Author Topic: MiTo Canvas XDA - New Set on Massdrop  (Read 72082 times)

Offline KHAANNN

MiTo Canvas XDA - New Set on Massdrop
« on: Mon, 16 January 2017, 16:54:38 »
https://www.massdrop.com/buy/massdrop-x-mito-canvas-xda-custom-keycap-set

Sets like these really make me resent using a custom layout (1.75/1.25/1.25/1.25 arrows on an 60% layout)

The set is beyond incredible, I will probably look for an alternative layout and keyboard that I can use with this set, likely one that resembles old apple keyboards

Edit: https://mitormk.wordpress.com/
« Last Edit: Mon, 16 January 2017, 16:58:59 by KHAANNN »
Endgame | 1.25 Cmd for GMK Sets Please | Or Just 1.25 Blanks Like The Good Old Days

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
Re: MiTo Canvas XDA - New Set on Massdrop
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 16 January 2017, 17:13:07 »
That yellow is the sex and I sure wish he would include it on the base set or in the color mods somehow.  Maybe an accent kit with yellow ESC and Enter?

Hey, I just noticed the colors would go well with my avatar!!

Offline KHAANNN

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 16 January 2017, 17:20:11 »
Indeed incredible, I guess a 1800 could go well with this set, using that single yellow keycap

Colors always confuse me, so making due with the base colors might be a good option too

I just noticed the F/J alternatives are scooped, yet, the numpad 5 alternative looks like it's bumped/underlined, wonder what the homing situation is
Endgame | 1.25 Cmd for GMK Sets Please | Or Just 1.25 Blanks Like The Good Old Days

Offline CMYK

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 16 January 2017, 17:39:18 »
Seems incredible.  Nice colors, options, and with an interesting profile.  I see no mention of GMK, or Signature Plastics.  Who is actually manufacturing this set?
« Last Edit: Mon, 16 January 2017, 17:59:53 by CMYK »

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 16 January 2017, 17:47:05 »
Nice combo of Beige with Cool Gray, Love this already  :thumb: .

PLUS all PBT as well : )  What's not to like here?

Perfectly customized for any keyboard layout and using a new XDA profile as well.  Hope this is offered soon, for us key-cap addicts because it already has been planned for several keyboards here in Convict Town  8) .
« Last Edit: Mon, 16 January 2017, 17:49:16 by Elrick »

Offline Arallu

« Reply #5 on: Mon, 16 January 2017, 17:50:05 »
« Last Edit: Tue, 03 July 2018, 10:42:42 by Arallu »

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
  • sorry if i was ever an ******* to you
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 16 January 2017, 17:54:08 »
Going to have to enter this for elder furthark alone.
https://kbdarchive.org/
github
discord: hi mum#5710

Offline dante

« Reply #7 on: Mon, 16 January 2017, 17:54:58 »
You kids have it too good these days.  In my day we would be fapping over paper thin SP DCS, and we LIKED it. :D

Offline KHAANNN

« Reply #8 on: Mon, 16 January 2017, 17:58:23 »
Seems incredible.  Nice colors, options, and with an interesting profile.  I see no mention of GMK, or Signature Plastics.  Who is actually manufacturing this set.

First XDA buy that I know of is: https://www.keyclack.com/product-category/group-buys/xda-milestone/ https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=85828.0

The above set is also extreme like the MiTo's version, there are some unique things there, and they also included 1.75/1.25 arrows, but things were barely below my tipping point, the multitude of options messed me up, also for this set, the left/top aligned legends were just incredible, yet they only existed for the sub options, in a way, the MiTo's set feels like the next iteration of the Milestone

I'm guessing XDA is from a Manufacturer in China that is not well known yet

Edit: The Milestone was really unappreciated, it certainly deserved more love, but I guess, these days, we prefer Massdrop
« Last Edit: Mon, 16 January 2017, 18:00:12 by KHAANNN »

Offline zslane

« Reply #9 on: Mon, 16 January 2017, 18:42:30 »
I like the shape and texture of these XDA caps, but that's pretty much the only thing I like, I'm sorry to say.

Offline JDragon

« Reply #10 on: Mon, 16 January 2017, 19:01:39 »
I think these will look great with the M65 or the Exent for a retro vibe.

Offline Niomosy

« Reply #11 on: Tue, 17 January 2017, 00:22:46 »
Looks like I'll try XDA another time.

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #12 on: Tue, 17 January 2017, 01:48:15 »
You kids have it too good these days.  In my day we would be fapping over paper thin SP DCS, and we LIKED it. :D

OOOOooohhh yeah, just as I pick myself up and shove my walking frame around to confront this generation's spoiled excesses, like having such a variety in key-caps.

In my day we were lucky to even have such a thing as a keyboard let alone allowed to think about buying any key-caps for it.  If there were no key-caps you still had to press the switches with your worn out fingertips and pray how lucky we were for having this.

The DCS was the most sought after profile (it was the ONLY one available) and WE loved it  ;D .

This generation of spoiled kids never had it so good, all they can do now is pick which key-cap set to fill out any of their keyboards.

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #13 on: Tue, 17 January 2017, 01:54:32 »
Edit: The Milestone was really unappreciated, it certainly deserved more love, but I guess, these days, we prefer Massdrop

MassDrop has proven to be reliable that's all, if you go with some newbie which has never run a Group Buy before or some dodgy rip off artist then you might never see your money again.

People go with what's comfortable, MD has delivered heaps of key-cap sets already and at any time before the caps are even shipped to them for distribution, you can get your money refunded.

The ONLY other people I trust with my money would be CTRL/ALT and that's about it.  It's a very narrow field of trust thus far and well worth the effort because it always delivers  :thumb: .

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #14 on: Tue, 17 January 2017, 02:13:15 »
Coming Thursday. "Note: The Massdrop x Mito Canvas XDA Custom Keycap Set will be available starting January 19th at 6 a.m. PT."

Damn that's quick, only another two days from now  8) .

Really looking forward to this one, time to fill out some strange layout keyboards that no other Group Buy can even offer.

Offline anorak

« Reply #15 on: Tue, 17 January 2017, 03:04:30 »
I like the shape and texture of these XDA caps. And it has a norde kit!  :D I am not sure about the font... The symols are cool but the letters...
Anyway, I will throw my money at this.
« Last Edit: Wed, 18 January 2017, 01:40:01 by anorak »

Offline MiTo

• Banned
  • にんたい
« Reply #16 on: Tue, 17 January 2017, 20:05:32 »

Offline Twinguin

« Reply #17 on: Tue, 17 January 2017, 21:57:32 »
I like it. I guess I'm hooked :-)
There is a curse. They say: May you live in interesting times!, Terry Pratchett

Popsicle KUL ES-87 (MX Blue, DSA) | Sun Ultracomputing Pok3r (MX Brown, DSA) | Nuclear WASD 100% (MX Brown, SA) | Gulf Pok3r (MX Clear, DSA) | Granite JD45 (MX Blue, DSA) | Coffee Core (MX Red, DSA) | Lime Pok3r (MX Clear, SA) | Canvas Vibe (MX Silent Red, XDA)

Offline KHAANNN

« Reply #18 on: Tue, 17 January 2017, 23:20:47 »
From the first moment I saw left aligned legends on XDA Keycaps, I loved them, so Betas seems like dilution in a world filled with center aligned spherical keycaps, but since not everyone is diluted at the same levels, I understand that some people want them (I hope they are those who didn't experience the SP culture to their fullest and just starting this hobby, otherwise they are committing a crime)

The Yellow Esc is a nice addition, I wonder how the base set looks with just the Yellow Esc, or Yellow Esc + Green Enter

For me, the 1! spacing was eye-catching, the initial g/j's didn't catch my eye

I couldn't notice any other difference in the kits, I guess it's because I hoped for 1.75/1.25 arrows and they weren't there :)

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #19 on: Wed, 18 January 2017, 10:25:11 »
A couple kits have been re-organized and a major new kit was introduced, please let me know what you think!

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/massdrop-x-mito-canvas-xda-custom-keycap-set/talk/1572895

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/massdrop-x-mito-canvas-xda-custom-keycap-set/talk/1572747

Love the yellow escape!  My first thought when I saw the set is how beautiful it could look with a yellow escape and possibly a yellow Enter.  The yellow just looks so perfect with this set.  Maybe you could drop the yellow from the mods and put it in an "accent" pack instead, along with some accent OS and Enter keys?
« Last Edit: Wed, 18 January 2017, 10:27:03 by reececonrad »

Offline KHAANNN

« Reply #20 on: Wed, 18 January 2017, 16:40:30 »
Today's the big day I guess, homing keycaps are flat/normal and scooped on XDA right?

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #21 on: Wed, 18 January 2017, 16:42:36 »
I'm...a fan.

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #22 on: Wed, 18 January 2017, 20:40:55 »
19th is the Starting Mark here  8) .

Just can't wait to see what's all on offer, shall be gaping my poor wallet yet again here on MD.

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #23 on: Thu, 19 January 2017, 16:49:15 »

Offline KHAANNN

« Reply #24 on: Thu, 19 January 2017, 20:27:16 »
None of my weird layouts go along with the simplicity/beauty of this set, having 1.75/1.25 arrows as in the original Milestone GB would've been nice, as far as I gather, XDA is pretty agile, but oh well

I'm continually looking for a compact / good looking ~65%-ish keyboard to go along with the set, not missing the Rama 65 GB would've been a solution, this version of the Red Scarf: https://world.taobao.com/item/521123137875.htm?fromSite=main&spm=a1z10.3-c.w4002-3817085419.55.zADO6D - with beefy edges looks like an ideal candidate, but sadly, this version didn't make it to prime time, it only exists in taobao - The Clueboard is also a good candidate

Basic Text + Text Mods + Tsangan + Wozniak is currently what I'm leaning towards

Anyway, this stage of GB's/Drop's is always a struggle for me :)

Offline skuko

« Reply #25 on: Fri, 20 January 2017, 06:18:41 »
i like this very much, seems like the perfect opportunity to try out XDA profile.

also: holy ****, 1740+ orders already, kinda exploded! :)

Offline chuckdee

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #26 on: Fri, 20 January 2017, 08:45:59 »
None of my weird layouts go along with the simplicity/beauty of this set, having 1.75/1.25 arrows as in the original Milestone GB would've been nice, as far as I gather, XDA is pretty agile, but oh well

I'm continually looking for a compact / good looking ~65%-ish keyboard to go along with the set, not missing the Rama 65 GB would've been a solution, this version of the Red Scarf: https://world.taobao.com/item/521123137875.htm?fromSite=main&spm=a1z10.3-c.w4002-3817085419.55.zADO6D - with beefy edges looks like an ideal candidate, but sadly, this version didn't make it to prime time, it only exists in taobao - The Clueboard is also a good candidate

Basic Text + Text Mods + Tsangan + Wozniak is currently what I'm leaning towards

Anyway, this stage of GB's/Drop's is always a struggle for me :)

One of the reasons that I like the GMK drops better... everything is already in it, rather than trying to create a construct out of the sets available.

But yeah, I'm in on this.

Offline zslane

« Reply #27 on: Fri, 20 January 2017, 12:33:52 »
I really want to like this set. But the icons are as inscrutable as they are innovative, and the cool gray with warm beige just clashes to my eyes. I think if the modifiers were a light brown instead of a cool gray, I could put up with the icons.

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #28 on: Fri, 20 January 2017, 21:08:15 »
I really want to like this set. But the icons are as inscrutable as they are innovative, and the cool gray with warm beige just clashes to my eyes. I think if the modifiers were a light brown instead of a cool gray, I could put up with the icons.

The pics provided are never a good, solid point in understanding what the actual colours will be.

This is like buying in the OLD days of Geekhack, no one knows for sure what they will look like but the anticipation is enormous  :thumb: .

Always looking forward to another Group Buy for Key-caps, especially when it involves PBT.  I'm into this big time.

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #29 on: Fri, 20 January 2017, 21:14:45 »

I'm not really sure I'd call it innovative.  The colors are also pretty much a rehash of other sets already done or custom made by people:

Offline KHAANNN

« Reply #30 on: Fri, 20 January 2017, 21:22:48 »
From my point of view, "XDA Milestone" was innovative with the usage of left-aligned legends on spherical keycaps, it's not that it hasn't been done before, but in my opinion, "XDA Milestone" did it right

However, "XDA Milestone" seriously lacked consistency, it was like a native SP set in terms of consistency, legends/modifiers seemingly had different sizes, alphas were left-aligned, modifiers were center aligned

MiTo's "Canvas XDA" seems very consistent, even more consistent than the examples nubbinator provided

My criticism is modifier selection, instead of repeating some modifiers in multiple sets (for example the 1.75u shift), more/unique modifiers could've been added

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #31 on: Fri, 20 January 2017, 21:40:32 »
My criticism is modifier selection, instead of repeating some modifiers in multiple sets (for example the 1.75u shift), more/unique modifiers could've been added

Maybe MiTo can still provide the modified sets as you requested.  Remembered Matt3o did that as well right up until the last few days of the MD Group Buy with one of  his designs.

Once it ended everything was sent off including the revised edition for manufacture.  Don't know if MD will operate like that again, worth a try though.

Offline KHAANNN

« Reply #32 on: Fri, 20 January 2017, 21:58:35 »
It did happen once with MD too, Tomb3ry was able to add alternative homing keycaps in the middle of a GB

However, I feel like the 1.75/1.25 arrows are a bit selfish if only I request it, I know that there are other people who use arrows like that on an 60%, for example the KBParadise V60 has a mode to set the right modifiers to be arrows - tho - I have no idea how many people actually want/need it

It's also impossible to remove a modifier keycap once it's added, so repetitions will be repetitions, maybe there is a logic behind them that I didn't notice, basically I'm going with the flow, instead of bugging the gb runner with requests

Who knows, we might see more alternatives if/when the drop is repeated

Offline zslane

« Reply #33 on: Fri, 20 January 2017, 22:04:13 »

I'm not really sure I'd call it innovative.

Well, you'll notice that I only used the word innovative in regards to the icons.

I agree that many of the other elements have been done before, like the narrow lowercase font and corner legends, but I think Apple did it better because their font wasn't so heavy, which made it more legible. As much as I loved the AEKII back when I owned one in 1990, I'm not into that style anymore. I don't long for the return of lowercase corner legends. I like the normal centered legends in the Betas kit much more.

Offline a_ak57

« Reply #34 on: Sat, 21 January 2017, 20:31:20 »
From my point of view, "XDA Milestone" was innovative with the usage of left-aligned legends on spherical keycaps, it's not that it hasn't been done before, but in my opinion, "XDA Milestone" did it right

However, "XDA Milestone" seriously lacked consistency, it was like a native SP set in terms of consistency, legends/modifiers seemingly had different sizes, alphas were left-aligned, modifiers were center aligned

MiTo's "Canvas XDA" seems very consistent, even more consistent than the examples nubbinator provided

Are you thinking of a different set or one of the specialty alpha kits?  The standard alphas on XDA Milestone are centered; in general it's essentially XDA Granite.

Offline KHAANNN

Offline myoung34

« Reply #36 on: Thu, 13 April 2017, 07:41:37 »
I joined the XDA canvas drop but bought the ortho kit. Ended up building a JD40. Hoping I can find someone that wants to get rid of some of their 1.25u/1.75u extras.
There were complaints that in order to fit it to custom layouts you ended up having to buy addons you didn't really need

Offline lolkey

« Reply #37 on: Sat, 03 June 2017, 04:22:10 »
These ended up coming out interesting, to say the last. Seems like an entirely different thickness to the font, opposed to what was shown and people who bought are whining in the discussion now. So glad I bailed last second on buying because of the price. There are also quite a few screw ups if you inspected them. For instance, the G is positioned incorrectly when compared to the render. Some of the number symbols look like dye blotches, like the percentage sign. Whoever did the dye on these did a really bad job, unless he specifically requested them to be done like this.

I hope he figures it for his next batch and gets them closer to the render, or maybe switch to a better dye guy, as I'd love to grab a set if he can replicate the render font.

Render:

Actual:

« Last Edit: Sat, 03 June 2017, 04:28:10 by lolkey »
filco ninja mj2 tkl · mx brown · black case · blank black pbt
varmilo va87mr tkl · gateron red · black case · dye sub pbt ❤
vortex pok3r rgb · mx silent · white case · blank xda pbt

Offline KHAANNN

« Reply #38 on: Sat, 03 June 2017, 08:06:32 »
Very interesting, thanks for the review

Offline lolkey

« Reply #39 on: Sat, 03 June 2017, 13:17:23 »
Very interesting, thanks for the review

I don't actually have them. They posted pictures in the comments of the purchase thread. There is some discussion there about whether it's going to be fixed or not:

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/massdrop-x-mito-canvas-xda-custom-keycap-set/talk
filco ninja mj2 tkl · mx brown · black case · blank black pbt
varmilo va87mr tkl · gateron red · black case · dye sub pbt ❤
vortex pok3r rgb · mx silent · white case · blank xda pbt

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #40 on: Thu, 08 June 2017, 11:22:52 »
Oh, wow. That dye job is pretty bad.

Offline Robotical

« Reply #41 on: Thu, 08 June 2017, 11:49:26 »
Dang. Glad I canceled at the last moment. That dye sub is awful.

Offline Kavik

« Reply #42 on: Thu, 08 June 2017, 12:09:28 »
Is this what the final product looks like? From the discussion, it sounds as if the initial samples MiTo received had these problems, but that was a couple weeks ago before the drop's shipdate.
Maybe they're waiting for gasmasks and latex to get sexy again.

The world has become a weird place.

Offline Vigrith

« Reply #43 on: Thu, 08 June 2017, 12:40:26 »
Last word on it has been that Mito's working with XDA to improve their dye-sub lines.

Offline KHAANNN

« Reply #44 on: Thu, 08 June 2017, 13:22:16 »
Those alphas really doesn't make much sense considering this was possible long ago: http://imgur.com/a/7ig9X

XDA'ers certainly can go thin

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #45 on: Thu, 08 June 2017, 13:44:27 »
Is this what the final product looks like? From the discussion, it sounds as if the initial samples MiTo received had these problems, but that was a couple weeks ago before the drop's shipdate.

Last word on it has been that Mito's working with XDA to improve their dye-sub lines.

I clicked on the link and looked up the source. Seems these are just production samples and the final sets haven't been made yet. However, MiTo seemed pleased with them, which worries me. I wasn't in the GB, but I hoped to nab a set later on. I hope they can be made thinner.

Offline thelaughingman

• Simultaneously the most starry-eyed idealist and t
« Reply #46 on: Fri, 09 June 2017, 11:04:18 »

I clicked on the link and looked up the source. Seems these are just production samples and the final sets haven't been made yet. However, MiTo seemed pleased with them, which worries me. I wasn't in the GB, but I hoped to nab a set later on. I hope they can be made thinner.

here is MiTo's latest update https://www.massdrop.com/buy/massdrop-x-mito-canvas-xda-custom-keycap-set/talk/1712648

tl,dr: he updated the files and the next round of sample should be as close to the render as possible.

Offline pomk

« Reply #47 on: Sat, 10 June 2017, 05:03:30 »

here is MiTo's latest update https://www.massdrop.com/buy/massdrop-x-mito-canvas-xda-custom-keycap-set/talk/1712648

tl,dr: he updated the files and the next round of sample should be as close to the render as possible.
Where did he say that the next round would already be 'as close as possible'? This is just a second attempt and there will likely be a third one before we can expect to get 'as close to the render as possible'.

I would accept color difference of <2 delta e and sizing, positioning and thickness variance of 0,05mm in respect to the render as 'close to the render'. Achieving such accuracy is bound to require a third attempt as long as the process at the manufacturers end is not fully known to the designer.

It is a completely different question whether they are going to pursue getting the product match closely with render, but I'm hopeful as the first abomination was not accepted.
« Last Edit: Sat, 10 June 2017, 05:11:26 by pomk »

Offline thelaughingman

• Simultaneously the most starry-eyed idealist and t
« Reply #48 on: Sat, 10 June 2017, 06:37:39 »

Where did he say that the next round would already be 'as close as possible'? This is just a second attempt and there will likely be a third one before we can expect to get 'as close to the render as possible'.

It's a "TL;DR", OK? Did I put a quotation anywhere to make you think that I was quoting MiTo's words? Jesus H Christ people these days.

Offline pomk

« Reply #49 on: Sat, 10 June 2017, 07:39:32 »

It's a "TL;DR", OK? Did I put a quotation anywhere to make you think that I was quoting MiTo's words? Jesus H Christ people these days.
Jesus H Christ indeed. I have no idea why one would not write accurately after a tl,dr tag, god. A better "tl,dr" would have been: Mito has made some changes and thinks that the next samples are going to be better. Why you would put words in Mito's mouth is beyond me. At least put a 'in my opinion' before spouting nonsense.
« Last Edit: Sat, 10 June 2017, 07:43:04 by pomk »