Author Topic: The 75% layout I want  (Read 33888 times)

Offline Telstar

The 75% layout I want
« on: Thu, 18 April 2019, 02:58:08 »

This is my last attempt in designing a layout I would use everyday and i think will be the last :)
To keep a reasonable cost, the keycaps would be DSA with laser printing - about 20 of them have non standard legend, more if I were to go with a variable height profile such as SA.

Key points (pun intended):
-Win key out of the way, but still present (where 60% keeps put the ESC)
-Big ass DEL in my ideal place
-No right CRTL
-All arithmetic symbols all together similar to a numpad (and not duplicated within the main area)
-Proper spacing for arrows and important special keys such as ESC, Home/end, PRTSCR).
-Revised qwerty ITA layout with most used letters within easy reach. Will require actual testing with legend caps and therefore is subject to changes.
-7u spacebar is still big but available relatively easy
-Planning to go with 20 or 21mm keys spacing

Offline fanovorc

Re: The 75% layout I want
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 24 April 2019, 19:48:50 »
looks like this design  :arisu-pcb in Github

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
  • she/her/they/them/any except he him
    • My Roblox Profile
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 13 May 2019, 10:13:47 »
That looks a bit awkward to type on especially with the big enter. You might find yourself accidentally pressing the + key rather than the enter key .

That is why i prefer ANSI, because on Iso layouts they put the enter too big so i get more typing mistakes.

Offline JohnMD1022

• http://springcreekrhapsody.blogspot.com
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 28 August 2019, 15:01:21 »
If I could eliminate a key, it would be Caps Lock. I've disabled mine.

Offline Lanrefni

« Reply #4 on: Thu, 29 August 2019, 00:53:33 »
If I could eliminate a key, it would be Caps Lock. I've disabled mine.

I have Caps set to Ctrl on all my boards.

Offline Sup

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Doing university was a mistake
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 29 August 2019, 10:32:51 »
That looks a bit awkward to type on especially with the big enter. You might find yourself accidentally pressing the + key rather than the enter key .

That is why i prefer ANSI, because on Iso layouts they put the enter too big so i get more typing mistakes.

That makes legit 0 sense.
current
Filco Zero -  NOS Yellow Alps | Canoe R1 Gateron Red | AEK II JP Cream dampend |Filco Majestouch 2 Tex case Gateron Yellow | HHKB Pro 1 2003 Rev AO Serial 000171 | HHKB Pro 1 2003 Rev A1s|DZ60 OG Panda's with Fei spring and stem. | Sentraq S65_Plus OG Invyr Panda's | A17 Gateron Black TX 65G 3204 | Lubrigrante Wildcard Cherry MX silent blacks 3204 58.5G Springs | Rukia Everglide Tourmaline Blue 58.5G Springs | MGA Standard Greetech brown |
Coming soon
Rest in peace Billy Herrington(William Glen Harold Herrington) 1969-2018
Rest in peace Byron Daniel 1989-2020

Offline macroxue

• Darknight: DIY 60% Split Keyboard
« Reply #6 on: Sat, 31 August 2019, 16:19:46 »
It might be better to have the navigation keys closer together. Right now you have Home and End far away from arrow keys. No PgUp and PgDn keys?

It could be awkward to type Ctrl-Y, Ctrl-T etc. without a right Ctrl key.

BTW, you've got two F10 keys.
[Darknight: DIY 60% Split Keyboard](https://github.com/macroxue/keyboard-diy)

Offline _rubik

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Typing on: Brutal60, Lavenders Linears, GMK Jamon
« Reply #7 on: Sat, 31 August 2019, 16:47:34 »
Why do you need such a huge delete key? Big ass enter key? Why do you need all math related functions in the nav cluster? I'm confused.

What is your daily work flow like? Maybe you have a specific use case in mind?
ai03 Meridian ¤ Mech 27 ¤ E8.5 ¤ Brutal60 ¤ SSK White Label ¤ HHKB Pro JP ¤ vAEK68 Alps Blues ¤ RF87u

Offline Myteethfeelweird

« Reply #8 on: Mon, 13 January 2020, 22:54:40 »
This is a really cool design but I cant let go of my dactyl! Keep killing it! Looking forward to a hand wired version set up

Offline typo

« Reply #9 on: Wed, 18 March 2020, 07:47:29 »
If you are building such a custom board the last thing you want is laser engraving! If you must skimp on that just go blank then! Laser is almost worse than pad printing. It will look horrible in a few months. Plus such a non standard layout is going to make the key caps cost a fortune. You will have to get a one off run. That could cost easily over 5 grand from a good company like GMK or SP. That is exactly why they do group buys. Overall I think that layout would be a nightmare to type on but it is yours so I am sure it works great for you. Unless you are not sure. In which case it could be a huge amount of money lost. Like just now I decided to ditch the expensive 65% I won at a Korean auction and go back to my custom RealForce RGB with new key caps. Losing money is great, isn't it? Honestly I have a lot of it but I absolutely do not enjoy losing it! I went back because I cannot program this thing. QMK locks it up every single time. I am done with it now. I do not need help. I am a seasoned coder. Even though I work in Management now. I was all set on the non plastic case and what have you but Topre is Topre. Most say not the RGB but they have not tried mine. All I did is make mine just like a R2 PFU limited. Easier said than done however. A lot of trial and error went into it along with money. Yes, complain about it now I am ready. I bet 1 pubic hair that walie shows up. Anyways it suits my needs is the point. If that suits your needs than by all means, do it!