Author Topic: Laserdisc LIVES!  (Read 1426 times)

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
Laserdisc LIVES!
« on: Tue, 25 June 2013, 16:30:22 »
OK, this was too amazing not to share. As a child of the '80s and early '90s I had heard tale of the legend but thought it to be but the ramblings of rich geeks. Lo, did I not know the technology of perfection existed, only to have it be revealed in the basement of my spoiled rich schoolmate. And behold I did on that day, not only the wonder of the Neo Geo AES system in all it's 24bit glory, but the superior picture and sound of Fantasia in 12.1 surround sound on Laserdisc. And so the legend lay dormant for all these many years until...
http://www.watchcartoononline.com/regular-show-season-4-episode-30-the-last-laserdisc-player

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
Re: Laserdisc LIVES!
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 25 June 2013, 16:32:56 »
My old roommate used to collect music laserdiscs -- like live shows of garth brooks and stuff.
11:48 -!- SmallFry [~SmallFry@unaffiliated/smallfry] has quit [Ping timeout: 245 seconds] ... rest in peace

Offline jwaz

• * based mod
  • #geekhack on freenode
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 25 June 2013, 16:45:57 »
My dad has a few laserdiscs around, apparently some of them are quite collectible and fetch a pretty penny.

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 25 June 2013, 16:49:16 »
We used to have Bladerunner on Laserdisc. Not sure what happened to it, though :(

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 25 June 2013, 17:36:26 »
I have thought about getting a player. From time to time I see somebody's collection laying around at a yard sale or thrift store.

Is the technology still vibrant or is it just quaint?

Remember that I have a large collection of LPs that I love and prefer to digital music, but to me the distinction is analog vs digital, and I am more or less indifferent to different flavors of digital, unless the quality is dramatically different.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline clockwork

« Reply #5 on: Wed, 26 June 2013, 02:05:37 »
Is the technology still vibrant or is it just quaint?

Remember that I have a large collection of LPs that I love and prefer to digital music, but to me the distinction is analog vs digital, and I am more or less indifferent to different flavors of digital, unless the quality is dramatically different.
Laserdisc is more of an analog format than a digital format - the video is analog and the audio can be digital, analog, or both.

A well mastered and encoded DVD should be a better source than a Laserdisc, just like a well mastered CD is a better source than vinyl. The key is the well mastered part, and since Laserdisc always was an expensive niche format it's more likely to be well mastered than a random DVD.  Vinyl is the niche format for music, and tends to get the better mastering job, though this is partially due to the fact that vinyl can't physically handle the poor mastering job found on most mass market CDs these days.