Author Topic: What is this place?  (Read 6587 times)

Offline mackstann

What is this place?
« on: Thu, 08 July 2010, 16:57:50 »
I think I was googling for keyboard encoders when I wound up here, and I was pleasantly surprised at how active a forum about obscure keyboards is.  But where did this forum come from?  What is its history?  How did all of these people wind up here?

Offline wellington1869

What is this place?
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 08 July 2010, 17:19:34 »
Quote from: mackstann;200799
But where did this forum come from?

imav was really bored one day

What is its history?

it started with one member and grew

How did all of these people wind up here?

via google. some of us are still trying to leave.

"Blah blah blah grade school blah blah blah IBM PS/2s blah blah blah I like Model Ms." -- Kishy

using: ms 7000/Das 3

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
What is this place?
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 08 July 2010, 17:21:17 »
Not sure what possessed iMav, our great Geekhack overlord, to make the site, but obviously it worked.

It seemed to pull in people who had these old keyboards. Then it pulled in people like me who were interested in getting good quality ones. Soon enough there were quite a lot of members, and the internet seemed to start to take notice, and there's definitely been more attention paid to high quality keyboards and I think we are at least partially to blame.

It's spread onto more mainstream hardware sites, but we are still referenced by just about everywhere as the place to go to find out about such things.

Most newer members come for buying advice or identification purposes.

Offline wellington1869

What is this place?
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 08 July 2010, 17:23:58 »
also for every new member imav knits a personalized keyboard sock with your name on it. just drop him a pm.

"Blah blah blah grade school blah blah blah IBM PS/2s blah blah blah I like Model Ms." -- Kishy

Offline hyperlinked

What is this place?
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 08 July 2010, 17:27:45 »
Quote from: wellington1869;200804
via google. some of us are still trying to leave.

Welcome to the Hotel California.
-

Topre: Realforce 103U Cherry: Filco Majestouch 104 (Brown), Ione Scorpius M10 (Blue)
Buckling Spring: IBM Model M1391401 ALPS: Apple Extended Keyboard II (Cream), ABS M1 (Fukka/Black), MicroConnectors Flavored USB (Black)
Domes: Matias Optimizer, Kensington ComfortType, Microsoft Internet Keyboard
Scissors: Apple Full Sized Aluminum
Pointy Stuff: Razer Imperator, Razer Copperhead, DT225 Trackball, Apple Magic Mouse, Logitech MX1000, Apple Mighty Mouse
Systems: MacPro, MacBook Pro, ASUS eeePC netbook, Dell D600 laptop, a small cluster of Linux Web servers
Displays: Apple Cinema Display 30", Apple Cinema Display 23"
Ergo Devices: Zody Chair, Nightingale CXO, Somaform, Theraball, 3M AKT180LE Keyboard Tray

Offline mackstann

What is this place?
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 08 July 2010, 17:28:22 »
This is all pretty impressive for just organic growth via search engine.

Here is my story.  I don't remember how or why I got into weird keyboards, but I started with a TypeMatrix (the old one).  It was alright, but for some reason (again, I don't remember), I upgraded to a Kinesis contoured.  I liked it so much that I got another one for work, and I'm still using those two.  I've played around with ripping keyboards apart and have contemplated building a custom one, but have been intimidated by the work required.

Lately I've been thinking about it again, after discovering Ponoko (laser cutting service) and making some stuff with it.  I'm not sure if laser cutting is a very good way to make a keyboard, but it's a possibility at least.  3D printing is another option, but my design skills are thus far very firmly lodged in the 2D world (Inkscape).

The laser cutting project I've been working on is a Mini-ITX computer case, which you can check out (well, its progress) here.  I actually just got the printed prototype #2 delivered to my house today, but I'm still at work so I won't get to play with it until a few hours from now.

Here is my work keyboard: http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4140/4775131733_72b2b471ce_z.jpg

I have switched some of the thumb keycaps because the stock ones have annoying ridges on the edges that just don't feel very good.  The replacements are totally flat (and some I sanded to give them more rounded edges). Most of the thumb keys are remapped too.  On the left are backspace, shift, control and alt, and on the right are the obviously labeled keys plus enter and space.  I actually wish I could control more keys with my thumbs, and that's one of the things I'd do if I made a keyboard.
« Last Edit: Thu, 08 July 2010, 17:34:39 by mackstann »

Offline Findecanor

What is this place?
« Reply #6 on: Thu, 08 July 2010, 17:35:30 »
I haven't been here very long, and I am already hooked ... Whoa! I already have 68 posts!?

I would not call many of the keyboards discussed here as "obscure". Two of the keyboards that get the most talk are the IBM Model M (came with the IBM PC) and the Apple Extended Keyboard (came with old Macintoshes). They were so common in their days that there is a high certainty that you have used at least one of them. Every now and then, you can still overhear people reminiscing about them or posting forum threads about them, and how much they wish that modern keyboards had qualities like the old keyboards had.
Then there is the gaming crowd.. and the people who have got hooked at collecting vintage equipment ... and the people who like case-mods and are considering to do keyboard-mods. They all come from different directions and they meet here. Everyone who is doing serious computing has opinions about keyboards.
« Last Edit: Thu, 08 July 2010, 17:37:57 by Findecanor »

Offline wellington1869

What is this place?
« Reply #7 on: Thu, 08 July 2010, 17:41:56 »
Quote from: hyperlinked;200810
Welcome to the Hotel California.

lol

Quote from: Findecanor;200813

I would not call many of the keyboards discussed here as "obscure". Two of the keyboards that get the most talk are the IBM Model M (came with the IBM PC) and the Apple Extended Keyboard (came with old Macintoshes). They were so common in their days that there is a high certainty that you have used at least one of them. Every now and then, you can still overhear people reminiscing about them or posting forum threads about them, and how much they wish that modern keyboards had qualities like the old keyboards had.

I think kishy's quote in my sig sums up nearly everyone's reason for arriving here.

What is this place?
« Reply #8 on: Thu, 08 July 2010, 18:02:27 »
I can't remember how I ended up here, but it had something to do with my MS Natural 4000 keyboard dieing on me and going back to the Model M I still had in storage.

This place is dangerous. Leave while you can! :D
Current collection: HHKB Pro 2 black on black, HHKB Pro 2 white/grey blank, [strike]Dell AT101W[/strike] (sold to SirClickAlot), 1992 Model M, Key Tronic Ergoforce KT 2001, BTC 5100 C. Dead boards: MS Natural Elite, MS Natural 4000.

Offline Computer-Lab in Basement

• The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Live long and prosper
What is this place?
« Reply #9 on: Thu, 08 July 2010, 18:07:24 »
I ended up here because MS Windows told me about it.
tp thread is tp thread
Sometimes it's like he accidentally makes a thread instead of a google search.

IBM Model M SSK | IBM Model F XT | IBM Model F 122 | IBM Model M 122 | Ducky YOTD 2012 w/ blue switches | Poker II w/ Blue switches | Royal Kludge RK61 w/ Blue switches

Offline wellington1869

What is this place?
« Reply #10 on: Thu, 08 July 2010, 18:10:04 »
Quote from: Computer-Lab in Basement;200826
I ended up here because MS Windows told me about it.

do you guys know each other IRL?

Offline Computer-Lab in Basement

• The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Live long and prosper
What is this place?
« Reply #11 on: Thu, 08 July 2010, 18:13:28 »
Yeah, I have said this at least a dozen times, we live in the same town and go to the same school.
tp thread is tp thread
Sometimes it's like he accidentally makes a thread instead of a google search.

IBM Model M SSK | IBM Model F XT | IBM Model F 122 | IBM Model M 122 | Ducky YOTD 2012 w/ blue switches | Poker II w/ Blue switches | Royal Kludge RK61 w/ Blue switches

Offline wellington1869

What is this place?
« Reply #12 on: Thu, 08 July 2010, 18:15:41 »
Quote from: Computer-Lab in Basement;200830
Yeah, I have said this at least a dozen times, we live in the same town and go to the same school.

lol oh ok, guess i missed that ;)

Offline slam

What is this place?
« Reply #13 on: Fri, 09 July 2010, 00:39:21 »
I came here originally looking for info about the IBM M13.  I've been nothing but impressed with the knowledge of the people on this board.  

Most people I work with think I'm crazy for using an M every day but for me there is no better keyboard.. Besides how many pieces of computer equipment are still relevant and indeed utterly useable after such a long time?

It's nice to have a place where others understand why great keyboards matter

Offline EverythingIBM

What is this place?
« Reply #14 on: Fri, 09 July 2010, 00:56:44 »
Quote from: Computer-Lab in Basement;200830

Aawww man, I wish I went to that school. But then again... I ransacked so many IBM goodies from mine...
Keyboards: '86 M, M5-2, M13, SSK, F AT, F XT

Offline ricercar

• * Elevated Elder
  • mostly abides
What is this place?
« Reply #15 on: Fri, 09 July 2010, 02:06:46 »
This forum will bankrupt you.
I trolled Geekhack and all I got was an eponymous SPOS.

Offline EverythingIBM

What is this place?
« Reply #16 on: Fri, 09 July 2010, 02:42:16 »
Quote from: ricercar;200909

Not if you listen to some of MW's financial advice on obtaining keyboards & computers.

Offline chimera15

What is this place?
« Reply #17 on: Fri, 09 July 2010, 04:47:19 »
I came here originally looking for Siig Minitouches after I found one by happenstance on ebay and fell in love with them.  I was searching for "compact mechanical" keyboards after obtaining a model f at, I figured that was about as good as compact mechanicals got.  Someone had posted about Bob from Northgate repair and that he had a quantity of stock of them.  So this forum lead me to about a quarter of my current minitouch collection. lol
« Last Edit: Fri, 09 July 2010, 04:49:25 by chimera15 »
Alps boards:
white real complicated: 1x modified siiig minitouch kb1903,  hhkb light2 english steampunk hack, wireless siig minitouch hack
white with rubber damper(cream)+clicky springs: 2x modified siig minitouch kb1903 1x modified siig minitouch kb1948
white fake simplified:   1x white smk-85, 1x Steampunk compact board hack
white real simplified: 1x unitek k-258
low profile: 1x mint m1242 in box
black: ultra mini wrist keyboard hack
blue: Japanese hhk2 lite hack, 1x siig minitouch pcb/doubleshot dc-2014 caps. kb1903, 1x modified kb1948 Siig minitouch
rainbow test boards:  mck-84sx

Offline EverythingIBM

What is this place?
« Reply #18 on: Fri, 09 July 2010, 05:15:54 »
Quote from: chimera15;200929
I came here originally looking for Siig Minitouches after I found one by happenstance on ebay and fell in love with them.  I was searching for "compact mechanical" keyboards after obtaining a model f at, I figured that was about as good as compact mechanicals got.  Someone had posted about Bob from Northgate repair and that he had a quantity of stock of them.  So this forum lead me to about a quarter of my current minitouch collection. lol

Uh oh, I think bob got a little crazy with his mini touches and broke some of them:

Offline microsoft windows

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
  • President of geekhack.org
    • Get Internet Explorer 6
What is this place?
« Reply #19 on: Fri, 09 July 2010, 09:01:06 »
Quote from: EverythingIBM;200892
Aawww man, I wish I went to that school. But then again... I ransacked so many IBM goodies from mine...

I know Computer Lab in Basement. He goes to the school I work at.

Since I work in the computer department, I have access to all the computer garbage. I've gotten everything from an M5-2 to about 400 floppy disks to an IBM ThinkCentre.
CLICK HERE!     OFFICIAL PRESIDENT OF GEEKHACK.ORG    MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN MERRY CHRISTMAS

Offline TexasFlood

What is this place?
« Reply #20 on: Fri, 09 July 2010, 09:09:47 »
Quote from: chimera15;200929

Wow, how many minitouchs do you have?

Offline chimera15

What is this place?
« Reply #21 on: Fri, 09 July 2010, 09:16:48 »
Quote from: TexasFlood;200971
Wow, how many minitouchs do you have?

They're all in my signature....what is that.. like 7 or 8.  Plus the smk-85 which is basically the same.
« Last Edit: Fri, 09 July 2010, 09:24:53 by chimera15 »
Alps boards:
white real complicated: 1x modified siiig minitouch kb1903,  hhkb light2 english steampunk hack, wireless siig minitouch hack
white with rubber damper(cream)+clicky springs: 2x modified siig minitouch kb1903 1x modified siig minitouch kb1948
white fake simplified:   1x white smk-85, 1x Steampunk compact board hack
white real simplified: 1x unitek k-258
low profile: 1x mint m1242 in box
black: ultra mini wrist keyboard hack
blue: Japanese hhk2 lite hack, 1x siig minitouch pcb/doubleshot dc-2014 caps. kb1903, 1x modified kb1948 Siig minitouch
rainbow test boards:  mck-84sx

Offline TexasFlood

What is this place?
« Reply #22 on: Fri, 09 July 2010, 09:48:04 »
Quote from: chimera15;200972
They're all in my signature....what is that.. like 7 or 8.  Plus the smk-85 which is basically the same.

Cool, that's quite a bit.

Well, to me, not sure about some of the more serious collectors here.

I should pay more attention to the signatures, pointers to some cool stuff in those.  Probably got enough to make my own signature soon here, although won't be nearly as impressive as some around here like yours.

Offline EverythingIBM

What is this place?
« Reply #23 on: Fri, 09 July 2010, 22:09:25 »
Quote from: microsoft windows;200964
I know Computer Lab in Basement. He goes to the school I work at.

Since I work in the computer department, I have access to all the computer garbage. I've gotten everything from an M5-2 to about 400 floppy disks to an IBM ThinkCentre.

Wow you must be the coolest IT guy ever. All the ones I know are into new crappy computers.
I guess I kind of do have access to all of my school's garbage; through connections with various staff members (I get special privileges lol).

I only got around.... 50 floppy disks from my school. They were all loaded with Apple software, so, I gave them the IBM-format and made new labels. We did pop one of them in an old beige mac thing, and it did read the floppy disk. The keyboard and mouse were so horrible, the CRT was utter garbage. I don't understand how anyone would want such a piece of garbage (my school was throwing out a lot of old macs, but I just saved the IBMs lol). SAVE THE IBMS! Leave the Macs to burn in incinerators.

I did get something like 30 jewel cases (some with multiple slots in one), they were throwing out a lot of useless apple CDs, so, I took out the paper inserts, threw the discs out, and now I have more free jewel cases than I'll ever need. Good thing too because jewel cases are so expensive... MAYBE THE USE REAL JEWELS INSTEAD OF PLASTIC!
« Last Edit: Fri, 09 July 2010, 22:12:45 by EverythingIBM »

Offline Voixdelion

What is this place?
« Reply #24 on: Tue, 03 August 2010, 05:52:04 »
Quote from: Superfluous Parentheses;200823
This place is dangerous. Leave while you can! :D

Quote from: Findecanor;200813
I haven't been here very long, and I am already hooked ... Whoa! I already have 68 posts!?

I did a double-take when I looked at my post count, too.  So far it looks like an average of about two a day since the day I joined (April 1st, apparently) intending to get some research on wtb so I wouldn't waste $  

Yep.  RE above: looks like the joke's on me...  Oh well.

Quote from: wellington1869;200809
also for every new member imav knits a  personalized keyboard sock with your name on it. just drop him a  pm.

HEY! I never got a keyboard sock! :tongue:
"The more you tolerate each other, the less enforcement will happen."-iMav

Offline wellington1869

What is this place?
« Reply #25 on: Tue, 03 August 2010, 11:15:09 »
Quote from: Voixdelion;208639

HEY! I never got a keyboard sock! :tongue:

;) Its ok, i'm still waiting for mine.  Hmmm, maybe i should send him a reminder ;)

Offline glo

What is this place?
« Reply #26 on: Tue, 03 August 2010, 13:06:00 »

Hah. That's what they told me when I joined.
Needless to say, I should have listened.

Offline keyboardlover

• Hey Paul Walker, Click It or Ticket!
    • http://www.keyboardlover.com
What is this place?
« Reply #27 on: Tue, 03 August 2010, 14:29:09 »
Quote from: kishy;208731
I've been here just about a year now. Look at my post count.

Dangerous place. Stay away! j/k

But seriously, this place has made me spend money I otherwise wouldn't have. 'Buying' keyboards was a foreign concept once upon a time...

I say the danger of this board depends solely on what you do with the advice you get. Many of the folks on here are collectors, so they've spent a lot of money and tried a lot of keyboards. However, if that's not your prerogative, then it doesn't necc. make sense to buy 15 keyboards in search of one. There's a lot of good advice here and I think it makes sense to use it and ask questions to help you narrow down your search.

Offline microsoft windows

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
  • President of geekhack.org
    • Get Internet Explorer 6
What is this place?
« Reply #28 on: Tue, 03 August 2010, 14:30:31 »
Quote from: EverythingIBM;200936
Uh oh, I think bob got a little crazy with his mini touches and broke some of them:
Show Image

I think in that picture, Bob went crazy in a more inappropriate way.
CLICK HERE!     OFFICIAL PRESIDENT OF GEEKHACK.ORG    MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN MERRY CHRISTMAS

Offline HaaTa

• Master Kiibohd Hunter
  • Kiibohds!
    • http://kiibohd.com
What is this place?
« Reply #29 on: Tue, 03 August 2010, 14:55:50 »
I had to play the ignore card a couple weeks ago, I just didn't want to read it anymore.
Kiibohd

ALWAYS looking for cool and interesting switches
I take requests for making keyboard converters (i.e. *old keyboard* to USB).