Author Topic: Application Launchers  (Read 3255 times)

Offline Bluemercury

Application Launchers
« on: Tue, 12 August 2008, 05:03:37 »
Does anyone use them, i've been using launchy for some time....which ones do you guys use?
Collection:
Das Keyboard II
Model M5-2
Model M5-1(considering selling this one)
Cherry G80-3000LCMPO with black switches
Cherry G80-5000HAMPO (Brown switches)
McAlly96
HHKP2 BNx2

Offline ashort

• Hoosier Daddy
    • http://andrew.wingedwheel.net
Application Launchers
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 12 August 2008, 08:14:29 »
I've installed Quicksilver on the Mac, when I remember it is there, it's terrific.

For my XP Laptop, I use Punk Software's Rocketdock.  It is very "OSX Dock".  People see it and say "Are you running Mac software on that Thinkpad?"  

:-D
Andrew
{ KBC Poker - brown | Filco Majestouch - brown | Dell AT101W | Cherry G84-4100 }

Offline Bluemercury

Application Launchers
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 12 August 2008, 09:19:25 »
Yeah, quicksilver gets many positive notes from users....
Collection:
Das Keyboard II
Model M5-2
McAlly96
HHKP2 BNx2

Offline iMav

• geekhack creator/founder
  • "Τα εργαλεία σας είναι σημαντικά."
Application Launchers
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 12 August 2008, 09:34:48 »
For my most-used applications, I typically have them in the Dock in OS X or as a shortcut in the top panel under Linux/GNOME.  

Additionally, under OS X, I have the Applications folder pinned to the right portion of the dock and have it set to "View Contents as List".  This gives me a sort of poor man's "start menu" when I left clock on it.  Works quite well.

Offline Bluemercury

Application Launchers
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 12 August 2008, 09:41:06 »
Launchy's now has some interesting options, i can say compose gmail emails, by typing, something like, emailname/adresssubjectmessage....it works really well. you can also use some windows command line applications....
Collection:
Das Keyboard II
Model M5-2
McAlly96
HHKP2 BNx2

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
Application Launchers
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 12 August 2008, 10:59:29 »
I used Quicksilver until I got Leopard because now Spotlight is fast (now for the first time) and just as good.

Offline ashort

• Hoosier Daddy
Application Launchers
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 12 August 2008, 19:55:05 »
Also on the Mac, AppMenuBoy.  Right click it in the dock for a popup menu of your entire Applications folder.  Nice for those seldom used apps when you can't think of the name.
Andrew
{ KBC Poker - brown | Filco Majestouch - brown | Dell AT101W | Cherry G84-4100 }

Offline iMav

• geekhack creator/founder
  • "Τα εργαλεία σας είναι σημαντικά."
Application Launchers
« Reply #7 on: Tue, 12 August 2008, 20:05:50 »
Quote from: ashort;7289
Also on the Mac, AppMenuBoy.  Right click it in the dock for a popup menu of your entire Applications folder.  Nice for those seldom used apps when you can't think of the name.

Or, as I mentioned above, just link your application folder in the dock, set it to list mode, and you've got the same functionality without a 3rd party app.

Offline ashort

• Hoosier Daddy
Application Launchers
« Reply #8 on: Tue, 12 August 2008, 20:52:50 »
Quote from: iMav;7290
Or, as I mentioned above, just link your application folder in the dock, set it to list mode, and you've got the same functionality without a 3rd party app.

iMav, you're my hero.
Andrew

Offline bhtooefr

• this switch can tick sound of music
    • bhtooefr.org
Application Launchers
« Reply #9 on: Wed, 13 August 2008, 01:02:57 »
Quote from: ashort;7291
iMav, you're my hero.

I figured that one out a while back, and I'm an OS X n00b. ;) (I also have Documents, Downloads, and Opera's Temporary Downloads directories in there, set up the same way. :))

Offline graywolf

• http://www.graywolfphoto.com/
Application Launchers
« Reply #10 on: Fri, 15 August 2008, 14:39:33 »
And, Windows has it own "Quick Launch". I actually have XP Pro setup very much like I used to set up my Desktop in Slackware, with the Taskbar along the right edge of the screen and nothing on the Desktop (plain gray) except my current project(s). The Quick Launch Taskbar has the programs I use several times a day on it. The Start Menu has the less frequently used items pinned to it. Seldom used stuff is buried in the All Programs submenu. All the Garbauge (sic) is long gone. It is almost like it is not Windows; Windows Destop not normally being an efficient workspace. Now, if only my physical desktop was as clean as my virtual desktop is.

Offline itlnstln

Application Launchers
« Reply #11 on: Fri, 15 August 2008, 15:31:13 »
I do something similar with my XP desktop.  I create a Desktop toolbar, drag it off the taskbar up to the top of the screen, remove the desktop icons, and set both the taskbar and the toolbar to autohide, and I have an empty desktop.

Offline lowpoly

Application Launchers
« Reply #12 on: Fri, 15 August 2008, 16:08:47 »
I use the free version of Object Dock (PC/XP).

Miniguru thread at GH // The Apple M0110 Today

Offline graywolf

• http://www.graywolfphoto.com/
Application Launchers
« Reply #13 on: Sat, 16 August 2008, 19:08:37 »
Quote from: itlnstln;7383
I do something similar with my XP desktop.  I create a Desktop toolbar, drag it off the taskbar up to the top of the screen, remove the desktop icons, and set both the taskbar and the toolbar to autohide, and I have an empty desktop.

Yeh, I could do that, and did in the past, but I decided I liked it better with the taskbar there, but I unclicked "Aways on top" so I can use the full sreen when I want to. I also moved my  Recycle bin from the desk top, it is now in the Start Menu, I used to have it gone, but I occasionally made really stupid mistakes (Funny, I don't remember doing that when I was younger ;)), so I put it back in. The only problem with all the customizing of Windows XP Pro is that you have to redo all that stuff when you reinstall it.