Author Topic: What's Bothering You? (The thread about what is bothering you.)  (Read 4194046 times)

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
Re: What's Bothering You? (The thread about what is bothering you.)
« Reply #27150 on: Wed, 18 September 2019, 06:36:49 »
Went to the doctor yet again and good news - no more infection!  That's great, except I still feel hungover and am generally useless...  They have decided to take blood and do a scan, but there are no blood taking appointments until next Thursday and on calling to book a scan I was caller 1 in the queue for 10 minutes before someone turned the phone off.  That is there was a "we're too busy, call back later" message and on calling back 15 minutes later the new message was "this phone line is closed due to *static-y sound*, please call back after 2pm".  Maybe I'll feel better in October?!
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline Starius

« Reply #27151 on: Wed, 18 September 2019, 18:00:06 »
I want to eventually put a COAX splitter on my attic mounted antenna cable, so I can divide it to both my antenna tv and a FM radio receiver.  (The antenna can easily do double duty there, FM radio signals fall between VHF channel 6 and channel 7 on the spectrum) I have some old COAX splitters handy, that do 5-600mhz.  However, I see chatter online that one should use splitters that do 800-1000mhz. (And the ones that go up to 2500mhz might suck at the lower frequencies I hear).
Now I'm wondering if I need to buy a new splitter... or if one of my old 600mhz ones would be just fine for my needs.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #27152 on: Wed, 18 September 2019, 18:20:47 »
It's weirdly difficult to find a solid black button up long sleeve dress shirt. I went to four stores before giving up and just ordering one online.

As someone who pretty much only wears black this does not bode well for my future wardrobe. Everyone wants to look like a technicolor clown vomited on them these days.

Wound up going with this really nice Filson shirt after going into one of their stores and being impressed with the quality and ordering online.
https://www.filson.com/western-flannel-shirt.html#sku=20121580-fco-000001926
« Last Edit: Wed, 18 September 2019, 18:22:31 by noisyturtle »

Offline dingusxmcgee

« Reply #27153 on: Wed, 18 September 2019, 18:25:20 »
It's weirdly difficult to find a solid black button up long sleeve dress shirt. I went to four stores before giving up and just ordering one online.

As someone who pretty much only wears black this does not bode well for my future wardrobe. Everyone wants to look like a technicolor clown vomited on them these days.

Wound up going with this really nice Filson shirt after going into one of their stores and being impressed with the quality and ordering online.

That does look nice.

On an unrelated note, I can’t imagine spending $135 on a shirt.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #27154 on: Wed, 18 September 2019, 18:31:32 »

That does look nice.

On an unrelated note, I can’t imagine spending $135 on a shirt.

I don't like it either, but it's super hard finding the perfect business casual solid black button up. It's one of those things that if I see one I really like I buy it regardless, and the one in the store that was a different color was really nice so... but yeah, the price is also something bothering me :))

Offline dingusxmcgee

« Reply #27155 on: Wed, 18 September 2019, 18:45:38 »
I feel you on that.
Sometimes, you gotta cough up a bit of dough.

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #27156 on: Wed, 18 September 2019, 19:05:04 »
It's difficult to find a decent button these days.

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #27157 on: Thu, 19 September 2019, 03:39:47 »
Just went to recommend winkeyless.kr to a newbie only to find it's ceased trading.  No more cheap(ish) Kustoms, just cheap copies :(
GMK Hyperfuse
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline Kavik

« Reply #27158 on: Thu, 19 September 2019, 08:08:15 »
Just went to recommend winkeyless.kr to a newbie only to find it's ceased trading.  No more cheap(ish) Kustoms, just cheap copies :(

That sucks. I remember seeing lots of tempting kits on that site when I first started out, but I never got around to ordering anything. I guess I missed my chance.
Maybe they're waiting for gasmasks and latex to get sexy again.

The world has become a weird place.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #27159 on: Thu, 19 September 2019, 08:12:35 »

Such Events allow Gekhrs to rest, relax and focus on that of which is Truly important in Life..  Yugioh Cards..

Offline fanpeople

« Reply #27160 on: Thu, 19 September 2019, 17:31:43 »

Such Events allow Gekhrs to rest, relax and focus on that of which is Truly important in Life..  Yugioh Cards..

It is time....

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #27161 on: Thu, 19 September 2019, 17:45:30 »

It is time....

/was Triggered
/Activated trap card , Amazoness Willpower
/Now am calm

Offline invariance

• ...here with all the other boson's
« Reply #27162 on: Fri, 20 September 2019, 18:11:20 »
Set the router dns to cleanbrowsing.org - young kids - now imgur is blocked and I can’t watch chyros’ vids  :(
Have to do it from work now.
The only BS I
want to hear is
from a Model M:
PN:1391401
DOB: 04FEB87
      Wyse 85      Mtek K104
SMK Blue: Chicony KB-5181; HyperX Aqua: HyperX Alloy Origins *Yet-to-rebuild: A 69 key C. P. Clare Foam & Foil assy *Rubber: Digital LK46W-A2; uSoft Natural Pro RT9401, Natural Multimedia 1.0A RT9470, Natural Ergonomic 4000 KU-0460; "Avid" Sejin SLKR2233; "Diamond Touch" Mitsubishi 6511-PB

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #27163 on: Fri, 20 September 2019, 18:17:20 »
I ate my lunch outside the cafeteria for all four years of high school, and for whatever reason, I just realized that this is the opposite of normal at the time.  For illustrative purposes: it was/is your basic small town HS cafeteria with the addition of an outside window for ordering snacks like fries/pizza/chicken sandwiches.  There was/is also a partially covered outside seating area.  It goes deeper though.. I have no memory of what the atmosphere looked like, what food was served, how the food was served, or how the rat race seating was organized because I never went beyond the Fruitopia vending machine.  Which was a few paces within the cafeteria entryway.  Rain, lightning storms, late Hurrican season storms.. didn't matter, we'd stay outside and move to the covered walkway areas to keep away from the horizontal rain.  All my pals n' peers avoided the cafeteria as well, so I'm completely at a loss as to what they served for lunch at Gainesville High School before I graduated in the early aughts.  The strange things I think about when I can't sleep at night..

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #27164 on: Fri, 20 September 2019, 18:23:02 »
I ate my lunch outside the cafeteria for all four years of high school, and for whatever reason, I just realized that this is the opposite of normal at the time.  For illustrative purposes: it was/is your basic small town HS cafeteria with the addition of an outside window

Show Image

Tp4 always ate lunch Ind00rs,  Nver Outside.

During hi skewl, a large tree fell outside, landed on the metal outdoor lunch table, it flipped  and killed a student.

Vowed never to sit under trees again.  The tree had mites, causing it to hollow over the years, culminating in tragedy. .  One simply can not check every tree one might sit under. 

Offline dingusxmcgee

« Reply #27165 on: Fri, 20 September 2019, 18:45:16 »
I ate my lunch outside the cafeteria for all four years of high school, and for whatever reason, I just realized that this is the opposite of normal at the time.  For illustrative purposes: it was/is your basic small town HS cafeteria with the addition of an outside window

Show Image

Tp4 always ate lunch Ind00rs,  Nver Outside.

During hi skewl, a large tree fell outside, landed on the metal outdoor lunch table, it flipped  and killed a student.

Vowed never to sit under trees again.  The tree had mites, causing it to hollow over the years, culminating in tragedy. .  One simply can not check every tree one might sit under. 

Yikes

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #27166 on: Sat, 21 September 2019, 11:59:10 »
Set the router dns to cleanbrowsing.org - young kids - now imgur is blocked and I can’t watch chyros’ vids  :(
Do the kids have their own devices?  If so you can tell yours to use whatever DNS you like rather than your router.
GMK Hyperfuse
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline invariance

• ...here with all the other boson's
« Reply #27167 on: Sun, 22 September 2019, 05:31:55 »
Do the kids have their own devices?  If so you can tell yours to use whatever DNS you like rather than your router.
The kids have their own iPads.
I kept going to the wi-Fi settings looking to change the dns, not until now did I actually scroll the screen up.  What a ****en noob!
Now I can see all of noisyturtles pictures in random pics thread :) :)
The only BS I
want to hear is
from a Model M:
PN:1391401
DOB: 04FEB87
      Wyse 85      Mtek K104
SMK Blue: Chicony KB-5181; HyperX Aqua: HyperX Alloy Origins *Yet-to-rebuild: A 69 key C. P. Clare Foam & Foil assy *Rubber: Digital LK46W-A2; uSoft Natural Pro RT9401, Natural Multimedia 1.0A RT9470, Natural Ergonomic 4000 KU-0460; "Avid" Sejin SLKR2233; "Diamond Touch" Mitsubishi 6511-PB

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #27168 on: Sat, 28 September 2019, 05:24:22 »
Went to the doctors despite feeling slightly better.  12 mins to get there, 12 mins sitting in the waiting room (because they've been open an hour so have had plenty of time to run late...) 2 mins to actually get blood taken then 12 mins to walk home.  I resent doing anything where the travelling/waiting time equals time doing [whatever] but this is as bad as the dentist.  And when will I hear the results?  Probably at the scan which is in another three weeks.

Also had my first appraisal at work and after mentioning I'd been stupid due to illness for a couple of months one of the questions was 'how are you managing to work' to which the honest answer would have been 'turn up and hope I don't do anything too stupid which would result in you sacking me on the spot - I'm surprised I lasted this long!'.  First time I've ever lied seriously at work, not a good feeling.
GMK Hyperfuse
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #27169 on: Sat, 28 September 2019, 08:46:20 »
Went to the doctors despite feeling slightly better.  12 mins to get there, 12 mins sitting in the waiting room (because they've been open an hour so have had plenty of time to run late...) 2 mins to actually get blood taken then 12 mins to walk home.  I resent doing anything where the travelling/waiting time equals time doing [whatever] but this is as bad as the dentist.  And when will I hear the results?  Probably at the scan which is in another three weeks.

Also had my first appraisal at work and after mentioning I'd been stupid due to illness for a couple of months one of the questions was 'how are you managing to work' to which the honest answer would have been 'turn up and hope I don't do anything too stupid which would result in you sacking me on the spot - I'm surprised I lasted this long!'.  First time I've ever lied seriously at work, not a good feeling.

There's a bug goin' round.. Probably another bird flu.

Guys,  as much as Tp4 loves Chikam Nooghttz..   We need to stop battery farming, it is the most unhygienic, disease ridden, disease producing system known to man.

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #27170 on: Sat, 28 September 2019, 08:56:07 »

There's a bug goin' round.. Probably another bird flu.

Guys,  as much as Tp4 loves Chikam Nooghttz..   We need to stop battery farming, it is the most unhygienic, disease ridden, disease producing system known to man.

Managed to edit out that I also now appear to have a cold which is supposedly going round, I wore my winter coat done up which is all kinds of wrong as it's still t-shirt weather.

I did not succumb to the suggestion I should have a burger as 'years of being a veggie has finally caught up with [me]' as was suggested!
GMK Hyperfuse
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #27171 on: Sat, 28 September 2019, 09:18:04 »

Managed to edit out that I also now appear to have a cold which is supposedly going round, I wore my winter coat done up which is all kinds of wrong as it's still t-shirt weather.

I did not succumb to the suggestion I should have a burger as 'years of being a veggie has finally caught up with [me]' as was suggested!

All major pandemics are the result of animal agriculture.

Medical anthropologists have identified

Domestication of Cows --> Rinderpest virus -->  Measles

Camels -->  Camel Pox --> Small Pox

Monkey --> Bush meat --> Simian immuno virus --> HIV (Aids)

Pigs --> Whopping Cough

Chickens --> Typhoid Mary --> Typhoid fever

Ducks --> Influenza (Flu)

Water Buffalo --> Leprosy

Horses --> Common Cold

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #27172 on: Sat, 28 September 2019, 09:39:13 »
Hope y'all UK folks are ready for Lorenzo :(

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #27173 on: Sat, 28 September 2019, 09:58:24 »
... Is that a bad pizza chef?  Sounds like the kind of thing you'd say for a storm but though they were female...  Damn this mental fuzz.

It is a storm, but yellow flood warnings aren't very scary.  Lets hope the weathermen aren't as wrong as usual!
« Last Edit: Sat, 28 September 2019, 10:22:19 by suicidal_orange »
GMK Hyperfuse
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #27174 on: Sat, 28 September 2019, 10:38:25 »
... Is that a bad pizza chef?  Sounds like the kind of thing you'd say for a storm but though they were female...  Damn this mental fuzz.

It is a storm, but yellow flood warnings aren't very scary.  Lets hope the weathermen aren't as wrong as usual!

Watch the n00qs on the coast,  they NEVER issue evacuation until it's 2 late, and everyone's been irradiated.   This is a fact of Every nooq incident ever.  Then they'll cover it up, and said everyone was ok.

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #27175 on: Sat, 28 September 2019, 11:42:13 »

Lorenzo is a hurricane.  The only source I trust is https://www.nhc.noaa.gov/, but as always a margin of error is to be expected.

Offline Starius

« Reply #27176 on: Sun, 29 September 2019, 21:20:45 »
227166-0

Tomorrow morning, my father and I are going to take our cat Pumpkin to the vet.
She is 20 years old now... and her body is starting to fail her pretty fast.  I don't think she'll be able to hold on much longer. This is a older picture, but right now she looks so frail and just petting her almost knocks her over.
Pumpkin has been a part of my family for literally almost half my life.  She was my mother's cat really, by Pumpkin's own choosing.  She was abandoned on our farm as a tiny kitten in October of 1999 and mom found her crying under a tree.  Mom took her over to the barn to live with other farm cats, but Pumpkin bounded behind mom, following her back to the house... and well, she's been family ever since.

Mom passed away in 2010, and you can believe me or not, but Pumpkin took it just as hard as the rest of us.  Pumpkin's declining health has been difficult for my father and I too. 
We love her, and don't want her to go... but we don't want her to suffer, and there's no improving her life now.   She's had a pretty long life by cat standards.  People keep telling us we've given her a good life, but I tend to think that she's given us a good life too.

😢 

227168-1

Offline Kavik

« Reply #27177 on: Sun, 29 September 2019, 21:40:45 »
(Attachment Link)

She is 20 years old now... and her body is starting to fail her pretty fast.  I don't think she'll be able to hold on much longer. This is a older picture, but right now she looks so frail and just petting her almost knocks her over.
Pumpkin has been a part of my family for literally almost half my life.  She was my mother's cat really, by Pumpkin's own choosing.  She was abandoned on our farm as a tiny kitten in October of 1999 and mom found her crying under a tree.  Mom took her over to the barn to live with other farm cats, but Pumpkin bounded behind mom, following her back to the house... and well, she's been family ever since.

Mom passed away in 2010, and you can believe me or not, but Pumpkin took it just as hard as the rest of us.  Pumpkin's declining health has been difficult for my father and I too. 
We love her, and don't want her to go... but we don't want her to suffer, and there's no improving her life now.   She's had a pretty long life by cat standards.  People keep telling us we've given her a good life, but I tend to think that she's given us a good life too.

😢 

(Attachment Link)

Sorry to hear this. I got my cat around the same time as you, fall of '99 or thereabouts, and he passed away earlier this year. Twenty years is indeed a long time for a cat, but that doesn't make it any easier.
Maybe they're waiting for gasmasks and latex to get sexy again.

The world has become a weird place.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #27178 on: Sun, 29 September 2019, 21:54:08 »
(Attachment Link)

😢 

(Attachment Link)

You cuddle her with extra love tonight please.

Offline saint_james

« Reply #27179 on: Mon, 30 September 2019, 00:53:12 »
(Attachment Link)

😢 

(Attachment Link)

You cuddle her with extra love tonight please.

Zapped me right in the feels... so sorry for what you, your dad and Pumpkin are going through.  My heart aches.  Remember the good times and celebrate lives enriched by each others' company.
C = Q/V ≈ ε₀ (A/d)
Active: FC980C | FC660C Low-noise | RF 87u 55g | RF 23u
Inactive: WASD v2 | Pok3r | QFR | Aukey KM-G9 | Compaq RT101
Dead and buried: Microsoft Natural Keyboard Elite

Offline Starius

« Reply #27180 on: Mon, 30 September 2019, 10:23:39 »
Thank you guys.
I appreciate it.

😔

Always hug the ones you love.

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #27181 on: Mon, 30 September 2019, 11:06:16 »
Loads of scritches too

Offline sarahnicole

• //add comment here later
« Reply #27182 on: Tue, 01 October 2019, 11:29:57 »
Someone hit my new car over the weekend and didn’t leave a note or anything. Got an estimate, 2k of damages =_=

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #27183 on: Tue, 01 October 2019, 20:30:36 »
Someone hit my new car over the weekend and didn’t leave a note or anything. Got an estimate, 2k of damages =_=

You need a dash cam with a parking record kit.  The cam hooks up to your battery, so that it can record even when you leave it parked.

2 x wire kits + 2x cam + 2x microsd cards only cost ~ $300

That's less than $2000

Offline sarahnicole

« Reply #27184 on: Tue, 01 October 2019, 20:33:34 »

You need a dash cam with a parking record kit.  The cam hooks up to your battery, so that it can record even when you leave it parked.

2 x wire kits + 2x cam + 2x microsd cards only cost ~ $300

That's less than $2000

Yes! I literally bought one for the other car as soon as this happened. And I’m putting one in this car as well as soon as I get it back from getting fixed.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #27185 on: Tue, 01 October 2019, 20:35:34 »

Yes! I literally bought one for the other car as soon as this happened. And I’m putting one in this car as well as soon as I get it back from getting fixed.

Not to sound paranoid, buy 3x more.. front back , front back.. and check reviews on the parking wire up kit, because they're not all good and the kits don't work for all cams.

I would even hook up 4 cams per car if I could figure out how to mount them hahaha. but no solutions for left right.

Theoretically, With 6x cams per car, I could wire them all front and back, at an angle so it'd cover the side blind spots.

Did you go check the stores security cam to see if they still have the perp on file.

Offline fanpeople

« Reply #27186 on: Tue, 01 October 2019, 21:31:57 »

Not to sound paranoid, buy 3x more.. front back , front back.. and check reviews on the parking wire up kit, because they're not all good and the kits don't work for all cams.

I would even hook up 4 cams per car if I could figure out how to mount them hahaha. but no solutions for left right.

Theoretically, With 6x cams per car, I could wire them all front and back, at an angle so it'd cover the side blind spots.

Did you go check the stores security cam to see if they still have the perp on file.

If you are going to request security footage, you should do it soon. A lot of places only keep their footage for a short period of time.

Offline sarahnicole

« Reply #27187 on: Tue, 01 October 2019, 22:04:40 »
Sadly no security footage, it was parallel parked in a residential neighborhood. I'll only have to pay my deductible from my insurance instead of the full price but still frustrating.

Offline mizzoperator

• "This can't be good for me, but I feel great!"
    • Milk Time: The Mizz Domain
« Reply #27188 on: Wed, 02 October 2019, 12:58:48 »
I'm probably going to have to get my med dosage upped at some point. 60mg is just no longer working for me and I'm building up a tolerance.
I don't want my grades to plummet, so I'm either going to have to double up every morning or make an active effort to get the dosage increased.
That doesn't seem likely to happen though. I either have to take the hit or I try to go without it for a while, either way, the end result is the same  :'(
Linears are for linear people. No offense if you use linears.
I prefer tactile switches, I'm reluctantly using the AULA SI-859 and my pronouns are she/her.

Offline Steezus

• Keeper of Facts
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #27189 on: Wed, 02 October 2019, 17:49:44 »
I asked my professor if I was able to use the C99 standard for my C code as the default selection did not recognize one of my loop declarations. I was told that it was allowed and received my grade back with a 15% deduction specifically stating that the points loss was because the default standard would no compile my code. After emailing and reminding her that she told me that c99 was allowed, I received only 5% back on my grade.
TGR-Jane CE | TGR-Tris CE | Lyn Montage | LZ PhysiX | Exclusive e8.5

Offline iri

« Reply #27190 on: Wed, 02 October 2019, 17:51:46 »
I asked my professor if I was able to use the C99 standard for my C code as the default selection did not recognize one of my loop declarations. I was told that it was allowed and received my grade back with a 15% deduction specifically stating that the points loss was because the default standard would no compile my code. After emailing and reminding her that she told me that c99 was allowed, I received only 5% back on my grade.
I hope your education is free of charge?
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline sarahnicole

« Reply #27191 on: Wed, 02 October 2019, 17:52:00 »

Oooof, sounds like my operating systems professor.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #27192 on: Wed, 02 October 2019, 18:11:32 »

Kekekekeke. Politics.  It's not about your grade,  it's about Her Saving Face... 

This is probably why all these youngsters become hackers, to get back at these systems of abuse.

Hughmahnns teachers are such petty creatures.

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #27193 on: Wed, 02 October 2019, 18:57:38 »

TIL: the majority of the Linux kernel was written to the tune of C89/C90 standards.  Neat

Offline Steezus

• Keeper of Facts
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #27194 on: Wed, 02 October 2019, 22:41:56 »
I hope your education is free of charge?

Sadly that is not the case. Suppose to be an ABET-accredited school for my major but the staffing has turned a bit chaotic with a few tenures leaving.

Oooof, sounds like my operating systems professor.

The best part is that this is for my assembly class. Not only do we have to write the programs in C but then convert it to MIPS.

Offline iri

« Reply #27195 on: Thu, 03 October 2019, 03:37:17 »
Not only do we have to write the programs in C but then convert it to MIPS.
:confused:
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline Steezus

• Keeper of Facts
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #27196 on: Thu, 03 October 2019, 11:42:36 »
Not only do we have to write the programs in C but then convert it to MIPS.
:confused:

You're telling me haha. The silver lining in it all is that it forces to me write more efficient C code so it doesn't turn into a disaster when writing in MIPS. I hate how one line of C can potentially turn into 10+ lines of MIPS.

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #27197 on: Fri, 04 October 2019, 21:03:41 »
Goram politics.

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #27198 on: Sat, 05 October 2019, 04:26:01 »
The best part is that this is for my assembly class. Not only do we have to write the programs in C but then convert it to MIPS.
Do you have to write your code in a weird order to account for the branch delay slot?

I have only looked at the MIPS ISA, but I don't think it is that bad, really, compared to what is out there ... except for the branch delay slot.
Once upon a time in my youth, I had learned 6502 and then 68000 and thought myself proficient in that.
Then I wanted to learn x86 assembly language - for 16-bit Intel 286... and I had a hard time believing how primitive it was. 16-bit pointers and having to use separate instructions to change segments to address out of 64K. "Is this a joke? This is a 8-bit CPU with stuff tacked on!".

Offline SBJ

• Tactile pls
« Reply #27199 on: Sat, 05 October 2019, 04:28:39 »
Slow downloads on my Linux machine.
Narrowed it down to a software issue, as I've installed a new gigabit ethernet pci card. Still exactly the same slow download speeds.