Author Topic: Topre?  (Read 10678 times)

Offline Error213

Topre?
« on: Sun, 18 October 2020, 19:18:25 »
I’m looking into topre boards and there hekin pricy, worth it?

Offline Sup

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Doing university was a mistake
Re: Topre?
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 18 October 2020, 19:22:34 »
Until you try it no one knows :). Its all personal preference i had multiple Topre boards in my time 87U Japanese 87U HHKB Pro 2 multiple HHKB Pro 1. And now i am still typing on a MX board so that says something. Sold all my Topre expect my HHKB Pro 1 for collection purposes.
current
Filco Zero -  NOS Yellow Alps | Canoe R1 Gateron Red | AEK II JP Cream dampend |Filco Majestouch 2 Tex case Gateron Yellow | HHKB Pro 1 2003 Rev AO Serial 000171 | HHKB Pro 1 2003 Rev A1s|DZ60 OG Panda's with Fei spring and stem. | Sentraq S65_Plus OG Invyr Panda's | A17 Gateron Black TX 65G 3204 | Lubrigrante Wildcard Cherry MX silent blacks 3204 58.5G Springs | Rukia Everglide Tourmaline Blue 58.5G Springs | MGA Standard Greetech brown |
Coming soon
Rest in peace Billy Herrington(William Glen Harold Herrington) 1969-2018
Rest in peace Byron Daniel 1989-2020

Offline Error213

« Reply #2 on: Sun, 18 October 2020, 19:26:09 »
Until you try it no one knows :). Its all personal preference i had multiple Topre boards in my time 87U Japanese 87U HHKB Pro 2 multiple HHKB Pro 1. And now i am still typing on a MX board so that says something. Sold all my Topre expect my HHKB Pro 1 for collection purposes.
hm, well I see people like that Leopold board, I wanna get into tactiles and as embarrassing as it is my favorite tactile is mx browns, is there anything similar to that. Idk if I want to take a gamble on a 225$ keeb

Offline Sup

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 18 October 2020, 19:33:02 »
hm, well I see people like that Leopold board, I wanna get into tactiles and as embarrassing as it is my favorite tactile is mx browns, is there anything similar to that. Idk if I want to take a gamble on a 225$ keeb

MX and Topre are two type of different beast in key feel no MX switch will feel like a Topre.  So its hard to say the similarities between brown switches and Topre switches. But Topre is way closer to feel like a rubber dome but it actually feels nice and pleasant to type on for a long time.
current
Filco Zero -  NOS Yellow Alps | Canoe R1 Gateron Red | AEK II JP Cream dampend |Filco Majestouch 2 Tex case Gateron Yellow | HHKB Pro 1 2003 Rev AO Serial 000171 | HHKB Pro 1 2003 Rev A1s|DZ60 OG Panda's with Fei spring and stem. | Sentraq S65_Plus OG Invyr Panda's | A17 Gateron Black TX 65G 3204 | Lubrigrante Wildcard Cherry MX silent blacks 3204 58.5G Springs | Rukia Everglide Tourmaline Blue 58.5G Springs | MGA Standard Greetech brown |
Coming soon

Offline Error213

« Reply #4 on: Sun, 18 October 2020, 20:30:36 »

MX and Topre are two type of different beast in key feel no MX switch will feel like a Topre.  So its hard to say the similarities between brown switches and Topre switches. But Topre is way closer to feel like a rubber dome but it actually feels nice and pleasant to type on for a long time.
sorry I just meant Mx at that point

Offline Sup

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #5 on: Sun, 18 October 2020, 20:36:07 »

sorry I just meant Mx at that point

MX same there is no switch in existance that can compare 1:1 to a topre switch.
current
Coming soon

Offline yui_

« Reply #6 on: Sun, 18 October 2020, 21:43:56 »
topre, as with anything in this hobby, is all preference.
imo, it is worth it. lubed hhkb hybrid type-s has rivalled the g80-5000 for me... something which i never expected to say.
if the price tag is hard to stomach, you can often find used topre boards (mainly hhkbs and realforces) for very reasonable prices on mechmarket or classifieds, so that could be an idea.

Offline HungerMechanic

« Reply #7 on: Sun, 18 October 2020, 22:16:43 »
The Topre that is closest to MX Brown might be the Niz keyboards with 30-35 G domes, as they tend to be lighter and less tactile.

[My 45 G ABKO K935P is heavier and more tactile than MX Brown]

For MX switches that have vague similarities to Topre, you can look at Halo True, Kailh Pro Purple, and Zilent V2. They have similarities in force curves, or other attributes.

The 62 G U4 Boba switch does kind of feel like a 45 G ABKO dome.

Offline DrJackman

« Reply #8 on: Sun, 18 October 2020, 23:08:55 »
i am in love with topre boards.  i still swap back to use a custom with zilents from time to time but the realforce r2 pfu silenced is my daily driver.  45g silenced is the perfect blend of tactility while also being buttery smooth and super quiet.  i agree, they can be pricey, but they tend to hold their value well so if you don't like it after the return period you could easily sell it off.  if you want to go the mx route to preserve keycap compatibility (remember - topre boards use their own style of stem which won't fit any regular keycap sets) you can build a board with zilent v2 65gs which i have found to be the most similar mx style switch.  bear in mind though that once it's all said and done (buying switches, a flush cutter, a hotswap board (cheapest is GMK but you'll probably want a drop if you go 'pre-built' and kits are a bit more + groupbuy wait times)) you're still spending close to what it would cost to buy a realforce. 
« Last Edit: Sun, 18 October 2020, 23:13:23 by DrJackman »

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #9 on: Sun, 18 October 2020, 23:39:44 »
Yeah I mean there's really no way to tell if you're gonna like topre without just trying it. Lots of people love it, I think it's bottom-tier straight garbo.
IV KWK Info Thread & KBK Info Thread IV (out of date)

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"

Offline Polymer

« Reply #10 on: Mon, 19 October 2020, 01:11:57 »

No way to know until you've tried it for awhile...Some people hate it at first and grow to love them..others will never like them.

The best way to describe them is they have the same mechanism as a normal rubber dome so they collapse and feel that exact same way.  But, they're VERY smooth and VERY stable and VERY responsive.  They're also incredibly reliable, more so than MX switches. 

On the downside...outside of weight there isn't much you can do to change the feel.  You also have a very small selection of customization keycaps wise, case wise, etc...

Offline fanpeople

« Reply #11 on: Mon, 19 October 2020, 06:07:32 »
Been using a HHKB pro 2 since sometime around 2014/2015. Daily for I guess 5 years now. Love it. Still goes strong. No issues. Drowned in coffee once, Drowned in noodles once (both times pulled to pieces and dried). Still going strong.

Was the $250 odd dollars worth it? For me yes. I don't see it dying any time soon.

But it is all preference, I don't like RGB/booty poody boards.

Offline diazel

« Reply #12 on: Mon, 19 October 2020, 09:45:38 »

Yes and no. Like everyone else has said, until you try it, it's pretty hard to decide on. I ended up buying a HHKB on Amazon because of the allure of these highly coveted switches. And I loved them. They felt fantastic. But I wasn't happy with the loud upstroke. That moved me over to the type S except that's even steeper of a price. So I ended up going Topre clone with the ABKO K935P V2 and I can tell you I've found my favorite rubber dome capacitive switch. And it has silencing rings on them so instead of the tick or crack you hear when the regular Topres hit top, you get this satisfying 'plop' on each keystroke and it's super satisfying to me. And only $130.

If you think you'd be interested but the price is too much to stomach, hit up the ABKO and try it out. If you like it, you'll likely like/love the Topre as well. Then you decide what form factor you want because that might limit your choices a bit.

Offline rf86u

« Reply #13 on: Mon, 19 October 2020, 10:54:38 »
just acquired a half year old R2 PFU 87 for $180.

The seller, a gamer, said he was really not used to topre, hence sold it.

Offline typo

« Reply #14 on: Mon, 19 October 2020, 13:44:22 »
The case is too "cheap" for my liking. It does not have a detachable cord etc. It is really for business not enthusiast. If you are just sold on the cup rubber there is no other. Personally I cannot stand it.

Offline DrJackman

« Reply #15 on: Mon, 19 October 2020, 13:57:02 »
you can always grab a fc660c and throw in a hasu controller or get the hhkb bluetooth.  the detachable cable doesn't mean that much to me.  and i'm a gamer, enthusiast, and typist.  ticks all my boxes.

Offline dani_

• Mesa Keyboards
« Reply #16 on: Sun, 25 October 2020, 12:36:40 »
I regularly use 45g Topre, tealios, and zealios on different boards. When I switch back to the topre after using the other two, I'm usually struck by how smooth and tactile they are but also how mushy they feel. The keycaps just don't pop back as quickly or forcefully as MX style switches and so they tend to feel a little sluggish to me. Can't beat Topres for smoothness though.

Offline absyrd

• CPT HYPE PADAWAN
« Reply #17 on: Sun, 25 October 2020, 12:53:33 »
I’m loving my rf r2 Ltd edition. Finding APC useful between school, work, gaming, daily driving. It’s also dead silent and the stabs are solid.

Was a long time hhkb and 55g rf user.
My wife I a also push her button . But now she have her button push by a different men. So I buy a keyboard a mechanicale, she a reliable like a Fiat.

Offline typo

« Reply #18 on: Mon, 26 October 2020, 04:52:30 »
I just inherited my grandpas vast collection(typo) about 5 months ago. I have tried everything. However I had tried Topre and MX many times previously. Now that I have put many hours on both side by side. At first I really liked Topre. Now I see it as being no different than any other good rubber dome. I am not hating. That is solely my feeling. Not even an opinion. It just is not doing it for me anymore. That is just me though. One person. It has nothing to do with anyone else. Or the product. I am just mentioning my own feelings. Not that it has any bearing on anything. I am not being a troll. I figured this was just statistical.

Offline diazel

« Reply #19 on: Mon, 26 October 2020, 05:04:08 »
I just inherited my grandpas vast collection(typo) about 5 months ago. I have tried everything. However I had tried Topre and MX many times previously. Now that I have put many hours on both side by side. At first I really liked Topre. Now I see it as being no different than any other good rubber dome. I am not hating. That is solely my feeling. Not even an opinion. It just is not doing it for me anymore. That is just me though. One person. It has nothing to do with anyone else. Or the product. I am just mentioning my own feelings. Not that it has any bearing on anything. I am not being a troll. I figured this was just statistical.

If you need help finding a home for them since you're not a fan, I'm mooooore than willing to help as I imagine lots of people here would. :) But yeah, you're right. They're not for everyone. If you're a linear switch person who hates mushiness in their keystroke, for example. Or if you don't feel the need to spend $250-400 for what can be had for less money if you're willing to go Cherry MX style or way less money if you went with regular rubber dome. But seriously, if you end up decide to offer up any of your grandpa's collection, I'm sure there are people here that would be interested.

Offline typo

« Reply #20 on: Mon, 26 October 2020, 06:20:12 »
That is actually a good idea. I am not going to give them away though. They are all in like new condition. Some not even opened. I like a heavy clicky tactile switch. Like a Model M or F. The Topre is like pudding to me. Even the 55g. It feels nowhere near 55g to me. I think that would be like a Cherry Black or Gray? Those are way heavier. I am not sure. I don't know much about this. I don't hate Topre. I am willing to use it. It just is not really to my liking. Like you mentioned the money factor. To me it feels like a Microsoft keyboard. Again, I am very far from an expert on keyboards. This just landed in my lap a few months ago. Before that I had a Corsair and never gave it a second thought. In fact I got the Corsair due to my Grandpa. Previously I always had a $10 rubber dome. Now I am kind of getting a crash course in this hobby. However I am a complete newb.

I just broke his best board. A guy is repairing it right now. He had every aspect of that board custom made. I heard from my Aunt that he had spent an "absurd" amount of money on it. Figures I broke it. I like the switches. He had Cherry make them. I am seriously not kidding. Who knows how that took place. They are pretty heavy, very clicky yet dampened and have very long travel but actuate almost instantly at the top. They have led's. I am only mentioning this because of liking the switches. The keycaps might play some role too I have no clue. I have the box. It says KAT. It is another world from Topre. I do not mean that in a good or bad way.

I can see why people like Topre though. It is just not for me personally. I think I just gave a pretty good clue as to why.

Offline walie

« Reply #21 on: Mon, 26 October 2020, 07:55:44 »
Oh snap, how did I miss the return of Typo?

Welcome back!

Offline treeleaf64

• Traveler
    • treeleaf64
« Reply #22 on: Mon, 26 October 2020, 10:23:32 »
Original Typo passed away (Rest in peace).

This is the grandson. They do type similarly haha.
treeleaf64: https://discord.gg/rbUjtsRG6P

This is the cat and pat!!!!!!!!

Offline treeleaf64

• Traveler
    • treeleaf64
« Reply #23 on: Mon, 26 October 2020, 10:25:42 »
That is actually a good idea. I am not going to give them away though. They are all in like new condition. Some not even opened. I like a heavy clicky tactile switch. Like a Model M or F. The Topre is like pudding to me. Even the 55g. It feels nowhere near 55g to me. I think that would be like a Cherry Black or Gray? Those are way heavier. I am not sure. I don't know much about this. I don't hate Topre. I am willing to use it. It just is not really to my liking. Like you mentioned the money factor. To me it feels like a Microsoft keyboard. Again, I am very far from an expert on keyboards. This just landed in my lap a few months ago. Before that I had a Corsair and never gave it a second thought. In fact I got the Corsair due to my Grandpa. Previously I always had a $10 rubber dome. Now I am kind of getting a crash course in this hobby. However I am a complete newb.

I just broke his best board. A guy is repairing it right now. He had every aspect of that board custom made. I heard from my Aunt that he had spent an "absurd" amount of money on it. Figures I broke it. I like the switches. He had Cherry make them. I am seriously not kidding. Who knows how that took place. They are pretty heavy, very clicky yet dampened and have very long travel but actuate almost instantly at the top. They have led's. I am only mentioning this because of liking the switches. The keycaps might play some role too I have no clue. I have the box. It says KAT. It is another world from Topre. I do not mean that in a good or bad way.

I can see why people like Topre though. It is just not for me personally. I think I just gave a pretty good clue as to why.

Don't sell anything yet.  You already  have a great collection.  My tastes  are always evolving as I try new things. 
It's good that you already have access to something like this.

Offline Polymer

« Reply #24 on: Mon, 26 October 2020, 11:32:04 »
Original Typo passed away (Rest in peace).

This is the grandson. They do type similarly haha.

Its the same person...

Offline typo

« Reply #25 on: Mon, 26 October 2020, 16:46:57 »
Sadly I really wish it was. I am just going to lay low for a while. I was just very curious about what I inherited.

Offline walie

« Reply #26 on: Mon, 26 October 2020, 18:05:16 »
Seeya, maybe you'll come back as the nephew next time

Offline diazel

« Reply #27 on: Mon, 26 October 2020, 19:10:30 »
Sadly I really wish it was. I am just going to lay low for a while. I was just very curious about what I inherited.
No need to lay low! Everyone is entitled to their own opinions. That's the beauty of a forum like this. Some will share your views. Some won't. But either way no need to lay low. How you stick around Typo's grandson.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

Offline Polymer

« Reply #28 on: Tue, 27 October 2020, 01:44:16 »
No need to lay low! Everyone is entitled to their own opinions. That's the beauty of a forum like this. Some will share your views. Some won't. But either way no need to lay low. How you stick around Typo's grandson.

It is pretty obvious it isn't his grandson.  Not sure why you guys let him troll...

For someone not into keyboards, he knows way too much about the details and history...Writing style is similar as well.

And if it truly is his grandson...he should have done what he's promised to do multiple times but just never does..which is come on with his own username.

Funny though, how he's obviously been on the board for a long time and knows a lot of information so he was obviously on here (or is still on here) as someone else....this is just his troll username.

Offline jamster

« Reply #29 on: Tue, 27 October 2020, 11:04:08 »
Agreed, the whole charade just tacky in the extreme.

Even if it wasn't an elaborate troll, simply continuing using the account of a deceased grandfather to join said grandfather's ex-trolling ground is just in extremely poor taste. Let me ask- would any of you have done this, or would you have been like a normal human being and started your own account, rather than somehow digging up the login and password out of who knows where?
« Last Edit: Tue, 27 October 2020, 11:06:09 by jamster »

Offline typo

« Reply #30 on: Tue, 27 October 2020, 11:15:59 »
Obviously your Momma taught you no respect. Keep it off topic. I am gone, I used you guy's for the info I wanted. Luckily I got pretty much everything I need at this point.
You disrespect my Grandfather you stinking bums. Eat my jock strap. Does that sound like I am the same person?

Offline absyrd

• CPT HYPE PADAWAN
« Reply #31 on: Tue, 27 October 2020, 11:40:45 »
DID is real thing. Please go visit a psychiatrist.
My wife I a also push her button . But now she have her button push by a different men. So I buy a keyboard a mechanicale, she a reliable like a Fiat.

Offline diazel

« Reply #32 on: Tue, 27 October 2020, 11:46:57 »
DID is real thing. Please go visit a psychiatrist.

Um, where did this come from? I must be missing something...

Offline diazel

« Reply #33 on: Tue, 27 October 2020, 11:52:55 »

Even if it wasn't an elaborate troll, simply continuing using the account of a deceased grandfather to join said grandfather's ex-trolling ground is just in extremely poor taste. Let me ask- would any of you have done this, or would you have been like a normal human being and started your own account, rather than somehow digging up the login and password out of who knows where?

I'm on board with this except for the login/password. I don't save my financial passwords and usernames anywhere but I certainly do for forums such as these. It's possible it's just a saved bunch of credentials. At any rate, the fact that Typo's grandson feels the need to resort to name calling and vulgarity tells me he could probably use a hug. Not from me. But someone. Not knowing Typo's history and propensity for trolling means this is probably lost on me a bit.

Offline jamster

« Reply #34 on: Tue, 27 October 2020, 21:28:48 »

I'm on board with this except for the login/password. I don't save my financial passwords and usernames anywhere but I certainly do for forums such as these. It's possible it's just a saved bunch of credentials. At any rate, the fact that Typo's grandson feels the need to resort to name calling and vulgarity tells me he could probably use a hug. Not from me. But someone. Not knowing Typo's history and propensity for trolling means this is probably lost on me a bit.

Even if the credentials were saved on a (single) PC, then that PC has not been wiped or had the browsers reset at any time in the past 6 or so months. Not outside the realms of possibility, but combined with all the other drama and fiction associated with this account, I'd rely on Occcam's Razor rather than credulity. And I'm not fully up to speed on trolling history either- I have only been back for about 12 months and thankfully missed a lot of it.

Offline walie

« Reply #35 on: Wed, 28 October 2020, 08:01:35 »
Obviously your Momma taught you no respect. Keep it off topic. I am gone, I used you guy's for the info I wanted. Luckily I got pretty much everything I need at this point.
You disrespect my Grandfather you stinking bums. Eat my jock strap. Does that sound like I am the same person?

lol, Classic Typo

Offline Polymer

« Reply #36 on: Wed, 28 October 2020, 15:12:29 »

Exactly...it is just done in poor taste.  There are even a few people here that were feeling bad that a member here had passed..and in a normal situation, I think we'd all feel bad if a member passed...

It is just obvious this isn't that...and if, for some really strange reason it is, the "grandson" continues to use his username even though he has said multiple times he will create his own. 

IMO, the name dropping and other things are done purposely to give people a hint...just as the extreme asks were a hint this is a troll...

Either way, most forums have rules against impersonation and the like...whether intentional or not, that's enough to get the user banned.  It is just in very poor taste..

Offline treeleaf64

• Traveler
    • treeleaf64
« Reply #37 on: Sun, 01 November 2020, 14:41:59 »
Ok I thought this was going to be an actual conversation  :eek:

Topre is worth the price if you like the feel. It's good for long typing sessions but personally I don't like the feel of the rubber bottoming out

Offline Polymer

« Reply #38 on: Sun, 01 November 2020, 16:13:00 »

Topre is worth the price if you like the feel. It's good for long typing sessions but personally I don't like the feel of the rubber bottoming out

Except it doesn't feel like normal rubber dome bottoming out...

And oddly, people spend all their time trying to emulate that exact feel on MX....Band aid, foam, rings, clips, nibs, etc...

Offline jamster

« Reply #39 on: Sun, 01 November 2020, 20:34:00 »

The sidetrack was more interesting given that "is topre worth it" is a recurring question with exactly the same answers each time.

My topre feels similar enough to my o-ringed MX to be a wash. Without o-rings or something similar to cushion the harsh bottom out, I dislike the sudden MX bottom out. The built in bottom out of factory silenced MX clones (in this case Outemu as that is what I am currently typing on) is a bit too mushy.

Offline tacomn

« Reply #40 on: Wed, 04 November 2020, 11:07:22 »
Lol at this thread. Pretty good trolling. That typo guy seems to know alot for some one who claims to know shiet.

Offline Polymer

« Reply #41 on: Wed, 04 November 2020, 12:05:29 »

The sidetrack was more interesting given that "is topre worth it" is a recurring question with exactly the same answers each time.

My topre feels similar enough to my o-ringed MX to be a wash. Without o-rings or something similar to cushion the harsh bottom out, I dislike the sudden MX bottom out. The built in bottom out of factory silenced MX clones (in this case Outemu as that is what I am currently typing on) is a bit too mushy.

Topre is a lot more firm and stable than o-ringed MX IMO...although it seems to me you like orings better than factory silenced MX...I actually think Cherry MX Silent Reds are pretty stable and prefer them to o-ringed mx...

Offline absyrd

• CPT HYPE PADAWAN
« Reply #42 on: Wed, 04 November 2020, 15:02:25 »

I'm trying otemu browns right now and can't take it. I don't know what switch to try with mx these days that'll give me the feedback similar to hhkb or 55g topre. Been out of the game too long.

Offline Darthbaggins

• PC Cannibal
« Reply #43 on: Wed, 04 November 2020, 16:51:31 »

I'm trying otemu browns right now and can't take it. I don't know what switch to try with mx these days that'll give me the feedback similar to hhkb or 55g topre. Been out of the game too long.

I would say try the Glorious Panda's from Glorious PC Gaming Race, so far feedback I've read seems really good. 
I've been eyeing a Leopold FC660C as my entrance into the Topre switch family/cult.

bkrownd:"Those damned rubber chiclet keys are the devil's nipples."   >:D

Offline arydi

« Reply #44 on: Wed, 04 November 2020, 18:33:37 »
Don't set your expectations too high.  This year I got a 55gm Realforce TKL.  It's nice but it didn't blow me away.  Typing doesn't feel as precise to me.  The keystrokes were too pillowy and vague for my taste. Maybe I just don't like linears.  The keyboard has remained in the corner ever since.  To someone who loves Topre I probably don't deserve this keyboard.  Meh.

Offline Polymer

« Reply #45 on: Wed, 04 November 2020, 21:07:12 »
Don't set your expectations too high.  This year I got a 55gm Realforce TKL.  It's nice but it didn't blow me away.  Typing doesn't feel as precise to me.  The keystrokes were too pillowy and vague for my taste. Maybe I just don't like linears.  The keyboard has remained in the corner ever since.  To someone who loves Topre I probably don't deserve this keyboard.  Meh.

Maybe the issue is you think they're linear or the way you type they feel linear to you.

Factually, they're not...

Offline diazel

« Reply #46 on: Wed, 04 November 2020, 21:33:49 »

Maybe the issue is you think they're linear or the way you type they feel linear to you.

They're tactile rubber domes, not linear, but obviously in this case the linear description doesn't come into play. They explained what about the feel they don't like so maybe the issue is you think he thinks they're linear and therefore doesn't like them And if it's the way they type that makes them feel linear then maybe they're heavy handed and Topre at 55g isn't as satisfying as a heavy tactile bump like in a panda switch with a heavy spring like those you find in Cherry clears.

FWIW, I agree with the sentiments. Topre does have mushiness you're not going to find in mx type switches. When I got my first, I couldn't get enough of the soft plops. But it's not for everyone. I used one today all day at work and it was fine but once I got home I found myself on an Anne Pro 2 that I recently swapped T1s into and it's stellar and clacky. It's all about how the mood strikes you.

« Last Edit: Wed, 04 November 2020, 21:36:08 by diazel »

Offline Polymer

« Reply #47 on: Wed, 04 November 2020, 23:37:35 »

They're tactile rubber domes, not linear, but obviously in this case the linear description doesn't come into play. They explained what about the feel they don't like so maybe the issue is you think he thinks they're linear and therefore doesn't like them And if it's the way they type that makes them feel linear then maybe they're heavy handed and Topre at 55g isn't as satisfying as a heavy tactile bump like in a panda switch with a heavy spring like those you find in Cherry clears.

FWIW, I agree with the sentiments. Topre does have mushiness you're not going to find in mx type switches. When I got my first, I couldn't get enough of the soft plops. But it's not for everyone. I used one today all day at work and it was fine but once I got home I found myself on an Anne Pro 2 that I recently swapped T1s into and it's stellar and clacky. It's all about how the mood strikes you.

I guess everyone's opinion on mushiness is different...Mushy to me is a typical rubber dome that actually just compresses and has nothing there to stabilize it...the keys move, even after you bottom out it can still give a bit.  Topre has none of that.  It doesn't have a clack when you bottom out though which is probably what people think is a lack of mushiness but it really is just a sound.

Offline jamster

« Reply #48 on: Thu, 05 November 2020, 00:40:38 »

Topre is a lot more firm and stable than o-ringed MX IMO...although it seems to me you like orings better than factory silenced MX...I actually think Cherry MX Silent Reds are pretty stable and prefer them to o-ringed mx...

I should have been more specific. The Topre bottom out feels similar to o-ringed MX. The rest of the switch experience is totally different, and I far prefer Topre.

With o-ringed MX and factory silenced MX, both have their pros and cons. I would not say that I prefer one over the other. Overall, I feel that then MX design is fundamentally lacking in many ways, to me it's a 'good enough and available enough' method to just settle on. Causes me to find the whole high end milled board scene a bit amusing too- people spending crazy money on such a fundamentally gimped technology. But each to their own.

I do want to try factory silenced Topre sometime, but I have more boards than I need already, and am not into the whole 'collecting' thing.
« Last Edit: Thu, 05 November 2020, 00:44:00 by jamster »

Offline Entropia

« Reply #49 on: Thu, 05 November 2020, 04:04:02 »
I have two high quality boards, both Leopold, but both with very different switches: Topre and MX Black. Once you get used to Topre it no longer feels awesome, like the first time you try it. However, if I spend some days using my keyboard with MX blacks, when I go back to Topre I feel again how special it is. That is why I like having and using two different boards. This does not mean that the MX blacks are not interesting. After a long time using Topres I also miss typing on Blacks, which are very smooth on the Leopold boards, and sound great too because of the thick PBT keycaps. My only complaint with Topres is the spacebar and also some long keys, which sound different (especially the backspace). The spacebar, apart from getting shiny very easily (ABS plastic), rattles when you touch it and sounds bad when you press it, which is a bit annoying. On the other hand my board with MX Blacks is consistent and I have no rattle at all.
« Last Edit: Thu, 05 November 2020, 04:05:41 by Entropia »