geekhack Marketplace > Interest Checks

[IC] F62+F77! New Kishsaver+Industrial Model F Keyboards

(1/319) > >>

Ellipse:
Mod Edit: removed "orders now open!" from the subject.

The web site is a go! Time to order your Brand New Model F Keyboard!  $160,000+ in orders so far! 

Please head to http://www.ModelFkeyboards.com to place your order! In general, keyboards ship out by the timestamp of your order - first in, first out!

This thread is for discussion of ongoing development of the Brand New Model F Keyboards project, including the ultra compact cases and split right shift (HHKB style) options.  Please head to the group buy for discussion on project updates and ordering options.  https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=79141.0

F62/F77 Prototype testing, brief teardown, and sound comparisons with original IBM keyboards

F62 / F77 features:
Only new parts will be used - not New Old Stock or used part pulls from other keyboards (you can use your original IBM/Lexmark/Unicomp caps - they will be compatible)
Metal top and metal bottom case, like the original
Metal top and metal bottom inner "sandwich" plates with interlocking tabs, like the original
Model F barrels and full-size capacitive flippers, all injection molded for accuracy/durability (not 3D printed)
2 mm foam like in my original F77
Ships fully assembled at no extra charge - no further soldering will be required. You will put on the feet though!
Cork-rubber feet, plus a small selection of rubber feet (cork-rubber feet like the PC XT Model F keyboard)
Top and bottom case powdercoated in a color similar to the original "off white/beige" color, black, or similar to industrial gray (or you can pick your own color and pay extra for tooling)
New buckling springs made to original Model F spring tolerances (ideally)
Keys to be sourced from Unicomp (or you can provide your own keys). To use brand new one-piece dye sub keys instead, someone else would need to take on production of the keys.
Layouts can be adjusted at the factory, or you can adjust them later for international versions
Metal tabs attached to the top inner assembly for the Model M style spacebar stabilizer wire - no plastic pieces like in the original
Packed like a new keyboard: in two custom white EPS foam shells and in a close-fitting brown double-walled cardboard box
Fully assembled in China
10 foot monoprice USB cable with ferrite core
Extra barrels (AT-style) and capacitive flippers will be produced and made available for purchase separately (for other projects and for replacement parts)
Any other suggestions?

After everyone interested has placed their order and sent payment, please be aware that it will be several months before your order arrives.

Working Prototype photos:

Mod Edit: removed "orders now open!" from the subject.

Ellipse:
To make this project complete I would hope to make single-piece Model F keys with nice texture and deep black, thick legends, but this is for another year or for someone else :)

The expansion header will be present so it should be possible to add your own solenoid, buzzer, or LED lights.

The case will be die cast like the original if the tooling is not out of reach, or maybe CNC milled. I am considering standard powder coated zinc like the original or maybe anodized aluminum.

Regarding a prototype, yes I will be getting a prototype to make sure the parts fit. Not to worry, they will adjust the tooling if something does not fit. I have incorporated standard manufacturing tolerances into my designs and have done a preliminary CAD assembly. But for some parts there cannot be a prototype made without tooling done, like for anything injection molded. I may order prototypes for just the main parts like top and bottom cover and top and bottom inner assembly and then test it with some of my existing F77 parts like barrels and flippers.

Here are the parts planned:
Top metal cover - likely aluminum or zinc
Bottom metal cover - likely aluminum or zinc
Top inner assembly - cold rolled steel
Bottom inner assembly - cold rolled steel
Inside foam - 2 mm open cell, not sure of the type of foam yet.
Clear mylar sheet (below the PCB)
Barrels
Flippers
Outside EPS foam top shell
Outside EPS foam bottom shell
Cardboard box

Karura:
Not a reasonable price at all.

Melvang:

--- Quote from: Karura on Tue, 07 July 2015, 19:03:44 ---Not a reasonable price at all.

--- End quote ---

For the amount of work needed, parts needed, this price I am guessing is fairly low.  If I have the money, I would get one of each.

Air tree:

--- Quote from: Karura on Tue, 07 July 2015, 19:03:44 ---Not a reasonable price at all.

--- End quote ---
Some people spend $500+ on Korean customs, I don't think $350 for a board that is so rare and so sought after is a bad price...

F**k me, I spent $260 in total on my HHKB, I'd happily pay $350 for a brand new kish...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version