Author Topic: Is it possible to remove the side-print of GMK keycaps?  (Read 4764 times)

Offline KHAANNN

Is it possible to remove the side-print of GMK keycaps?
« on: Mon, 13 July 2015, 13:51:58 »
I have no GMK keycap set myself, but most of the GMK sets that I like have side-prints that I absolutely hate

For example the @ side print on the '" keycap

Is it possible to just scrub/remove them without leaving a trace? (or much of a trace)
Endgame | 1.25 Cmd for GMK Sets Please | Or Just 1.25 Blanks Like The Good Old Days

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
Re: Is it possible to remove the side-print of GMK keycaps?
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 13 July 2015, 17:36:19 »
They're pad printed, so you should be able to remove them.  I'm sure there's some solvent that could do the job without marring the plastic.  What that solvent is is a mystery to me though.

Offline CaplockJack

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 13 July 2015, 19:50:09 »
I have no GMK keycap set myself, but most of the GMK sets that I like have side-prints that I absolutely hate

Is it possible to just scrub/remove them without leaving a trace? (or much of a trace)

Try Magic Eraser

Offline KHAANNN

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 13 July 2015, 20:06:19 »

Try Magic Eraser

Interesting :)

Never seen the product, just google/researched it, not available locally

Normal soft erasers might also work, I use them to remove adhesive stains, but they might also affect the side-shine of the keycap
Endgame | 1.25 Cmd for GMK Sets Please | Or Just 1.25 Blanks Like The Good Old Days

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 13 July 2015, 22:25:40 »
Magic Eraser is an abrasive, like super fine sandpaper or steel wool.  A normal eraser should not do anything to the pad printing.

Offline radio_killah

• Chinchillin'
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 14 July 2015, 00:40:37 »
Isoproyl alcohol. It removed the red pad printed cyrillic legends on clacktalk's originative cyrillic set.

But oh make sure to use a diluted version. Don't use 100%

Offline KHAANNN

« Reply #6 on: Tue, 14 July 2015, 06:43:14 »
Isoproyl alcohol. It removed the red pad printed cyrillic legends on clacktalk's originative cyrillic set.

Wow that is an invaluable piece of information, thank you, I'm sure many (or probably 2-3 :) people will google this in the future and thank you too :)

Do you have any photos of the process / a suggested concentration to use / a description of the process/pace?

Offline radio_killah

• Chinchillin'
« Reply #7 on: Tue, 14 July 2015, 11:15:15 »

Wow that is an invaluable piece of information, thank you, I'm sure many (or probably 2-3 :) people will google this in the future and thank you too :)

Do you have any photos of the process / a suggested concentration to use / a description of the process/pace?

No photos but I have seen them in person and they got almost completely wiped off. I forgot his concentration but I think it was like 50/50 with water. It was quite funny to be honest since he only had the intention of cleaning the surface of the keycaps.

Offline KHAANNN

« Reply #8 on: Tue, 14 July 2015, 11:17:24 »
lol :D

Offline Dreamre

• kbdlife
« Reply #9 on: Tue, 14 July 2015, 11:43:06 »
Nail polish remover/acetone will also remove it, but it will also melt the ABS plastic. Perhaps you may have some luck diluting it?

Offline KHAANNN

« Reply #10 on: Tue, 14 July 2015, 11:46:00 »
Nail polish remover/acetone will also remove it, but it will also melt the ABS plastic. Perhaps you may have some luck diluting it?

nope that would never work, at least acetone wouldn't work

I guess I might try some ripster style experiments If I need to remove the side prints, starting with isopropyl alcohol, in the meantime, I found a non-side printed set to use, so I will probably never pursue the idea unless something happens to the keycaps that I use/plan to use

Offline Dreamre

• kbdlife
« Reply #11 on: Mon, 24 August 2015, 11:11:24 »
For those who are wondering, isopropyl alcohol (70% and 99%) cannot remove the side prints. I tried it myself.

Offline laminam

« Reply #12 on: Wed, 09 September 2015, 23:27:22 »
For those who are wondering, isopropyl alcohol (70% and 99%) cannot remove the side prints. I tried it myself.

Thank you for the keyboard science.