Author Topic: Vortex Backlit Doubleshot PBT Keycaps  (Read 3597 times)

Offline Abula

Vortex Backlit Doubleshot PBT Keycaps
« on: Wed, 19 August 2015, 13:40:52 »
Hi,

I'm very interested on trying out the Vortex Backlit Doubleshot PBT Keycaps, probably will buy black and white and make a combo. 

But i come to you to see what would be a good keyboard for them.  Im not a big fan of RGB led, a lot of times i end up with white led and be happy, but certainly not closed to another color.

I was considering the Vortex PFCN6800 KBTalking ONE White LED Backlit Mechanical Keyboard (Grey Cherry MX), i more a brown switch kinda a guy, but seems interesting the Grey switch, seems would be similar just a little more resistance.  But im not closed on the keyboard yet, if you guys have any other suggestions im open, what i do want is all to fit perfect, i mean all keys, don't want to deal with spacebar being longer or the ctrl/windows key being 1 instead of 1.5, etc. 

Appreciate any suggestions or recommendations for backlight keyboards below $200, that will work with the Vortex Dobleshot Backlit PBT.

Thanks for your time,
Topre Realforce 87UD 10th Anniversary Edition || Vortex Race 3 || Ducky Shine 5 RGB || Filco Majestouch 104 || Logitech G810

Offline inanis

• Truly Literally The Cloud
  • * Destiny Supporter
    • SEALWoodworking
Re: Vortex Backlit Doubleshot PBT Keycaps
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 19 August 2015, 13:53:51 »
No one can tell you what kind of board will work best for you, but there are a bunch of options. For compatibility with the caps just make sure that whatever board you pick has LEDs on the top of the switch, not on the bottom. The legends will only illuminate with top mounted LEDs.

Good luck!
Some hearts are gallows, I'm not here for hangin' around

Offline XMIT

• formerly jsoltren
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 19 August 2015, 13:56:53 »
The trouble with these key caps is that, for keys that have two legends (like the num row), they won't be evenly backlit if the source of backlighting is a point (a single LED under the key cap). Now if the entire key switch were uniformly illuminated these would work great! But it's often not.

On most keyboards I can only see the shift symbols above the numbers on the num row, not the numbers themselves.

Offline quake4mhg

« Reply #3 on: Thu, 20 August 2015, 13:07:18 »
The trouble with these key caps is that, for keys that have two legends (like the num row), they won't be evenly backlit if the source of backlighting is a point (a single LED under the key cap). Now if the entire key switch were uniformly illuminated these would work great! But it's often not.
On most keyboards I can only see the shift symbols above the numbers on the num row, not the numbers themselves.
Agree. It's annoying. Can't read the numbers with the dimmest light setting which I prefer. Hope they fix it for the next run.
« Last Edit: Thu, 20 August 2015, 13:08:59 by quake4mhg »

Offline blueangel2323

« Reply #4 on: Sat, 19 September 2015, 20:03:54 »

This means that the fact that the numbers don't light up, only the symbols above the numbers, is due to the backlight being blocked, but both the symbol and number legends on the keycap itself are translucent, so theoretically with a properly placed LED, or 2 LEDs, both would be lit - is this correct?

Offline quake4mhg

« Reply #5 on: Sun, 20 September 2015, 22:54:03 »
Yes. In my case, because my KBT Race led is on the top annnd I prefer dim light, maybe only my personal preference :D

Offline blueangel2323

« Reply #6 on: Sun, 20 September 2015, 23:39:45 »
Yes. In my case, because my KBT Race led is on the top annnd I prefer dim light, maybe only my personal preference :D
More
Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Awesome. If I end up going with Cherry switches (Ergo Clear), these would be my first choice of caps. I'm leaning towards Matias though.

Offline Abula

« Reply #7 on: Tue, 22 September 2015, 17:48:22 »
In case someone want to look into how the Vortex PBT double shot look on a Ducky Shrine 4,

Topre Realforce 87UD 10th Anniversary Edition || Vortex Race 3 || Ducky Shine 5 RGB || Filco Majestouch 104 || Logitech G810