:31:17 »
I haven't checked with the factory lately but they should be well done with CNC. I know that they haven't been finished yet since they're backed up on the finishing stage of things. From my rep, it sounds like they have a backlog of things since the SP65 cases that were CNCed two weeks ago still haven't been polished and deburred when I checked in with them yesterday. 

As far as PCBs go, I'm paying for them tonight and it shouldn't be long before they're done.

And on the packaging side of things, I need to grab quotes from a few places for foam. Will most likely be using standard double walled mailers.

And yes, we're still on track for the Q4 2018 / Q1 2019 ship date.

sick, thanks

super excited for this
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline UsualSuspectXXX

• (⌐■_■)⊃━☆゚.*・。゚
« Reply #105 on: Wed, 17 October 2018, 07:00:52 »
Thanks for the update reconsiderit! Really looking forward to this beast =D

Offline Laughmaster

« Reply #106 on: Fri, 26 October 2018, 13:24:58 »
I just noticed that reconsiderit posted an update on Reddit yesterday that hadn't made its way here yet:

Acrylic plates were delivered earlier this week, but wrong files were sent for cutting. There are only a handful of them so they will be reordered and the ones that are on hand will be allocated to b-stock which will be available on the website shortly. The cases will be in queue for the hand finishing stage and should be finished around the beginning of December. Material for the plates have just arrived and will be cut shortly. These do not require any hand finishing (deburring, etc…) and are on schedule to be anodized with the cases by the time those finish up. PCB order was submitted with Lunar last week and should be finished shortly. We are on schedule for delivery mid Q1 2019.

Great to hear everything's on track for mid Q1 :thumb:

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #107 on: Sat, 27 October 2018, 12:02:23 »
I just noticed that reconsiderit posted an update on Reddit yesterday that hadn't made its way here yet:

Acrylic plates were delivered earlier this week, but wrong files were sent for cutting. There are only a handful of them so they will be reordered and the ones that are on hand will be allocated to b-stock which will be available on the website shortly. The cases will be in queue for the hand finishing stage and should be finished around the beginning of December. Material for the plates have just arrived and will be cut shortly. These do not require any hand finishing (deburring, etc…) and are on schedule to be anodized with the cases by the time those finish up. PCB order was submitted with Lunar last week and should be finished shortly. We are on schedule for delivery mid Q1 2019.

Great to hear everything's on track for mid Q1 :thumb:

awesome

gotta submit an address change but other than that i'm still hyped for this

i should buy switches

anyone got any suggestions? im doing half plate
« Last Edit: Sat, 27 October 2018, 12:04:01 by Puddsy »

Offline Myoth

« Reply #108 on: Wed, 31 October 2018, 06:37:57 »
found out I lost interest in this GB, so I'm selling my spot. I'm looking to get exactly how much I paid. pm for info

EDIT: dunno if requesting a refund would work, but I'd prefer since no fees would be lost to paypal
« Last Edit: Wed, 31 October 2018, 06:42:46 by Myoth »

Offline spooknik

« Reply #109 on: Wed, 31 October 2018, 16:00:39 »

i should buy switches

The V2 Zealios are suppose to be good if you're into tactile. i'll be putting some V2 Zilents in mine when it comes. I ordered an extra PCB and I might do lubed vint. blacks on that one.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #110 on: Wed, 31 October 2018, 16:16:45 »

i should buy switches

The V2 Zealios are suppose to be good if you're into tactile. i'll be putting some V2 Zilents in mine when it comes. I ordered an extra PCB and I might do lubed vint. blacks on that one.

I got PCB mount retooled blacks

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #111 on: Wed, 14 November 2018, 12:58:09 »
it's that time where i ask for an update again

Offline reconsiderit

« Reply #112 on: Wed, 14 November 2018, 22:10:27 »

So it turns out that they machined the side cutout incorrectly so those will be redone soon. They've tested fitted all the weights and bottoms so those fit together fine without any issues. On track for delivery sometime earlier next year.

The incorrectly machined part that I'm talking about are where the faces highlighted in blue meet. I'm assuming they were in the process of figuring out how to machine those faces from the top down and forgot about it. Luckily they compared it with the control unit that was finished when I was there.

Southpaw 65 || Southpaw Full Size || Trinity XT TKL || TGR Jane V2 || TGR 910 RE || Duck Jetfire || Matrix Lab 1.2 OG || Jubi || Lunar || Lunar II || g80-1800 HEU

switchplate.co

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #113 on: Wed, 14 November 2018, 22:35:19 »

So it turns out that they machined the side cutout incorrectly so those will be redone soon. They've tested fitted all the weights and bottoms so those fit together fine without any issues. On track for delivery sometime earlier next year.

Show Image

Show Image

The incorrectly machined part that I'm talking about are where the faces highlighted in blue meet. I'm assuming they were in the process of figuring out how to machine those faces from the top down and forgot about it. Luckily they compared it with the control unit that was finished when I was there.

certainly an odd problem

i don't see it at all but i'll certainly take your word for it, you know the design better than i do and also im blind

thanks for the update

Offline Myoth

« Reply #114 on: Tue, 20 November 2018, 15:47:55 »
found out I lost interest in this GB, so I'm selling my spot. I'm looking to get exactly how much I paid. pm for info

EDIT: dunno if requesting a refund would work, but I'd prefer since no fees would be lost to paypal
bump lmao
« Last Edit: Tue, 20 November 2018, 15:57:50 by Myoth »

Offline spooknik

« Reply #115 on: Wed, 19 December 2018, 01:01:31 »
Puddsy is late with his monthly check in, so I'll take up the reins.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #116 on: Wed, 19 December 2018, 19:29:56 »
Puddsy is late with his monthly check in, so I'll take up the reins.

ah sorry it got lost in the mess of finals

but yeah, where we at

Offline MTXjunkie

« Reply #117 on: Wed, 19 December 2018, 19:32:44 »
I’m way late to this and new to the hobby. Will there be extras for sale?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Offline spooknik

« Reply #118 on: Thu, 20 December 2018, 00:25:42 »

Not sure about extras, but Myoth is selling his spot in the group buy. Just look a few posts above.

Offline phorx

• ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
« Reply #119 on: Thu, 20 December 2018, 05:49:36 »

Not sure about extras, but Myoth is selling his spot in the group buy. Just look a few posts above.

That spot has been sold unfortunately.  I inquired about it just the other day.

Offline MTXjunkie

« Reply #120 on: Thu, 20 December 2018, 06:33:45 »

That spot has been sold unfortunately.  I inquired about it just the other day.

Thanks fellas. I appreciate the responses. I’ll keep my eyes open for extras.

Offline nevaenuf

« Reply #121 on: Thu, 03 January 2019, 13:37:31 »
So, how's the project going?  Any updates?

Offline reconsiderit

« Reply #122 on: Thu, 03 January 2019, 23:22:52 »
So, how's the project going?  Any updates?

At the moment, they're doing a test run of anodizing each of the units in each color and they've found some unevenness in the red that they're trying to correct. At the moment, they're not sure the cause, but I'll keep you guys updated.

They'll be remaking cases that dont quite meet expectations so I may have a handful of b-stock extras at the end.

switchplate.co

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #123 on: Wed, 16 January 2019, 09:49:26 »
Selling my spot in this GB.

Black WKL, no weight, red alu half plate, PCB, stabs.

Reconsiderit is already aware and will change the address on my order when you buy the spot from me.

PM me.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #124 on: Mon, 21 January 2019, 14:01:40 »
Selling my spot in this GB.

Black WKL, no weight, red alu half plate, PCB, stabs.

Reconsiderit is already aware and will change the address on my order when you buy the spot from me.

PM me.

still available

Offline reconsiderit

« Reply #125 on: Mon, 04 February 2019, 21:35:21 »
It's CNY and the factory that's making these is taking a break. Update here:

https://switchplate.co/blogs/news/early-february-group-buy-updates

switchplate.co

Offline UsualSuspectXXX

• (⌐■_■)⊃━☆゚.*・。゚
« Reply #126 on: Mon, 04 February 2019, 22:10:35 »
Yay, updates! Thanks reconsiderit

Offline forumusername

« Reply #127 on: Mon, 04 March 2019, 17:32:59 »
What if someone hypothetically wanted to change colors is it too late  :blank:

Offline reconsiderit

« Reply #128 on: Tue, 05 March 2019, 00:39:57 »

They're almost done. It's a little late for color changes.

switchplate.co

Offline spooknik

« Reply #129 on: Tue, 05 March 2019, 00:41:21 »

Hey there, I send an email to you about changing my shipping address. Is it too late for that?

Offline reconsiderit

« Reply #130 on: Tue, 05 March 2019, 23:31:55 »

Hey there, I send an email to you about changing my shipping address. Is it too late for that?

I got that email. Been a little busy lately but I'll do it tonight.

switchplate.co

Offline architones

« Reply #131 on: Sun, 17 March 2019, 18:11:38 »
reconsiderit, how's the project going? Any photos of the board?

Offline nevaenuf

« Reply #132 on: Thu, 28 March 2019, 18:12:26 »
reconsiderit, how's the project going? Any photos of the board?

I'd like to know as well.  Any updates?

Offline nevaenuf

« Reply #133 on: Thu, 28 March 2019, 18:21:29 »

Offline UsualSuspectXXX

• (⌐■_■)⊃━☆゚.*・。゚
« Reply #134 on: Thu, 28 March 2019, 18:30:13 »

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #135 on: Thu, 18 April 2019, 17:29:14 »
ne update avail

just curious if i'll be able to get this in time for keycon

Offline architones

« Reply #136 on: Thu, 18 April 2019, 17:56:06 »
This was the latest Discord update on April 16th:

"Waiting to hear back from my rep again, but they should be done now. Apparently the bottoms weren't done last I checked in with them
I should be checking in with them a little more often but work and school is all over the place at the moment so I haven't had a proper chance to sit down and reorganize
I'm expecting anodization to be completed in about 1-2 weeks after which the factory will be assembling them and shipping them to me
I'll put up an update on my website soon with more details once I know more"

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #137 on: Thu, 18 April 2019, 18:38:14 »
This was the latest Discord update on April 16th:

"Waiting to hear back from my rep again, but they should be done now. Apparently the bottoms weren't done last I checked in with them
I should be checking in with them a little more often but work and school is all over the place at the moment so I haven't had a proper chance to sit down and reorganize
I'm expecting anodization to be completed in about 1-2 weeks after which the factory will be assembling them and shipping them to me
I'll put up an update on my website soon with more details once I know more"

thank you my friend

Offline Laughmaster

« Reply #138 on: Wed, 24 April 2019, 07:53:29 »
Noticed reconsiderit posted a new update on his site:

SOUTHPAW FULL SIZE

According to my factory contact during the last update, only the CNC was completed and not hand finishing. Will update soon as I get a clear answer from the rep on what the status of the boards are.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #139 on: Wed, 24 April 2019, 12:52:35 »

SOUTHPAW FULL SIZE

According to my factory contact during the last update, only the CNC was completed and not hand finishing. Will update soon as I get a clear answer from the rep on what the status of the boards are.

Yikes

Offline spooknik

« Reply #140 on: Thu, 02 May 2019, 03:29:19 »

SOUTHPAW FULL SIZE

So any update on this update? How much are things delayed?

Offline Darknight00z

« Reply #141 on: Thu, 02 May 2019, 03:47:23 »
Its currently holiday for China (labor week), they get back to work next week.

Offline Laughmaster

« Reply #142 on: Fri, 03 May 2019, 10:51:21 »
Another update on the website:

SOUTHPAW 65+ AND SOUTHPAW FS
Had a long talk with the factory over these two projects and it seems that the reason they're not being done at an adequate pace is that they've pushed other things ahead of it due to order volume. This factory is a larger one and also handles orders that are many times larger than what we are doing. It's understandable that they prioritize those orders but I have cleared the issue up with them and will try to get things made as soon as possible. I am still discussing with the rep to see when the boards will be completed so I can give everyone a concrete ETA.

Southpaw Fullsize is being hand finished right now. They've found some issues I've pointed out during my visit and are remaking some parts such as the tops due to inconsistencies in the chamfers. The remaining units that do not have this issue are being serialized and hand finished in order to achieve the 'seamless' look. I will see what the situation on the remade tops are and decide on how anodizing will progress once I know.

Pantone colors for Southpaw 65 have been sent to the manufacturer. They should be starting shortly. I'll request pictures as they finish up.

Edit: He linked a picture of the inconsistencies in the chamfers in there: https://i.imgur.com/SkMTEK6.jpg
« Last Edit: Fri, 03 May 2019, 13:07:31 by Laughmaster »

Offline spooknik

« Reply #143 on: Sat, 04 May 2019, 00:41:05 »
Another update on the website:

SOUTHPAW 65+ AND SOUTHPAW FS
Had a long talk with the factory over these two projects and it seems that the reason they're not being done at an adequate pace is that they've pushed other things ahead of it due to order volume. This factory is a larger one and also handles orders that are many times larger than what we are doing. It's understandable that they prioritize those orders but I have cleared the issue up with them and will try to get things made as soon as possible. I am still discussing with the rep to see when the boards will be completed so I can give everyone a concrete ETA.

Southpaw Fullsize is being hand finished right now. They've found some issues I've pointed out during my visit and are remaking some parts such as the tops due to inconsistencies in the chamfers. The remaining units that do not have this issue are being serialized and hand finished in order to achieve the 'seamless' look. I will see what the situation on the remade tops are and decide on how anodizing will progress once I know.

Pantone colors for Southpaw 65 have been sent to the manufacturer. They should be starting shortly. I'll request pictures as they finish up.

Edit: He linked a picture of the inconsistencies in the chamfers in there: https://i.imgur.com/SkMTEK6.jpg

Well, I think it's safe to take my 3 weeks of vacation next week and not worry about it showing up.

Offline reconsiderit

« Reply #144 on: Thu, 09 May 2019, 00:35:19 »
Just wanted to let everyone know that the updates will be going on the switchplate webstore from now on. I'll put small things here, but please look for them there from time to time. I'm trying to get them out every now and then so nobody feels like I've left things in the dark.

Small update from my rep today, but they've found some more issues while assembling the cases for hand finishing. Again, its mostly an issue with the top and the accuracy of the CNC machining. Below is everything that has passed step 1 of QC.

switchplate.co

Offline UsualSuspectXXX

• (⌐■_■)⊃━☆゚.*・。゚
« Reply #145 on: Thu, 09 May 2019, 10:25:01 »
Always great to see pictures of progress (even if small).
Thanks for the update reconsiderit  :thumb:

Offline architones

« Reply #146 on: Thu, 09 May 2019, 10:30:32 »
Appreciate the update! Will these boards that passed Stage 1 QC move on to anodizing?

Offline reconsiderit

« Reply #147 on: Thu, 09 May 2019, 15:16:10 »
Appreciate the update! Will these boards that passed Stage 1 QC move on to anodizing?

I will see how long it will take for the factory to remake said defective tops and bottoms. they'll most likely wait for the new ones to finish up then be sandblasted and then anodized right after so that they don't oxidize between now and then.

switchplate.co

Offline E.E.L. Ambiense

• Acrylic Heretic
    • E.E.L. Ambiense Industries
« Reply #148 on: Thu, 09 May 2019, 15:18:46 »
Any chance of extras on your site after GB fulfillment, or perhaps factory seconds?
Case modder by trade; mech-deck'r for fun!

Offline reconsiderit

« Reply #149 on: Thu, 09 May 2019, 16:36:49 »
Any chance of extras on your site after GB fulfillment, or perhaps factory seconds?

I have b-stock pre production units on hand right now. I have 3 or 4 extras I've ordered from the factory that should be a-stock

switchplate.co