Author Topic: Trackball with separate scroll wheel?  (Read 3455 times)

Offline lorem3k

• http://twitter.com/#!/lorem3k
Trackball with separate scroll wheel?
« on: Mon, 13 February 2012, 17:55:11 »
I've been thinking about purchasing a trackball, but it seems that most of them don't have a scroll wheel. I'd prefer an ambidextrous layout with the ball on top rather than a thumb-ball like the Logitech M570. The "Scroll Ring" on some of the Kensington balls looks nice, but I'd prefer a traditional scroll wheel. Do I have any options other than the Logitech?
Leopold FC200RT/AWN | Logitech G400 | Sennheiser HD25-1 II | Pounds in the fridge, hundred stacks in the armoire

Offline boli

« Reply #1 on: Mon, 13 February 2012, 18:01:15 »
Hmm, I bought an M570 recently for my living room HTPC. I got tired of moving the mouse around next to me on the couch, so I thought I'd give a trackball a try. Since it's my first one I have no point of reference, but it feels pretty good. I think I wouldn't have minded a larger ball, possibly for finger use. Either way, for this application I'm quite happy with it. Don't think I'd want one on my main computer to play games though. ;)

Will be watching this thread out of interest, a scroll wheel is nice to have - I use it to scrub position in VLC. :)
Keyboard: Kinesis Ergo Advantage (two LF editions with red Cherry switches, one regular with brown switches)
Keyboard layout: basically Colemak, with some remapping to end up with my custom Kinesis Advantage layout
Typing test profiles: typeracer.com / hi-games.net / keybr.com

Offline kidchunks

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 13 February 2012, 19:54:59 »
http://www.clearlysuperiortech.com/

I have the L-Trac (CST2545W-RC) and I love it!
Topre || BS > *
my root : kidchunks[dot]com

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
Lorem Ipsum
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 14 February 2012, 12:53:10 »
Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco laboris nisi ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat. Duis aute irure dolor in reprehenderit in voluptate velit esse cillum dolore eu fugiat nulla pariatur. Excepteur sint occaecat cupidatat non proident, sunt in culpa qui officia deserunt mollit anim id est laborum.
« Last Edit: Wed, 04 July 2018, 03:40:55 by davkol »

Offline DesktopJinx

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 15 February 2012, 19:41:42 »
I know you said you wanted a wheel, but...

I wasn't so sure about the Kensington scroll ring, but I'd lost my old Logitech marble mouse and wanted something small and left-friendly, so I gave it a shot. Now I wish I had one at work, and I wish there was a way it could be incorporated with mice. The wheel is a repetitive-motion nightmare by comparison. I think of it this way --

scroll ring : scroll wheel :: bicycle : kick scooter

Consider trying a scroll ring. It's smooth, speedy, accurate, good for short and long scrolls, and lends itself to different techniques.
M15 for life

Offline boli

« Reply #5 on: Thu, 16 February 2012, 02:23:34 »
Interesting comparison, DesktopJinx. :)

I found [VIDEO] Clearly Superior Technologies L-Trac X vs Kensington Slimblade by chance and thought the Slimblade's way of scrolling was intriguing as well.
Keyboard: Kinesis Ergo Advantage (two LF editions with red Cherry switches, one regular with brown switches)
Keyboard layout: basically Colemak, with some remapping to end up with my custom Kinesis Advantage layout
Typing test profiles: typeracer.com / hi-games.net / keybr.com