geekhack Community > Keyboards

Unpopular Keyboard Opinions

(1/1261) > >>

limitz:
Let's hear them.

I'll start off.

1. I hate 60% boards, and rarely use my Poker 2. The lack of arrow keys kills me, and I can never be productive or get serious work done on one.

2. I think HHKB boards are overrated, and the layout dumber than a Poker. I think custom MX, HHKB layout boards are just as stupid (Viper, Happy).

3. I think Topre is overrated, and lower quality than MX (despite the higher price) as the board tends to get stiffer over time.

munch:
3 and 2 I mostly agree with... but the layout of HHKB is sort of personal preference. I personally don't like it.
60% boards + numpad is the way to go in regards to #1 IMO. then you get arrow keys + other keys for productivity, and numbers if you are into that.
and you can just put it away if you need the space more. but the main reason I guess is because I have my mouse + kb quite close to one another, and prefer space on the right side of the kb.
so it just feels nicer on the left side.

Fragil1ty:

--- Quote from: munch on Thu, 06 November 2014, 23:06:07 ---3 and 2 I mostly agree with... but the layout of HHKB is sort of personal preference. I personally don't like it.
60% boards + numpad is the way to go in regards to #1 IMO. then you get arrow keys + other keys for productivity, and numbers if you are into that.
and you can just put it away if you need the space more. but the main reason I guess is because I have my mouse + kb quite close to one another, and prefer space on the right side of the kb.
so it just feels nicer on the left side.

--- End quote ---

1. I cannot stand 60% boards either, I don't think they look attractive what so ever and although using a HHKB was an enjoyable experience, I couldn't ever use it as my daily driver.

2. I don't like TKL boards, I think they're too big, but I'm currently forcing myself to change because of bad past experiences with 75% boards.

3. I don't think the HHKB is over-rated per say, but I do think they're a bit overpriced.

4. I cannot stand blank keycaps, I think they are a waste of money and just do not look that appealing/attractive to me. (I'm currently using Leopold stealth keys, side printed keycaps essentially and I can only just tolerate using these).

5. I think a lot of these esc key replacements, the gas masks, the helmets and all that kind of stuff are just repulsive and why someone would want to put that on their keyboard in the first place is beyond me.

jdcarpe:
Yes, the HHKB layout is definitely a personal preference. It's not for everyone. While I love the layout, some people can never get used to it.

But as to Topre getting stiffer over time, what evidence do you have of that happening? Have you used a Topre over a period of years and measured the force curve over a long time span?

keymaster:
60% keyboards aren't practical, even with the programmable layers. I liken it to people who build their linux distros "from the ground up". They're just senselessly creating a rabbit hole of unnecessary work.

Artisan keycaps are just plastic at the end of the day -- people often forget that.

Any mixing of keycap sets or keycap material is blasphemous. Also, the keyboards with entire rows of artisan keycaps. Offenders should be taken out and shot.

Topre is not overrated. 55g feels delicious as ****, but they could get tiresome when using for hours on end.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version