Author Topic: Anyone here uses linux?  (Read 23094 times)

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
Re: Anyone here uses linux?
« Reply #100 on: Sun, 28 July 2013, 19:52:47 »
While you may not be able to use the HP software you can still set up a printer and scanner easily for them. Ubuntu has some sort of backup software they push now but I just set up rysnc and forget about it. You can do this for your clients as well without the need for them to do anything but make sure their backup drive is plugged in (or if off-site just make sure the PC is on a connected to the Internet.)

At which point not only did you just once again make it a geeks only OS, but it would also put me out of business as soon as I set it up for them.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline alaricljs

• I be WOT'ing all day...
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #101 on: Sun, 28 July 2013, 19:56:07 »
Are you saying that you rely on improperly engineered solutions for repeat business, and that you rely on this repeat business for continuity?
Filco w/ Imsto thick PBT
Ducky 1087XM PCB+Plate, w/ Matias "Quiet Click" spring-swapped w/ XM Greens

Offline linziyi

• The one with many questions
« Reply #102 on: Sun, 28 July 2013, 20:01:39 »
It's very easy to set up anything in Ubuntu now, it works just like Windows nowadays: install all the modules and load all of them when booting up, scarifying speed for compatibility.
Ducky DK9008G2 Pro

"Much to learn you still have" --Yoda

Offline smknjoe

• I like tactile, clicky, switches.
« Reply #103 on: Sun, 28 July 2013, 20:18:52 »
LOL, I don't know how to respond to that LA. I guess you mean rsync is geeky? Here is a pic of the "Control Panel" for Ubuntu if you think it's less geeky. From what I can tell the backup application is very similar to Apple's Time Machine. Just set it and forget it.

SSKs for everyone!

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #104 on: Sun, 28 July 2013, 22:01:58 »
Are you saying that you rely on improperly engineered solutions for repeat business, and that you rely on this repeat business for continuity?
Are you saying I'm any different than the entire car industry?  :p
Or how about Hp selling printers that drink ink like vampires?

Actually, while my business is much more than just chasing viruses and the like, I didn't create it, I just benefit from it.

It's very easy to set up anything in Ubuntu now, it works just like Windows nowadays: install all the modules and load all of them when booting up, scarifying speed for compatibility.
You lost half my customers when you said "install", however one thing many people forget, is that you still have to convince a customer to remove or alter Windows just to even try and install Linux. That alone, pretty much scares the bejeezus out of 99% of the population.

It doesn't matter how safe it is, there is still some risk and they have no way to fix it if something goes wrong. Remember, you just trashed their entire OS and possibly lost all of their data. Even if they managed to get Linux installed, they probably won't be able to find their old data. Changing an OS isn't something to be taken lightly... Unless you're a geek.

LOL, I don't know how to respond to that LA. I guess you mean rsync is geeky? Here is a pic of the "Control Panel" for Ubuntu if you think it's less geeky. From what I can tell the backup application is very similar to Apple's Time Machine. Just set it and forget it.
Not the backup, but the scanner system, rsync as well though.

To be honest, most people have never even heard of Linux, many barely even realize that Mac exists.
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline linziyi

• The one with many questions
« Reply #105 on: Sun, 28 July 2013, 22:16:19 »
Maybe you misunderstood my post, I am saying how windows OPERATE, not "installing linux and screwing up your precious windows in the process".
Ducky DK9008G2 Pro

"Much to learn you still have" --Yoda

Offline Hypersphere

« Reply #106 on: Mon, 29 July 2013, 13:25:02 »
Of course, if people want to try out linux while keeping Windows on their system, they could run linux from a live CD or have someone set them up with a dual-boot system.

Offline rknize

• * Administrator
    • metaruss
« Reply #107 on: Mon, 29 July 2013, 13:31:02 »
Ubuntu is fairly turn-key these days.  I have installed the LTS on dozens of old laptops and PCs with excellent results.  Most of the people I have done this for have been quite happy with it, as I made it very clear at the start what the limitations would be.  Some of them love the Software Center, even though many of the apps are perpetually half-baked.  The rest are the types of people that need a web browser, email client, and office suite.  No one needs to throw their old hardware away and pay Microsoft thousands of dollars for this anymore.  It's just silly.

I am no fan of Unity and cannot use it's absurd workflows on my main work and home machines, but I do use it on my own laptops because it "just works".  I don't need 8-12 work spaces there and don't mind that my session is lost each time I reboot.  As with many Ubuntu refugees, I chose Linux Mint (Debian Edition) as my desktop of choice.  MATE at work and Cinnamon and home.  My servers all run some blend of Debian stable/testing, depending where the Debian release cycle happens to be.  Before Ubuntu existed, I used Debian on my desktop, so it's a little deja vu to be running LMDE.  Before I settled on Debian (potato), I went through Gentoo, SuSE, Red Hat, Slackware, LFS, etc, dating back to the mid-90s.  They all had/have various shortcomings and Debian felt like the right fit for me at the time (probably 2000 or so).  I've been happy with it ever since.

I've been a MythTV user for many years (since v0.7) with 2 back ends and several front ends.  Upgrades can be problematic sometimes and the migration away from analog television has degraded its usefulness significantly.  However my family still uses it, so I keep it going.  The Myth drive cluster is where my old HDs go to live out their sunset years.  :)

I have a decrepit, old PC at work to do the 3 things I need Windoze for and Windows 7 at home to play games on a gaming-only rig that I rarely use these days.  Virtual machines don't work for either of those.  I would go crazy if I had to use Windows as my main OS, though I was pleasantly surprised with 7.  I do have a few Virtual Box clients running XP that I use for various (mostly work-related) things at home.  I used CrossOver for many years, mainly to bridge the Office gap.  I almost never need it now, thanks to LibreOffice.  I have a Brother network printer/scanner that worked perfectly out of the box with all of my machines, so no complaints there.  Before that I network-printed to various HP DeskJets via CUPS on my main server.  Very reliable, even though the printers themselves weren't.

So yeah, you need to be a little adventurous and willing to learn to migrate your primary computer to a Linux distribution.  For Ubuntu specifically, there is a plethora of user-level support in the forums and so forth.  A lot of GNU/Linux newbies all learning together.  These days, the chances that you'll need to bust out the console and fiddle with text files are less and less.  It's been an amazing transition to watch.
Russ

Offline Thimplum

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Master of all Ponies
« Reply #108 on: Mon, 29 July 2013, 15:09:03 »
Of course, if people want to try out linux while keeping Windows on their system, they could run linux from a live CD or have someone set them up with a dual-boot system.

Eek.

I just tried out ubuntu on a livecd.

Me wants to switch.

I love vim.

And you launch it by going to a terminal and typing 'vi'.

TP4 FOR ADMIN 2013

Offline smknjoe

« Reply #109 on: Mon, 29 July 2013, 15:11:22 »
Reading comprehension isn't what it used to be. ;)
SSKs for everyone!

Offline Thimplum

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Master of all Ponies
« Reply #110 on: Mon, 29 July 2013, 15:14:51 »
Reading comprehension isn't what it used to be. ;)

wat
TP4 FOR ADMIN 2013

Offline smknjoe

« Reply #111 on: Mon, 29 July 2013, 15:20:39 »
If you read through the thread I mentioned Live boot at least once.
SSKs for everyone!

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #112 on: Mon, 29 July 2013, 16:34:32 »

Eek.

Me wants to switch.

I love vim.

ಠ_ಠ
11:48 -!- SmallFry [~SmallFry@unaffiliated/smallfry] has quit [Ping timeout: 245 seconds] ... rest in peace

Offline CommunistWitchDr

• >implying keyboards
« Reply #113 on: Mon, 29 July 2013, 16:42:57 »

Eek.

Me wants to switch.

I love vim.

No you can't. That launches vi. You have to install vim (or gvim) and type "vim" to launch it.

Offline Thimplum

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Master of all Ponies
« Reply #114 on: Mon, 29 July 2013, 16:47:37 »

Eek.

Me wants to switch.

I love vim.

No you can't. That launches vi. You have to install vim (or gvim) and type "vim" to launch it.

I apologize for lying about my experience with ubuntu 13.04.

I really do.

/sarcasm
TP4 FOR ADMIN 2013

Offline CommunistWitchDr

• >implying keyboards
« Reply #115 on: Mon, 29 July 2013, 17:02:17 »

Eek.

Me wants to switch.

I love vim.

I really do.

/sarcasm
Sorry if I came off as a bit snippy, just want to make sure you understand vi and vim are different beasts. If you try to use vi like vim it will not end well.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #116 on: Mon, 29 July 2013, 17:18:57 »
vi, vim and elvis are all different.  I prefer elvis.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline smknjoe

« Reply #117 on: Mon, 29 July 2013, 17:19:03 »
Emacs rulz! lol
Nano is very easy for newbies. Don't hurt yourself with trying to use Vim! ;)
SSKs for everyone!

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #118 on: Mon, 29 July 2013, 17:29:13 »
I tried emacs a few times, but I've been using vi-like editors for far too long now to switch permanently.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Thimplum

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Master of all Ponies
« Reply #119 on: Mon, 29 July 2013, 17:39:24 »

Eek.

Me wants to switch.

I love vim.

I really do.

/sarcasm
Sorry if I came off as a bit snippy, just want to make sure you understand vi and vim are different beasts. If you try to use vi like vim it will not end well.

You didn't, but I did! Sorry.

It may be ubuntu specific, but 'vi' legitimately starts VIM.

From https://help.ubuntu.com/community/VimHowto

"You can start vim in console mode by typing vi or vim at the terminal"
TP4 FOR ADMIN 2013

Offline CommunistWitchDr

• >implying keyboards
« Reply #120 on: Mon, 29 July 2013, 18:06:36 »

B... but... how do you start vi?

Offline Thimplum

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Master of all Ponies
« Reply #121 on: Mon, 29 July 2013, 18:12:08 »

I have no idea.

I won't even pretend to be a linux expert.
TP4 FOR ADMIN 2013

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #122 on: Mon, 29 July 2013, 18:45:53 »

Why would you do that? You can always run Vim in compatibility mode, if you need that for whatever wicked reason.

Offline hashbaz

• Grand Ancient One
  • * Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #123 on: Mon, 29 July 2013, 19:05:17 »
"vi" launches vim on most distributions, I believe.  The original vi is not installed at all.  Is it even open source? (tied to UNIX perhaps?)

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #124 on: Mon, 29 July 2013, 19:14:02 »
rowdy@athena:~$ which vi
/usr/bin/vi
rowdy@athena:~$ ls -l /usr/bin/vi
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 20 2010-08-18 16:48 /usr/bin/vi -> /etc/alternatives/vi
rowdy@athena:~$ ls -l /etc/alternatives/vi
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 14 2010-08-18 16:48 /etc/alternatives/vi -> /usr/bin/elvis

So when I run vi I get elvis :)

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #125 on: Mon, 29 July 2013, 21:04:52 »
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline dndlmx

« Reply #126 on: Tue, 30 July 2013, 18:32:59 »
Is it even open source? (tied to UNIX perhaps?)

Good question. It first appeared on BSD UNIX, and its license says BSD. But "BSD" then and now, are quite different of course. It's probably closed, if I'm correct there aren't any forks, only work-alikes.

But FreeBSD ships with the actual vi, maybe it was opened up later...? :eek:

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #127 on: Tue, 30 July 2013, 18:42:28 »
Is it even open source? (tied to UNIX perhaps?)

Good question. It first appeared on BSD UNIX, and its license says BSD. But "BSD" then and now, are quite different of course. It's probably closed, if I'm correct there aren't any forks, only work-alikes.

But FreeBSD ships with the actual vi, maybe it was opened up later...? :eek:

it's still bsd licensed. not closed. there are proprietary implementations but those are mostly found on closed unix systems.
11:48 -!- SmallFry [~SmallFry@unaffiliated/smallfry] has quit [Ping timeout: 245 seconds] ... rest in peace

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #128 on: Tue, 30 July 2013, 19:01:02 »
Open BSD is open source.
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #129 on: Tue, 30 July 2013, 19:02:48 »
Open BSD is open source.

thank you leslieann i had forgotten ;)

Offline dndlmx

« Reply #130 on: Tue, 30 July 2013, 19:09:15 »
I get confused, and suspected it was slightly different back then because:

A) AT&T sued the people branching off to 386BSD/FreeBSD/NetBSD.
B) Richard Stallman started GNU because UNIX was "proprietary", and BSD is a version of UNIX. So if the license then was exactly the same as today, would make it not much more proprietary than GNU.

Offline smknjoe

« Reply #131 on: Tue, 30 July 2013, 19:14:40 »
BSD (Berkeley Software Distribution) was fully licensed from ATT. The other versions are open/free branches based on BSD. Just like Linux is based on UNIX. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Unix_history-simple.svg
SSKs for everyone!

Offline alaricljs

• I be WOT'ing all day...
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #132 on: Tue, 30 July 2013, 20:02:07 »
386BSD was the first open BSD and it was a rewrite of the encumbered BSD.
Filco w/ Imsto thick PBT
Ducky 1087XM PCB+Plate, w/ Matias "Quiet Click" spring-swapped w/ XM Greens

Offline domoaligato

• * Exquisite Elder
  • All your base are belong to us!
« Reply #133 on: Tue, 30 July 2013, 20:42:21 »
minux 3 anyone? lol

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #134 on: Tue, 30 July 2013, 20:52:03 »
NetBSD?

Although, actually the default vi in NetBSD is:

Version nvi-1.81.6nb5 (2009-08-11) The CSRG, University of California,
Berkeley.
« Last Edit: Tue, 30 July 2013, 20:56:41 by rowdy »

Offline Thimplum

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Master of all Ponies
« Reply #135 on: Tue, 30 July 2013, 21:24:22 »
minux 3 anyone? lol

Which has to do with linux... how?
TP4 FOR ADMIN 2013

Offline smknjoe

« Reply #136 on: Tue, 30 July 2013, 21:42:20 »
minux 3 anyone? lol

Really? Minix was what Linus actually used to write Linux on.
SSKs for everyone!

Offline dndlmx

« Reply #137 on: Tue, 30 July 2013, 21:54:07 »
He started Linux in part because he thought Minix was sh**.  :))

Offline Thimplum

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Master of all Ponies
« Reply #138 on: Tue, 30 July 2013, 21:57:57 »
minux 3 anyone? lol

Really? Minix was what Linus actually used to write Linux on.

Yes yes I know, but it looked like domoaligato was trying to change subject, and it looks like it worked.
TP4 FOR ADMIN 2013

Offline smknjoe

« Reply #139 on: Tue, 30 July 2013, 22:20:23 »
Nice try...maybe next time.

SSKs for everyone!

Offline domoaligato

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #140 on: Tue, 30 July 2013, 23:16:35 »
It was already changed to bsd. if anything I helped change it back to linux with the Linus vs Tanenbaum reference.
:D

Offline smknjoe

« Reply #141 on: Tue, 30 July 2013, 23:25:10 »
It was already changed to bsd. if anything I helped change it back to linux with the Linus vs Tanenbaum reference.
:D

You definitely got us back on track with a very appropriate reference. Thanks!
SSKs for everyone!

Offline dndlmx

« Reply #142 on: Wed, 31 July 2013, 02:31:40 »
Sorry for rambling about off topic shtuff...  :rolleyes:

Offline bigx333

« Reply #143 on: Wed, 31 July 2013, 03:51:51 »
He started Linux in part because he thought Minix was sh**.  :))

Linus wrote Linux because

1 - Minix was paid
2 - It was limited, Minix was created to be an educational tool, not a real life operating system
3 - It's much more complex

Linus never argued that Linux was superior to Minix (more viable? yes).
2TU | LZ-GH

Offline phoenix1234

« Reply #144 on: Wed, 31 July 2013, 05:59:59 »
Hello, any linux user 'round here? Can you tell me something about your experience with it, and how it is compared to windows? thx

I use linux everyday at work and I love it.
To answer your questions, to compare between :
- Windows
- MacOS
- *nix (Unix and Linux-like)
I think we may need a lot of time because we may end up with comparing apples and pears.
Each OS has its own advantages and disadvantages.

But I will try to recap the short version of the comparison as follows :

Linux is good for command-line system, powerful kernel for multi-tasking server or dedicated workstation. Some applications on Linux run much more better than on Windows environment, e.g. Apache Web Server. However, Linux still has some disadvantages like the device management engine of Linux could be an issue with new users, sometimes it does not work out of the boxes, e.g. USB 3.0 on Linux could be an issue since it is first released. The life cycle of an Linux distro is also an issue with users because normally it has short life cycle, users may have no support after 2-3 years, e.g. Ubuntu 9.

Generally, Windows has a good UI engine, even it sucks sometimes. On Windows, we may have a lot of options for gaming, business applications and home usages. However, Windows has many security concerns, it also has infamous BSoD 'Blue Screen of Death' issue which usually appears when unexpected issues related to hardware happen.

To conclude, I think it depends on the jobs we may have different answers for the OS.
« Last Edit: Wed, 31 July 2013, 06:05:08 by phoenix1234 »
I like linear switches

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #145 on: Wed, 31 July 2013, 06:54:34 »
e.g. USB 3.0 on Linux could be an issue since it is first released.

Tell me about it. Linux had USB 3.0 drivers in upstream long before the hardware became common or even available in the mass market.

The life cycle of an Linux distro is also an issue with users because normally it has short life cycle, users may have no support after 2-3 years, e.g. Ubuntu 9.

No, it isn't. Most common distros are very open about their release schedule and anyone who expect long-term support from every release of every distro even though it's stated by developers that the release will be supported for X months, is an idiot.

If someone wants stable system (stable as in "not constantly changing"), recent Ubuntu LTS releases are supported for 5 years, and it's more in case of Debian or enterprise distros such as RHEL or SLE*.

Offline phoenix1234

« Reply #146 on: Wed, 31 July 2013, 07:16:44 »
e.g. USB 3.0 on Linux could be an issue since it is first released.

Tell me about it. Linux had USB 3.0 drivers in upstream long before the hardware became common or even available in the mass market.

The life cycle of an Linux distro is also an issue with users because normally it has short life cycle, users may have no support after 2-3 years, e.g. Ubuntu 9.

No, it isn't. Most common distros are very open about their release schedule and anyone who expect long-term support from every release of every distro even though it's stated by developers that the release will be supported for X months, is an idiot.

If someone wants stable system (stable as in "not constantly changing"), recent Ubuntu LTS releases are supported for 5 years, and it's more in case of Debian or enterprise distros such as RHEL or SLE*.

I think there is an explanation about the issue of Linux USB 3.0 here:
http://askubuntu.com/questions/12139/does-ubuntu-support-usb-3-0
Indeed, it is the first OS supports USB 3.0 but to run as SuperSpeed (xhci), we need to work around sometimes on some distro :
http://askubuntu.com/questions/24556/why-wont-usb-3-0-external-hard-drive-run-at-usb-3-0-speeds
http://forums.tweaktown.com/asrock/51326-usb-3-0-external-drive-not-transfering-data-superspeed.html

For the second points, you are right about Ubuntu LTS for 5 years and there could be more distro support LTS but I think I just pick up an example of of disadvantages which may not always happen. Plus, we also have a lot of distro besides Ubuntu (Mint, Arch, Mageia, Fedora, OpenSuse, etc.) and the community of Linux in the world is different between area and region.
I like linear switches

Offline Hypersphere

« Reply #147 on: Wed, 31 July 2013, 07:43:47 »
Yes, regarding long term support for a given distro release, Ubuntu and its derivatives have 5-year long-term support (LTS) versions, and CentOS, a free clone of RHEL, offers 10-year support.

Offline CommunistWitchDr

• >implying keyboards
« Reply #148 on: Wed, 31 July 2013, 10:00:44 »
BSD (Berkeley Software Distribution) was fully licensed from ATT. The other versions are open/free branches based on BSD. Just like Linux is based on UNIX. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Unix_history-simple.svg

GNU/Linux is in no way based on Unix, it is just Unix like. Just like if I went out and made an operating system that resembled Windows from scratch it wouldn't be Windows based, just Windows like.

Fun fact- GNU actually stands for "GNU's not Unix".

Offline tipo33

• "Ski"
« Reply #149 on: Wed, 31 July 2013, 11:16:36 »

GNU/Linux is in no way based on Unix, it is just Unix like. Just like if I went out and made an operating system that resembled Windows from scratch it wouldn't be Windows based, just Windows like.

Fun fact- GNU actually stands for "GNU's not Unix".

I don't agree,  the best way I've heard it described is "BSD is what you get when a bunch of UNIX hackers try to make a UNIX clone.  Linux is what you get when a bunch of PC hackers try to make a UNIX clone."  They are very similar, they just have different goals.
KM4COL    R.I.P.  SmallFry