Author Topic: [IC] TEKNA-65SP – A cast metal and hardwood Southpaw 65% UPDATE 12-12-2021  (Read 10687 times)

Offline rheinason

TEKNA-65SP

After a long development period I’m excited to present the TEKNA-65SP, a 65% southpaw keyboard with a cast bronze base and a hardwood top. I do CAD by trade, and while I love the smaller formfactor boards I always need a numpad for number entry, preferably on my left out of the way of the mouse. This was a way of playing with new materials in a high-end board while also utilizing an excellent layout that doesn’t get the love it deserves.

Renders - UPDATE 12-12-2021
One form request was to see it in British Racing Green by Hand Engineering, which has been one of my favorite sets recently, I paired it with a Oak top and Patinated Bronze bottom and blockers. Also I wanted to plug the AH discord where there's a channel for this board now, which is where all the most recent updates will be available first. Thank you for all the interest and I'm looking forward to sharing more information with you in the future!

*Keycaps not included

Features
  • Cast Bronze bottom chassis with a machined hardwood top.
  • 65% + Southpaw Numpad layout
  • 6° typing angle
  • Top mount (If there’s enough interest it might be possible to do gasket mount, please see IC form)
  • Universal soldered PCB designed by MechLovin’ - QMK/VIA compatible (Interested in a Hotswap PCB? – Please see IC form)
  • USB-C Daughterboard
  • Weight: tbd, early estimate is around 3.7 kg
  • Price: est. $375-400 USD

Layout - Updated 10-12-2021

Prototype progress:

Currently finishing up CAD and 3D printing / Laser cutting prototype parts to ensure good fitment before sending the files over to the lovely guys at American Haptics for final prototyping and development. AH will also be heading distribution, but I’m definitely looking for proxies so please give me a shout if you know someone.
« Last Edit: Sat, 11 December 2021, 19:54:27 by rheinason »

Offline hali

• hali.studio
Re: [IC] TEKNA-65SP – A cast metal and hardwood Southpaw 65%
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 09 December 2021, 16:12:10 »
ne stepped caps and split backspace avail

Offline krugerlive

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 09 December 2021, 16:38:59 »
Really interesting project and I bet this has the potential to sound amazing.  Definitely look into some guitar/bass tone woods if not cost prohibitive.

I like this design a lot, great work on it and GLWIC!

Offline rheinason

« Reply #3 on: Thu, 09 December 2021, 16:42:56 »
Definitely look into some guitar/bass tone woods if not cost prohibitive.

Definitely! I'll probably do a few prototype "frames" and see how much they affect sound, I've also been thinking about spalted maple.

Offline Yuinth

« Reply #4 on: Thu, 09 December 2021, 17:33:53 »
Really like the looks and I'm curious for how it will sound with the different types of wood. Good to see a different approach in board materials and design.

GLWIC

Offline treeleaf64

• Traveler
    • treeleaf64
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 09 December 2021, 17:58:20 »
What finishing
Why not wood blocker
Why suspicious layout options
treeleaf64: https://discord.gg/rbUjtsRG6P

This is the cat and pat!!!!!!!!

Offline rheinason

« Reply #6 on: Thu, 09 December 2021, 18:05:59 »
What finishing

TBD, but I'd love to do some type of Danish Oil finish perhaps with a bit of bee's wax. I really dislike Lacquer.

Why not wood blocker

I liked the look of the cast blocker

Why suspicious layout options

What makes them suspicious?

Offline treeleaf64

• Traveler
    • treeleaf64
« Reply #7 on: Thu, 09 December 2021, 18:23:49 »

Offline yotasan

• ARCANE - PHOTOGRAPHY ARCHIVE
« Reply #8 on: Thu, 09 December 2021, 18:44:39 »
It's definitely interesting... I would love to try it out. (I'm also a simp for numpads on the left)

Offline MIGHTY CHICKEN

• buck buck, cluck cluck, squawk squawk
« Reply #9 on: Thu, 09 December 2021, 19:08:45 »
I'm not sure how I feel about the blockers, needs some more sets to render on other than just brown.

I love wood, would appreciate some kind of 7u support

Offline hiddensong

• this too shall pass
« Reply #10 on: Thu, 09 December 2021, 19:26:15 »
I feel this needs more layout options if you want to gain traction. I believe this is what one of the commenters meant by “sus”. It needs 7u spacebar, split backspace, stepped caps lock as well as the options you already have (split left shift for instance). Obviously different woods will impact sound as well as different finishes based on of the seal completely the micro air passages or not. I am on board as long as the layout options improve. Different materials and new mounting designs are pretty much the only reason I’ll buy new boards anymore. Especially 60-80%. I like ‘em big.

Offline noodleman

« Reply #11 on: Thu, 09 December 2021, 19:52:52 »

Offline Xury46

« Reply #12 on: Thu, 09 December 2021, 23:21:09 »
Getting some Viendi 8L vibes from this one.

Offline rheinason

« Reply #13 on: Fri, 10 December 2021, 06:49:01 »
I feel this needs more layout options if you want to gain traction. I believe this is what one of the commenters meant by “sus”. It needs 7u spacebar, split backspace, stepped caps lock as well as the options you already have (split left shift for instance). Obviously different woods will impact sound as well as different finishes based on of the seal completely the micro air passages or not. I am on board as long as the layout options improve. Different materials and new mounting designs are pretty much the only reason I’ll buy new boards anymore. Especially 60-80%. I like ‘em big.

Noted and updated!

Offline emerrin

« Reply #14 on: Fri, 10 December 2021, 14:39:21 »
Hey, I really like this project idea, but I think wood blockers for numpad/arrows would look much cleaner and be cheaper to manufacture, don't you think?
Very interested in buying

Offline treeleaf64

• Traveler
    • treeleaf64

Offline WarlordGorguts

« Reply #16 on: Sat, 11 December 2021, 05:21:42 »
Looks interesting. Filled the IC

Offline packman86

• Morning Coffee
« Reply #17 on: Sat, 11 December 2021, 08:06:31 »
Nice!
Keyboard Collection:

More

TGR Jane V2 | TGR Jane V2 CE | TGR Alice | TGR Dolice | TGR 910 | TGR x Singa UNIKORN 60 | Matrix 8XV 2.0 Korea Version | Matrix 8XV 2.0add | LZ CLS s h x | Duck Jetfire | TX-CP | QXP | Noxary X65 | RAMA M60-A | Model F62 "Kishsaver"

Offline rheinason

« Reply #18 on: Sat, 11 December 2021, 19:56:20 »

I just updated the thread with a few more renders, I totally agree and have added a new bottom row as well as a few others things to the layout. Thanks for your valuable comments.

Offline thesky

Re: [IC] TEKNA-65SP – A cast metal and hardwood Southpaw 65% UPDATE 12-12-2021
« Reply #19 on: Sun, 12 December 2021, 07:46:05 »
Looks really nice! IC form filled  :thumb:

Offline Silviapapi

Any updates on release? Absolutely in love with the look of this and really want a left handed num key for work!!