Author Topic: [IC] Key 65  (Read 106545 times)

Offline PikaJoyce

Re: [IC] Key 65 (old name NR65) | Update
« Reply #300 on: Wed, 21 August 2019, 17:25:47 »
Would have genuinely loved it a lot if it was a nicely stylized f(x) but not a fan of the key logo :/

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
This is actually a really good suggestion. A stylistic f(x) might be better than a key which many of claimed to be too similar to the keycult logo.

Offline Kokaloo

• 🤘(• ω •)🤙
« Reply #301 on: Wed, 21 August 2019, 17:47:19 »
The key looks great. Shocking how a few logos related to keyboards can be keys, at least Fox has a creative use for it.

Offline phlux

« Reply #302 on: Wed, 21 August 2019, 18:51:47 »
Really dislike the new logo. I think a key logo could work, but it needs to be improved. It almost looks like it was made in MS Paint, and the rounded corners on the "F" have that Comic Sans feel, as someone mentioned before.

Really like the board, and would be delighted to have an unbranded option if this logo sticks.

Offline Simplixity

« Reply #303 on: Thu, 22 August 2019, 03:08:11 »
Yes, would prefer an unbranded version if the new logo sticks.

Offline senter

• * Maker
« Reply #304 on: Thu, 22 August 2019, 14:15:02 »
Here is the final decision for the logo options. We will have 6 versions of top cases in total.

I'm sure many people won't agree but I incline to the view that art is subjective. The logo design was a headache to me because I"m not an artist and graphic design is really not my forte. Even worse, I was trying to make a logo that can please everyone including myself. Now I understand that's not possible. People from different backgrounds have different opinions. I've heard it's related to a concept called Construal level.  Take foreign-language tattoo as an example, some Chinese characters the westerners think cool may look very silly by Chinese people, even if the syntax is correct. In the Key logo, some people mentioned that the X looks like the X-men logo. I've watched X-men movies many times but I didn't realize it until double-check. I was just not sensitive to the X-men's X because English is not my native tongue. To be honest, the top right corner logos on several other 65% kits don't look good to me as well. Sorry, I'm not gonna name them BTW. Some even look very stupid to me. Similarly, I have mixed feelings about the popular katakana sub-legends on many keysets. What makes these things good design? Apparently, the katakana sub-legends are not practically useful. Are popular designs objectively good or just suitable for the correct group of people? These questions have been puzzled me for quite some time now.

Anyway, the 6 versions of top case options should satisfy many of you, definitely not all of you though. I'm pretty happy with the Key logo so I'll keep it. It looks simple but believe me I put a lot of thoughts into it.

At the end of the day, the logo is just a logo. It may make mundane objects seem sophisticated and alluring, but it doesn't change what the keyboard is. I wouldn't even add a logo there if I knew it can cause so many conflicting viewpoints.

Again, I'm not an artist. Even the decisions are made, I'm open for comments about what I said.
« Last Edit: Thu, 22 August 2019, 15:38:22 by senter »

Offline ramblinrose

« Reply #305 on: Thu, 22 August 2019, 14:36:04 »
Very true with designing by committee - you can't please everyone. I think your solution with the 6 tops and 2 different logo options should please enough :P Just hope it's not too much of a pain in terms of production.

Offline Poblopuablo

« Reply #306 on: Thu, 22 August 2019, 15:22:51 »
Is the plan to make all 6 top options or only a few) personally I like the 3rd option or even no logo.

I love the key design (+1 from me) :) I love the new design over the "NR" logo.

Yeah, you can never please everyone. But I appreciate what you have done and thank you for all the effort. (For whatever my appreciation and thanks are worth... Idk ;p)

Thank you :D

Offline Cresc3nt

Re: [IC] Key 65 (old name NR65) | Finalized the logo options
« Reply #307 on: Thu, 22 August 2019, 16:03:50 »
Well I'll definitely be hopping on the key logo one. Thanks for the amount of options you're providing.

Offline o3okevin

« Reply #308 on: Thu, 22 August 2019, 16:15:29 »
Based Senter, thanks for providing so many options :) in for a winkey Chinese character logo

Offline SoraNoTenshi

« Reply #309 on: Thu, 22 August 2019, 17:03:35 »
And you have sold me with that 1st Option (Kanji + Windows Key).

For everyone wondering...
The Setup planned for this board is the following:
GMK Vaporwave with Hiragana Alphas
Vint. Cherry Blacks (lubed, either 3204 / 205g0)
for the colours... i will have to see what the options gonna be. but yeah i am really happy with the finalized logo options!

Offline zekth

« Reply #310 on: Thu, 22 August 2019, 17:40:32 »
Is there any possibility to have a KLE for the bottom row layouts? Really interested into the split spacebar. 2.25 + 2.75 ?

Offline Lil

• designedbydark
« Reply #311 on: Thu, 22 August 2019, 22:07:13 »
Yeah that kanji + wkl is godlike

Offline Solotov

« Reply #312 on: Thu, 22 August 2019, 22:41:48 »
Thanks for the final adjustment  :thumb:
I'll definitely go for PC + letter top + key logo weight + wk.  :p
Flex is love, flex is life.

Offline AlcoholEnthusiast

« Reply #313 on: Fri, 23 August 2019, 00:39:07 »
Thanks for offering so many different choices to please everyone. Excited for the GB. Plans on when it will start?

Any updates on POM and G10 case option, or Pattern Welded Steel Weight?
« Last Edit: Fri, 23 August 2019, 00:40:46 by AlcoholEnthusiast »

Offline jimboytacos

« Reply #314 on: Fri, 23 August 2019, 01:09:04 »
I'll take the one without the logo. The last one. WKL/Blocker.

Offline Kingjunguhn

« Reply #315 on: Fri, 23 August 2019, 01:11:45 »
I'll take the second option it looks amazing to me

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

url=https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=107845.0][/url

Offline skrunk

« Reply #316 on: Fri, 23 August 2019, 02:28:14 »
I'm sure many people won't agree but I incline to the view that art is subjective. The logo design was a headache to me because I"m not an artist and graphic design is really not my forte. Even worse, I was trying to make a logo that can please everyone including myself. Now I understand that's not possible. People from different backgrounds have different opinions. I've heard it's related to a concept called Construal level.  Take foreign-language tattoo as an example, some Chinese characters the westerners think cool may look very silly by Chinese people, even if the syntax is correct. In the Key logo, some people mentioned that the X looks like the X-men logo. I've watched X-men movies many times but I didn't realize it until double-check. I was just not sensitive to the X-men's X because English is not my native tongue. To be honest, the top right corner logos on several other 65% kits don't look good to me as well. Sorry, I'm not gonna name them BTW. Some even look very stupid to me. Similarly, I have mixed feelings about the popular katakana sub-legends on many keysets. What makes these things good design? Apparently, the katakana sub-legends are not practically useful. Are popular designs objectively good or just suitable for the correct group of people? These questions have been puzzled me for quite some time now.

Anyway, the 6 versions of top case options should satisfy many of you, definitely not all of you though. I'm pretty happy with the Key logo so I'll keep it. It looks simple but believe me I put a lot of thoughts into it.

At the end of the day, the logo is just a logo. It may make mundane objects seem sophisticated and alluring, but it doesn't change what the keyboard is. I wouldn't even add a logo there if I knew it can cause so many conflicting viewpoints.

Again, I'm not an artist. Even the decisions are made, I'm open for comments about what I said.

Honestly, the whole redesign thing was ridiculous. Constructive criticism is fine if it concerns the feel of the board or if potential flaws are present, but the aesthetics of the board should always be what the designer has in mind. If you don't like the design, just don't buy the board...
Past Keyboards : LZ CLS, Unikorn, Noxary X65, KFE CE, HHKB Pro2, Realforce TKL

Current Keyboards: FC660C, HHKB Pro1, GSKT-00

Offline Xantus

« Reply #317 on: Fri, 23 August 2019, 03:47:26 »
I cant find any infos on total weight and front height of this board..

Offline Faust_

« Reply #318 on: Fri, 23 August 2019, 05:13:03 »
Thanks so much for being open to feedback and providing more logo options. You're not obliged to do that at all and it's much appreciated! Definitely in for kanji + WKL.

Offline evorus5

« Reply #319 on: Fri, 23 August 2019, 13:15:47 »

Honestly, the whole redesign thing was ridiculous. Constructive criticism is fine if it concerns the feel of the board or if potential flaws are present, but the aesthetics of the board should always be what the designer has in mind. If you don't like the design, just don't buy the board...

It's a group buy. Won't go anywhere if there is not enough interest...

Offline 青の空

« Reply #320 on: Fri, 23 August 2019, 13:21:00 »
cant wait for when the gb goes live

Offline bobgr8

« Reply #321 on: Fri, 23 August 2019, 14:32:12 »
gib us the leaf!

Offline Kingjunguhn

« Reply #322 on: Fri, 23 August 2019, 14:53:49 »
Hurry up with the GB please I needs the precious now lol

Offline AlcoholEnthusiast

« Reply #323 on: Fri, 23 August 2019, 18:09:55 »

Well thats kind of the point of an IC isn't it?

Offline Beatnutz

« Reply #324 on: Sat, 24 August 2019, 00:58:20 »

Exactly.

The problem with this trend of using top blocker logos is that the logo is way too dominant and often designed by someone who is not a graphic designer by profession (at least not a good one). To be quite honest most of them look terrible. So not only did I sacrifice a key, I now have to look at a bad logo whenever I look down on my keyboard.

Nobody buys a keyboard for the logo, so why does it have to be so dominant? This trend doesn't serve anybody but the designer.

The fact that the past 7 pages are pretty much all about the logo and not about the keyboard says something. Personally I don't think the first version was that bad but it was still an easy pass because of the in-your-face branding which I dislike.

I really like this board and feel that it's a shame they discussions derailed but maybe it is a good indication to future GB runners of what not to do. Your keyboard should be about exactly that, not the logo.

Put it on underneath or a tiny one on the side/back if you really need to have it.

Sure we can move on and not buy the keyboard, but it's a shame not to because this one and others are lovely and people are just venting because the branding is is holding them back from committing to the purchase. As long as we're all civil it should be OK. That's what an IC is for.
« Last Edit: Sat, 24 August 2019, 01:08:46 by Beatnutz »

Offline jimboytacos

« Reply #325 on: Sat, 24 August 2019, 02:29:42 »
I agree that the initial logo NR wasn't terrible as others have disagreed on. In fact, it only got worse. And in this case, I believe OP fell too far down that hole and let everyone get to him.

Get back to basics and focus on what matters, even if it means the removal of that corner blocker which in all honesty, serves no real function other than aesthetics.

Offline narunekogi

« Reply #326 on: Sat, 24 August 2019, 02:39:56 »
Thank you very much for your thought process regarding the logo. I'm definitely going to snatch one up once the GB goes live.

Offline Vireca

« Reply #327 on: Sat, 24 August 2019, 02:52:50 »
What means the kanji?

Offline narunekogi

« Reply #328 on: Sat, 24 August 2019, 10:57:56 »
What means the kanji?

it means 'key'

Offline SoraNoTenshi

« Reply #329 on: Sat, 24 August 2019, 13:29:24 »

Offline jrs

« Reply #330 on: Sun, 25 August 2019, 12:09:51 »
What color options will be available?  When will the GB happen?  Will the PCB support VIA configurator?

Offline Pach

« Reply #331 on: Sun, 25 August 2019, 12:16:58 »
Whooo I like this. Keep it up!

Offline 8bitderp

« Reply #332 on: Sun, 25 August 2019, 14:07:14 »
Found my old login credentials just to say, YES PLEASE.
Daffy Collector

Offline Pennywise359

« Reply #333 on: Sun, 25 August 2019, 19:35:39 »
After not following this thread for few weeks and seeing the updated design I am impressed. Good job count me in!

Offline senter

• * Maker
« Reply #334 on: Sun, 25 August 2019, 19:44:20 »

Exactly.

The problem with this trend of using top blocker logos is that the logo is way too dominant and often designed by someone who is not a graphic designer by profession (at least not a good one). To be quite honest most of them look terrible. So not only did I sacrifice a key, I now have to look at a bad logo whenever I look down on my keyboard.

Nobody buys a keyboard for the logo, so why does it have to be so dominant? This trend doesn't serve anybody but the designer.

The fact that the past 7 pages are pretty much all about the logo and not about the keyboard says something. Personally I don't think the first version was that bad but it was still an easy pass because of the in-your-face branding which I dislike.

I really like this board and feel that it's a shame they discussions derailed but maybe it is a good indication to future GB runners of what not to do. Your keyboard should be about exactly that, not the logo.

Put it on underneath or a tiny one on the side/back if you really need to have it.

Sure we can move on and not buy the keyboard, but it's a shame not to because this one and others are lovely and people are just venting because the branding is is holding them back from committing to the purchase. As long as we're all civil it should be OK. That's what an IC is for.

I totally agree with what you say. It's a shame that almost all the discussions were about the logo design.

That being said, I understand why people care about it. Even if I can convince people that it's not important and they are biased, it doesn't change the fact that they like or hate it. As mentioned by someone, it's a group buy, it won't happen if no one likes it, no matter how good I believe it is. If many people want a logo there, I'll put a logo there.

Hope all the discussions can shed some lights on what's controversial and what's not for all GB runners.

The prototyping will be finished soon. GB will start if everything works out nicely on the prototypes. In the period before GB starts, don't hesitate to ask more questions.

Offline senter

• * Maker
« Reply #335 on: Sun, 25 August 2019, 19:46:50 »
What color options will be available?  When will the GB happen?  Will the PCB support VIA configurator?

Color options are still TBD. It highly depends on what you say in the IC period.
I'm not familiar with VIA configurator but I'll look into it.

Offline Kingjunguhn

« Reply #336 on: Sun, 25 August 2019, 20:32:48 »
Hopefully there is black and blue

Offline PotatoTM

« Reply #337 on: Sun, 25 August 2019, 22:14:31 »
I'm still super interested in learning more about the newer stuff I've never seen before in keyboards; G10 case and Pattern Welded steel weight, are you having protos made for these so we can sort of estimate what they would look like/sound/feel if they were to happen?

Offline SoraNoTenshi

« Reply #338 on: Mon, 26 August 2019, 03:53:37 »

Color options are still TBD. It highly depends on what you say in the IC period.
I'm not familiar with VIA configurator but I'll look into it.

I would definetly have some suggestions:
1. Is the Welded Steel option still in consideration? (This would be something, i believe, a few people are interested in!)
2. The base colours are the very least: Black, Grey and White; i personally would also love to see something like a dark / forest green, navy blue, and/or maybe even a dark-ish pink tone.
3. Eventually an option to switch top and bottom case parts; e.G. White Bottom, Black Top.

Offline FredBananaz

« Reply #339 on: Mon, 26 August 2019, 07:06:59 »
Count me as interested. Totally digging the design of this keyboard
« Last Edit: Mon, 26 August 2019, 13:06:51 by FredBananaz »

Offline biker0x01

« Reply #340 on: Mon, 26 August 2019, 08:53:21 »
I am so in ! Is there a discord I can join so to get regular infos and discussions of this ?

Offline v4rg

« Reply #341 on: Mon, 26 August 2019, 14:03:58 »
damn this is absolutely gorgeous!
is there an interest form yet? i think i haven' seen one

Offline Cresc3nt

« Reply #342 on: Mon, 26 August 2019, 15:13:37 »
Definitely looking for the white one like the render :D.

Offline kwentin

« Reply #343 on: Mon, 26 August 2019, 16:16:11 »
This looks slick. I'd be in for the white.

Offline cattharsis

« Reply #344 on: Mon, 26 August 2019, 16:46:45 »
Definitely in for a blue version :D

Offline Soraie

« Reply #345 on: Mon, 26 August 2019, 21:24:27 »
I've been looking for a nice PolyCarb board ever since PC Singa!! Really hoping I can get in on this GB!! 65% is also perfect :)

Edit: The key logo is really unique but can't decide between key or kanji so maybe both?

Offline R0N1N

« Reply #346 on: Tue, 27 August 2019, 05:00:10 »
Is red a possibility?

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Offline ramblinrose

« Reply #347 on: Tue, 27 August 2019, 10:22:22 »
How does the titanium plate compare in firmness / sound to aluminum / brass? Also since you are considering a POM case, please consider POM plates as well - I really dig my singa with a POM plate.. unique sound and a soft flexy bottom out.

Offline Lil

• designedbydark
« Reply #348 on: Tue, 27 August 2019, 11:56:16 »
How does the titanium plate compare in firmness / sound to aluminum / brass? Also since you are considering a POM case, please consider POM plates as well - I really dig my singa with a POM plate.. unique sound and a soft flexy bottom out.
I can't speak for plates but I have a titanium bicycle and it's extremely vibration dampening/absorbent vs carbon fibre or aluminium

Sent from my G8341 using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: Wed, 28 August 2019, 03:35:05 by Lil »

Offline Dennyroxsox

• a.k.a. Lollipopsaurus
« Reply #349 on: Wed, 28 August 2019, 09:28:59 »

WK and WKL options for 3 different tops sound fantastic. I think these are great options, and you've gone above and beyond expectations. I see some people are (still) complaining about logo issues. Honestly I feel hypebeasts have taken over much of the hobby, and their lust for "aesthetics" is ruining the main purpose of ICs.

About color options - in the past you've offered MAO white. Is that possible here? Or is the process too difficult? I have it on my Leaf 80's plate, and I really love the matte white effect. I think it would be really great as an accent.

As for the board itself, I own a Leaf 80, and it's my favorite board. The brand may not be as hyped as other brands, but their build quality is just as good. I have no doubt in the quality of Fox Labs, and I'm very excited for this GB. I definitely want one aluminum with the gray/black(unless MAO white is available) and one polycarb. The price point is amazing, and Fox Labs has a history of solid manufacturing and delivery. I'd encourage anyone to buy into this.