Author Topic: How to properly merge your keyboard/keymaps with QMK repository?  (Read 4914 times)

Offline pabile

• pabile online
How to properly merge your keyboard/keymaps with QMK repository?
« on: Sun, 08 November 2020, 23:32:39 »
So...as subject states, I wanted to ask what is the proper and best practice in merging your keyboard/keymap with official QMK github repository. I made two merge requested already and I was told "don't merge with master". Both of these merge requests were created using github browser.

Following the official documentations, https://docs.qmk.fm/#/newbs_git_best_practices, I am now working on my local machine and push it on my "remote" branch. From my remote branch (thru web browser), I clicked on compare. It shows that my request points to “master” where I was told not to commit. Do I understand this page correctly or this means something else? All my push/commits from local machine points to my branch.

255523-0

I am new to Git and I find it confusing. Help and clarifications will be appreciated :)

Thanks in advance.

Offline dddeeaatthhh

Re: How to properly merge your keyboard/keymaps with QMK repository?
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 13 November 2020, 05:50:46 »
i haven't personally merged anything in to qmk so i can't speak on their exact process, but in general you don't want to/can't merge your code directly in to qmk's master

a "common" git flow could be:

- clone/fork the original repository
- make a new branch
- make the changes you want to make
- commit your changes to your branch
- merge origin master in to your branch
- resolve conflicts between your branch and origin master (if any)
- push to your branch
- submit a pull request on qmk

after the pull request is reviewed by others is could get approved and then you'll have permission to merge it in to qmk
« Last Edit: Fri, 13 November 2020, 05:53:07 by dddeeaatthhh »

Offline pabile

• pabile online
Re: How to properly merge your keyboard/keymaps with QMK repository?
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 15 November 2020, 21:30:59 »

thanks. it seems i am on the right track. i'll recheck the process and submit a pull request.
stay safe!