Author Topic: What's your smartphone ?  (Read 141694 times)

Offline SmallFry

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • Leaving 6/15; returning 6/22 or so.
Re: What's your smartphone ?
« Reply #300 on: Fri, 10 May 2013, 17:36:26 »
I like screen protectors, especially the anti-glare ones.

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #301 on: Fri, 10 May 2013, 17:38:32 »
Haha no screen protectors club. My phone is always naked on all sides :)

Mine too.

Offline Dubsgalore

• Banned
  • Location: 75% You have received a warning for attempting to circumvent the classifieds rules
    • Dubs - Sneakers, Keyboards, and Life
« Reply #302 on: Fri, 10 May 2013, 17:40:27 »

When you get your summer job, go on eBay and buy an iPhone 4 replacement back glass.

I'm also a member of the no screen protectors club. I used to use an Otterbox Defender case, and I ripped the stupid plastic out that covers the screen. Now I use a Magpul Field case.

might have to wait another year for the upgrade..so i'll look into it.
the main problem is not the back glass (which is horribly cracked as well)
it's the small little circle of glass that protects the lense..maybe i could buy a replacement of that?

Offline alaricljs

• I be WOT'ing all day...
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #303 on: Fri, 10 May 2013, 17:44:48 »
Samsung S  (Fascinate) - no screen protector or case... not toooo many scars on it, none on the screen.

Waiting for corp purchasing to get S4 in the Q.
Filco w/ Imsto thick PBT
Ducky 1087XM PCB+Plate, w/ Matias "Quiet Click" spring-swapped w/ XM Greens

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #304 on: Fri, 10 May 2013, 18:04:24 »
it's the small little circle of glass that protects the lense..maybe i could buy a replacement of that?

The back glass comes with that attached, and only costs like $15 or so. Even comes with the little screwdriver you will need. And as a bonus, you can get a different color if you want! They can do this for you at the mall, but I'm sure they charge more for it. :)
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline Dubsgalore

• Banned
  • Location: 75% You have received a warning for attempting to circumvent the classifieds rules
« Reply #305 on: Fri, 10 May 2013, 18:15:21 »

The back glass comes with that attached, and only costs like $15 or so. Even comes with the little screwdriver you will need. And as a bonus, you can get a different color if you want! They can do this for you at the mall, but I'm sure they charge more for it. :)

I'm hunting right now..i see one for $7, without the apple logo (lol bootleg) and it comes with the tool..it's black as well

Offline DubbTom

« Reply #306 on: Fri, 10 May 2013, 23:04:35 »

I'm hunting right now..i see one for $7, without the apple logo (lol bootleg) and it comes with the tool..it's black as well

you should look into the transparent backings if you need a new one. They look really cool and you wont have to worry about cracking the glass again  since they are plastic
poker II

Offline Dubsgalore

• Banned
« Reply #307 on: Fri, 10 May 2013, 23:57:01 »
i'm not asking for links...but i am at the same time

a transparent back sounds really cool. going to search for that

thanks for the suggestion DubbTom!

Offline TheQsanity

• SmallFry Lovin'
« Reply #308 on: Sat, 11 May 2013, 04:09:14 »
I have the Zagg Extreme. It was like 35 bucks but I got one for free when I bought it.... When am I ever going to use two of them lol.

I had the Zagg HD before it pealed off. It looks and feels a lot better than the Extreme. The Extreme is a grease magnet, but it uses a different type of solution so it sticks a lot better and has yet to peal.

SmallFry! <3

Offline nar

« Reply #309 on: Sat, 11 May 2013, 13:23:05 »
Xperia Arc, because I managed to get it for free without a contract. That and I've dropped that phone on tons of hard floors (Hard Wood, Concrete, Asphalt you name it) and it hasn't once broken or cracked despite me not putting it in any case or having any other protector except for the factory applied screen protector.
Keyboards: Topre HE0100 | REALFORCE 103UB & 104UB-DK | FILCO Majestouch 2 Ai Cherry MX Blue | CHERRY G84-4101SPAUS

Offline ItsBc

• BARACOOT
    • Portfolio
« Reply #310 on: Sat, 11 May 2013, 23:25:01 »
S3 checking in, still. Screen protector; not once.

Offline Glissant

« Reply #311 on: Sun, 12 May 2013, 00:25:19 »
I've tried screen protectors on most of my smart phones, but the feeling of the glass just can't be beat. And I've only had a scratch on one screen, which wasn't even created by me but the previous owner of said phone.

Also; the more I think about the Note 2, the more I want it. Might as well wait for the next release if they are planning to do one.

Offline GeoTang

« Reply #312 on: Sun, 12 May 2013, 03:27:49 »
iPhone 5
I'm way too clumsy to not have a case and screen protector.

Offline TheQsanity

• SmallFry Lovin'
« Reply #313 on: Sun, 12 May 2013, 05:23:44 »
Note 2 will probably have gorrila glass 3 or was it 2... like the s4. Stronger glass than the s3. Nothing really scratches the glass except for sand. The glass is pretty resistant to most large objects. Its the tiny particles that F **** up. Tiny scratches on the screen acctually weakens the glass and can lead to cracking...

For samsung phones, you gotta be more worried about the edges. They dent like no other.
SmallFry! <3

Offline iri

« Reply #314 on: Mon, 13 May 2013, 05:19:23 »
my phone's plastic screen doesn't need any protection! zopo stronk!
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline dndlmx

« Reply #315 on: Mon, 13 May 2013, 14:54:32 »
iPhone 5. I think Apple's mobile devices are top notch, and was even sold on the "ecosystem" for a while. Until I realized OS X wasn't cutting it for a "primary" rig. But I digress...the mobile platform is good, and I like my phone.

Offline Grim Fandango

• * Esteemed Elder
  • "The living still give me the creeps."
« Reply #316 on: Mon, 13 May 2013, 18:49:54 »
I've tried screen protectors on most of my smart phones, but the feeling of the glass just can't be beat. And I've only had a scratch on one screen, which wasn't even created by me but the previous owner of said phone.

Also; the more I think about the Note 2, the more I want it. Might as well wait for the next release if they are planning to do one.

I feel the same way. I really enjoy the way the glass feels on most phones, and that feel is kind of destroyed as soon as I put on a plastic cover. I'd rather use it without the cover, even if that would mean a few scratches. But in normal use, I have not found modern phones scratch that easy. I have a 3 (4?) year old HTC desire that I took everywhere. From literally hiking down mountain trails to mountainbiking in dirt, and there are hardly any scratches noticeable.

More useful protection for me is a case. I used to hate them as well, but phones have gotten so thin, that I even prefer the form factor of the phone with the case around it. I could not stand how thin my Galaxy S3 was. Most of the protection does not come from the padding, but from the added thickness and rougher texture enabling me to hold the damn thing (Spigen Modello TPU case, highly recommended). I also hated the plasticky look of the S3, but quite appreciate the all-glass front side when you use it with a case. Solved all major issues I had with the phone.
« Last Edit: Mon, 13 May 2013, 18:52:57 by Grim Fandango »
Mouse Guide 2.0: A list of mice with superior sensors and more.
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=56240.0

Offline TheFlyingRaccoon

• HHKB Pro
  • * Maker
  • Cable maker and future engineer
« Reply #317 on: Mon, 13 May 2013, 19:50:15 »

I love my Note 2 but it is huge! Like most people don't even realize it's a phone. Before buying one, definitively go to a store and try it out. If you can get used to the size, it's an awesome phone.
HHKB Pro 2   SmallFry Keyboard

Offline Dubsgalore

• Banned

Offline Patchwrks

« Reply #319 on: Sun, 19 May 2013, 19:05:50 »
iPhone 5.  I'm a phone ****.  I constantly trade my stuff so maybe next week a One?
(´・ω・`)denko-chan~~~내 스레드

Offline Asininity

« Reply #320 on: Sun, 19 May 2013, 21:16:00 »
Just a Samsung Galaxy SII with a cracked screen. I want a HTC One.

Offline Input Nirvana

• Master of the Calculated Risk
  • If I tell ya, I'll hafta kill ya
« Reply #321 on: Sun, 19 May 2013, 21:25:33 »
Reading this stuff is interesting. I'm still rocking the iPhone 4 I got when they came out. Been iPhoning it since the first model. There weren't many options back then, unlike now.

Would like a bigger screen, but too big of a phone doesn't work for me...I'm kind of a 'guy on the go'

Recently have been considering leaving the Mac family as far as phones go...but for as many people that I know are not using iPhone, just as many switched from iPhone to something else only to go flying back to iPhone.

I've been tight on funds as well and that is part of a decision making process I'm not used to. If I stay with iPhone may get a "5" in a few months with "5+" comes out. What a wimp.

iSuck
Kinesis Advantage cut into 2 halves | RollerMouse Free 2 | Apple Magic Trackpad | Colemak
Evil Screaming Flying Door Monkeys From Hell                     Proudly GeekWhacking since 2009
Things change, things stay the same                                        Thanks much, Smallfry  
I AM THE REAPER . . . BECAUSE I KILL IT
~retired from forum activities 2015~

Offline Dubsgalore

• Banned
« Reply #322 on: Sun, 19 May 2013, 21:41:06 »
Reading this stuff is interesting. I'm still rocking the iPhone 4 I got when they came out. Been iPhoning it since the first model. There weren't many options back then, unlike now.

Would like a bigger screen, but too big of a phone doesn't work for me...I'm kind of a 'guy on the go'

Recently have been considering leaving the Mac family as far as phones go...but for as many people that I know are not using iPhone, just as many switched from iPhone to something else only to go flying back to iPhone.

I've been tight on funds as well and that is part of a decision making process I'm not used to. If I stay with iPhone may get a "5" in a few months with "5+" comes out. What a wimp.

iSuck

I'm content with my iphone 4.
the biggest regret i've ever had is jailbreaking my phone and then accidently corrupting it..when i restored it, i had to get IOS 6.
worst decision ever..if only i could go back to IOS 5.1 :'(

Offline Jocelyn

• 조셀린
« Reply #323 on: Sun, 19 May 2013, 23:19:39 »
the biggest regret i've ever had is jailbreaking my phone and then accidently corrupting it..when i restored it, i had to get IOS 6.

Whaaaat? You can't go back? Silly closed source OS :(

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #324 on: Sun, 19 May 2013, 23:31:16 »
I'd be naked on my iPhone 5, except it doubles as my wallet, so I need the case for my ID and bank card. No screen protectors though!

And FTR I <3 IOS 6

Offline Dubsgalore

• Banned
« Reply #325 on: Sun, 19 May 2013, 23:48:32 »

Whaaaat? You can't go back? Silly closed source OS :(

Back in the fall..i didn't know about shsh blobs..so at the moment, i am SOL ..

there is a method i am going to try next week at some point..not tonight i'm too tired lol

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #326 on: Mon, 20 May 2013, 07:35:58 »
Jolla will show their hardware today. Can't wait!

Offline IPT

• Formerly projectD
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #327 on: Mon, 20 May 2013, 11:05:29 »
hope Verizon announce the HTC One on Wednesday.  i'll buy that phone on full price off contract and sell my S3.

Offline Spokoman

« Reply #328 on: Mon, 20 May 2013, 13:49:29 »
I have Samsumg GS3. I'm not sure I'd buy the GS4, no because I don't like the 3, but I'm not sure it is that much different and worth it. Chask out gsmarena.com They have really detailed and just awesome reviews. I recently read GS4 vs HTC One. Good stuff.
Ducky Shine II Blue LED Brown Switches
CM QF TK Red LED Red Switches

Offline keymaster

• Topre Revolution Theorist
« Reply #329 on: Mon, 20 May 2013, 15:16:50 »
GH theme for SwiftKey on my HTC One :)

Offline DubbTom

« Reply #330 on: Wed, 29 May 2013, 18:03:41 »
Do any of you guys have experience with the reflective screen covers that make it look like the surface of your phone is chrome? I have a few, but am not sure if it's worth taking off my current clear screen cover (as it took forever to get it applied correctly).
poker II

Offline Glissant

« Reply #331 on: Wed, 29 May 2013, 18:15:41 »
I've had one, and it hindered screen clarity. Viewing in daylight was almost impossible too. I didn't like it. Check out all the mirror screen protector reviews on youtube if you want other people's opinions too.

Offline godly_music

« Reply #332 on: Wed, 29 May 2013, 21:05:38 »
None. No cellphone! Wheee-hee-hee!

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #333 on: Wed, 29 May 2013, 21:20:29 »
Just got a Nexus 4 after using an iPhone 4S for almost 2 years. Loving it so far!
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #334 on: Wed, 29 May 2013, 21:28:03 »
Going from a Nexus to iOS makes you feel so crippled.

Offline SmallFry

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • Leaving 6/15; returning 6/22 or so.
« Reply #335 on: Wed, 29 May 2013, 22:43:25 »
Just got a Nexus 4 after using an iPhone 4S for almost 2 years. Loving it so far!
Needs more roots. :P

Offline Input Nirvana

• Master of the Calculated Risk
  • If I tell ya, I'll hafta kill ya
« Reply #336 on: Wed, 29 May 2013, 23:19:09 »

iSuck

I feel my iPhone 4 is slow...perhaps apps have gotten bigger/more complicated. I use GPS a lot. Maybe it's time for a complete restore and wipe off the hordes of pics/xtra unused apps.
Kinesis Advantage cut into 2 halves | RollerMouse Free 2 | Apple Magic Trackpad | Colemak
Evil Screaming Flying Door Monkeys From Hell                     Proudly GeekWhacking since 2009
Things change, things stay the same                                        Thanks much, Smallfry  
I AM THE REAPER . . . BECAUSE I KILL IT
~retired from forum activities 2015~

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #337 on: Thu, 30 May 2013, 07:44:45 »
Going from a Nexus to iOS makes you feel so crippled.

Tell that to everyone else in my office, I think I am the only android user amongst 20 or so people :eek:

Of course I 'accidentaly' let my droid razr maxx hd update to the latest update....but thankfully I was able to restore root!!

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #338 on: Thu, 30 May 2013, 07:52:53 »
I'm the only Android user out of all of my friends. It's okay.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #339 on: Thu, 30 May 2013, 08:54:32 »
I think Android is somewhat looked down upon by iOS users, to a degree, because the Android OS is available now on some very affordable (read: cheap) smartphones. Many of these handsets are crippled with small amounts of RAM and previous-gen processors. Therefore, they can only run stripped down or older versions of the Android OS. On a handset with the latest hardware specs, the Android OS really shines, and is far more user-customizable than stock iOS will ever be, unless you jailbreak, of course.

The availability of cheap hardware running some version of Android has brought smartphones to a whole segment of the market, which would otherwise be using "dumb" phones.

in memoriam

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #340 on: Thu, 30 May 2013, 09:08:31 »
True, but even then, there were rumors of a cheaper iPhone, and people were excited of the prospect.

But honestly, even manufacturers cripple Android. I will never buy one that isn't a Nexus. It's really that simple to me.

Offline rknize

• * Administrator
    • metaruss
« Reply #341 on: Thu, 30 May 2013, 10:41:50 »
That sounds like a fairly typical Engadget comment.
Russ

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #342 on: Thu, 30 May 2013, 10:44:34 »
So you're saying Engadget users know what's up? I might have to check that site out.

Offline rknize

• * Administrator
    • metaruss
« Reply #343 on: Thu, 30 May 2013, 10:55:24 »
I'm just saying that the tech press and their readers/commenters are amazingly clueless about how the Android platform software ecosystem really works.  No one seems to bother asking the people that actually do the work.  It's weird.
Russ

Offline Jocelyn

• 조셀린
« Reply #344 on: Thu, 30 May 2013, 11:05:09 »

I'm really glad you like it. You should head on over to XDA for some more goodness :)

Offline codyeatworld

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #345 on: Thu, 30 May 2013, 11:13:24 »
Just put paranoid on my nexus. I love it! Ill probably put on AOKP as my daily though.

http://www.paranoid-rom.com/
http://aokp.co/

Find your phone on XDA for the latest roms!

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #346 on: Thu, 30 May 2013, 11:32:01 »
HTC just announced a "Google edition" HTC One.  The One without the bloat... I think they just took the crown for world's best smartphone!

Offline Jocelyn

• 조셀린
« Reply #347 on: Thu, 30 May 2013, 11:35:30 »
HTC just announced a "Google edition" HTC One.  The One without the bloat... I think they just took the crown for world's best smartphone!

Yes, only $600

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #348 on: Thu, 30 May 2013, 12:26:21 »
No carrier subsidy, the way it is supposed to be. :)

Offline Jocelyn

• 조셀린
« Reply #349 on: Thu, 30 May 2013, 12:29:41 »
No carrier subsidy, the way it is supposed to be. :)

Sure, but I'd get a Nexus at $350 instead and save the $250 for the next Nexus. That said, I only pay $50/month for unlimited everything, so I welcome the subsidy/discounts that allowed me to purchase a Note 2 for only $200 and will also allow me to buy a Note 3 for the same price :)

Edit - Actually, I only paid $100 for my Note 2 and this was right around release. Subsidies only suck if you're paying a high monthly rate :p
« Last Edit: Thu, 30 May 2013, 12:50:26 by Jocelyn »