Author Topic: How to make wise decisions?  (Read 2038 times)

Offline IceCandle

How to make wise decisions?
« on: Mon, 23 November 2020, 03:08:45 »
« Last Edit: Sun, 05 June 2022, 01:00:17 by IceCandle »

Offline yui

Re: How to make wise decisions?
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 23 November 2020, 04:12:35 »
realistically going into this hobby is not a wise choice if you do not plan to make money out of it either way. going diy is cheaper and allows for an higher level of customization but at the cost of your own time (and often even if you value it at minimum wage, it often becomes more expensive there), testers are not actually that good, if you want to not lose money on them you need to add the postage onto the next buyer making it more expensive than buying new for them, and they do not allow for the full experience of a keyboard.
for a start you could go for an hotswap board, allowing you more variables on one board, and watching reviews, reading on the pros and cons of differing boards and layout, and when the world wakes up from covid going at meets will allow you to try out keyboards before buying what you ultimately want.
vi vi vi - the roman number of the beast (Plan9 fortune)

Offline ddrfraser1

• RIP Neil
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 23 November 2020, 06:40:59 »
I feel you IceCandle. I posted in this very thing over in keebtalk

https://www.keebtalk.com/t/unusual-keyboard-pet-peeves/10122/93?u=ddrfraser1

Basically, I think FOMO bites us in the ass and if we can get over it we can make better decisions. I go into it more in the op.

Offline el_murdoque

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 23 November 2020, 08:09:05 »
The wise decision is to type on the rubberdomes that came with your PC and occupy your mind with higher things than mechanical keyboards.
Unless you're a pro gamer, Typist or freelance programmer and even a slight increase in performance will have a monetary impact on what you do.
In that case, go with the hardware that offers the best performance.

When you want to have 'something nice' on your desktop that you enjoy typing on, then go with whatever your fancy dictates - get informed, make a decision and stick with it. When you keep accumulating info and check group buys and watch out for new models, new switches and whatnot, you'll either never buy anything because the next thing will always be around the corner and when you wait just a little bit you can get that one with the new batch of switches or you will constantly be unhappy with what you have - unless you declare mech keyboards as a hobby of yours - and then you'll sink a lot of money down that hole.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 23 November 2020, 09:46:33 »
Threads like these always leave me flummoxed. I tried keyboard configurations across the spectrum from ancient steampunk behemoths to modern ultra-tiny ultra-thins. Eventually I decided that I am most comfortable with full-size or larger keyboards because I have a large desk and appreciate the stability.

I also tried all manner of "switches" (a misnomer because some sensing methods stretch the definition of "switch" but that is a digression .... ) and found that I prefer light- to medium-light tactile or clicky switches, but will choose a heavier switch if its other attributes are compelling.

There are maybe as many as 2 dozen keyboards in my collection, which I like very much for different reasons, but there are only 3 or 4 that I use with any regularity. And there is one that has sat on my desk 90% of the time for the past 5 years.

My own thinking places very high value on empirical information, and it might not be wrong to say that my hands tell me more about a keyboard than my brain can.
"It turns out that for a decade, whenever Trump wanted to get a loan, or make a deal, he would inflate the value of his real estate. For instance, suggesting that his 11,000-square foot penthouse was a 30,000-square foot penthouse.
And the attorney general of New York knew that Trump's property values were inflated because when it came time to pay taxes, Trump undervalued the very same properties.
It was all part of a very sophisticated real estate practice known as “lying.”
- Jon Stewart 2024-03-28

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 23 November 2020, 12:45:21 »
Try a bit of everything.

YOU are free to define what constitutes progression as it is to be YOUR hobby.

I have every faith in your judgement,   As long as you choose ERGODOX, and Cherry Mx Blue.

Offline jamster

« Reply #6 on: Mon, 23 November 2020, 20:16:50 »
While custom keyboards may not be the richs' hobby, price of recent lunchbox-looking clones has been inflated (but not much innovation) and we have to be considerate in making choices. I haven't tested enough options to find my taste, and when something 'better' is announced on budget~mid market I'm leaned towards it, only to be disappointed afterwards and postponing the purchase. Learning jargons, opinions, and characteristics of board will guide me to a better purchase, but I feel like running in circles after weeks have passed. The common answer to finding preference would be switch testers and just trying out with "You can resell it without losing money anyway", but I'm not willing to go through all the hassle, nor I have time for it. I'm not asking for a recommendation, but this is one example: Kara looks promising when thinking about portability and brand name, but not experiencing aluminum case would be regretful later(multiple boards are a luxury). The search probably comes down to a wise question, "What am I looking for?"
Now let us proceed, when do you feel like hopping on the GB will be satisfying on the long run? What are the main aspects for you to consider to make a wise decision?

I think a hint is in the bolded part above.

If your timeframe for trying to decide things is weeks, then it's probably some big degree of hardwired hunter/gatherer instinct involved here, rather than just 'finding a nice keyboard to type on.'

They're just... keyboards. You already have a perfectly functional keyboard, probably more than one. There's no logical reason to feel rushed or pressured about this, about a tool that should easily last you the next five or ten or more years.

Another way of doing it is to view keyboards as a multi year learning experience. You buy one that is probably okay, use it for a year, figure your preferences a bit finer, then consider what you'd like to change. It's not like the new keyboard is going to stop you from typing, it's not like you have to immediately rush out and replace it if you dislike anything about it (you've always got your previous keyboard as a fallback anyway).

Decide whether you are in this for the long term typing experience... if you are, then there is no rush. You will be typing on one board or another for the rest of your life. Or whether you are in this because there is this new world of interesting, complicated gadgets to find out about and spend money on. If you are wedded to the latter, it's going to be more stress and more money, but if you also find satisfaction in that process, then that's fine too.