Author Topic: Ergodox EZ: Individual Key Efforts/Costs/Penalties  (Read 7593 times)

Offline yumea

Ergodox EZ: Individual Key Efforts/Costs/Penalties
« on: Sun, 12 November 2017, 12:17:55 »
Dear All,

for my Ergodox EZ I have been optimising layouts (for German) for a long time, but I am not satisfied with the layouts yet.
One decisive factor for the optimisation results are the Individual Key Efforts/Costs/Penalties, which I want to bring inth discussion here.

181995-0

The keys marked yellow are those of interest to me. I always use the same values for both hands (mirrored horizontally), a table of the values for the left side is sufficient accordingly.
I have used various sets of values for them.

These are some of the sets (for the left side; the right side is just mirrored):

5.2 3.5 3.5 3.5 5
1 0 0 0 3
5 5 5 5 5.5

another set:
7 1 1 1 3
5 0 0 0 2
7 2 3 1 3

another set:
9 5 2 3 4
3 1 0 0 1
8 5 3 2 4

I do not have any preference for any of these sets, they are just meant as examples. Which different values do you think meet the actual efforts better?
Are there popular ones, official ones or values that have been obtained for the Ergodox or a similar keyboard in an objective way like a measurement?
« Last Edit: Sun, 12 November 2017, 12:39:21 by yumea »

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
Re: Ergodox EZ: Individual Key Efforts/Costs/Penalties
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 12 November 2017, 13:21:27 »
Are there popular ones, official ones or values that have been obtained for the Ergodox or a similar keyboard in an objective way like a measurement?
No.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 13 November 2017, 12:31:39 »
Layout is among the least critical aspect to keyboards.

The reason people even talk about layout is because they're on flat keyboards.

And when the keyboard is flat,  EVERY Layout is BAD.. because the keyboard is bad..

Now that you're on an ergodox..  Get on High tenting , and you're done.. You can safely ignore all layout considerations.

Offline dustpuppy

« Reply #3 on: Thu, 01 February 2018, 08:40:51 »
Layout is among the least critical aspect to keyboards.

The reason people even talk about layout is because they're on flat keyboards.

And when the keyboard is flat,  EVERY Layout is BAD.. because the keyboard is bad..

Now that you're on an ergodox..  Get on High tenting , and you're done.. You can safely ignore all layout considerations.

I don’t expect my layout to yield any ergonomic benefits, but it’s nice to place often used keys in an easily accessible location. Any developer who uses brackets often owes it to himself to make those easily reachable.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 01 February 2018, 08:50:56 »
OP, I know you're using German, but perhaps this is relevant to your project:

Layout Analysis: Dvorak/Colemak/MTGAP/Carpalx/Workman/my own
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."