Author Topic: I'm REALLY trying to like Topre...  (Read 49395 times)

Offline happylacquer

• BS Apologist
    • BHOBuds
Re: I'm REALLY trying to like Topre...
« Reply #50 on: Thu, 30 March 2017, 19:07:38 »
I'm convinced people who claim Topre feels drastically different to standard rubber domes either have broken fingers or are 100% about the hype.

I like to act like this is true of MX fans but it's so undeniably true of Topre fans!

(FYI I consider people who type differently than me to have broken fingers  ;D )

Offline happylacquer

• BS Apologist
    • BHOBuds
« Reply #51 on: Thu, 30 March 2017, 19:08:25 »
If such a person with bad initial technique goes BACK to topre,  then that rubbery feel could cause him to Relapse..

HAHAHA

oh... i see ... yea.. bad phrasing..

But in context it's fine.. ..

if you remove the context ,, then it's bad

It's good  :thumb:

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #52 on: Thu, 30 March 2017, 19:19:44 »
I'm convinced people who claim Topre feels drastically different to standard rubber domes either have broken fingers or are 100% about the hype.

It isn't totally different from a rubber dome board but it does feel like a quality rubber dome board, also topre boards get better with age unlike a standard rubber dome.
People in the 1980s, in general, were clearly just better than we are now in every measurable way.

The dumber the reason the more it must be done

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #53 on: Thu, 30 March 2017, 19:20:45 »

It isn't totally different from a rubber dome board but it does feel like a quality rubber dome board, also topre boards get better with age unlike a standard rubber dome.

/heavy breathing

........../resisting conflict

Offline bmilcs

• bryan | bmilcs
    • bmilcs world
« Reply #54 on: Thu, 30 March 2017, 19:28:13 »
Yeah. The hype for Topre is insane. There is an exceedingly positive general outlook on the switch... so much that I am putting the blame on myself for finding it less than ideal. I will see how it is after modification :P

OP here: I have a standing desk, and constantly adjust the height depending on my posture. I swap between a yoga ball, desk chair, standing, and also have a mini elliptical that I use as a stationary bike and standing elliptical at times. I am hyper aware of my posture and all that.

I think it's a combination of all the things I've mentioned. The lack of GMK is really, really hard to deal with as well. I've completely relearned to type and when in a good groove, never bottom out on 62g korean springs. I found that if I don't touch type, and aggressively use my Realforces, they're better... but it's almost like I'm devolving... into a lesser typist by doing so.
« Last Edit: Thu, 30 March 2017, 19:31:57 by bmilcs »

TGR.JANE.V2 #40/40 <3 // TOKYO60 #1 // KBD75  #1 #2 #3 #4 // ES87  #1 #2 #3 #4 #5
INCOMPLETE  Duck Orion v3, 2 pcb black on black (might sell, pm me)  | SOUTHPAW.65

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #55 on: Thu, 30 March 2017, 19:36:00 »
Yeah. The hype for Topre is insane. There is an exceedingly positive general outlook on the switch... so much that I am putting the blame on myself for finding it less than ideal. I will see how it is after modification :P

OP here: I have a standing desk, and constantly adjust the height depending on my posture. I swap between a yoga ball, desk chair, standing, and also have a mini elliptical that I use as a stationary bike and standing elliptical at times. I am hyper aware of my posture and all that.

I think it's a combination of all the things I've mentioned. The lack of GMK is really, really hard to deal with as well. I've completely relearned to type and when in a good groove, never bottom out on 62g korean springs. I found that if I don't touch type, and aggressively use my Realforces, they're better... but it's almost like I'm devolving... into a lesser typist by doing so.

You've refuted one hype and inserted another .. hahahaha .. gmk..

Offline bmilcs

• bryan | bmilcs
    • bmilcs world
« Reply #56 on: Fri, 31 March 2017, 05:56:51 »

You've refuted one hype and inserted another .. hahahaha .. gmk..

Nah. GMK is the best. I was super duper skeptical and wasn't crazy for it at first. But I gave it a proper test and I can definitely say I prefer GMK over any other keycap. To each his own ;)

TGR.JANE.V2 #40/40 <3 // TOKYO60 #1 // KBD75  #1 #2 #3 #4 // ES87  #1 #2 #3 #4 #5
INCOMPLETE  Duck Orion v3, 2 pcb black on black (might sell, pm me)  | SOUTHPAW.65

Offline czarek

• Keep the momentum going!
    • FalbaTech
« Reply #57 on: Fri, 31 March 2017, 06:29:28 »
Well Topre is not really bad switch. It has its advantages. It is one of the smoothest switch out of the box, and it's capacitive which makes it 100% immune to chatter.
I do agree it's a hype though. It's caused by prices and availability of course. I think familar feel for those who grew up using normal Rubber dome also has something to do with it.
Of course many people will swear by Topre, just like any other switch, and that's all right. I like them a lot myself. They are one of my favourite switches - especially silent weighted version is delightful.
Please note though that my current daily driver is fullsize Filco with MX Browns - boring as hell, especially if you take into account tens of keyboards I own (including Realforces and HHKB, and Model Fs) :D
My little ErgoDox / GH60 factory: http://falbatech.pl

Offline opensecret

• 公开的秘密
« Reply #58 on: Fri, 31 March 2017, 11:05:08 »

Please note though that my current daily driver is fullsize Filco with MX Browns - boring as hell, especially if you take into account tens of keyboards I own (including Realforces and HHKB, and Model Fs) :D
Your view makes sense.  Every user is different, and every board has its pluses and minuses. I’m convinced there’s no board that is miraculously better than anything else out there.

Topre is a great switch (I’m particularly partial to the variable weight RF boards), but I think the same is true for Alps and Cherry.  For some people there is no switch other than buckling spring, but I gave my Model M to my wife who’s willing to type on almost anything and isn't really aware that she's typing on a classic piece of hardware.  Lately I’ve been mostly alternating between a WASD with o-ringed browns and a new 50g XMIT Hall effect board (which actuates at 35g -- I like a light touch). 

If I tried a board, and my initial reaction was that it felt harsh and produced RSI, I’d says that one just isn’t for me.
IBM Model M |Matias Mini Quiet Pro|Plum 84EC-S|RealForce 103U-UW & 87U-UW|Omnikey Ultra T| 2 Omnikey Ultras| WASD V2| Xmit Hall Effect|

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek
« Reply #59 on: Fri, 31 March 2017, 11:31:08 »
Well Topre is not really bad switch. It has its advantages. It is one of the smoothest switch out of the box, and it's capacitive which makes it 100% immune to chatter.
I do agree it's a hype though. It's caused by prices and availability of course. I think familar feel for those who grew up using normal Rubber dome also has something to do with it.
Of course many people will swear by Topre, just like any other switch, and that's all right. I like them a lot myself. They are one of my favourite switches - especially silent weighted version is delightful.

czarek is spot on, you got to have a wide variety of boards in the rotation, from the Dell Quiet Key up to the Korean Custom. I thought I could purge some boards only to find myself wanting to swap them around. +1 for repping the most-hated cherry brown mx, it doesn't get the love it deserves! :)

Offline zslane

« Reply #60 on: Fri, 31 March 2017, 12:12:59 »
I would say the Topre switch is well-loved, but not over-hyped. If you want to talk about over-hyped, go to any thread that discusses the HHKB...  :p

Offline swagpiratex

« Reply #61 on: Fri, 31 March 2017, 12:18:13 »
RSI are caused by incorrect application of force, which is the cause of trauma.

Topre caused some issues,   the mx does not.
Your analysis is incorrect.

Please reread, cause of RSI is improper technique (user error). A rubber dome switch doesn't cause someone to injure themselves. It's a switch.

Moot point though, since OP said he's very aware of his posture. He just needs to acclimate.

« Last Edit: Fri, 31 March 2017, 12:26:24 by swagpiratex »

Offline dante

« Reply #62 on: Fri, 31 March 2017, 12:36:18 »

Ok my first problem with the whole Rubber Dome vs. Topre debate which I'm sure will continue to be regurgitated for years is this label of "Rubber Dome."

First off "Rubber Dome = BAD, Topre = GOOD!"  Ok, WHICH Rubber Dome?  Nobody ever states this - they take a Dell or a Microsoft board and just lump the entire spectrum into what they've only used.  Never mind there have probably been near (if not) triple digits of variations of membrane boards made.  (Have you tried them all?)

Next is the propaganda.  "Topre is so smooth!"  Yeah?  So why does it seem like 9 out of 10 users are lubing their boards?

I then hear tales of rubber domes "wearing out" in as little as two weeks.  Again, WHICH Rubber Domes wear out in as little as two weeks?  Do you mean get lighter feeling?  It's possible.  Topres are also known to get lighter in as little as two weeks.

I'm not saying people can't enjoy Topre more than the specific and limited number of rubber domes they've tried but lets keep the BS to a minimum please?

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #63 on: Fri, 31 March 2017, 13:10:38 »
RSI are caused by incorrect application of force, which is the cause of trauma.

Please reread, cause of RSI is improper technique (user error). A rubber dome switch doesn't cause someone to injure themselves. It's a switch.

Moot point though, since OP said he's very aware of his posture. He just needs to acclimate.

At some point in time after switching to MX,  the op didn't have any RSI.

So then the relapse happened AFTER going back to Topre..

Topre is what triggered the relapse.

If you want to nail everything on strict agency, then we can argue all the way back to god did this, and it's all god's fault.. That's not the point i'm making.

The most proximal instigator of RSI here is the Topre.

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #64 on: Fri, 31 March 2017, 16:59:57 »

Ok my first problem with the whole Rubber Dome vs. Topre debate which I'm sure will continue to be regurgitated for years is this label of "Rubber Dome."

First off "Rubber Dome = BAD, Topre = GOOD!"  Ok, WHICH Rubber Dome?  Nobody ever states this - they take a Dell or a Microsoft board and just lump the entire spectrum into what they've only used.  Never mind there have probably been near (if not) triple digits of variations of membrane boards made.  (Have you tried them all?)

Next is the propaganda.  "Topre is so smooth!"  Yeah?  So why does it seem like 9 out of 10 users are lubing their boards?

I then hear tales of rubber domes "wearing out" in as little as two weeks.  Again, WHICH Rubber Domes wear out in as little as two weeks?  Do you mean get lighter feeling?  It's possible.  Topres are also known to get lighter in as little as two weeks.

I'm not saying people can't enjoy Topre more than the specific and limited number of rubber domes they've tried but lets keep the BS to a minimum please?

I never said all rubber dome boards are bad, I've used a few at work I actually like. Buckling rubber sleeve boards, like the ones made by Mitsumi, are also pretty nice depending on the board and so are some scissor switches. When I say rubber dome I'm talking about a rubber dome sheet over over 3 layers of plastic, aka. the classic rubber dome design, if I meant scissor switches or something else I'd specify what I was talking about.

I do think there's a lot of hype behind Topre that makes it sound better than it is but that's true for a lot of things in this hobby. OTD boards selling for several thousand dollars, clacks and other artisans selling for hundreds, the idea that Nixies are worth a few dollars a switch when the same feeling can be reproduced with a modded switch for much less. People just choose to call out hype on specific things when it suits them and they want to stand out from the general population. I'm not saying that the hype is a good thing but it's a reality across the hobby.
People in the 1980s, in general, were clearly just better than we are now in every measurable way.

Offline dante

« Reply #65 on: Fri, 31 March 2017, 18:36:56 »
Yeah I didn't mean you specifically.  I'm just a bitter old retro grouch tired of the nonsense.

I have no idea how I became a rubber dome defender.  I'm probably the only one on the forums that prefers them over Topre. LOL!

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #66 on: Fri, 31 March 2017, 18:48:05 »
Yeah I didn't mean you specifically.  I'm just a bitter old retro grouch tired of the nonsense.

I have no idea how I became a rubber dome defender.  I'm probably the only one on the forums that prefers them over Topre. LOL!

How do you feel about HHKB Lites?

Offline dante

« Reply #67 on: Fri, 31 March 2017, 18:56:10 »

How do you feel about HHKB Lites?

HHKB Lites feel alright by me.  But don't take my word for it though look in the Amazon reviews.  Some are buying another after using their previous for over 5 years.

Wait a minute how can that be?  I thought rubber domes only last two weeks tops?  :rolleyes:

Offline Polymer

« Reply #68 on: Fri, 31 March 2017, 19:01:24 »
When you say "have you tried them all" that's one of those silly arguments people make..you don't have to have tried every single one to make an assessment. 

There are a lot of very good rubber dome keyboards out there..do I think any of them are as good as Topre?  No..not even one.  Do I think some of them are still very good keyboards?  Yes of course.  A good slider creating a solid bottom out, stability, smoothness..it will feel very close to how Topre feels...At that point the only difference is they're likely not capacitive which does give you the impression of better responsiveness.  It is also more reliable. 

Add to this the keycaps are very good on Topre...Not a huge number of normal rubber dome keyboards with Dye Subbed PBT...

But curious as to which current rubber dome keyboards you like?  I actually don't mind one of the MS keyboards they used to make because of the stability and solid bottom out feel...but I don't prefer it to Topre..

It IS smooth..very smooth...and definitely 9 out of 10 are not lubing their Topre...But when modding your Topre board a lot of people do it...My guess is because the pads themselves probably make it feel less smooth..and it helps with the clanky spacebar stabilizer.
Rubber dome keyboards in general are very smooth.  The difference is they generally do not have the high quality slider that gives them that extra stability that will make it feel like it is smoother. 

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #69 on: Fri, 31 March 2017, 19:05:10 »
It's also worth mentioning every programmer worth their salt in Japan (that i know of) uses a topre

At least according to a few of my Japanese programmer friends
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #70 on: Fri, 31 March 2017, 19:17:12 »
It's also worth mentioning every programmer worth their salt in Japan (that i know of) uses a topre

Sort of similar to this, HHKBs seem to be the go to nice keyboard for non keyboard enthusiasts (or whatever you'd call us).

Offline iwantatrophy

« Reply #71 on: Fri, 31 March 2017, 23:12:32 »

Sort of similar to this, HHKBs seem to be the go to nice keyboard for non keyboard enthusiasts (or whatever you'd call us).

TBH, Japanese guys typically like to use Japanese products : most of my friends there have PS4s or Sony smartphones, so I won't be surprised if they regularly use Topre as keyboards.

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #72 on: Sat, 01 April 2017, 00:10:40 »
OP: How about posting something in Classifieds here to find out if someone would trade you a variable-weight RF for one of your fixed-weight ones? One style isn't necessarily more valuable than the other.
We are not chasing wildly after beauty with fear at our backs. – Natalie Goldberg

Offline happylacquer

• BS Apologist
    • BHOBuds
« Reply #73 on: Sat, 01 April 2017, 09:03:46 »

Ive seen you post pics of your artisans and ****. You can't call yourself a non enthusiast  ^-^ :))

Offline Thereminz

« Reply #74 on: Sat, 01 April 2017, 11:11:52 »
Dunno why people like topre so much

I tried it,  it was ok but people described  it as some life changing experience

Topre hype...it's not even mechanical

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #75 on: Sat, 01 April 2017, 14:40:53 »

I tried it,  it was ok but people described  it as some life changing experience

It is hype..   But it is mechanical..   any keyboard with moving parts is mechanical.

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #76 on: Sat, 01 April 2017, 19:03:49 »

It is hype..   But it is mechanical..   any keyboard with moving parts is mechanical.
Then so is a rubber dome keyboard :p .

But I honestly believe a lot of the hype is buyer's justification.
Check my keyboard video reviews:

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #77 on: Sat, 01 April 2017, 19:17:55 »

It HAS to be buyer's justification..

There is no other explanation..  Anytime someone professes such non-technical devotion to a machine, it's 100% emotionally driven..  There is no objective evaluation in there to be had..

Tp4 is one with the egdx, but the Difference is Tp4's obsession hinges upon very specific Functional assessments as to why the Egdx is superior to all other keyboards on the market.

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek
« Reply #78 on: Sat, 01 April 2017, 19:19:17 »

It HAS to be buyer's justification..

There is no other explanation..  Anytime someone professes such non-technical devotion to a machine, it's 100% emotionally driven..  There is no objective evaluation in there to be had..

Tp4 is one with the egdx, but the Difference is Tp4's obsession hinges upon very specific Functional assessments as to why the Egdx is superior to all other keyboards on the market.

Please break down it down in a math equation

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #79 on: Sat, 01 April 2017, 19:44:00 »

Tp4 dare not challenge Digi's immense math prowess

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek
« Reply #80 on: Sat, 01 April 2017, 19:44:55 »

Tp4 dare not challenge Digi's immense math prowess

Offline jcoffin1981

« Reply #81 on: Sat, 01 April 2017, 23:13:16 »
All kinds of RSI are caused by incorrect application of force, which is the cause of trauma. Typing technique can be adjusted rather easily (using a technique that hurts, vs one that doesn't hurt.)

Posture is more difficult to correct, especially if you aren't aware of the issue. And as the day goes on, also becomes to more difficult to self-correct since supporting skeletal muscles become fatigued as well. This is 100% related to posture, RSI is inherently a biomechanical problem.

There is no objective way to say one is harder than the other to do.

We can safely assume that either is do-able..

But this can not be posture related, because he's using 2 different keyboards on the same chair and table.

All kinds of RSI are caused by incorrect application of force, which is the cause of trauma. Typing technique can be adjusted rather easily (using a technique that hurts, vs one that doesn't hurt.)

Posture is more difficult to correct, especially if you aren't aware of the issue. And as the day goes on, also becomes to more difficult to self-correct since supporting skeletal muscles become fatigued as well. This is 100% related to posture, RSI is inherently a biomechanical problem.

There is no objective way to say one is harder than the other to do.

We can safely assume that either is do-able..

But this can not be posture related, because he's using 2 different keyboards on the same chair and table.

I'm not sure how the board itself would cause RSI unless the force curve causes one to slam down and bottom out the keys or the angle is not adjusted properly.
I've suffered from some pretty bad carpal tunnel with pain and numbness in my first two fingers.  Poor ergonomics at work.  I raised the level of the monitors 4 or 5 inches and raised the chair and moved the keyboards closer.  This forces a very erect posture and holding your arms and wrists similar to a piano player.  Leaning forward and hunched over kind of forces you to rest your wrist on the table and slump your back, head, and shoulders forward.

After about 6 or 7 months the pain and numbness is about 90% resolved.
KPB V60 Gateron Browns and Leopold Keycaps.  Poker 3 with Gateron Browns and Poker keycaps.  Poker 3 with Cherry MX Browns, ABS keycaps and white LED's.

Leopold FC660M- my new favorite, right out of the box.

Offline dante

« Reply #82 on: Sun, 02 April 2017, 10:17:19 »
When you say "have you tried them all" that's one of those silly arguments people make..you don't have to have tried every single one to make an assessment.

So if I understand you right then if I try Black Alps and don't like them then don't bother trying any other Alps switches because they all suck too?

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #83 on: Sun, 02 April 2017, 11:05:19 »
I've only tried a 45g RealForce and did not like it at all.  It was far too light and odd.  I might have had a different opinion of Topre if it were a 55g variety.  There's also a good level of hype about buckling spring keyboards, and I can't honestly say that I like those either--I've tried a couple Model Ms and also briefly tested an F, and... meh.  In my experimentation with various switches over time, I've learned that different tasks call for different switches.  For example if I want to spam a few keys for gaming, I want something like MX Blacks/Linear switches.  If I type a lot quickly, I very much prefer a light relaxing experience of something like lubricated 62g MX Blacks with Cherry profile keycaps or else MX Browns with thin OEM profile keycaps.  If I do a random combination of basic stuff like e-mail, adobe Lightroom/Photoshop, occasional forum posts, etc.--my default favorite is stock spring MX Clear switch, but I also really enjoy using my short-throw soft spring "Jailhouse Blues" on my daily driver keyboard.  I LOVE SA keycaps, I just hate using them.  Unless maybe I had a very very low profile keyboard, and my desk were a couple inches lower.  etc., etc.

So the point is the same as what a number of others made before me: there's no one-board-fits-all situation.  And furthermore, your task, your typing technique and posture, and even keyboard height and profile, and keycaps--all have an effect on what your preferred keyboard should be.  You can change any number of things on your Realforce before you could decide that you suddenly love it.  Or that moment might not arrive, and you'll go back to your keyboard with ergo-Clears.
- Keyboards: LZ-GH (Jailhouse Blues)M65-a, MIRA SE, E8-V1, MOON TKL, CA66
- Keyboard Case Painting Tips -
- Join Mechanical Keyboards photography group on Flickr -

Offline bmilcs

• bryan | bmilcs
    • bmilcs world
« Reply #84 on: Sun, 02 April 2017, 17:38:23 »
Right on. Thank you all for your input...

I'm going to shift the direction of the conversation to my current scenario...

According to the guide posted on another geekhack thread... 3/16" was perfect for the mod. Here is a picture of my Topre stems disassembled with a 3/16" added to it.

I ordered some 3/18" Extra Heavy bands from Amazon and here's how big they are...

Compared to the original post...

Is this right? 3/16"? So confused.

Also, does anyone have any tips for removing an unknown lubricant from Topre stems? Should I throw them in a mixing bowl and wash with soap and water? Isopropyl alcohol?

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #85 on: Sun, 02 April 2017, 18:28:11 »

According to the guide posted on another geekhack thread... 3/16" was perfect for the mod. Here is a picture of my Topre stems disassembled with a 3/16" added to it.

I ordered some 3/18" Extra Heavy bands from Amazon and here's how big they are...

Show Image

Show Image

Also, does anyone have any tips for removing an unknown lubricant from Topre stems? Should I throw them in a mixing bowl and wash with soap and water? Isopropyl alcohol?

Those look totally wrong compared to what I used ages ago. Don't have any pics to show though.

It could also be the perspective and zoom being used but I don't remember mine looking quite like that.

I wonder if it could be a different thickness/weight even though it is still 3/16", notice in these photos there seem to be different weight options.

EDIT: Reading again you said you bought extra heavy, that is your problem you need medium, 3.5oz, 3/16".

Offline MJ45

• HHKB Pro
« Reply #86 on: Sun, 02 April 2017, 18:38:02 »
"Is this right? 3/16"? So confused."
Any size dental bands are just wrong, IMHO Hypershere rings or RF silent rings + sliders are necessary for proper Topre feel.

Offline bmilcs

• bryan | bmilcs
    • bmilcs world
« Reply #87 on: Sun, 02 April 2017, 20:01:44 »
Where do you get hypersheres? What exactly are they?

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #89 on: Mon, 03 April 2017, 03:35:14 »
With all due respect, I heartily disagree that Topres are anything, from a user standpoint, like rubber domes.

Topres may feel similar to RDs when you press them—but when you release them, they're so different. With its beefy graduated spring, a Topre's recoil is way, way more substantial, more precise, than an RD's dumbass, plumber's-helper-style unbuckling. And the sound. Yes, it's goofy, loving how a key sounds when you release it—and yes, I realize I'm using way too many italics here—but there's nothing else like it. Nothing.

And it's mechanical—which means it's not going to start getting all inconsistent on you like an RD can, and probably will if you use it very long.

OP: If you think even a 45/35g Realforce would be too taxing, consider one of the uniform 35g Plum capacitive boards. I'd find it way too light (at 45g, MX Reds feel insubstantial to me), but it may be just what you're looking for.
We are not chasing wildly after beauty with fear at our backs. – Natalie Goldberg

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #90 on: Mon, 03 April 2017, 03:39:00 »
Ah, sorry, that U.S. Plum link's out of stock. But lots are available here at AliExpress, including these uniform 30g models—if that's too heavy for you, you'd better give up!
« Last Edit: Mon, 03 April 2017, 03:42:28 by ander »

Offline Polymer

« Reply #91 on: Mon, 03 April 2017, 07:45:19 »

So if I understand you right then if I try Black Alps and don't like them then don't bother trying any other Alps switches because they all suck too?

Did I say that?  You do NOT need to have tried every single membrane keyboard to have a good honest qualified opinion on them.  Surely you'd have tried more than ONE before forming what you'd consider an educated opinion, but it doesn't need to be "have you tried them all". 
And now somehow you've translated that into being able to make that assessment by just trying ONE of something?  That's nearly as ridiculous as the first statement. 
But can you make an assessment on Alps having tried a fair number?  ABSOLUTELY. 100% YES YOU CAN. 

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #92 on: Mon, 03 April 2017, 07:59:35 »
With all due respect, I heartily disagree that Topres are anything, from a user standpoint, like rubber domes.

Topres may feel similar to RDs when you press them—but when you release them, they're so different. With its beefy graduated spring, a Topre's recoil is way, way more substantial, more precise, than an RD's dumbass, plumber's-helper-style unbuckling. And the sound. Yes, it's goofy, loving how a key sounds when you release it—and yes, I realize I'm using way too many italics here—but there's nothing else like it. Nothing.

And it's mechanical—which means it's not going to start getting all inconsistent on you like an RD can, and probably will if you use it very long.

OP: If you think even a 45/35g Realforce would be too taxing, consider one of the uniform 35g Plum capacitive boards. I'd find it way too light (at 45g, MX Reds feel insubstantial to me), but it may be just what you're looking for.

That is precisely what a Choice-supportive bias is..

You've purchased Topre..  it's weeb-tastic.. but as a keyboard, it's really not so special..

There's nothing functional which Topre does superior, as to justify their higher price tag.

So, now you turn to justify your purchase the only way possible..

You've picked arbitrary elements..  Things that have absolutely 0-influence on keyboard usage..  And decided that this sound differentiation is what makes Topre superior..

Offline Giorgio

« Reply #93 on: Mon, 03 April 2017, 07:59:42 »
­­­
« Last Edit: Wed, 05 April 2017, 05:01:31 by Giorgio »

Offline zslane

« Reply #94 on: Mon, 03 April 2017, 11:50:29 »
I think ander has some good suggestions.

What size board is the OP looking for? I have a Noppoo EC108Pro that I tried for about a week but gave up on because it was too light for
me (around 35g I'm guessing). I'd be open to selling it if the OP is interested.

Offline bmilcs

• bryan | bmilcs
    • bmilcs world
« Reply #95 on: Mon, 03 April 2017, 13:36:41 »

Show Image

Show Image

Those look totally wrong compared to what I used ages ago. Don't have any pics to show though.

It could also be the perspective and zoom being used but I don't remember mine looking quite like that.

(Attachment Link)

(Attachment Link)

I wonder if it could be a different thickness/weight even though it is still 3/16", notice in these photos there seem to be different weight options.

EDIT: Reading again you said you bought extra heavy, that is your problem you need medium, 3.5oz, 3/16".

You nailed it bro. Thank you so much.

Also, GOT DAMN. Hyperspheres for $75?!

Offline Polymer

« Reply #96 on: Mon, 03 April 2017, 15:54:00 »
That is precisely what a Choice-supportive bias is..

You've purchased Topre..  it's weeb-tastic.. but as a keyboard, it's really not so special..
There's nothing functional which Topre does superior, as to justify their higher price tag.
So, now you turn to justify your purchase the only way possible..
You've picked arbitrary elements..  Things that have absolutely 0-influence on keyboard usage..  And decided that this sound differentiation is what makes Topre superior..

Still on this silly stance....it used to be because it was so expensive..then cheaper alternatives came out and that argument was proven to be all it was originally, worthless.

What is there to justify?  Topre isn't that expensive...When you factor in high quality dye subs it is all about the same.

Why do people like Topre?  Because they enjoy how it feels..I'm not sure why you think that is so hard to understand..and your experience with it is all of a couple of hours?  Even previous TP4 follower/Topre hater who is now banned (LinkB*ne) is using Topre. 

And given you can sell your Topre for about what you paid for it, there is no reason to try to rationalize your purchase...If you really don't like it you get rid of it..simple.

Do I think some of the fanboy following is a bit much?  Sure...but is it a good keyboard?  Very good..

Offline zslane

« Reply #97 on: Mon, 03 April 2017, 16:20:11 »
It can be tough being a Topre fan.

Not only do you have to face the snide criticisms of non-Topre fans, you also have to face the jibes of the Topre traditionalists who dump all over Topre's latest products (like the RealForce RGB).

I have no problem with anyone who tries a Topre-based board and decides it's not for them. However, I do have a problem with anyone who thinks they know whether or not someone else will (or worse, ought to) like Topre switches.

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #98 on: Mon, 03 April 2017, 16:21:58 »
It can be tough being a Topre fan.

Not only do you have to face the snide criticisms of non-Topre fans, you also have to face the jibes of the Topre traditionalists who dump all over Topre's latest products (like the RealForce RGB).

I have no problem with anyone who tries a Topre-based board and decides it's not for them. However, I do have a problem with anyone who thinks they know whether or not someone else will (or worse, ought to) like Topre switches.

Welcome to the internet :)
- Keyboards: LZ-GH (Jailhouse Blues)M65-a, MIRA SE, E8-V1, MOON TKL, CA66
- Keyboard Case Painting Tips -
- Join Mechanical Keyboards photography group on Flickr -

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek
« Reply #99 on: Mon, 03 April 2017, 16:22:11 »
However, I do have a problem with anyone who thinks they know whether or not someone else will (or worse, ought to) like Topre switches.

For anyone who hasn't tried Topre, BUY IT NOW! You're welcome!! mmmmmm Topre, best switches NA.