geekhack Community > Keyboards

Is this a rubber dome board?

<< < (3/16) > >>

wellington1869:
so a lot of folks have asked me how I can go thru nearly every mechanical switch on the market and in the end wind up on domes.

I guess at some point I stopped buying into the "domes vs mechanical" paradigm.  At some point I just see keyboards as "nice to type" or "not nice to type". Not saying thats how it should be done; just saying that seems to be what happened in my case. Each has its advantages (simplicity and (usually) inexpensive domes; expensive and uber-tactile mechanicals).

I also own both an ibook and a dell.  At some point I got over 'apple vs ms' and started looking at 'whats useful for what purpose'.  Again not saying thats how it should be done; just saying thats what happened in my case.

wellington1869:

--- Quote from: Voixdelion;170896 ---Are all key tronic boards having the same type of tech?  I was curious about whether the  trak101 would solve my M5-1 concerns   -  The keyboard would be a daily type fest, so ultimately that takes precedence over mousing added benefits.  Would it and my sanity be able to take the pounding of hours at a stretch muse inspirations?
--- End quote ---

from my quick googling, it appears there are some things to watch out for with keytronics boards:
--layout differences. A lot (most?) of keytronics boards seem to have the large L-shaped enter key and tiny backspace key. Have to be careful if that matters to you.
--lots of ps2 keytronics boards out there; usb ones seem harder to come by.
--not all models are equally celebrated. A lot of reviewers have mentioned that some keytronics boards are much better than others. Probably thing to do once you have a part number is google for reviews on it.

IIRC, the original DAS  was a rebranded keytronics board. I think it was the 'lifetime' model with the different weightings on the keys.

ch_123:

--- Quote from: wellington1869;170897 ---so a lot of folks have asked me how I can go thru nearly every mechanical switch on the market and in the end wind up on domes.

I guess at some point I stopped buying into the "domes vs mechanical" paradigm.  At some point I just see keyboards as "nice to type" or "not nice to type". Not saying thats how it should be done; just saying that seems to be what happened in my case. Each has its advantages (simplicity and (usually) inexpensive domes; expensive and uber-tactile mechanicals).

I also own both an ibook and a dell.  At some point I got over 'apple vs ms' and started looking at 'whats useful for what purpose'.  Again not saying thats how it should be done; just saying thats what happened in my case.
--- End quote ---

Right, so where are rubber dome keyboards better than mechanicals?

wellington1869:

--- Quote from: ch_123;170901 ---Right, so where are rubber dome keyboards better than mechanicals?
--- End quote ---

this is highly subjective. I dont think anyone here used the word "better". There are definitely rubber dome boards that people have "liked".  Some of them mentioned in this thread.

itlnstln:

--- Quote from: ch_123;170901 ---Right, so where are rubber dome keyboards better than mechanicals?
--- End quote ---

Topres.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version