geekhack Marketplace > Drop

Thoughts on the CTRL Keyboard?

<< < (2/2)

etatauri:

--- Quote from: mkozlows on Mon, 09 April 2018, 16:44:36 ---Are you a programmer-type, or someone who would use the visual configurators?

--- End quote ---

Unfortunately, my programming skills are not great. I know a bit about markup languages like HTML and CSS, and have looked through enough javascript to kind of decipher what's going on and edit/copy/paste things to make it work for me.

With KLL there was just no documentation for me to study. I wanted to learn how to do animations but I couldn't figure it out.
All I really want is to have 4 layers for Qwerty, Colemak, numpad, and function layer, and have the resources to do custom animations.
IC's configurator, while at times good, still seems very clunky...

It really sucks that the selling point of these keyboards, the software, is where the gamble lies. I didn't buy the K-Type because it just looked nice. I bought it because it was supposed to be community-driven, open source, and highly customizable with a kick-ass configurator.

mkozlows:

--- Quote from: etatauri on Mon, 09 April 2018, 18:30:39 ---With KLL there was just no documentation for me to study. I wanted to learn how to do animations but I couldn't figure it out.
All I really want is to have 4 layers for Qwerty, Colemak, numpad, and function layer, and have the resources to do custom animations.

It really sucks that the selling point of these keyboards, the software, is where the gamble lies. I didn't buy the K-Type because it just looked nice. I bought it because it was supposed to be community-driven, open source, and highly customizable with a kick-ass configurator.

--- End quote ---

As far as I can tell, I:C is still supporting the K-Type in their Kiibohd firmware, so it genuinely is community-driven, open-source, and highly-customizable. I mean, it's the same firmware they're using on their Whitefox and Kira stuff, so despite the breakup with Massdrop, it's not like that firmware has been abandoned.

Anyway, based on your goals, I'm not convinced that a QMK-based board would work any better for you. The layers, sure, that's easy, and I strongly suspect that Massdrop's configurator will make that straightforward to do with the CTRL. But custom animations are probably going to be something where you need to drop down into actual coding in the near future.

Blaise170:
Even if you can't program it yourself, I'm sure you could find someone in the community willing to help you out with it.

crystalhand:

--- Quote from: mkozlows on Tue, 10 April 2018, 10:08:49 ---
--- Quote from: etatauri on Mon, 09 April 2018, 18:30:39 ---With KLL there was just no documentation for me to study. I wanted to learn how to do animations but I couldn't figure it out.

--- End quote ---

As far as I can tell, I:C is still supporting the K-Type in their Kiibohd firmware, so it genuinely is community-driven, open-source, and highly-customizable. I mean, it's the same firmware they're using on their Whitefox and Kira stuff, so despite the breakup with Massdrop, it's not like that firmware has been abandoned.

Anyway, based on your goals, I'm not convinced that a QMK-based board would work any better for you. The layers, sure, that's easy, and I strongly suspect that Massdrop's configurator will make that straightforward to do with the CTRL. But custom animations are probably going to be something where you need to drop down into actual coding in the near future.

--- End quote ---

The support for Kiibohd is still there but has never been as good as QMK in my opinion.  They are slower to roll out new features and they can have major issues with a board for months before they get around to addressing it.  I have my infinity ergodox running kiibohd but much prefer my dactyl running qmk.  Kiibohd is simpler to use but not nearly as robust.

Data:

--- Quote from: Blaise170 on Mon, 09 April 2018, 12:21:55 ---I joined the drop for it. It checks almost every box that I'd want in a custom and also comes in at under $200.

--- End quote ---

Same.  CTRL fixes most if not all of the issues I had with the K-Type. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version