geekhack Marketplace > Keycap Set Design Contest

[IC] DSA Ember: Row-by-Row Legends Inspired by Fire (Renders & First Pricing)

(1/15) > >>

Sensorium:
This will be my first time doing an interest check. I'm open to suggestions and I'll try my best to respond swiftly!

(bad) 3D renders at last! I know that the keycaps are overly smooth right now, but I got excited and wanted to post them. I'll working on texturing the keycaps later. (Thank you Orowheat on Github for your design and Thesiscamper for lighting tips.)

Introduction:

The goal of Ember is to be a keyset that carries across the tone of a low fire. The legends are a row-by-row gradient over brown alphas and black modifiers in an attempt to capture the way fire peeks through the cracks of burnt wood and stone. Here's the KLE render:

Profile & Colors:

The profile is DSA. There will still be rows because of the legends, but I'll try my best to make kits for everyone!

The colors of the legends are (from bottom row to top): RAC, OB, ON, OAS, YL, and YBP.

The color of the alphas is TBN and the colors of the mods is NN. All of the colors can be seen here:

(I wasn't thinking and made the gradient backwards :confused:)

New kits and Prices:

After some thought, I revised my approach to kits and sent my work to Melissa at Signature Plastics. My current goal is to offer both brown and grey alphas for this drop. Based on what I've gotten back, getting both might be possible depending on how popular the set is. The new kits are as follows:

Brown alphas:

Grey alphas:

60% mods:

TKL mods:

UK ISO kits (3 separate kits. brown keys, grey keys, and enter/alt gr kit):

Numpad kits (same deal as ISO, brown numpad, grey numpad, and numpad mods):

40% kit:

65% kit:

Colevorak brown:

Colevorak grey:

Brown and grey international kits:

Brown and grey mono keys for number row:

These are all of the kits that I got a quote for. I have yet to get a quote on the novelty kit, the spacebar kit, and the Esc kit. Since it's late and I need to go to sleep now, I'll just screenshot the grid of prices that Melissa sent me. (TBN is brown and GTA is grey):

If anyone has ideas for revising kits, possibly making them more accessible or less expensive, please share! My goal here was to make a set of kits that satisfied everyone, but I'm sure there are different ways. I want to say thanks to everyone for the help so far! The set is a lot better thanks to the suggestions I've received.

Old kits: More2D Renders:

TKL again:

60%:

Planck:

MiniVan:

Kits:

Base Kit:

(The one thing I have learned from my survey so far is that everyone wants TKL. So now it's the base kit.)

Numpad Kit:

ISO Kit:

40% Kit (Planck, JD-4x, MiniVan):

65% Kit (Whitefox, HHKB, FC660x):

International kit:

(KLE doesn't like the Eszett. It writes it as SS.)

Number Row Mono Kit:

(I don't know if any more than one row is feasible. I hope this is enough for the people who like the mono look!)

Working Novelty kit:

Spacebar Kit:

And finally, lame Ergodox Kit:

The Future:

Novelties are here, but I think it would be economical to whittle them down a bit. I'm also open to suggestions from all of you.

Still haven't gotten around to 3D renders (I've had a lot of work to do recently), but I'm hoping to get in touch with someone soon. Thank you!

Update list: More1/27/2017: Consolidated "Planck" and "Alt" kits into "40%" and "65%" kits. Added small mono kit.
1/29/2017: Added an international kit.
2/14/2017: Added concept novelty kit, space kit. Changed base kit to TKL.
2/23/2017: Updated novelty kit to newest version.
3/15/2017: Updated kits to both brown and grey options, posted tentative pricing for kits.

Once again, all feedback is appreciated! Thank you for reading!

scwoopz:
looks great, but SA is backlogged for basically all of this year. Maybe look into a different profile?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

msilvv:
This is really creative and looks great imo, but I agree with scwoopz. SA is backlogged until the end of this year, we're not getting anything new for a while. That said, this will definitely still look better with centered legends. I also feel like it's been awhile since we're seen a really good DSA set, so maybe see what the response is on that.

Sensorium:

--- Quote from: scwoopz on Thu, 26 January 2017, 01:01:30 ---looks great, but SA is backlogged for basically all of this year. Maybe look into a different profile?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

--- End quote ---

--- Quote from: msilvv on Thu, 26 January 2017, 01:40:32 ---This is really creative and looks great imo, but I agree with scwoopz. SA is backlogged until the end of this year, we're not getting anything new for a while. That said, this will definitely still look better with centered legends. I also feel like it's been awhile since we're seen a really good DSA set, so maybe see what the response is on that.

--- End quote ---

I was afraid of that. I was hoping to hold on to SA, but if it's the very first thing that comes up as an issue, I think the choice is obvious. I agree with you on the center legends, so I guess the set is DSA now! It only took two hours ;D. I'll post my versions of the sets without row numbers and change the info in the title. I hope that the better timeline gets people excited.

ArchDill:
This is interesting.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version