Author Topic: PBT Keycaps  (Read 7208 times)

Offline Eeps

PBT Keycaps
« on: Tue, 19 June 2012, 03:05:22 »
I've had my Filco Tenkeyless for a while now and am just now discovering that they have PBT keycaps and want some really bad.

I'm coming to you guys for help here, where can I get the highest quality PBT keycaps for a price at around 50 bucks? I want to get white blank keycaps and just want to make sure I'm buying a quality product before I drop $50

Also, I was in a thread earlier and reading about someone talking about "Profiles" when it came to keycaps. Can someone clarify for me what exactly this person was talking about? I want to make sure I'm getting the right profile of caps for my keyboard

Also, I've been looking at these caps

http://www.vendio.com/stores/E-sports-Gaming-equipments/item/pbt-key-caps/104-pbt-white-blank-key-caps-f/lid=27419392

and wondering if these are a good buy. Ive never bought from this site before and am curious about the quality of the caps overall.

Will check the thread when I wake tomorrow morning. Thanks to all that help.

Offline Djuzuh

PBT Keycaps
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 19 June 2012, 03:07:03 »
you can buy the set from qtan (the one you linked) without any worries.

I don't think you'll find something better somewhere at this price.

Offline MMB

• I no longer use this account. Please email me.
PBT Keycaps
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 19 June 2012, 03:09:29 »
The vendio site belongs to qtan here on GH. You can check his forum out here:

http://geekhack.org/forumdisplay.php?81-Elite-e-sports-gaming-equipment

He's a good dude.

You can also check out Feng's ebay store. If you message him on these forums, he will sell to you for a lower price.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/tangxiruotxr/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_from=&_ipg=&_trksid=p3686

Offline sawedust

• Zealot Chef
PBT Keycaps
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 19 June 2012, 03:24:45 »
I got my black engraved PBT keycaps from qtan.  The caps will fit on any MX board, so you'll be okay.  Not sure about the Leopold though; if you have that board, you might want to ask around.  Boards with Costar stabilizers (like Filco, Das, CM) should be fine.  As far as the caps go, they're pretty high quality; I love the rough texture and the way they sound.  Makes typing on the keyboard a lot more enjoyable.

Recently I purchased MagicMeatball's set of thick blank PBT caps from imsto.  I like these a lot better because of the otaku look, lower profile, and muted sound in comparison to the engraved PBT caps from qtan.

Profile refers to the height of the keys.  The engraved caps from qtan have a standard profile, which is stock Filco/Das/Ducky height.  The thick blank PBT caps from imsto have a Cherry profile, which sits a little bit lower.

I commend you for investing in a quality set of keycaps; they'll make your typing experience much more enjoyable.

Enjoy and hope this helped!
find me on twitter: @sawedust
starcraft 2 related blog: QuanticSawe.851
QuanticGaming.com

Offline precarious

• LOOK MOM, I'M A DRAGONZORD! DOOOO DODOODODODOODOO
PBT Keycaps
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 19 June 2012, 08:52:09 »
I figure this thread touches upon enough of the same topics I'm wondering about, so I'll throw my question in here.  With all these expensive keycaps I've been acquiring lately, I've noticed they're a lot lower profile than the stock keycaps on my Filco.  Where can I find a set of PBT blanks with a profile that matches keys such as the riddler ? replacement and various other F/number row keys?  Do the ones already mentioned in this thread match the profile of the ones made by SP (such as from novelty group buys)?

These "thick blank PBT caps from imsto" sound good, but I'd like to avoid buying several sets of keycaps to find the right ones if possible. :)
« Last Edit: Tue, 19 June 2012, 08:56:47 by precarious »

Offline Djuzuh

PBT Keycaps
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 19 June 2012, 08:57:38 »
No, the cap proposed by those vendors are not SP profile, only SP makes those cap at this particular profile I*believe.

Offline precarious

• LOOK MOM, I'M A DRAGONZORD! DOOOO DODOODODODOODOO
PBT Keycaps
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 19 June 2012, 09:20:59 »
So everyone just likes rolling with mismatched keycaps? :(

Offline Djuzuh

PBT Keycaps
« Reply #7 on: Tue, 19 June 2012, 09:22:03 »
that or they have bought a SP full set in one of the numberous GBs.

(like the red alert that just closed, or the miami one, or the GB*R4)

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
PBT Keycaps
« Reply #8 on: Tue, 19 June 2012, 09:35:13 »
Quote from: precarious;616978
So everyone just likes rolling with mismatched keycaps? :(
They're not that far off, so lots of people like me put up with it. It's not really noticeable in everyday living, especially if your alphanumerics all match profile.

That said, I do have fullsets on most of my keyboards (SP blue PBT, WYSE, etc) The only exclusion has cherry on most of it, SP RGB and moogle, and devlin for the F# Keys. I don't really use it that much, though.

Offline Eeps

PBT Keycaps
« Reply #9 on: Sun, 24 June 2012, 23:55:06 »
I have another question. How long does Qtan usually take to ship. Ive been waiting for a while and they still arent here. Im in California

Offline khromosone

Re: PBT Keycaps
« Reply #10 on: Thu, 19 July 2012, 22:58:41 »
Do people rate Qtans white key caps? Want them to be the first and only caps I need to buy.

Offline junkimchi

Re: PBT Keycaps
« Reply #11 on: Sat, 21 July 2012, 00:57:36 »
I recently bought a set of blank white PBT caps from qtan and they feel and look great! Been using them for a few hours a day for about two weeks now and so far no signs of wear. They are still pretty clean too!