geekhack Community > Other Geeky Stuff

COFFEE THREAD

<< < (62/62)

noisyturtle:

--- Quote from: noorejji on Wed, 27 January 2021, 15:13:48 ---I recently placed a $1750 order on a coffee grinder.

--- End quote ---

What the actual ****. You just got ripped off big time my friend.

That's nearly 2 months of rent for me, this guy is buying coffee grinders  :rolleyes:

noorejji:

--- Quote from: TacticalCoder on Wed, 27 January 2021, 17:29:38 ---
--- Quote from: noorejji on Wed, 27 January 2021, 15:13:48 ---I did the maths on capsules vs coffee beans, and I found that I had to buy incredibly cheap coffee beans and use frugal doses for the coffee beans to even match the capsules in terms of cost per cup.
--- End quote ---
That's weird: but then both the wife and I work from home and drink a lot of coffee. We did the maths and coffee beans were not just a bit but a lot cheaper. Maybe I wasn't paying attention to the quality of the coffee beans and maybe I was also buying "official" Nespresso capsules, dunno. I mean: Nespresso or Starbucks capsule go from, what 20 cents (EUR) to 60 cents (EUR) per capsule? (for good brands I mean, not the cheapest ones). At easily 8 coffee per day at home every day, that quickly adds up to (very very very ballpark) 500 EUR to 1 500 EUR of capsules per year. I don't think we're anywhere near that with coffee grains but I should recheck: I remember reading it was much cheaper and doing the test with the first pack of coffee beans we bought then never looked into it again. I'll redo the math.

--- End quote ---
I should add that YMMV depending on domestic pricing and such. I didn't use Nespresso and I don't buy coffee beans in bulk; that alone might make up the difference. In any case to me it sounds like you'd be happier with a proper coffee machine, so I wouldn't worry too much about the maths. My dad switched from an expensive Miele fully automatic coffee machine to a Nespresso, and I honestly don't understand why. To me the capsules taste like smoky dishwater, and would pick cheap workplace filter coffee any day.

smarmar:

--- Quote from: noisyturtle on Tue, 08 December 2020, 21:43:56 ---You can also get raw beans by writing to importers. I did this once and they sent me a buncha samples of super high quality unroasted geisha heirloom beans I couldn't do anything with. Usually they distribute to coffee shops, but even very small ones. I said I was a 'micro-roaster' and that was good enough for them ;)

--- End quote ---
Speaking of micro-roasters, what are your usual coffee haunts? You and I live in the same city and I'm always up for trying something different. My favorite has always been Vespr, in Waterford Lakes, ever since my first visit years ago. They recently changed owners and it seems like the quality dropped a bit...kinda sad. Lineage and Foxtail are my usual go-to java joints around Winter Park. And of course all of the Vietnamese places around here have excellent iced coffee  ;)

bkrownd:

I use an aeropress and local beans, medium roast.    :cool:

jacobalbertus1:
the way i like my coffe is either iced or hot black with some 1/2 and 1/2 or a shot of coffee mate i don't do Starbucks fancy crap it makes me feal sluggish and tierd

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version