Author Topic: [IC] GMK Electronics (Cherry OEM) Colored Esc's, Modifier Sets, CMYK, Number Row  (Read 108743 times)

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
They could pad print, but they said it would increase the cost significantly. I swore I saw a Cherry board once that had an 'Fn' legend, but maybe it was only in a dream lol. I guess we could have substitute 'Layer', but I think blank is good as it is much more versatile obviously.

Offline Acetrak

• ssk.ℜ
  • gnawm_
Oops, NEVERMIND :-X

Offline Acetrak

• ssk.ℜ
  • gnawm_
Original Cherry winkey and menu keys for doubleshot sets were all pad printed. Hence why they did not have legends for them.

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
Cherry/GMK pad print is really good though. Sure it's not as good as doubleshot but it's the option for more complex legend, dual legend with other color, etc.

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
The only reason I don't like the pad printing is because it feels different from all the other keys :(
Vendor Status: Sadly, not taking any orders/pre-orders at this time

Vendor Quick Links: | Vendor Forum | Hardwood Wrist Rests | Hardwood 60% Cases | Customer Gallery | Giveaway |

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
It feel exactly like other Cherry abs key to me. Cherry has not any riased painting like some others do. Also so many people seem to mistake pad print Cherry for dyesub they can't be too bad.

Offline jeroplane

Cherry pad-print is fantastic. And considering the number of times you'd touch the Winkey/Fn as opposed to the alphas, it will hardly be enough to wear it down as it is very durable. I mean look at the old boards people have found - the pad printing is still intact after so many years (on my 11900, the pad-printing is almost as white as the doubleshots).

But that's besides the point since we are not going to go that route anyway :)

GMK responded, phew.  Looks like they agreed to our MOQs =)  (400 for Esc pack, 300 for everything else)

GB thread will go up in the next couple days.  Might need some help with mockups if anyone has some time....

On the point about MOQ, really great to hear that they are agreeable to lower numbers. 300 sounds very achievable across all the forums :) And people will no doubt be buying multiple Esc packs, so 400 for that should be easy.

I can help with mock-ups if needed. It would be a lot easier if I had hash's templates to work with, though :)
« Last Edit: Mon, 17 December 2012, 16:28:46 by jeroplane »

My signature hasn't changed since 2012. I should really update it.

Offline aggiejy

• ** Moderator Emeritus
I gotchu Dan ;)

Since windows and menu keys were always pad printed, is it possible to get those legends pad printed instead of blanks with the mod pack?

Anything but a Windows logo! :)

Offline gbohn

> (on my 11900, the pad-printing is almost as white as the doubleshots).

Attached is an image of some of the keys from a Cherry G81-7000H and (I think) a G80-8113H (white on black)..

In real-life, the Flag and Menu look slightly blue-gray (to me) compared to the  Double-shot text (Ctrl/Control/Alt/M, etc.).

I've always been a bit sad that I didn't have a DS version of the Menu/Windows keys  :( (Not that the pad printed ones are hideous or anything...)

Offline GMC

• Shiny.
If GMK will not do smaller quantities then they are the bad guy, not an American company wanting to sell American keyboards.

FTFY
WASD V1 - waiting on R4... - MX Brown
KBT Pure - Zinc caps - MX Brown
Cherry G80-1800 ISO WKL - SkiData caps - MX Clear

Offline Soarer

• * Elevated Elder
EK, if you release any of those sets you WILL be crushing the opertunity for multi legend sets...
Please tell Lysol / Dan your plans, I'm sure they can both keep a secret and can steer this whole project in the right direction.
I don't fully understand what you are suggesting here. I think you are suggesting that if I want to buy a keyboard set from elitekeyboards, or some other keyboard oriented site then I have to get extra keys for Swedish, German, and other languages included. I think a better alternative would be for smaller group buys for just those specific keys that other languages need to enhance other sets. If GMK will not do smaller quantities then they are the bad guy, not an American company wanting to sell English keyboards. It is a nice gesture to try and support more languages but at what point do you stop holding back the majority for the benefit of the minority?

I don't think that's what's being suggested there at all.

And I don't think it's only a problem for multi-legend sets.

Here's the worst case scenario. An interest check starts and gets a good response. A sneaky vendor takes a risk and orders just the core, tenkeyless, set directly. They come up for sale before the group buy even starts collecting money. Sure, it costs more than in the group buy, because of profit margin, but maybe not much more if the GB includes numpad keys (I'm not even considering languages for now). Some people jump ship - they get what they want and it arrives within a couple of days. GB fails to meet the MOQ. Game over.

I'm not saying any particular vendor would do that, but it's a possibility.
« Last Edit: Tue, 18 December 2012, 14:44:40 by Soarer »

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
somebody explain something to me that i dont think i'm getting.

people are complaining about EK not having language packs and just picking up regular ansi base sets right?

how many people are in need of those language packs? who else is going to pick up the tab to reach the MOQ? or are they going to be added to a base set that most people won't use and don't want to pay for.
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline Alessandro

• * Vendor
  • The Price Is Right
    • Alessandro's Sweet Shop
I'm an english guy who loves US ANSI.

KBC Poker | MX Reds | Beige Doubleshots
Goldtouch 10Key Pad | MX Browns | Beige Doubleshots
IBM Model M-122 Terminal (Bolt modded) | Buckling Springs | Beige Dyesubs

Alessandro's Sweet Shop- "I never said they were art."

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
I don't know, sounds like complaining to complain to me. I wouldn't expect US vendor to offer other options. Just as I wouldn't expect to find Japanese sets in Germany.
Usual putting the cart before the horse. Relax, and offer constructive ideas for the full set groupbuy in the spring. Hopefully by then we can have all the details ironed out on how it will work and what will be offered so it will go smoothly.
However once again I will kindly ask to take all converstaion not pertaining to this buy into the more general GMK keycap thread.
Thanks.
« Last Edit: Tue, 18 December 2012, 16:10:36 by lysol »

Offline DanGWanG

• Higher Standards
    • DanGWanG's Keyboard Blog
WTB Mockup help, templates, etc.  Lysol and I are still really crunched for time and need a little assistance for developing mockups for the sets in the OP.  Most of the text for the GB is ready to go, just need some visual pull =)  Any help is appreciated and can be compensated for their time.

Offline danielucf

• Horrible Mailman
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Hmmmm beer.
WTB Mockup help, templates, etc.  Lysol and I are still really crunched for time and need a little assistance for developing mockups for the sets in the OP.  Most of the text for the GB is ready to go, just need some visual pull =)  Any help is appreciated and can be compensated for their time.
Turn on the bat signal :p

Batmann makes awesome mock ups.
VE.A 67g Zealios | GH60 MX Clears |

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
I can help if you need. Maybe I can modify one of batmann's mockups...

No Photoshop, only Gimp.
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
  • Sorry, moving houses. Be back ASAP.
    • Tweet samwisekoi

I can help.  Are you looking for anything prettier than this:

10323-0

This was harder:

10325-1

This took a bit of effort:

10334-2
Modified version of an image from lysol's collection

- Ron | samwisekoi
« Last Edit: Tue, 18 December 2012, 19:15:00 by samwisekoi »
I like keyboards and case modding.  Everything about a computer should be silent -- except the KEYBOARD!

'85 IBM F-122/Soarer Keyboard |  Leopold FC200 TKL (Browns) + GH36 Keypad (Browns/Greens) | GH-122 (Whites/Greens) with Nuclear Data Green keycaps in a Unicomp case

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
Basically we need extension of what hasbaz made here also showing the 1x and 1.5, ISO enter, etc... something similar for CMYK, and all 3 of the Esc key colorways.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help us out on this.

Offline litster

• rare caps?! THAT'S A SMILIN
samwisekoi's mockups look a lot better.  They look real. 

Offline jeroplane

If you guys are strapped for time, all I need is a source file for the Cherry font and I can make some mockups tonight :)

Do you guys also want mockups to show exactly what keys will be included in each pack (i.e. without the full keyboard)?

Offline Sai

I can help.  Are you looking for anything prettier than this:

This was harder:

(Attachment Link)

This took a bit of effort:

(Attachment Link)
Modified version of an image from lysol's collection

- Ron | samwisekoi

Those 2 are really nice.  ;D
- WTB/WTT - Cotton Candy Brobot V2

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
    • Tweet samwisekoi
Basically we need extension of what hasbaz made here also showing the 1x and 1.5, ISO enter, etc... something similar for CMYK, and all 3 of the Esc key colorways.
Show Image

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help us out on this.

E-mail me that SVG and the colors and variations you want and I'll mock them up.

- Ron | samwisekoi

p.s.  Thanks litster and hoshidishi!
I like keyboards and case modding.  Everything about a computer should be silent -- except the KEYBOARD!

'85 IBM F-122/Soarer Keyboard |  Leopold FC200 TKL (Browns) + GH36 Keypad (Browns/Greens) | GH-122 (Whites/Greens) with Nuclear Data Green keycaps in a Unicomp case

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
If I had such a file I would have knocked it out quick myself.

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
    • Tweet samwisekoi
If I had such a file I would have knocked it out quick myself.

Ah.  Ok, can do anyhow.

I'll pop up some samples later today.

- Ron | samwisekoi

Offline Oproer

http://imgur.com/a/Ow7e7

Is this any use to you?
« Last Edit: Wed, 19 December 2012, 13:37:53 by Oproer »

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
If you could do someting like that which showed all the keys that would be absolutely perfect.

Offline Batmann

here is the template I did for the mock-ups
I tried to make it easy to use
Seeing what  Sam and Matteo already did I'm not worried (although you can PM if need be)
I plan to do a wiki but I didn't have the chance yet  =[

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
    • Tweet samwisekoi
here is the template I did for the mock-ups
I tried to make it easy to use
Seeing what  Sam and Matteo already did I'm not worried (although you can PM if need be)
I plan to do a wiki but I didn't have the chance yet  =[

Thanks.  I can use that in Inkscape, but it has different symbols than hashbaz used.  Does that matter?

- Ron
« Last Edit: Wed, 19 December 2012, 17:50:36 by samwisekoi »

Offline danielucf

• Horrible Mailman
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Hmmmm beer.
...all I need is a source file for the Cherry font and I can make some mockups tonight :)
I wish that existed. Then anyone could make mock ups themselves for the most part. That Cherry font is guarded like Fort Knox.
VE.A 67g Zealios | GH60 MX Clears |

Offline jeroplane

...all I need is a source file for the Cherry font and I can make some mockups tonight :)
I wish that existed. Then anyone could make mock ups themselves for the most part. That Cherry font is guarded like Fort Knox.

Hash's mockups seem to be pretty damn close! Most likely due to his work with the replica font project.

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
I keep meaning to post up my Cherry legend for all to have, but I need somewhere more reasonable to have it hosted than my gdrive. Preferably multiple mirror somewheres.

Offline hashbaz

• Grand Ancient One
  • * Moderator Emeritus
The original reason for keeping the source SVGs from the replica project under lock and key was to avoid people exploiting them for profit.  Since the community is paying for the legends, the idea was to make them available through SP for group buys, but to guard the source files carefully to avoid knock-offs.

With GMK now producing new authentic Cherry 2-shots, perhaps this policy can be loosened.  But as of now, it stands.

I want to be clear that I don't distrust lysol or danielucf or samwise, but the fewer people that have access to the files, the smaller the chance that they will leak and become generally available.

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
    • Tweet samwisekoi
The original reason for keeping the source SVGs from the replica project under lock and key was to avoid people exploiting them for profit.  Since the community is paying for the legends, the idea was to make them available through SP for group buys, but to guard the source files carefully to avoid knock-offs.

With GMK now producing new authentic Cherry 2-shots, perhaps this policy can be loosened.  But as of now, it stands.

I want to be clear that I don't distrust lysol or danielucf or samwise, but the fewer people that have access to the files, the smaller the chance that they will leak and become generally available.

Good call.  Spooks say that the risk of a leak increases to the power of the people who know a secret.

I'll use a generic font for mockups.

- Ron | samwisekoi

Offline SmallFry

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • Leaving 6/15; returning 6/22 or so.
It'd be cool if we could get them in a TTF, but that's off topic...carry on.

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
I on the other hand don't really give a flying f*ck what people may do with my legend files... have at them.

Offline DanGWanG

• Higher Standards
I on the other hand don't really give a flying f*ck what people may do with my legend files... have at them.

Ho ho ho!  Merry Christmas!

Offline phetto

• HHKB JP
  • * Elevated Elder
So what happened here? Which set is final?
Updates plz.. :D :P :)

Offline emptythecache

• out.
I kind of stopped paying attention to this thread, so this was probably mentioned, but we should do a full Black on yellow (think YBP) set.

Offline jeroplane

So what happened here? Which set is final?
Updates plz.. :D :P :)

I don't think anything has changed to these results, except that the Number Pack won't be happening and there were doubts about the CMYK:

Current Polling Results

Totals as of 12/12/12 (whoaaaaa):
Modifier Pack:  White/Purple (39), White/Blue (38), White/Green (35), White/Brown (26)
Number Pack:  White/Blue (39), White/Purple (39), White/Green (35), White/Red (33)
Esc Pack:  Red/White (87), White/Purple (67), White/Green (58), White/Blue (56)

Interests:
Modifier Pack 161/186 87%
Number Pack 109/186 57%
Esc Pack 162/186 87%
CMYK 124/186 67%
« Last Edit: Thu, 20 December 2012, 09:36:59 by jeroplane »

Offline GMC

• Shiny.
Think I posted this on DT but happy to take a couple of cmyk to help keep them in
WASD V1 - waiting on R4... - MX Brown
KBT Pure - Zinc caps - MX Brown
Cherry G80-1800 ISO WKL - SkiData caps - MX Clear

Offline phetto

• HHKB JP
  • * Elevated Elder
[IC] GMK Electronics (Cherry OEM) Colored Esc's, Modifier Sets, CMYK, Number Row
« Reply #441 on: Thu, 20 December 2012, 10:38:05 »
I was hoping that this would be a plain set with some awesome legend color. Example grey keycaps with purple legends xD

Offline DanGWanG

• Higher Standards
Just a quick status update.  We provided the mockups to GMK and they are currently reviewing it.  If all goes well, GB thread should go up soon, hopefully.

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
awesome news :D

Offline KuhnTang

• Game of Thrones
count me in if it does

Offline Oproer

Is this dying out or did I already miss the GB?

Offline Acetrak

• ssk.ℜ
  • gnawm_
I believe we are currently waiting on pricing. The GB has not open yet. Hold on to your hats :)

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
GMK probably closed for the holidays or something, we were waiting on a final pricing and confirmation.

Offline fuus

• All Year Christmas!
GMK, go back to work you slackers :D
Filco - Browns

Past: Ergodox - Reds / IBM SSK / Spirit 87% - Clears / Dell AT101W

Offline reverkiller

I'm hopeful about this! But I'm not sure how long it will take them to get there  :))
Stockpile: Das Keyboard Ultimate (Blues), Ducky YotD (Reds), Model M ('87), Poker (Reds), Siig Minitouch (ALPS) || In Progress: Phantom || Wishlist: Filco Japanese Layout (Browns)