geekhack Projects > Making Stuff Together!

New to the forum, want to build my own keyboard add on

(1/11) > >>

overture1928:
Hi  guys,

I am new to the forum. I have a little summer project. I want to build my own custom keyboard using mx switches (Please see picture). Because I am not 100% on the layout I want to be able to play around a bit and be flexible. I was thinking of soldering small square PCBs to the bottom the switches with wire leads that would make their way to the micro processor/controller. I think this is all I need:

Cherry MX Keys (Brown, Blue, or Black)
Mounting plate for the keys
PCB
Wire leads
Some sort of micro processor.

I don't need any sort of case or enclosure... yet.

Just wondering if anyone could give me some suggestions sourcing parts, processor options, or any suggestions or advice especially when it comes to programming the device.

Djuzuh:
What's the point of the little PCB thingies at the bottom of the switch?

Check out those https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-ovZJihnxd2U/UADubh5WZRI/AAAAAAAACwA/aUiNfUU-Ol8/s600/HBFS30_linkline.gif

fartq:
quick release and crimp connectors are more fiddly than one would think. the pro way of doing this is lowpoly's point-to-point method. another way is to just get a large piece of proto-board and wire the eyelets together

overture1928:

--- Quote from: Djuzuh on Mon, 30 July 2012, 01:56:53 ---What's the point of the little PCB thingies at the bottom of the switch?

Check out those https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-ovZJihnxd2U/UADubh5WZRI/AAAAAAAACwA/aUiNfUU-Ol8/s600/HBFS30_linkline.gif

--- End quote ---

Interesting.

I don't know exactly how MX switches work inside but would those wires be hooked up to the leads at all times? Is there some other contacts inside the switch that knows to send a signal when the switch is pressed?

overture1928:

--- Quote from: mkawa_ on Mon, 30 July 2012, 02:48:03 ---quick release and crimp connectors are more fiddly than one would think. the pro way of doing this is lowpoly's point-to-point method. another way is to just get a large piece of proto-board and wire the eyelets together

--- End quote ---

Can you give me a link to lowpoly's method?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version