Author Topic: Using a TMK converted JIS layout keyboard with English/Chinese input method  (Read 3163 times)

Offline akkk44

Recently I got my hands on an IBM 5576 Japanese keyboard. While using a cheap PS2-USB converter, everything works fine.
By "fine", I mean that the characters and punctuation marks are exactly same with the key caps. For example, I can input the " mark with shift+2 with no problem.

However, when I switched to a TMK converter for better flexibility, I ran into trouble really soon. The shift+2 key combination no longer inputs " , it now inputs @ as it is on a 101/102 key English keyboard.
To get the input and the key caps aligned, I have to modify the registry of Windows to force the English input method to use the 106 key layout DLL file. Which can be really annoying because I am hooking up the 5576 with my laptop, which has a 101/102 key English layout.

Is there a way to let the TMK converter just work as the cheap dumb PS2-USB converter, while maintaining the flexibility of TMK?

Thanks in advance!

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
So keyboard -> cheap adaptor -> laptop works but keyboard ->TMK USB2USB -> laptop has random remapping?  That is strange.

What happens if you use both adaptors? (probably it will just complain about power but you never know...)

Another option would be to see what key Aqua Key Test thinks you're pressing, might reveal something strange.
« Last Edit: Fri, 26 August 2022, 06:02:53 by suicidal_orange »
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod